bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on May 26, 11 12:11 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 26, 11 12:32 AM
Hi there,
Great to see the official forums for this game up and running in a timely fashion.
This game is a long-awaited next instalment after the delightful Midnight Mysteries: Salem Secret.
So, what will we be looking for this time? More crows? More clovers? Feathers? (I hope not!!! ).
Obviously many of us are still DLing the game, but is there anyone out there who has either beta'd this game of played it elsewhere anything to offer while we wait in anticipation?
Cheers

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 26, 11 12:37 AM
Mine is downloaded, installed and ready to go. I may not come up for air for quite some time because I bought it... I love these Midnight Mysteries games and Mark Twain... oh goody!!! I am off to play... hooray! Enjoy the game everybody!!

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on May 26, 11 12:41 AM
it's great!! I played 15 minutes and love. I stop for buying it, and have coffee while it's downloading again
This one will give hours and hours of fun, I'm sure

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 26, 11 12:47 AM
Any Mumbo Jumbo I will tell you about this game is unbelievable! Only The Raven knows the truth...

Mark Twain hires the detective (honorable me ) to chase the demon which follows his soul... Great graphics, Walkthrough (Not the previous Strategy Guide we got), Raven hints, and a black cat penalty if you overclick...

It's already mine. Thanks developers, thanks BF!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 26, 11 12:51 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there,
Great to see the official forums for this game up and running in a timely fashion.
This game is a long-awaited next instalment after the delightful Midnight Mysteries: Salem Secret.
So, what will we be looking for this time? More crows? More clovers? Feathers? (I hope not!!! ).
Obviously many of us are still DLing the game, but is there anyone out there who has either beta'd this game of played it elsewhere anything to offer while we wait in anticipation?
Cheers

Hey DLO (if I may call you that !)--I Beta-tested this GEM a few months ago--it'll certainly reward your anticipation! I love anything to do with Mark Twain and the "Old Man River" steamboat era. Without going into a review (later, maybe), everything about this game is drop-dead gorgeous (soundtrack, graphics, scenery, storyline). Oh yeah, without giving anything away, "dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones." I wish you (and all gamers) "Good Luck" (to quoth the Raven)!

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 1:08:35 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 26, 11 1:23 AM
Hi there elldee,
Thanks for your comments as it makes it easier to reconcile the fact that I have already hit the Buy button for this game (with a BIG whinge, whine, groan, moan, cuss, curse (maybe some of this will avoid the censors)) about this series turning into a CE!!
Anyway, got hooked very quickly. OK, also familiar intro to those of us who have played the other games, but still very good value so far - I love a good story line. Absolutely no technical difficulties so far, the game fills my widescreen monitor, graphics great, sound, effects, music all OK, you get the usual "help" at the start and then its up to you.
Had to stop for bodily sustenance, so thought I would check out what anyone had to say.
This is obviously not a review, but a comment - and so far I have enjoyed myself immensely.
Can't wait to get back to it after I have eaten.
Cheers
DLO

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 1:24:09 AM PST

[Post New]by spookyliza on May 26, 11 1:28 AM
Love the game and will be buying it. The intro is great and that alone was nearly enough to make me buy. I knew it was my sort of game. The graphics are great, very clear. The Hidden Object scenes are not too hard. You find Ravens for hints. You also find 70 four leaf clovers. There are 7 chapters plus the bonus. So far it is not too difficult and the hints are quite specific about what to do next if you are stuck. Definitely worth a try for sure. Off to buy....

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 26, 11 1:38 AM
Obviously, many of us are eager for an adventure/hidden object game after the lengthy spate of TM games, and we seem to have hit the jackpot with this game.

The premise is that you are trying to help out Mark Twain's ghost, who takes you back to a haunted Mississippi river boat. You have to satisfy the demands of a number of ghosts (one is Tom Sawyer, standing in front of a fence, so that his solution is a no brainer), but you have to gain admission to the boat and then get free run of the boat by satisfying the demands of other ghosts. I assume that the pattern of ghostly demands will continue through the game.

The hidden object scenes aren't too hard, and I like that some of the items are described in ways that makes you think a bit (along the lines of saying "marsupial" instead of "kangaroo"--not an example I encountered in the game). In addition, you have to find objects and combine some of them in your inventory, which is kind of fun. You get extra hints for collecting crows, and you unlock a bonus game at the end if you collect 80 good luck clovers. I also like that the ghosts give you books--and not just by Mark Twain--that play into the puzzles that you must solve, albeit in different ways.

I clicked plenty and didn't discover a click penalty, though someone posted that there's a "black cat" penalty, which sounds scary enough. The hint button seems to work immediately as long as you have collected enough crows; I only used it once by mistake. You have a journal that records important information, pictures, and tasks, and you also know how far you are in the game because you are told that you have solved X percent of the problems, which should be helpful for judging the length.

The art work is dark, which makes some of those clovers hard to find. More important, those who are sensitive to flashing lights should NOT play this game: flashing lights don't bother me usually, but this game has a number of scenes that use them. It also has some hair-raising scenes: the one that made me jump a bit were some nasty looking vampire bats! I haven't seen snakes or spiders (at least not in abundance yet), so those may not be a problem.

The only problems I hit were minor: the acquisition of items is a little slow on my computer, and the ghost at the dock didn't want to give up his book (though did so eventually).

In sum, this looks like a fun, high-quality game, so I look forward to reading other reviews tomorrow! Happy gaming!

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on May 26, 11 1:53 AM
I played the entire hour and enjoyed it tremendously. I did actually get "set back" in my chair a few times, too. lol I usually don't over-react at the "things" that jump out at you but this one got me. Love It!!!!!

This is a great game and I am going to buy it for sure. I have only skipped one mini-game but I stuck with the next one till I solved it. Some different ones that I like. You really have to watch for the 4 leaf clovers so this will add some time to the game for me since I want those clovers and the "gift" you get for collecting them all.

I didn't check for length but I just got on the boat and I am trying to do what that ghost is making me do so I can continue on. So, for me, this seems like it will be a good length and work the price.

Happy Gaming everyone,
Joy

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 26, 11 1:54 AM
I give up, I am addicted... just purchased.

Love the Midnight Mysteries and of course the super great graphics and storyline. I love this game so far.

Since I have to peek at the SG once in awhile .. It keeps up with you and you dont have to flip 25 pages to get help.

Will fishie dance over to play now.

Happy gaming

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 26, 11 1:58 AM
it is a buy for me,and it works even on my "mathusalem" computer(10 years old,with oooolllllddddd nvidia graphic card(updated!)and if it is a bit slow and jerky when the objects go to inventory,i saw that some people with Win 7 have the same!it 'll be lack of taste to complain!
have good day(or night ) from france

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 26, 11 2:11 AM
Please, please, please can somebody kidnap my Buy Button and hold it for ransom until I get some of my other games finished . I am trying to reduce the amount I will have to redownload on a new computer, 6 years of being on for 16 hours a day has taken its toll on this one and it is wearing out .

I really, really want this game as the graphics are good and even though dark the objects are seeable and I like the story and all the sound (speakers still on at end of demo time ).

The skeleton hand cursor it is so beautiful to use after some of the clumsy, clunky ones we have had recently and you can see that you have actually clicked on the right object due to the nice thin pointy finger ... other devs please take note.

"Happy gaming everyone" says she enviously.

Cherb

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on May 26, 11 2:57 AM
I'll throw my 2 cents in and just say that this is a superb game. Has all the elements that the Midnight Mysteries are famous for....gorgeous graphics, great story, suspense, a real thriller chiller. Caution to players sensitive to bright lights...the game is not overly loaded with them but does have a few. Oh, yes...there is a bat that will take your breath away....I'll say no more . A must buy here. Happy gaming to all

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on May 26, 11 3:25 AM
Another superb game! The graphics and animations are AMAZING!!! Beautifully done, full screen gameplay! There're not many HOG scenes, it more adventure/puzzle. The puzzles are not quite hard too. The only thing that i don't like is the story, a bit confusing. Overall, this is another great IHOG i will buy!!!

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 26, 11 3:44 AM
I played this game for 34 minutes, was hooked after 5 but couldn't stop playing! I don't even care that I will have to play in because of the flashing lights. It's worth it !!! As everyone has already stated the graphics and just everything are right over the top! The only problem I had was finding where to put my name and finally found that on my way out of the game (click on the little gears to the right of the Welcome Player at the top of the main menu scene) I clicked on everything BUT the little gears and gave up and went on and played! lol! Now all I have to do is decide whether to start over as myself or just finish the game as Player! Doesn't really matter, just gotta play it! Thanks and Devs for a really great CE Thursday! May we have more, please? Off to make this one officially MINE, MINE, MINE Happy Gaming Everyone

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on May 26, 11 3:55 AM
I am only fifteen minutes into the game but wanted to add my two cents. Agree that the graphics are fantastic! The inventory items are cleverly placed (no obnoxious sparkles so far) and not too obvious. The hidden objects scenes are easy-medium difficulty. The only mini-game I ran into was easy. The story line is a bit confusing, but I am having fun playing the game. 15 minutes in I only finished 2% of the game. Will wait to confirm length before buying.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on May 26, 11 4:14 AM
I played the demo and had 12 minutes left, The game is awesome and of course i bought the game, I know most it will bring many hours of fun..The graphics was awesome and so was the sounds thx BF and Dev;s, You all have done a great! job keep up the good work..

Nijimasu
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by Nijimasu on May 26, 11 4:22 AM
I was looking forward to this game's release after doing the beta test a couple months ago. While I'm not sure I'll shell out for the collector's edition, I do plan to buy and play this game at some point.

While waiting for Devil on the Mississippi, I played Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trial and loved it (the Edgar Allen Poe game in the same series seemed a bit less interesting and less polished than the other two).

Anyway, Devil on the MIssissippi seems to be a high quality game with a good mix of hidden object scenes and puzzles that move the plot along. There is enough historical detail to make you feel like you are almost learning something and the spooky atmosphere doesn't let you get bored.

[Post New]by moosette138 on May 26, 11 4:50 AM
I think it would be a great game, I tried the free trail, but a long part of my 1 hour was sitting waiting for the intro to finally play thru, then for the puzzles took forever for the skip button to finally pop up. It doesn't save to where you've gotten to if you have to leave, you have to go back thru the entire intro, re-play what you have already played before you can get to where you were. Need to work some kinks out of it before I would consider buying it, it's to expensive for me, if it was the normal price I might consider it.

Go to: