Raboo
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

***SPOILER*** Question about the story conclusion

[Post New]by Raboo on May 31, 11 8:08 PM
I'm confused about the relationship between Nellie and Totenkraft at the end of the game. I got the impression that Nellie is telling her granddaughter a story and then Totenkraft turns out the lights. Does this mean that he is married to Nellie and that this is their granddaughter together? If so, why did he suddenly turn into a good guy when in the past three games he was your typical "I will destroy you so that I can rule the world" kind of bad guy? Maybe it is because you can't rule the world if it has already been destroyed by an asteroid.

I am replaying the game. In the very beginning I think that the Narrator is Totenkraft. He says something along the lines of needing Nellie's knowledge so that he can ascend the throne of something or other. So another interpretation is that he somehow brainwashed Nellie (as Tom suspects at one point) and tricked her into being his "queen" so that they can rule the world together. But then what does it mean when he turns out the lights with such a young looking hand? It feels ominous.

Honestly, I have never fully understood Totenkraft's role. I realize that most casual game plots suffer from flimsy character development because the characters are only there to give us a reason to search for hidden objects. However, I really would appreciate some enlightenment about Totenkraft's endless desire to harness supernatural forces with the help of a hamster.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

Re:***SPOILER*** Question about the story conclusion

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Sep 2, 11 12:55 PM
Most games don't have much continuity between games, and this one is no exception. In Follow the Ghosts Tom says he has never seen a ghost before, Nellie's reply refers to the ghosts she encountered in Enchanted Canvases, but they both seem to have totally forgotten encountering their grandmother's ghost in Visions of Gold. So we may be trying to apply logic where there is none, but here's my impression.

Enchanted Canvases establishs that T has discovered the Philosopher's Stone and therefore is immortal, but is trapped somewhere. Several people/creatures also comment on how evil he is. In Follow the Ghost he is a great alchemist who does all sorts of evil stuff.

At the beginning of this one T escapes wherever he was trapped. His speech could be interpreted as about to conquer the world or just glad to be back in the world. Then it shows T reading (on March 12, 2012) about Nellie's discovery and deciding to travel back to the 30's to get her help. He also says something about "not to die with him" with no indication of who "him" is.

continued

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Sep 2, 11 1:03 PM
continued

It says the Holy Grail must be used by the "Chosen One." Who is the chosen one, Nellie or T?

T refers to wanting Nellie for his ascension. We assume Nellie was kidnapped, but she could have gone willingly. When she was in the medieval castle, she was blindfolded but not bound. Her body language did not indicate distress. At the end she obviously is at least dating T. I think the reference to her being brainwashed was just to show how Tom was misinterpreting the situation.

In the bonus gameplay, Tom and Nellie help T escape from wherever. Now that he is back in the world and dating Nellie, it is reasonable that the kid at the end is their granddaughter. Since he still has the exilir of immortality, his hand would still look young.

Maybe he was just cranky from being imprisoned? Maybe he has multiple personalities and Nellie brings out the good one? Maybe this is the twin brother of the evil T? Maybe we're trying to apply logic to an illogical plot?

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Sep 2, 11 1:13 PM
Other possibilities:

If the girl is Nellie granddaughter, could the hand turning out the lights be Nellie and T's son?

If he has an elixir of immortality, why didn't he give some to his darling wife Nellie?

Also, is it just me or does his position when he arrives in 2012 remind you of Terminator?

Go to: