DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Joy of Farming

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 18, 11 12:14 AM
Post your comments and reviews here for the Joy of Farming.

Hi DeadRiver,

top of the morning to you! Thanks for starting the Comments and Reviews thread. I stickied it for you.

Hey Fishies!

What do you think of The Joy of Farming? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 05/18/2011 at 1:31:28 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Joy of Farming

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 18, 11 12:53 AM
Thanks for establishing the comments and review thread, Dead River, even though you don't like TM games!

I'm not impressed with this TM game, although I admit that I have only played ten minutes. It has the usual features of farming games--planting, watering, harvesting, and selling, as well as thieves who steal your produce--but it seems more cumbersome to me than the usual TM farming game. In the third level, you have to purchase rope ladders to enable your farmers to reach the storage shed, and it was unclear to me if the seeds replanted themselves or whether you had to purchase new ones constantly. The thieves turned up on all levels, and they were actually quite hard to click away [spoiler alert]: you had to click the bush that they were in and then click the thieves themselves to create a cage around them, which just seemed unnecessary.

The music was innocuous, and the art work cartoonish. The action (which I guess I expect in a TM game) wasn't fast enough or complicated enough to interest me and made me just want to go to bed.

I look forward to other reviews and comments because I still have 50 minutes if I have misjudged the game.

Mystic_cam
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Mystic_cam on May 18, 11 12:57 AM
I agre. The clicking on the thieves is just tedious. Instead of being able to plan and make the management enjoyable you just have to keep clicking on way too many thieves. Even upgrading the cage didn't help. Unless there is an upgrade that improves this part of the gameplay I wouldn't bother, and I am a fan of these types of games.

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on May 18, 11 12:59 AM
H0 hum zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jojo

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on May 18, 11 1:11 AM
I deleted the game with 18 minutes remaining. When I saw it was from Alawar I was very excited (I love Virtual Farm) but this game is more similar to Farm Frenzy. You have to buy your buildings in the shop, then you have to pay to put them on your farm. I'm afraid I lost interest in that a long time ago.

I only got up to about level 7, and in that time I had to play one level 4 or 5 times to get gold, and another I played 3 times and only managed silver. I'm just not into games anymore where you have to play levels over and over to get gold, or settle for less and take longer to get better upgrades.

@Lucy1997, clicking on the bushes doesn't help catch the thieves any faster - you can just keep doing your stuff until the thieves shake the bushes and throw them away. Then you can catch them.

A few times, I bought the juice plant, but I couldn't tell it to make juice, even though there were carrots in storage waiting. Not sure what the deal is there.

Sorry, a no-buy from me. Too much like Farm Frenzy.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on May 18, 11 1:33 AM
Thanks for brought us another TM game!!!

Another farming game from Alawar, very similar to Farm Frenzy. The game looks interesting and fun but not fun as it looks, a bit boring and confusing....The graphics is cute and colorful. Don't quite like it, delete after 20 mins - sorry but not for me!

joray2
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by joray2 on May 18, 11 2:56 AM
I am so sick of hidden object games that I was so happy to see a TM today. This is one of the worst TM's I have ever played. A bit of an over kill with the thieves. The fact that you plant one carrot at a time,stinks. A No Buy for me. I need a good TM game,please!

Edited on 05/18/2011 at 2:59:30 AM PST

FunIt
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by FunIt on May 18, 11 3:08 AM
I have to agree with the general opinion here. I love Farm Frenzy and Alawar, but to me this game is nothing like it. The workers are slow and have to move up and down this ladders, only 3 slots in the storage and 2 in the shop. I know you can upgrape all this, but it costs money to buy the upgrade and then again to actually apply it. And I hate those thieves, too.
I've been trying to get gold on lvl 3 or 4 for many, many times, but no sucess.
Very, very frustrating game.

adr8p
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by adr8p on May 18, 11 3:29 AM
Hi, i'm on the level where u have to sell tomatoes (about level 5 or 6) as well as carrots, thing is i dont have tomato seeds just carrots and i dont know how to get them, if they are unlocked later in the game how do i complete this level to move on to the next in which they are unlocked??? help please

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 18, 11 3:55 AM
Actually, I quite like this game & was considereing using a punch credit to buy.

But then I got to the same place as adr8p & can not finish the level as I have no tomato seeds.

if some kind soul can tell me where I am going wrong I may even still consider purchasing.

Jojo

Mystic_cam
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Mystic_cam on May 18, 11 4:10 AM
adr8p wrote:Hi, i'm on the level where u have to sell tomatoes (about level 5 or 6) as well as carrots, thing is i dont have tomato seeds just carrots and i dont know how to get them, if they are unlocked later in the game how do i complete this level to move on to the next in which they are unlocked??? help please

If you click on the fence in the bottom left panel you can upgrade the field (I think for 238 stars) by clicking on a triangular icon. This allows you to buy tomatoes.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 18, 11 4:53 AM
I have played almost the full trial time and like this game. Its a really nice farming game. To all tm-lovers: Give this game a try, maybe you will like it too

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on May 18, 11 6:08 AM
Not for me. I played up to the third level and then there were more thieves running around than I could keep track of. Never had a chance to plant anything because when I put a cage around the thief it didn't stay there and more kept coming.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 18, 11 6:28 AM
Hello all.

I caved in & bought it, I have just done level 7 (I think? )

Now I would like to address a few things. When the last few Farm Frenzy games came out there were a lot of complaints about " same old same old" . I am currently replaying FF ancient Rome).

So here is a similar game that is NOT "same old same old"

Sure, there is a steep learning curve at the beginning. I am having to play each level 2-3 times at least to get gold & sometimes to get silver. But as said, the upgrades can be bought & do make a difference.

In FF we caged bears, here we cage robbers.

In FF we sold our goods via a cart, here we sell them through a shop.

In FF, we made pancakes etc out of eggs, here we make carrot juice out of carrots etc.

Those robbers are a nuisance, but once I had up graded the cage, it was easier & you get an instant $ rather than having to sell them.

This game is along the same premise as FF but is very different & I am glad I bought it.

I know it will be tough , but I also know I will get hours of play from it so it is also good value.

If and when I get any further I'll post again on my progress but from me it is a

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on May 18, 11 6:49 AM
I am so sad to read some of the comments here - give this game a chance - it has Alawar touch to it, sure (& what's wrong with the farm frenzy serious anyway? I love it!) but is also pretty different from most farm games I played 'till now.
I think this game needs more than 10-20 minutes of playing to realize just how great it is and I love it! I think it's a great game - refreshing and I'm very happy BFG brought it here - thank you!!!

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on May 18, 11 7:23 AM
I played the demo for this game a couple weeks back. My biggest complaint would be it never gets any better. The screens change a little, that's it. The crooks are easy to catch they walk in a straight line. They get even easier to catch as you upgrade the cage. Personally I think this should be categorized as a child's game. My 5 and 8 year old grandson's loved it and after the 3rd level I just sat here and watched them play it till they ran out of time. They just took turns on each level. While one was playing the other was the look-out. "Thief!" The graphics are adorable. I just couldn't get into it. I did leave it on my PC though. I figured it would be good for a rainy day when they're bored. Or for one of those days when they want to drive Grandma even crazier than she already is, I'd purchase it for them and they'll have something new to play.

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on May 18, 11 8:24 AM
I was excited to see a new TM game, but boy does it have steep learning curve, you cannot judge it on 10 min alone. Got gold on first 4 levels, and found if you click on the carrot immediately after he plants the first one, the 2nd gets planted too.
Not excited at all about so much clicking on thieves and so many of them in one level.
You really have to think about strategy here, what to buy and when.
Not a game to relax with, the thinking cap must be in high gear all the time.
I will probably buy it down the road, but meanwhile enjoying Hobby Farm.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on May 18, 11 8:28 AM
HoHum Three TM games in the last 2 weeks --three of them farming games-one a slight variation of Ranch Rush but not as long & this one a variation of Farm Frenzy, which in my opinion has been done to death Hate having to keep moving off task to click,click,click to cage the robbers. Artwork is cute & to be fair it might be fun for kids--the little elves are cute.

I would love to see more TM games that are not farms. There is an old game called Miss Management that is set in an office that was great. Jet, Set, Go was a step in the right direction. Please developers--give us some more TM games that don't revolve around farming!!!

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on May 18, 11 9:11 AM
This game does take a bit of getting used to and thinking. There is little doubt to my mind that it would benefit from a little clearer tutorial (and can we choose to use the tutorial or not? ) It isn't clear how to make carrot juice, plant tomatoes or even catch robbers. That being said, that once you figure out how to do these things and how to make money to do so, the game play is very similar to the aforementioned farm frenzy.

You start with a "helper" on a farm, and you must tell him what to plant. In the beginning, only carrots are available to him. You must keep him supplied in seeds and water. Underneath the well and the farm are little squares. If the square is empty, you need to purchase either seeds or water. They carry their produce to the supply room and then you must choose what you wish to sell. In the beginning, the storage room and the shop are a quite small, so you will be doing this with great frequency. After a bit, thieves appear to steal your goods.

The thieves, to me, are MUCH better than the bears in frenzy. They are much easier to click and you won't accidentally click on something else (like a well) trying to stop your thief. You do, however, have to wait on them to come out from behind their bushes before you can cage them. As in all the farm frenzy games, the cage will be my first priority upgrade.

While some may consider this a children's game, I certainly don't. I suspect the later levels will become quite frenzy like and require a great deal of strategy. It took me several tries on most levels to get "gold" and I will not move on until I do so. This gives me extra stars to upgrade things like . . . cages.

A probable buy for me . Must wait a bit on the shape of my game card before a decision will be made.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on May 18, 11 9:14 AM
Sorry but I think this game involves way too much strategy to suit kids.
I got a feeling that people here just enjoy winning about TM games without appreciating the ones that involve a bit more than just serving tables...

I think it's a great game, really. It's much much better than some of the TM games people mentioned here in my opinion. So I guess it's a matter of taste and giving a game a fair chance.

I still prefer a game like this to the endless amounts of "adventure" hidden object games and I honestly think most of you are not giving this a fair chance.

I'm buying it and plan on having lots of fun playing it.

Thanx again BFG!

Go to: