CEs versues SEs

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

CEs versues SEs

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 4, 11 12:18 AM
I don't know where to post this, so, moderators, please feel free to move this comment if you think it belongs elsewhere. The last two weekends (and last weekend in the US was a holiday weekend) the games available for play had already been offered as CEs earlier. The last two nights have been the same. The result is that I have nothing to download and play, at least for an hour.

I do understand that BFG is limited by what is available, but can't you space out the CEs and the SEs? If you buy CEs (which frankly I don't intend to do anymore because of this problem), then you have nothing to download and play for two or three nights. At least people who wait for the SEs can demo the CE games and figure out if they want to purchase them!

This just seems like bad planning to me, as well as a disincentive to your customers to purchase CEs--which in any case are becoming shorter and shorter, so we don't have much incentive now to purchase them in any case.

I don't mean to rant, but I am disappointed. It's the end of the week, I don't have to get up early, but now have nothing to play.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:CEs versues SEs

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 4, 11 12:48 AM
Hi Lucy,
I answered this in the CC&Rants forum, but will repeat that I agree with you here.
I personally can't remember 2 CEs being released in a row (though there were 2 in a week recently), but here we have 2 SEs in a row.
Great for those waiting on these games, but not so for those of us who have already purchased them.
Maybe there will be another soft release tomorrow of a game for us to play (like the Elizabeth Find MD game that was TNT along with Landgrabbers.)
Cheers.

Edited on 06/04/2011 at 12:58:29 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 4, 11 12:55 AM
Thanks, DragonLadyOz.

I even downloaded Landgrabbers last night, which I'm totally terrible at and finally deleted earlier today. Let's hope that BFG reads the forum...lol

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jun 4, 11 1:39 AM
I think this might be a case of "You can't please everyone."

I, too, buy most games as CEs, but there have been a lot of complaints from those who can't afford the CEs and must wait for the SEs that they don't come out soon enough after the CE is released. I think we might be seeing a lot more "double" weeks in the next month or so, while BGF catches up in the releases.

I think they are trying to get back to releasing the SE versions 2-3 weeks after the CE version comes out. For a while we had complaints that there were two or three CEs released before the next SE version was released, and it started to take an average of 6 weeks between CE and SE versions, so this looks like a correction of the problem - once we get a few weeks of releasing 2 SE versions right after the weekly CE, we should get an average of one CE and one SE per week, hopefully with a 2-3 week spacing between the versions.

Eventually, I hope we can see real predictability for when games will release - at least with the CE/SE versions. THAT should please everyone, because if you can't afford the CEs or just prefer not to buy them, it would really help to know that you can expect the SE version within just a few weeks, rather than guessing - will it be this month? Next month? Do I save my credit or will it expire before the game I'm waiting for comes out?

So I've also had very few new games to purchase the last few weeks, but I know a lot of fishies have been very happy to get their high-quality games in SE version faster than we have been lately.

Edited on 06/04/2011 at 1:39:57 AM PST

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Jun 4, 11 1:59 AM
I am really on the fence with this one. The developers who spend a multitude of time putting out true quality games need to be rewarded for their time and effort. I have purchased every one of the CE games because they are really beautiful and you can see the effort the developers have put into their creation. Usually the bonus game play is also an extra prize for me. However, I do not use the screen savers and all the other extras that come with a CE. I have been wrestling with the thought of just waiting until the SE version becomes available.

The major problem that I have besides the extras that I do not use, is the issue that I get 3 points toward a bonus game and have no where to use these points. What good is it to have 11 extra points toward an SE, when a small percentage of them are really quality games. Then I struggle with the thought that if I wait for the SE, will the ending be less satisfying because I did not purchase the longer version.

So here I am with the dilemma. I am thinking that common sense dictates that if I have the patience and wait for an SE version, I will be much better off in the long run. Also, I have noticed that the better quality games are being offered as a CE first.

My suggestion would be to offer what would be a CE game at 10.99, and not include all the extras that people do not use or care about. I know that we can all tell the difference between a thrown together bad game and a truly great game. And again I will say what is the use of earning extra points when you can not use those for purchasing CE games. You can only use club game points. I guess the bottom line is that I will have to be very patient and wait for the SE version of a CE game.

Just as an afterthought, I just finished The Fool and really think this should have been offered as a CE, if that means quality graphics, great story line and even humor thrown in........

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Jun 4, 11 2:31 AM
The only difference between a CE and the SE is extra content and sometimes that extra content just isn't worth the extra price. Making computer games is actually a very lucrative business as there is very little overhead and some developers throw in a short 'bonus' chapter and some screen savers or artwork and call it a CE just so they can offer a game for more money.

I actually don't purchase a CE until I read the reviews and find out what the bonus content is and if I feel it's worth the extra cost. I have to say that most of the time the bonus is not worth it and I wait for the SE. I am happy to see a few SE's coming out, as another poster put it, there has been quite a lag between the CE version and the SE, though I understand that those of you who have purchased these as CE's are frustrated.

Anywho, that's my toss. I'm off to try this lovely game!

Ta!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 4, 11 2:32 AM
Hi there,
On behalf of those of us who tend to puchase CEs, I will be presumptuous to say that "we" also wish the release of the SE version was more timely - even at the same time as a TNR (probably never going to happen though ) - or at least back to the 2-3 weeks after the CE version.
Cheers

Edited on 06/04/2011 at 2:33:09 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 4, 11 2:41 AM
LOL, I support Lucy, AND LadyDragon!!!

Which makes me think, that I have to choose between CEs and SEs - one of them is enough! Can't eat all the cake and leave it untouched...

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 4, 11 4:12 AM
i used to be the biggest ce supporter out there, up till a few months ago i had bought nearly everyone released, but they are getting shorter and shorter, the bonus,s just tossed together, and more and more just not worth it, to me a ce should be at least 5 or 6 hours long total, a 2 to 4 hour game as a ce is just not worth it anymore, also a huge rant with me..if you want me to buy a ce..then let me demo a ce...anything unlocked at purchase, should be unlocked at demo...i am mainly talking about the guide, i use these to gauge length....and i have been noticing when the guide is locked in the demo..its usually a short ce, and before anyone says how much work goes into a ce, why is it that a certain dev can release such a high quality, long game complete with morphing objects (treasure of mystery island, ghost ship) as a ce, but ce devs cant even bother to make a game longer then 3 or 4 hours,

yve501
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by yve501 on Jun 4, 11 4:30 AM
Hi meanbusiness

I agreed with most of your post, but while I loved The Fool I am surprised no one commented on how short it is. Def. not CE material.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 4, 11 5:05 AM
I didn't think The Fool was short. It took me over 5 hours playing in advanced mode using no hints and no skips. That's longer than most CE's take.

bamlink
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by bamlink on Jun 4, 11 5:19 AM
LOL, used to be that the SE buyers complained about the proliferation of double-priced CE's and their having to wait 4-6 weeks for a decent game. Then they gave up or went elsewhere. Now the CE buyers are complaining that there are too many regular priced SE's and since they already over-paid for the game, they have nothing new to play. Maybe they should start a thread asking BFG to raise the price of all games to $13.99? This would finish off all the remaining SE customers and the games would not have to be offered twice, once at double the going rate, and once at the standard price. BFG could then cater exclusively to their preferred clientele.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 4, 11 5:26 AM
I really can't believe that people complain when SEs come out, that they have "nothing to play today". Every time I hear this it boggles my mind, really. What about replaying games you already own?? Most are just as enjoyable the second time around (and even subsequent times around), especially if you haven't played them in a long time. To me, this complaint is like little kids who want every new toy that's advertised, play w/ it once, then toss it aside and have a tantrum for the next new toy. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone I'm just saying. No new game? Go play one of your old gems--I'm sure you have tons of them (I know I do).

I only very rarely buy CEs (not usually worth the extra money imo), so I love seeing SEs come out and I'm glad when they come out sooner rather than later.

Ironically I just (2 days ago) bought the CE of this game after much deliberation. Haven't played it yet and am wondering if it will be worth it.........

[Post New]by GeckoFriend on Jun 4, 11 5:47 AM
krissywillow wrote:I.........Ironically I just (2 days ago) bought the CE of this game after much deliberation. Haven't played it yet and am wondering if it will be worth it.........

I also bought the CE two days ago. I waited four weeks for all the technical issues to be resolved before I bought it but alas that didn't happen.

The keypad puzzle in the bank vault has an inaccurate solution in the strategy guide.

In the bonus game - have you ever trapped an invisible mouse? Good luck!

I requested a refund yesterday morning.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jun 4, 11 7:17 AM
meanbusiness wrote:.......My suggestion would be to offer what would be a CE game at 10.99, and not include all the extras that people do not use or care about. I know that we can all tell the difference between a thrown together bad game and a truly great game. And again I will say what is the use of earning extra points when you can not use those for purchasing CE games. You can only use club game points. I guess the bottom line is that I will have to be very patient and wait for the SE version of a CE game.

Just as an afterthought, I just finished The Fool and really think this should have been offered as a CE, if that means quality graphics, great story line and even humor thrown in........

It wasn't that long ago that we were paying $19.99 for CE games, and MOST sites, including the developer's, still have them at that price. I think it is VERY reasonable for BFG to give them to members at $13.99. Of course, we won't all be happy until they give them away for free.

TinkerOne
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by TinkerOne on Jun 4, 11 8:58 AM
Hi Lucy1997.....I don't really have a solution for the lack of anyting to play, but it made me realize that I never, or seldom have this problem and I guess it is because I usually download anything of interest. Therefore, I sometimes even have to delete in favor of more interesting games, but I usually have several 60 min trial games to check out. Happy Gaming
Tink

TinkerOne
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by TinkerOne on Jun 4, 11 9:01 AM
EXCELLENT POINT ON PRICES SINSHACK!

Solgud
Herring
Herring
311 Posts

[Post New]by Solgud on Jun 4, 11 9:38 AM
Wow I´m with Tinker! I download everything that I find interesting so I have dozens of demo´s waiting for a slow day. I sometimes wish Big Fish would skip the new games for a few days so I can catch up!

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Jun 4, 11 10:03 AM
Decided to sneak in from Stevies Slot to have my say lol
Personally I dont think there should be ANY CE games make them all SE versions and then let there be a strategy guide for the game for the same price as the game so that way its up to the individual whether they want to pay to be shown how to play the game...We dont want music,we dont want wallpapers and the "bonus" level is usually what should have been part of the game already or just to tease you to buy the next of their game,if you want a walkthrough you can go on Google and get one for free usually before the official strategy guide comes out
Of course if there were no CE GAMES how would we know it was Thursday lol

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 4, 11 12:25 PM
I was just thinking, "Wow, I know that I've been here a while now" when I realized that I already own today's Daily Deal, already own the CE version of Tomorrow's Game Today, own the CE version of Today's New Release, and already own the Catch of the Week - LOL!

Just some thoughts on the issues raised so far in this thread
:

I happen to be one of those people who does not replay my adventure iHOGs. I don't see the point in doing so since the novelty of the game is gone. I mainly know what I have to do and where to find things, and since I have no interest in beating any previous completion time I might have had or earn medals/achievements that I didn't earn the first time around, there's nothing pulling me to play the game again. Perhaps I might feel differently in about five years, when the gameplay has faded from my mind, but not right now. So I completely understand that POV.

I also now have a bunch of demo versions on my Game Manager, but I only started downloading demos in the past couple of months. Before that I just bought the game based upon its description and what the forum comments were about it. I've really come to appreciate the ability to demo the games, so I would suggest to everyone to give that a try. BF has so many games available that even if today's game offerings aren't interesting (or you already own them) there's still plenty of games to play. There are also a number of threads in the Chit-Chat forum that deal with games and list game recommendations.

I, too, am a little ticked that we've got two SE versions of CE games in a row, but if it is BF's way of speeding up the release dates and shortening the time between CE and SE releases, then I've got no problem with it. There are always going to be people who will buy the CE version, for whatever reason, and who will continue to do so even if the CE and SE were released at the same time. Those of us who weigh all the factors before making a CE purchase are still going to do so and still will be making some CE purchases and some SE purchases. Releasing the SE closer to CE release date makes sense because the word-of-mouth about the game is still in play, and the SE version sales can benefit from that. As was mentioned earlier, with the long delays between CE and SE releases, by the time the SE is released its forum is almost moribund because everyone who wanted to talk about the game or find out info about it has already posted in the CE forum.

Go to: