bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Villa Banana

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on May 24, 11 12:47 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Villa Banana? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Villa Banana

[Post New]by jkuci on May 24, 11 12:55 AM
This is a variation on the M3 theme but it does not use the usual mechanisms of swap, chain etc.
I played this demo without really understanding the rules governing the game but it seems to involve moving the game pieces into empty slots and then matching 3 of the fruit designs to get the group and their game pieces off the board. But the available empty slots diminish in time and therefore it is impossible to move pieces after awhile.

Interesting game play, nice tropical-type music and you get to add "upgrades" to a tropical vacation villa scene if you win a level.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 24, 11 1:58 AM
I played the hour demo, and I rate this one an "almost".

The gameplay is like a lot of match-5's, but you only have to match 3. So that's "almost" unique...

I like the tropical style of the music, but the music's twangy quality was trying to give me a headache. If I would have found the music soothing, it might have boosted it to a "buy" for me.

I'm curious what's added to the gameplay beyond the demo, so I hope some buyers comment to let us know how it proceeds.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 24, 11 3:13 AM
I have tried also the trial time. This is an average match 3 game in my opinion. Its on my maybelist for now (games for daily deals). No buy yet, but maybe later

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on May 24, 11 5:54 AM
This seems to be short for a match-3 game. One of the screen shots shows 60 of 60 levels. Oh well, maybe at 2.99 and considering the long DL times with BFG lately I'll wait to try it.
Happy Gaming Fellow Fishies

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on May 24, 11 7:46 AM
An interesting take on M3. I wish this had been the prerelease rather than Frozen Kingdom, as so many people had technical issues with that game. This is a nice M3, with a timer that counts up, not down. The upgrades to your tropical retreat are fairly easy to earn, there are 24 of them. There are 60 levels, which get increasingly more challenging, nothing too hard though. Fun enjoyable hour demo.

This game is a B.

maziemom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by maziemom on May 24, 11 8:02 AM
I'll buy this one. This was my favorite kind of board in the Hidden Wonders of the Depths series, and I always thought that an entire game based on that kind of play would be something different.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 24, 11 8:26 AM
so, what we have here is 'atomica' with fruit... and some of the fruit is special... you get rainbow lemons that will match with any fruit, but not two different ones - so your threesome needs to be uniform - and that will make it a little easier when you start getting all kinds of crazy stuff going on on the board

i like the graphics and the music is nice and lifting for the island setting/theme.. very appropriate and the upgrades you buy with the points you earn with your wins are also very 'pretty' - you get to build up this 'hut' on the beach to be a very nice little lodging with lily pads floating in the stream and rocking chairs on the porch.. how serene

the levels get very complicated since more and more stuff gets added without any extra room... the boards change shape, though, which adds to the challenge of trying to clear the fruit without getting painted into corner oh, what a ride!

so if you think this is an easy match on the first few levels, well, that's to get your feet wet, get you into the groove of the game... then they start throwing oranges, red apples, raspberries and all kinds of other stuff at you! and nowhere to put it all! what now??? oh, yeah, bombs... a girl's best friend! take that pears!

anyway, i think this would have been a better release yesterday, but i understand that the mechanics make it not so mainstream and so it must take the back burner... but it is definitely prettier and more fun than the frozen antics of yesterday... and who doesn't like fruit?

let's see now... got my lime... got my coconut...

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on May 24, 11 9:03 AM
I also liked this game. As the levels progress, you really need to think and plan your moves ahead. I also like being able to buy things to upgrade the island home.

It's a buy for me. After my hour demo I had purchased 9 or 10 of the upgrades. I cannot remember what level I was on. There are 60 levels, so this game is a nice value for what you get.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on May 24, 11 10:06 AM
An interesting game that I think many will enjoy. For myself by the time I had got to the fifth or sixth level I was already having problems finishing the level, so I decided the game was not for me.I don't have very good skills at planning moves ahead and that is what this game needs.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on May 24, 11 11:16 AM
I've been enjoying this game, even though the type of Match-3 is not my favorite.

Pluses: Creative bonuses and creative (you have to think about how to solve them) board arrangements. You wouldn't believe how many of those diagonal bombs I have mis-aimed! I like being able to make diagonal matches. Also, the villa enhancements are fun.

Negatives: Option settings revert to preset every time you exit the game; there are occasional "illegal script" errors; some of the boards are very hard to keep open.

No, it's not the next great Match-3 game, but given the recent drought, it's rather nice. Yes, does have only 60 levels, but these "find a path to make a match" levels can take quite some time to play.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 24, 11 1:32 PM
I liked this Match 3 game. At first didn't know what I was doing as there were no instructions but once I caught on to what I had to do, it was quite nice. Enjoyed the music and played the entire trial. Don't think it's worth the $6.99 price so will wait and see if it ever becomes a DD,

Edited on 05/24/2011 at 1:33:29 PM PST

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on May 24, 11 3:11 PM
maziemom wrote:I'll buy this one. This was my favorite kind of board in the Hidden Wonders of the Depths series, and I always thought that an entire game based on that kind of play would be something different.

I totally agree, Maziemom. That was my favorite part of the Hidden Wonders of the Depths series, too. And I've been waiting for a game based on that concept as well. However, I wish there were some way to turn off the hints, but I don't see any. I don't like to play for speed, so I never beat the time bonus. I just wish the hints wouldn't show up as I'm planning my strategy -- very distracting!

I hope, though, that other game makers will build on this concept. Or are there other games like this out there? This one is very different from the traditional tileswapping Match 3s.

P.S. I just figured out to turn off the hint system. After you make a move, click on a random fruit. As long as it is spinning, no hints will appear. Then you can strategize your next moves without the distraction of a hint. When you're ready for your next move, just click on the fruit you want to move.

Edited on 05/24/2011 at 4:01:44 PM PST

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on May 24, 11 4:06 PM
ecblisa wrote:Negatives: Option settings revert to preset every time you exit the game; there are occasional "illegal script" errors; some of the boards are very hard to keep open.

Hmmm . . . I haven't had any trouble with the option settings resetting. They stay the way I had set them up each time I reopen the game. And I haven't had any "illegal script" errors. I use Windows XP if that makes any difference.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on May 24, 11 4:38 PM
I tried the demo but I won't be buying. I was really excited when I realized that it was like my favorite part of Hidden Wonders of the Depths, but I just can't get my head around the diagonal matches. I'd sit there looking for a match and then the hint would start flashing and sometimes I couldn't even see the diagonal match then. I don't know why this was happening with me because I'm usually a pretty "spatial" person. I played for almost 40 minutes but when I still wasn't seeing the diagonals I decided it just had to be me. I do love this style of match play and hope developers keep bringing out games like this. I just finished Emerald Tale and I'm ready for another go at that one. It has a lot of strategy because, as in Villa Banana, you look at the upcoming tiles to plan your matches. Have fun, fishies.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on May 24, 11 5:04 PM
I found this an annoying, un-user intuitive game, coupled with some obnoxious music and a lot of blinking/bouncing fruit. This is soo off my radar, I'd rate it "can't even see it happening".

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on May 24, 11 5:13 PM
For all of you who like this type of game play, try Emerald Tale. WAY more fun...and lots cuter! While I was demoing Villa Banana, I kept thinking that it was a lot like Emerald Tale...on fruit!!

JayneMae
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JayneMae on May 24, 11 6:55 PM
a no buy for me. love the M3 games to relax, but this one was not up to par. so sad - still waiting for a great M3 release!

fairlaine
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by fairlaine on May 28, 11 6:59 AM
i played the demo and bought this game,am on level13 and really enjoying it.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on May 29, 11 1:15 PM
A fun game if you like the style of gameplay in Oriental Dreams and Temple of Bast in Ancient Quest of Saqqarah. Gets pretty challenging once you get to about level 20, so if you want a game that's just entertaining or relaxing this is not for you. It took me a few boards to realize that you can match diagonally and this becomes important on the higher levels. I found the music rather soothing, but it got monotonous on longer levels since it loops over and over about every minute. Untimed, so take your time in planning out your strategy to clear all the plates. The challenge mode allows you to play a board for as many points as possible, but I found it boring compared to the regular mode play.

Noticed that sometimes the game was a little glitchy with dragging the fruits...there would be times when I wanted to move something several spaces, but it would only move the fruit one space. Being slow on the draw with dragging appears to be a good workaround for this issue. Currently at level 32 with 16 of 24 villa upgrades...can't wait to see what the finished house and yard will look like at the end!

Go to: