cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 4 June 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Jun 4, 11 2:27 AM
Any comments fishes? A quick look at other comments it seems this one is a or it game.

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Todays DD 4 June 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jun 4, 11 3:50 AM
Just a warning since it probably will not happen to everyone...
I bought this when it first was released. Quite a while into the game, the game froze and I could not continue. I started over and the game froze in the same place. Never tried it again.

Edited on 06/04/2011 at 3:52:35 AM PST

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Jun 4, 11 4:00 AM
I bought this the first time round. I had no problems with it at all, it installed, played and I completed it some time ago.

I really enjoyed the game and there were two different endings so haveing played one I went back and played again to see the alternative. No problems either time.

I know this doesn't help you to resolve your problems but just wanted to say it is a good game, perhaps you should try CS.

Sorry I can't help more
BellaD

ETA - I can't be sure but I do have a feeling that there was an update on this game - I tend not to play them straight after I buy them so it may be any original problems have been fixed.

Edited on 06/04/2011 at 4:01:47 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 4, 11 5:01 AM
I just finished the demo and have purchased the game. I was very surprised with everything about it. It hooked me right from the introduction. Has great voice overs and the graphics are nice. Some of the mini games I found a bit difficult but you don't have to wait on the skip button The hints also refill very fast. The story is an old one but very interesting.
The only problem I had was that the voice would skip from time to time but not enough to bother really.
I don't know why I never even tried this before but am happy to get it today. Definitely more than your moneys worth at DD prices.

Thanks Big Fish

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Jun 4, 11 9:56 AM
This is not your usual linear game of being led from one task to another in a fashion that makes any sense. There is a lot of guesswork involved and initially it was trying to guess just what in heck the developers were thinking! None-the-less I was determined to see the demo through because I honestly could not fathom the reasoning behind what you had to do or use to accomplish the tasks, as most of it made absolutely no sense. And some of the conversations certainly raise eyebrows - (as example, at one point our heroine threatens a little boy). You have the story of a woman who has managed to marry well above her station, yet her voice is very cultured unlike that of a fellow passenger, Odette, who presumingly was born into higher class but speaks like its present day. There is certainly a contradiction in social status - she is not allowed on the lower decks yet a child who is clearly "steerage" can apparently run around in first class. The plot is like an poorly scripted movie that's so bad, its hilariously good and eventually got me hooked. This woman is not above snooping, stealing, eavesdropping and vandalism (oh yes, and taking food off someone else's plate). I can't wait to see where the story is going to take me next! If you are a stickler for games to be straight forward and practical you probably won't find this appealing, but I find it too unique, intriguing (like "McGiver" I wonder just how I'm supposed to utilized the library card) and fun to pass up.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jun 4, 11 11:36 AM
I really enjoyed this game... good mix of hidden objects, tools and puzzles. took me a few hours to complete. worth the $2.99.

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Jun 4, 11 12:41 PM
Right from the start I thought I would like it. Lovely voice-overs, nice graphics and an interesting story, or what could have been. But instead of getting on with the historic voyage, we have this chick breaking into a crate, roaming the ship through mazes and trying to put together pipelines. Oh yeah, mustn't forget giving her lipstick to an eagle. Was there a point to that? I spent way too much time going between the available locations and taking hints, only to be told that there was nothing more to do there. Let's just say when I have to check the walkthrough during the trial just to find out what illogical thing I need to do next, the game is not for me! Very disappointed.

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Jun 4, 11 1:57 PM
This game is somewhere between point and click adventure and an IH0G. After reading the reviews, I thought I wouldn't like it (lack of logic really bothers me), but there was some slight chance that I could enjoy it, so I gave it a try and I'm glad I did. 10 minutes of the demo left and I've just bought it. Judging by the walkthrough, I'm in 25%. Not that bad for a casual game.

Inventory-based puzzles sometimes suffer from classic "click everything on everything". I had only a vague idea what the card puzzle was about and I still don't know how I solved it. However, most of the time it's pretty easy to figure out what to do even if I don't really get why the heroine would do it - I'm referring specifically to bookcase puzzle and looking for boy's book. Why would she care?
It didn't really bother me though - at least actual using item on scene was making sense, unlike in some large file games. Some characters I really dislike, but the game itself looks interesting and fun enough.

+ nice voiceovers - the heroine is annoying, but the voices aren't cringeworthy
+ graphically looks like adventure game - must be 3D
+ easy and quite scarce hidden object scenes
+ more interaction with characters than usual

- lack of logic
- pixelated, especially in cutscenes
- using map to move between locations is weird, but I got used to it after a while

Good enough for 2.99 imo. I wouldn't buy for full price or even 4.99, but 2.99 is fine.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jun 4, 11 2:12 PM
Is this the best ihog/adventure I have ever played--no. Is it the worst--no. Is it worth $2.99--definitely yes. Most of the scenes are lovely. There are a lot of voice overs. Hints refill quickly. There is enough to keep my interest even if I don't understand the logic of how some inventory items are used. I think it's worth a try and a buy.

scarletgunn
Herring
Herring
390 Posts

[Post New]by scarletgunn on Jun 4, 11 4:41 PM
i started to demo this to possibly buy as a Daily Deal but it was really jittery and flashy. I've had this issue with older games- Samantha Swift for one.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jun 4, 11 4:50 PM
Sigh. I've rejected this game before, but as a DD I thought I'd give it another go. Hint: I still had 15 minutes left on my demo after its original presentation. Hmmm.

Very irritating game. The heroine gets on my nerves, sounds all snotty, and all the "sigh....that's not ..." (whatever she says to tell you you're wrong.) The husband--don't even start me.

It's not always easy to manipulate things. Getting the lipstick into the eagles' claw was torture. This game often requires you to be a sniper.

It's most illogical. Wandering around picking up random bits of pipe for whatever reason....maddening.

It's just not a good game. I'm engrossed with Titanic, but I can *not* make myself buy this game, not even for $2.99. It irritated me every time I tried the demo.

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Jun 4, 11 5:17 PM
I had a great time playing this game. It is only the second one I have finished in one day. The illogical tasks & irrevelant puzzles did not annoy me at all. Kinda reminded me of my working days!

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jun 4, 11 8:37 PM
Played the demo for 30 minutes and bought it. It took me a bit to figure out what in the world I was doing, but intriqued me enough so that I bought the game to continue the story. Different type of game, not in the same league as Mystery Trackers, but an interesting game at the DD price.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Jun 4, 11 10:00 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It seemed more of an adventure game. Those always leave me completely lost, but I managed through this one. There are very little HOg scenes, and I agree that the logic of the game, at times, just completely escapes me. However, it was very manageable, and the hints refill quickly. I played this game around Christmas time, so I am searching through the cobwebs in my memory :-) I recall having to check the walkthrough a few times, but not so much to be a bother to me.
The graphics were very enjoyable, and I always enjoy voiceovers - even with the ridiculous sighing of the main character, the chauvinistic husband and bratty young lad I enjoyed the story line, and if I recall correctly, there is an option for a different ending, based on the choices that you make.
Overall, I think it's well worth the $2.99. When I purchased, I believed that I would be taking a risk in buying, but I am very glad that I did. It was something a little different from my usual favourites like MCF series, Elixir of Immortality, Phantasmat etc. For those who don't like sparkles, I don't recall any. Try it out. Maybe you'll like it?

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Jun 15, 11 6:36 PM
I really enjoyed this game ,! I liked the history of it ,and at the end the bonus with the explanation.........

Go to: