ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Hints for "Frozen Kingdom"

[Post New]by ecblisa on May 23, 11 11:54 AM
I am starting this thread because some people obviously did buy this game and may be struggling with it like I am, but don't want to just toss it, because it does have some merits (versatility, different requirements for different levels). I don't think it is boring, as some who played only the very beginning have said. So, here are a couple of hints from me, and I invite others to join in. I'll likely come later and add.

1. About those chains. Unlike most games, it is not making a match with the token under the chain that counts, but making a match in each space surrounding the chain (or at least one level of multiple chains). This presents some obvious challenges, like how to remember which ones you have missed. But, if you did not go through those annoying tutorial pop-ups, you might still be doing the wrong kind of matching.

2. Do use the turning board in those levels where it is available. It is of obvious use in the "bring the fire to the ice" bonus levels, but remember that it is always easier to wipe out a particular tile or obstacle at the top or maybe side of the board, rather than at the bottom.

3. Try different game modes. I have not yet (trying to learn the game in one mode first), but some levels may be much easier to beat in one mode than another.

4. Before you start a level, make sure you remember the objective. Break tiles? Move bonus tokens? Finish in X moves? Gather X number of certain color tiles? (Look for an open "collector" on the left and look for the color(s) needed as each starts to fill.)

5. Always play all bonus levels. They are rather fun, and this is the only way to get free power-ups. Oh, and don't use power-ups on the easy levels, you will need them later.

So, handing off to you all for now. Back to breaking my head against the monitor.

dallas50
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Re:Hints for "Frozen Kingdom"

[Post New]by dallas50 on May 23, 11 12:19 PM
I may be dumb, but I can't figure out how to get the frozen ice to the fire. It does nhot ove.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on May 23, 11 1:04 PM
Dallas, you have to move the fire, not the ice. You are absolutely right -- the ice will not move. And be very careful on any bonus board that doesn't turn (the early ones all do), because on those, getting the fire next to the ice (horizontally, instead of on top of it) can leave you with a big problem. One good thing about the fire and ice boards, though, is that you don't have to hit the ice exactly, you can drop the fire through it by clearing a space below, and it will still work. And, no, you are not stupid -- the reason I start help threads is usually that some games don't explain things adequately.

And one more general hint. Beware of levels (especially one with a click count) where you not only have to clear all the tiles but also remove all the chains in order to win the level (even if the chains are not over tiles). Nothing I've seen tells you that. I just ended up dumbfounded that I hadn't won after removing all the tiles, and found out by trial and error that I had to remove all the chains as well.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on May 25, 11 9:06 AM
Something that I had to create a new player half way through the trial in order to discover (turned off the tutorial too soon, I did, I did ) is that you can hold down the Ctrl key and it will remove the tiles from the board so that you can see the uncleared blocks below them. That was a major gripe of mine, that I couldn't see what still needed to be cleared, then I set up a new player and played through WITH the tutorial and learned that tip.

Once I played a little bit with the tutorial, I found it to be a fun game. Lots of different goals to accomplish on the different levels.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Hints for "Frozen Kingdom"

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jan 18, 12 10:24 PM
You may never see this, Jinnare, but: THANK YOU for the Ctrl hint. Exactly what I needed to keep me playing after having been away from the game for a long time and forgetting!

Go to: