DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Thunder Island.

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 22, 11 12:24 AM
Comments and Reviews for Escape from Thunder Island.

Edited on 05/22/2011 at 2:30:39 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Thunder Island.

[Post New]by TeamSD on May 22, 11 1:17 AM
Tried it and deleted it. Played for about 20 mins and don't like it, the graphics aren't so good and gameplay is confusing. Objects are hard too find, bad game - no buy fir me.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 22, 11 1:19 AM
I played for 40 minutes and I love the game! It's funny. Some objects are difficult to see. But the hint recharge quickly. It's a buy for me.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 22, 11 1:25 AM
Cartoon like graphics. Funny voice overs and cut scenes. I like the story but the objects and items are hard to see and find, there very un-defined. The hint re-loads fast enough, but the game does lead you through with the sparkles alot. Not a fan of the sparkles. Only one mode to play the game in. Widescreen and adjustable sounds. I like the game o.k. But because of the difficulties in being able to see and find the objects...I won't be paying full price. But I would get this game at DD,COTW. I do think it's worth a try.

I rate this game : PORK BELLY

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.
‘ ‘
(o)

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 22, 11 1:26 AM

Very tongue-in-cheeky!

If you're tired of grim games here is a contender that does not take itself seriously at all, but has reasonable mini-puzzles, animated comic strip cut scenes with voices, lots of reuseable inventory items and OK H0 scenes...

Edited on 05/22/2011 at 1:36:24 AM PST

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on May 22, 11 1:31 AM
Played for 10 minues and deleted it. Didn't like it.

Edited on 05/22/2011 at 1:32:37 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 22, 11 1:35 AM
I played this game for about half and hour, and I'm not sure I will order it.

The story is that your father's ship disappears, so you head off after him and end up crash landing on an island. Your mechanic/pilot stays to repair the plane, but you head into the jungle with your monkey.

So far, the hidden object scenes haven't been too difficult, but I have only had to solve a few puzzles. I have pieces to others, but need to find all the pieces in order to open the gate to the Aztec (?) temple.

The introduction and some intertitles have dialogue between the main character and her pilot; honestly, they are a bit irritating because the characters are cartoonish. I got tired of the heroines' blue eyes.

You can collect gold goings (80 get you something special), and there is a click penalty that has the cursor go into a loop-de-loop. (Don't you wish games would post this?!)

All in all, for me the first half-hour was okay, but nothing special

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 22, 11 1:36 AM
Good morning Fishes and what a great start to a day with this very fine game.

I have played 58 mins of the demo & it is a buy.

Well the read up promises us a kidnapped father , terrifying creatures, jungle killers and flesh eating monsters and incredible action. I downloaded expecting to feel disappointed, but I wasn't.

The options offer the usual and a mute all option and a cut scene volume option, but believe me, you don't want to miss those.

The into and cut scenes are very reminiscent of "The Wild Thornberry's" and if you love that series you will love this.

The heroine is a hapless explorer who is helped out by the cutest one eye monkey ever, Marbles.

You have gold coins to collect throughout.

There are sparkles to indicate object sceens, but I wasn't put off by them & the curser will change to an eye, hand, etc when needed.

You have a very impressive inventory including a crowbar, a machete and a catapult & you may be given a nudge like " Hmm i need to get through this very thick grass".

The H O scenes were quite difficult for me. Some objects were small, some a bit fuzzy & most very well blended. That would have put this on the maybe list, but other merits of this game have made it a must.

The hint button fills up quickly and c an be used both in & out of H O scenes.

There is a map that shows you where you are and what locations have things to do in etc, reminds you of your current objective and how many coins you have.

The puzzles so far have been fairly simple but pleasant.

I was 5 mins into Ch 2 after 58 mins but I am not a fast player. The map indicates that there is a decent length to this game.

As for the terrifying creatures, monsters etc well LOL see for your self, if The Wild Thornberry's scares you then this will.

There are spiders & snakes but not very prominent & they were some of the "fuzzier" objects I found hard.

Over click causes the curser to pivot on its point.

This game is by Big Finish Games, the same makers of the 3 cards series, but this one is definitely up beat.

I hope you enjoy as much as I.

Jojo

The story and the dialogue are hilarious.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on May 22, 11 1:44 AM
goofyduck: You are amazing! That was a great review.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 22, 11 1:49 AM
Review based on the demo:

The Good:

Very clear hidden object scenes moderately difficult. Mini puzzles that took some thought and time. One puzzle you had to find 12 puzzle pieces in 3 different scenes and then put the puzzle together. A cute story of an Amelia Aerhart Junior trying to find her explorer dad. Cute sidekick monkey pet, grumpy sidekick human mechanic, and the obligatory villain. There is a map that lets you know if you have found and done everything you are supposed to do at each location.

The Bad:

The music drove me crazy: sometimes congo drums, sometimes some type of crazy almost but not quite jazzy music.

The Ugly:

Nothing really. It was a cute, light hearted hidden object game with puzzles and a bonus if you find the gold coins scattered around each scene.

The Verdict:

A fun game but not my cup of tea.

Edited on 05/22/2011 at 1:52:33 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 22, 11 1:56 AM
grannyq wrote:goofyduck: You are amazing! That was a great review.

You're very right about that ! Jojo isn't bad either ! So nothing more to add, played 20 minutes and most probably a buy as I have 2 more pc credits to spend. Good graphics, a bit humourous, can't turn the sound on as my computer has decided to go on strike. Hope this post appears before tomorrow, it's getting slower and slower to post.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 22, 11 2:00 AM
SPIDER AND SNAKE ALERT for those who ask ... highlight to read

The bad news .... you have to find 5 snakes and 6 spiders in the second hidden object scene (a group of 3 spiders counts as one find).

The good news ... they are not very big .

There are also 6 small/medium and 1 large one in the scene where you go down a ladder as you are nearing the end of the game.

I liked the music at the very start of the game ... OK you can pick yourselfves up off the floor now ... and just had it playing softly for the game itself.

In my opinion this would have been a good game (despite the sparkles) if only the quality of the graphics were better which would enable us to see the objects more clearly. The fuzziness made searching for the half buried items harder to see as it did some of the tiny items in the H0 scenes and, IMHO, will need a lot of hints or a really good magnifying glass. In view of this I would not pay full price for this game but would pay half price.

Cherb

ETA ... whitened out spoiler

ETA2 ... Despite not liking the graphics very much I bought this game with a Groupon but I have to admit that it turned out to be worth the full $6.99 price as it kept my interest and provided several hours of enjoyment. As I progressed I became better at spotting the coins and tiles and so didn't use anywhere near as many hints as I thought I would.

There were some H0 scenes where the graphics were really sharp and I found it confusing as to why they didn't make the whole game like that because then it would have been excellent.

The tile puzzles were great despite not being able to see what the picture was properly and made a nice change from the normal ones.

I am now looking forward to the next game in this series.

Edited on 05/22/2011 at 5:32:15 PM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 22, 11 2:16 AM
I love this game . There is not really anything I can add to the GREAT and detailed reviews already posted. Kudos for them! Even though some of the objects are on the "small" ok very small (lol) side it is worth it. The hints refill fairly rapidly and the game is just plain funny! I was hooked after the intro and have had several lol moments playing the demo. Will it be for everyone, obviously not, but if you want light-hearted and funny give it a try. Needless to say, but say it I shall! This a buy for me! Thanks for the great game!! Happy Gaming All

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on May 22, 11 2:27 AM
thankyou jojo and goofy...fantastic reviews from you both

hendicky
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by hendicky on May 22, 11 2:32 AM
Like the music, like the graphics, but objects too small for my tired eyes. Shame, but no buy for me either.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on May 22, 11 2:35 AM
The sense of humor in this game is great! Some people like snarky comments well they should like this game, just make a few wrong moves.

I have to agree that a few of the HOs were hard to see, but other than that this is a very fun game and I love the monkey!

Now just waiting to see the length and if it is a good one I will buy it.

So far a 4 out of 5

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on May 22, 11 2:44 AM
i like this game using a credit for it the hint recharges quick to not got stuck yet but going to look at the walkthrou to see how long it is yes some objects hard to find and as say the hint button does not take long 10 and 1o all have a great day now besstan

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on May 22, 11 2:46 AM
pixielily wrote:The sense of humor in this game is great! Some people like snarky comments well they should like this game, just make a few wrong moves.

I have to agree that a few of the HOs were hard to see, but other than that this is a very fun game and I love the monkey!

Now just waiting to see the length and if it is a good one I will buy it.

So far a 4 out of 5
i agree this worth my credit besstan

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 22, 11 3:13 AM
Thanks DeadRiver for starting the Comments and Review thread! I've gone ahead and stickied it for you!

Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Escape from Thunder Island? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 05/22/2011 at 3:15:00 AM PST

evaree
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by evaree on May 22, 11 5:26 AM
I have finished the game and must say I enjoyed it very much. The animated cut scenes could have been avoided and were quite silly but all in all a fun buy.

Go to: