bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Nancy Drew: The Trail of the Twister

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on May 26, 11 12:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Nancy Drew: The Trail of the Twister? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nancy Drew: The Trail of the Twister

[Post New]by rhorho on May 26, 11 12:26 AM
Why is there no trial of this game? Is it always like that with the Nancy Drew games?

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on May 26, 11 2:13 AM
There are never trials for Nancy Drew games as they are Large Files.
Perhaps watch a you tube walkthrough video for this game to give you an idea of gameplay.

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on May 26, 11 2:14 AM
You can go on Her Interactive homepage and try the minigames and demos there to see whether you like that game, or Nancy Drew games in general. If you have played a few and liked those, you are sure to like all the others as well, more or less.

As for comments and reviews - there are a bit too many chores to do in this game, and not enough actual twister-chasing. It might be like that in real life, but still. And I found the driving was a bit boring compared to CLK. However, there were some nice puzzles and minigames, and you can find money (wherever you see a penny shining - there are loads of them to collect!) to buy sweets! And the end is quite surprising and nerve-racking.

So, overall a C+

tuskel,
sincerely

(And I would also like to say - hooray, another Nancy Drew game in BFG! )

Another edit - music is really good again. I love it.

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 9:06:58 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 26, 11 5:51 AM
I'm surprised to see a Nancy Drew as a soft release, but this particular title is probably bit sensitive right now, with the frightening weather in the U.S. lately. I love the ND series - it's the only pure adventure genre that I really enjoy.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on May 26, 11 6:11 AM
sinshack wrote:I'm surprised to see a Nancy Drew as a soft release, but this particular title is probably bit sensitive right now, with the frightening weather in the U.S. lately. I love the ND series - it's the only pure adventure genre that I really enjoy.

The game is a year old. No point in making it a TGT.

Annietano
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Annietano on May 26, 11 6:47 AM
Sorry, but the timing on this one couldn't be worse given what Oklahoma and other Midwest/Southern states are waking up to lately. I just can't get behind playing a game about something so real and devastating. I appologize for using this forum to express that.

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on May 26, 11 9:05 AM
Annietano wrote:Sorry, but the timing on this one couldn't be worse given what Oklahoma and other Midwest/Southern states are waking up to lately. I just can't get behind playing a game about something so real and devastating. I appologize for using this forum to express that.

I hear what you are saying, but the game is addressing the issue - they are trying to research the hurricanes to prevent them, or at least develop a reliable system for forecasting them. And there is one character who has lost a person close to him thanks to hurricanes. It's good to bring these issues out to the public, where lots of people who never experience the devastation can start sympathizing. I've never seen a real hurricane, but I must say, after playing this game I feel differently about them. Before I was quite indifferent - yeah, there are these things, but they are far away and don't concern me, you know.

I agree about the timing.

tuskel,
sincerely

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 9:08:51 AM PST

ritteri
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by ritteri on May 26, 11 9:31 AM
Hello. This is my first post. I just wanted to say to those who are concerned about the theme in this game. I live in Oklahoma. We had a tornado come through our front yard last year, taking part of our roof with it. The day before yesterday one was down the street, so I am intimately familiar with the beasts. However, you don't need to worry about the topic of this game. We live with tornadoes every year. That's why it's called tornado alley. You only hear about them when they are extra bad, but they are a common spring occurrence. They are just something we live with and, actually, we don't stress about them a whole lot. We have sirens and warning systems, some of the best weather scientists in the world, and great dedicated weathermen on tv. It's always sad when you see tragedy strike others, and I appreciate your concern. But don't deprive yourself of a good game. I'm planning on buying it myself.

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by njmathews on May 26, 11 9:46 AM
If you are a Nancy Drew fan, just buy it! Interesting puzzles and some fun/addicting arcade playI actually booted up today with the intention of playing Trail of the Twister - specifically for the therapeutic need, after waiting to hear from family who were at risk, yesterday. Fortunately all is well. And thanks for your reassurance, ritteri.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on May 26, 11 11:07 AM
You can demo the game on the developers site. I tried it a while ago and disliked it because I couldn't get pass the mini car game. I have several ND games I could not complete because there were some scenes I could not win (catching sheep in one, dancing in another) so no more ND for me. I wish they had a skip option.

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on May 26, 11 11:25 AM
ritteri wrote:Hello. This is my first post. I just wanted to say to those who are concerned about the theme in this game. I live in Oklahoma. We had a tornado come through our front yard last year, taking part of our roof with it. The day before yesterday one was down the street, so I am intimately familiar with the beasts. However, you don't need to worry about the topic of this game. We live with tornadoes every year. That's why it's called tornado alley. You only hear about them when they are extra bad, but they are a common spring occurrence. They are just something we live with and, actually, we don't stress about them a whole lot. We have sirens and warning systems, some of the best weather scientists in the world, and great dedicated weathermen on tv. It's always sad when you see tragedy strike others, and I appreciate your concern. But don't deprive yourself of a good game. I'm planning on buying it myself.

Really liked that you took the time to write this...personally I appreciated your candor
Bravo

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 26, 11 1:00 PM
I thought I might like this game as I've read a lot of positive reviews about the Nancy Drew games but this one has neither a trial nor a skip option for the mini games. Games without those are a no buy for me. Developers, are you listening?

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on May 26, 11 1:33 PM
I agree -- would love to trial another Nancy Drew adventure (I tried one a while back and enjoyed it) through Big Fish. Is there a technical reason that we can't trial a large file game? I am hesitant to trial games on other websites. My computer always has issues....

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 26, 11 1:48 PM
i've played this one through a few times and while it isn't my favorite of the ND games, it is still a great game...

there are all sorts of educational tidbits thrown in with the humor, intrigue, and actual work that you have to accomplish in this game...

there really isn't anything in this game that can't be accomplished, so don't worry about not having a "skip" button to finish puzzles or not being able to figure out 'what's next?' for nancy... and when you're told to go to bed, just remember that the day doesn't end until you want it to, so... if there's one more thing you want to do, one more place you want to visit, one more person you want to talk to... do it!

and don't be afraid of stepping on toes... remember, it's what nancy does being a meddling kid and all that... there are definitely some juicy tidbits for you to pick up in this one... it seems just about everybody has a secret that they aren't sharing... also, as with all the ND games, i recommend keeping a notebook or scratch paper nearby - these games are just too full of info to remember it all in my book!

happy storm chasing

[Post New]by Spoodlehead on May 26, 11 1:49 PM
I love most of the ND games but I have to agree about the lack of a skip button. I play on a laptop without an actual mouse and I can't manuever the cursor quickly enough on some of the mini-games.

[Post New]by Pinkcritter on May 26, 11 2:15 PM
I, too, used to love playing the Nancy Drew games. I have left a couple of these games "unfinished" (especially the later ones) because of the arcade type mini games. The reason I loved ND games to begin with was because they were a real adventure game where I had to think, search for clues and figure it all out! If I had wanted to play so many mini games I would have purchased arcade games!!! I am NOT coordinated or fast enough to master some of the mini games - VERY fustrating indeed! Tis a crying shame as I do (did) love the ND games and WAS buying them up as soon as they came out - not so anymore!

Hi, I am not a newbie to BF games - been a member and playing for a few years now! Before BFG I played numerous adventure games, my very first being "Myst" (oops I think my actual first game was "Full Throttle" - lots of action but DOable action!)

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on May 26, 11 2:45 PM
ritteri wrote:Hello. This is my first post. I just wanted to say to those who are concerned about the theme in this game. I live in Oklahoma. We had a tornado come through our front yard last year, taking part of our roof with it. The day before yesterday one was down the street, so I am intimately familiar with the beasts. However, you don't need to worry about the topic of this game. We live with tornadoes every year. That's why it's called tornado alley. You only hear about them when they are extra bad, but they are a common spring occurrence. They are just something we live with and, actually, we don't stress about them a whole lot. We have sirens and warning systems, some of the best weather scientists in the world, and great dedicated weathermen on tv. It's always sad when you see tragedy strike others, and I appreciate your concern. But don't deprive yourself of a good game. I'm planning on buying it myself.

Welcome, ritteri, and thank you for the wonderful post.

chadilia
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by chadilia on May 26, 11 5:46 PM
Many of these Nancy Drew games are very well made with great stories, but I will be twice as likely to buy if the developers let us SKIP through the long dialogue! (Line by line, I mean, so you don't have to hear it all spoken out loud.) It would also be nice to be able to skip some of the really long minigames. Gotta love the high quality of these games in general, though.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on May 26, 11 6:01 PM
skr041300 wrote:Is there a technical reason that we can't trial a large file game?

I was told by a BigFish employee that it is because of the expense of bandwidth.

Go to: