bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The King of Fire

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jun 3, 11 12:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The King of Fire? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

cheffie45
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The King of Fire

[Post New]by cheffie45 on Jun 3, 11 12:28 AM
not really a Match 3 game

Dancing_Cat
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by Dancing_Cat on Jun 3, 11 1:09 AM
There are three kinds of puzzle in this game or at least up to the point I got to which wasn't very far. I'm fine with the memory game and the pipe game but will someone please explain to me how the binary game works because even after reading the tutorial I haven't the foggiest.I tried playing it and it seemed to be what the rules said it should be. It didn't let me move on so I must have done something wrong. I have no idea what.

It could be a great game but it needs someone to explain it

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 3, 11 1:10 AM
so totally NOT a match-3 game! i agree!

the game is a little clumsy... awkward to navigate and access the different things open to you... i was in the book learning what to do for one game and couldn't close the book without exiting the game... until i figured out that the stuff that looked like plain text were actually the options i had to play - ??? yes, very awkward, indeed...

in the first two map locations [which was about all i could stand] there were three games to be played... in one, it's a basic 'memory' challenge... you turn over stones to match them until they are all done... then there is the 'binary' mode - you have to place two different objects in a grid so that they conform to the set of rules laid down by the developer... then there's 'pathway' mode which has you building a path by rotating pieces until they all work together [mind you, with no start or end, just no loose ends ]...

the game play was tedious, the graphics weren't all that great, and the music was dying to be turned down... i think this one gives creedence to that old saying "a face only a mother could love" - i think the only way i would be interested in playing this is if i were the developer behind it... otherwise, i don't think you could pay me enough to sit through even a few more levels

hopefully, there is someone out there who will give it the love i'm sure someone thinks it deserves

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Jun 3, 11 1:15 AM
I beat the binary one (with a silver rating no less!) purely by accident!! What I did first was to make sure that there were no more than 2 of the same icon next to, above or below each other.

You're ALSO supposed to have the same number of similar icons (the leaf for instance) in each row. So I started counting and found that I had 4 in each row...except one near the bottom where I had 5...so I changed one of the leafs to a branch...and beat it!!

This is by NO stretch of ANYONE'S imagination a M3 game!!

It's a pure puzzle game with clunky controls (you can have music and sounds on or off), a weird way of starting the game and unimaginative graphics.

I was hoping for a GOOD M3...or even a good puzzle game but this one fell short on both counts!!

Edited on 06/03/2011 at 1:16:17 AM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 3, 11 1:20 AM
binary - how it works...

you have two items that can you can choose from, what i called "leaf" and "branch" just to distinguish them in my own mind...

in each row, in each column - you need four of each symbol and you can't have more than two in a row... ALSO the rows and columns can't repeat...

my strategy was this: find where there are two pieces already together, and place the odd one next to it - ie: if there's a leaf and a leaf, the next one is the branch...

next find where there are two like pieces that are only one space apart... since adding the same piece would make three in a row, the middle piece is the odd one out... ie: if you have leaf - space - leaf... the branch goes in the middle...

last, check for counts: how many of each kind are in the row/column? the numbers have to be equal so each row/column has to have four leaves and four branches...

what took me a minute to figure out is that you click on the same space again to change it... one click gives you the leaf, a second click gives you the branch, and a third click makes it empty again...

for some reason there are coins that pop up while you're working the puzzle... i clicked on them because i collect everything but i never quite figured out why they were there...

good luck

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 3, 11 2:07 AM
I agree, this isn`t a match 3 game, its an average puzzle game. I wouldn`t buy it, but if you like memory, pipe games etc, this could be your game.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jun 3, 11 2:28 AM
I started out with the pipe game. I'm usually not too bad with these type of games, but this one was just too complicated for me to get so that was the end of the demo for me. Definitely for serious puzzlers only.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jun 3, 11 3:07 AM
This is a match-2 game with connect the pipes and sequence puzzle. The tutorial explains how to play each game and what the purpose of the appearing coins and clocks.
The binary sequence puzzle was the most challenging of the the three puzzles. After solving each game, I was already bored with thirty minutes left on the clock. So I can't say what the boss confrontation slide-puzzle was like. The graphics were a bit dated and below average. I liked the music and found it appropriate for its setting. But this game should be in the "Puzzle" category.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 3, 11 3:58 AM
Dancing_Cat wrote:There are three kinds of puzzle in this game or at least up to the point I got to which wasn't very far. I'm fine with the memory game and the pipe game but will someone please explain to me how the binary game works because even after reading the tutorial I haven't the foggiest.I tried playing it and it seemed to be what the rules said it should be. It didn't let me move on so I must have done something wrong. I have no idea what.

It could be a great game but it needs someone to explain it

I hate memory games with the passionate heat of a thousand suns.

Okay, maybe not that much but it makes it a no-try for me. Those things drive me crazy.

Bumblefish
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Bumblefish on Jun 3, 11 5:49 AM
I tried to give the game a fair chance and played 4 locations. All were pretty much the same, but the pipe game seemed to be more difficult . the last had to be connected into 3 separate circuits ( or whatever they are called). However boardsize and gameplay remained the same. Boring!

Sarwyn
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Sarwyn on Jun 3, 11 6:21 AM
Bumblefish wrote:I tried to give the game a fair chance and played 4 locations.

Same here.

But I find the puzzles too easy! No challenge what so ever!
I did not enjoy the music, and I wish the game had more than 3 different puzzles.
Too boring for me, uninstalled.

catlynn54
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by catlynn54 on Jun 3, 11 6:21 AM
I enjoyed my play of this game. It was rather challenging and I got caught up in solving the puzzles!! But then that's the type of thing I like. I liked the music as well.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jun 3, 11 7:38 AM
As others have said this is in no way, shape, or form a match-3 game. It is a puzzle game. Thanks to Ember89's great explanation of how to do the binary puzzle in the thread of the same name-didn't see the explanation in this thread yet until just now, I was able to complete that puzzle. I didn't have any problems with the memory puzzle either. The path puzzle was the one that got to me. I can't figure that one out. It's a type of puzzle I tend to have more difficulty in completing sometimes more than others so that ended that. Or so I thought. While writing this, I went back to play for some reason, I forget why. I was able to move on by playing 2 of the 3 puzzles. I just don't know how that will affect the final outcome. I did end up using the full hour

Coins & light bulbs appeared in both the binary and path puzzles. I had played the memory first and that unlocked the hints as well as the coins. I'm making a guess, but as my character was not fully dressed when I picked it, the coins are for "purchasing" the remaining items of clothing, and/or power ups. When I used the hint on the path puzzle all it did was hi-lite a square, but did not give me any indication as to whether or not it was in the correct position.

In the end, though, this game is not for me. It does need to be re-branded as a puzzle game. I'm sure some will like it and be sure to give it a fair shot. Have fun, y'all.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 3, 11 8:33 AM
The category BF usually uses for a game like this is Brain Teaser, if I'm not mistaken. I played thru the demo. Every round is the same 3 things so far. borrrriiiiiinnnnggg.

The binary puzzle has a bit of a sudoku feel to it - play where you know what goes where, and go from there. I think I could like that game a bit if it had enough window dressing, which this doesn't. Same playing pieces and same gameboard grid, over and over and over.

Here's a tip for pipe games - start at the edges. No pipe opening can face outward.

Edited on 06/03/2011 at 8:35:51 AM PST

Meldandy
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Meldandy on Jun 3, 11 12:51 PM
Really didn't like it at all. I play games to relax but this felt more like an IQ test and I felt my irritation creeping up after 2 minutes of confusion with the binary game. Maybe if the game eased me into the modes with a tutorial game and didn't tick me off in the first 5 minutes of play, I would give it a bit more of my time.

BoaterSue
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by BoaterSue on Jun 3, 11 1:23 PM
I agree not a match 3 it was totally a puzzle game. Very disappointing had the wrong type of game. I do not like puzzle games - if you do this game is for you.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jun 3, 11 3:24 PM
I didn't see that it was labeled a Match 3 on the download page. Maybe they changed it after the reviews. It says something about puzzles now.

I love puzzles. I usually like the pipes and that was the best part of this game for me. I don't really like the other 2 and as others have already said that appears to be all of the variety it has.

I find that many times even if I enjoy a certain puzzle, that I don't usually want an entire game with only that in it. I feel it's important to switch it up as much as possible. This at least switched it up some, but not enough for me. The problem is that there is just too many of the ones that I don't like.

Also, considering my forum name, it is impossible for me not to wish they had chosen to use a different name rather than Vulcan for the name of the evil guy.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jun 3, 11 8:33 PM
AvgSpock wrote:I didn't see that it was labeled a Match 3 on the download page. Maybe they changed it after the reviews. It says something about puzzles now.

Nope, it's still labeled: "PC Downloads > Match 3 Games > The King of Fire" at the top of the page.
And even as a Puzzle Game it falls short. I enjoy a good puzzle, but this thing is tedious and boring.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jun 3, 11 8:42 PM
MarkAlan wrote:
Nope, it's still labeled: "PC Downloads > Match 3 Games > The King of Fire" at the top of the page.
And even as a Puzzle Game it falls short. I enjoy a good puzzle, but this thing is tedious and boring.

Ok, now I see what you are saying. Sorry, I was mistaken. I was only reading the game description. I have learned another new thing. Thank you

Go to: