pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by pgillenw on May 31, 11 12:36 PM
I am having problems getting in to the game. So far I am impressed with the production development. Yet I am both bored and fascinated. Can these two emotions co-exist?
The game is a detective "who dun-nit". As the gamer immersed in the intrigue you must investigate and bring evidence together in order to eventually solve a murder.

The movie like presentation, while impressive, results in a slow moving experience. Take away the movie frills and this game would surely fall flat as a Hidden Object game.

As with all games presented as HOG's reviews swing widely. What is ones pleasure may not be another's.

This game I will play over a lengthy period due to my interest wanning rather quickly.

I suspect that HOG's of the future may move in this direction. Let's pray that creative production teams will learn how they may be presented to the gamer in such a way to excite and entertain us.

MCF: 13th Skull dabbled somewhat in this media but thankfully they maintained a true HOG experience making the game one of the best I have played.

Re:Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by lilgirl73 on Jun 8, 11 9:00 AM
This is a horrible game. No matter what i do i can't get the pda to work, so i can't even go up the ladder in the 1st scene. It's also pretty ridiculous that there's no walk thru & you have to pay for the strategy guide separately. I've never purchased a game from BF before that i hated, so this is a first for me. No wonder why they had no trial....no one would buy it if they tried it first.

kimusan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kimusan on Jun 8, 11 4:34 PM
Actually, there is a walkthrough on gameboomers.com---however I just deleted the game because the PDA thing is annoying to keep using-I found a spoiler so that I could at least see how the game ended-luckily I only bought this game on bigfishgames.com and not earlier when it first came out at the ridiculous price of 29.95---as it is, 6.99 here was too much for such an awful game

kimusan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kimusan on Jun 8, 11 4:38 PM
oh-I forgot to add-the game slowed down in parts that made it difficult to have him maneuver around-also, he could only speed up sometimes and the conversation lagged to the point of boredom---I have seen way better 'point-n'-click' type games but this wasn't one of them-hopefully the producers will put out something better in the future

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Nov 6, 11 10:20 PM
I wanted to love this game because Syberia I and II are among my all-time favorite games...but this was cumbersome to maneuver through, repetitive...it drove me crazy that the characters' mouths didn't move when they spoke...it's clunky, it's dull...there are much better adventure games out there for those who are fans of that sub-genre (as I am)....The characters were not very interesting, the dialogue could have used a shot of adrenalin....I played it all the way through, but honestly, even the music and the scenery didn't hold up to my expectations for a game with Benoit Sokal's name on it. Even a much older game like Agatha Christie's 'And then there were none' is way more enjoyable.

Regretfully,

The Houdini Cats....

kelexia
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by kelexia on Jan 11, 12 12:09 AM
I loved this game! The story was great! I had no problems with the game at all,everything ran on my vista without a hitch.There is alot of running back and forth,but the scenery was fun and the sound effects were good.Each to his own of course,but this is an adventure game not a hog and thank God for that because i am tired of them! If you enjoy a good whodunit this is the game for you.

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Branes on Mar 11, 12 10:36 AM
Being a big fan of Sokal, I was hoping this game would be in the same class as the Syberia series. Unfortunately, it falls somewhat short. The story is good and the plot twist at the end was ok, but some of the logic was faulty. I don't want to give away any secrets but a vital piece of evidence, a fingerprint, shows up where it wouldn't logically have shown up, making identification of the murderer much too easy.
I can say this much...fingerprints weren't on the murder weapon, so why should they show up on something else the murderer used? That is inconsistent.
And the game is plagued by a common problem with these kind of games...the constant backtracking to different areas. Some games use quick move systems to remove some of the tedium, but that hasn't been the case with any of Sokal's games and I think it detracts from the enjoyment somewhat.
As usual the graphics are beautifully drawn and the characters are interesting, if not a little stereotypical. Some of the voice acting left a little to be desired, particularly Martin and Marco. Also, the game had you repeating questions with a suspect even though no new information was forthcoming.
However, as a whodunit, it was pretty good. I liked the mandate system which organized the evidence into a complete picture.
Although not the best adventure game I've ever played, it was a pretty good one and in most areas, a very good detective story.

One thing however does present a logic problem. And that is assigning blame for the second victim's death to the main killer. There is absolutely no physical evidence to support it besides conjecture.

Go to: