ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

Dragon Keeper bugs

[Post New]by ShazPG on May 16, 11 10:14 PM
Note to prospective customers: Please don't read this thread and determine not to buy the game based on its contents. It's a wonderful game - I'm about to begin my 10th play through The bugs below are not gamestoppers, just little annoyances at the most.

In case the developers check in, here are some of the bugs I've encountered (and remembered) while playing this game:

Long periods of game freezing
When I click to start a day, the "day start" sfx plays and the hud disappears, the mouse is frozen in place, and nothing happens for 10-15 seconds.
When the day ends, the "day end" sfx plays and the hud reappears, the mouse is frozen in place, and nothing happens for 10-15 seconds.
When I click DONE to finish a quest, I'm given my reward, then there's a long period where the game is frozen before the dragon appears and gives me my next quest.
When I switch between the jewel-making screen and the cave screen, I click on the button to switch, everything freezes for a long time, then I go to the new screen.

Issues with going between cave and menu
When I'm between-days in the cave (back at the HUD where I can buy & sell), if I go back to the previous screen (with the islands) or back to the menu, then return to the cave, it takes me back to the state at the end of the previous level, and puts back stuff that the imps have cleared. Then I get the "day end" sfx (even though I was between days when last in the cave), the game freezes up as mentioned above, all the extra stuff disappears, then I'm taken to the menu. The game seems to transition between 2 or 3 different stages within the cave before it returns me to the state I was at prior to going to the menu.

Money reward - text and image don't match
One of the very first quests in each cave is to get a certain number of the first type of gem. On at least one of these, I completed the task and clicked DONE, and I was told I had earned 20 gold for completing the task. But in the same 'reward' panel, where the picture of the gold was, it had 30 beside it. I didn't pay enough attention to see whether I actually got 20 or 30.

ZAP Master trophy given incorrectly
After starting a new profile, I obtained the ZAP Master trophy on day 11 of cave 1. This trophy is for using essences to defeat 8 enemies in a row. There were only 6 enemies in the cave on that day - I could only have picked up 6 essences, and only killed 5 enemies with them.

Edited on 05/17/2011 at 7:54:44 PM PST

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

Re:Dragon Keeper bugs

[Post New]by ShazPG on May 16, 11 10:24 PM
(ran out of room above)

Dragons and Creatures go for walks and don't come back
When a day ends, the dragons and creatures are supposed to return to their nests and sleep. Sometimes, most of them do this, but some keep walking around, and they go off the screen. On one occasion, I had two imps that disappeared off the screen. When I started the next day, their work areas were set up waiting for them, but it was half way through the level before they actually wandered back onto the screen and back to their stations to work. On other occasions I've had dragons that have gone walking and not come back unless they were hungry at the same time as another, and came back for the food I threw out for the other. A few times they haven't come back on at all (obviously hungry and I couldn't see/feed them) and the next day I had an egg to rehatch.

If a dragon or creature is walking around instead of sleeping, but doesn't go off the screen while I've got the hud open (can buy/sell, etc), when I begin the next day, that dragon or creature often WILL go off the screen.

Cave population not always visible
The banner at the top that shows the population and amount of gold slides on and off the screen. It seems, during the day when everyone's active, only the amount of gold is shown, and when an imp clears some debris, the banner quickly slides on to show me the cave capacity has increased, then slides out of the way again. Sometimes when the day is over, this banner does not slide back onto the screen, and I cannot see my cave population and capacity. If I try to put more dragons/creatures on than will fit, I get the message that I've reached the limit and the particles show over the population banner, but it's all off the edge of the screen.

That message, btw, says "Expand YOU cave", not "Expand YOUR cave", I think.

Cannot pick up gems when dragons are eating chef's food
If I have a chef and I throw out some food that he's cooked, when the dragons are eating the food, I can't pick up gems around them. Even though they're not showing the 'hungry' sign, my cursor turns into a drumstick and nothing I click on is collected.

This is a very cute game and I've played it through quite a few times. I'd love to see some of these things fixed.

Edited on 05/17/2011 at 1:27:46 AM PST

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on May 16, 11 10:34 PM
Dragon giving quests/rewards assumes hud is visible, but it's not always
Sometimes I have only a few more gold to go to achieve a quest, and no more gems to sell or craft. So I might sell an imp or a troll or two. While selling things from the cave, the hud is gone. If I reach the goal while still selling, I can click on the DONE without clicking on the X to end sell-mode. Then the big dragon appears and gives me my reward. If the reward is access to something new, the arrow appears pointing to where the hud WOULD be, but because I'm still in "sell" mode, the hud isn't actually there, and the arrow is pointing to nothing.

MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by MzShel on May 21, 11 9:30 AM
Like you, I have the same bugs. I love the game, but these bugs are annoying and take the fun out of the game. Sure would like to see a fix.

Orchid_Witch
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by Orchid_Witch on May 22, 11 9:23 AM
Like all the others, I would encourage people to buy this game despite the bugs. I have not enjoyed a game as much as I enjoy Dragon Keeper. My bug is in reference to restarting a chapter. I got so involved in the fun, that I forgot to go for the goal in the third chapter and had to start it again to get Master level. The bug comes in here. Say you restart a chapter then leave the game in the middle of this chapter, when you come back to it, the goal is gone. You just keep playing and playing with no end and no progression. I would just play the whole chapter at once (no problem with that since it's so fun), but my computer freezes just about every time that I play this. So, every time I reboot, I come back to the level I was on-but with no goal with which to go forward. I'll start the whole game over, (again, no problem with that, I was sad that I was about to end the game) but the bug is there, nonetheless, for others. And again, despite the bugs, BUY THIS GAME! You won't be disappointed.

Oh, and the bug about characters walking off of the screen. I found that they did that when I would jump the gun and do something, like buying food or clicking "DONE" for the task, before they went to sleep. Let them go to bed and then go about what you need to do.

MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by MzShel on May 25, 11 4:42 PM
By no means did I mean to imply that the game wasn't fun and thoroughly addicting. It's a great game and I adore it. However, these bugs should have been found by beta testers and should have been fixed well before the game was put on the market. I only mentioned them because I'm hoping a sequel is in the future and I wanted the developers to take care of the bugs before making it.

tangawarra
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tangawarra on Jan 30, 12 12:40 PM
ShazPG wrote:(ran out of room above)

Dragons and Creatures go for walks and don't come back
When a day ends, the dragons and creatures are supposed to return to their nests and sleep. Sometimes, most of them do this, but some keep walking around, and they go off the screen. On one occasion, I had two imps that disappeared off the screen. When I started the next day, their work areas were set up waiting for them, but it was half way through the level before they actually wandered back onto the screen and back to their stations to work. On other occasions I've had dragons that have gone walking and not come back unless they were hungry at the same time as another, and came back for the food I threw out for the other. A few times they haven't come back on at all (obviously hungry and I couldn't see/feed them) and the next day I had an egg to rehatch..

Mine have started to wander off immediately after waking up and then they die off screen, also I can't collect any gems. HELP

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Dragon Keeper bugs

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jun 10, 12 2:41 PM
ShazPG wrote:Note to prospective customers: Please don't read this thread and determine not to buy the game based on its contents. It's a wonderful game - I'm about to begin my 10th play through The bugs below are not gamestoppers, just little annoyances at the most.

In case the developers check in, here are some of the bugs I've encountered (and remembered) while playing this game:

Deleted for obvious reasons; An extremely accurate and thorough list and explanation of bugs encountered in this wonderful game.

Thank you ShazPG

I, too, highly recommend this game; bugs and all.

Hours of fun and I have replayed this game 3 or 4 times already

One issue that ShazPG didn't cover (may not have encountered) is

When the diggers clear an obstacle, increasing the possible population, just as the day ends, if there is a pile of gold found, it disappears just like the gems on the ground disappear.

This is very frustrating because you can't control the speed of the worker, and you don't know which obstacles have piles of gold under them.

This has happened twice now on my 4th island and probably cost me the expert win.

Just remembered another issue.

You can't restart an island until you have finished it.

I must repeat that even though it might sound like there are a lot of issues with this game, it is a true joy to play.

These notes are written in the hopes that the developers are listening to their customers.

I also agree that these issues should have been picked up by the testers and been dealt with before it was ever released.

Thank you for a wonderful game!

Angel

Go to: