bfgFlounder
9,582 Posts

Vampire Mansion: A Linda Hyde Adventure

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 5, 11 12:05 AM
When reporter Linda Hyde sets out to cover a rare book exhibition at the museum, she gets an offer she can't refuse. The job is to recover 5 lost manuscripts for a mysterious collector. As Linda, you will find that you are not the only one looking for these elusive books. A secret world of vampires slowly reveals itself as Linda's search for the books intensifies and she discovers that she has taken on much more than she bargained for in Vampire Mansion: A Linda Hyde Mystery.

Edited on 06/05/2011 at 3:49:59 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,093 Posts

Re:Vampire Mansion: A Linda Hyde Adventure

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 5, 11 12:11 AM
well, from the screen shots, i'd say this one isn't widescreen - so i'll probably be looking at hose lovely bars so disappointing really...

i guess we'll see in a few minutes, though, if i'm right

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
921 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Jun 5, 11 12:16 AM
Tell me what you think! Soon. This is the first "new" one in a while it seems.

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Jun 5, 11 12:20 AM
Nine minutes...all I could give this lemon.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 5, 11 12:23 AM
Ooooh... that does not sound promising havasulady!! Can you tell us what you didn't like about it please??

geniegal
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by geniegal on Jun 5, 11 12:24 AM
I lasted 11 minutes - hoping it would get better. It didn't.

[Post New]by azz1111 on Jun 5, 11 12:26 AM
no thanks on this game. 5 min. is all I could take

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 5, 11 12:28 AM
So, what is bad about it?? Anyone care to elaborate??

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,154 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 5, 11 12:33 AM
Ok I'm done. Five minutes and I thought even that amount of time was being generous. Tons of instructions that for some irritating reason repeated in a pop up side bar thing every time you did something. But the final straw in this games coffin was the first mini-game (if you can call it that!!!) which was one of those grab the pieces, rotate them and assemble the item. Ok I suppose you could call this a spoiler so fair warning... but... considering I only lasted 5 minutes it's not much of one.

You start by finding camera parts (all four of them) then the "mini-game" (their words certainly not mine!) is to assemble the camera... click on the pieces and rotate them but is putting a camera on a tripod and then adding the lens and flash REALLY enough of a puzzle to be called a mini-game??? REALLY???? So dumb. Then to top it off you click the piece to "stick" it to your curser and then click to rotate and click to drop it in place... first of all there is no "click" into place so I have no idea if I ever actually got it on the exact pixel the game wanted but worse was that you click to rotate AND click to drop and no matter which mouse button I clicked the game didn't seem to know whether to drop or rotate so it did them at random. SO STRANGE.

This did have a panoramic or fullscreen view... I played fullscreen and the game forced me to use the keyboard arrows to pan right, left, up and down... all in one room just to find four camera parts. Maybe it is used to better effect later in the game but I couldn't take it anymore.

The graphics are ok and the main character, a girl, is unique so that was a big plus and I really wanted to like this game based on her alone. But the rest of the graphics were just ok. So add that in with the panning and the huge black boxes with instructions or your item list covering parts of the screen and the effect was just clunky and not fun.

As I said I could only give this 5 minutes... if braver souls are able to stick it out and post that it suddenly morphs into a wonderous thing later I'll try again otherwise this will stay in the round file... aka: delete.

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
921 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Jun 5, 11 12:36 AM
It's a stinker. It doesn't work, for one thing. You supposedly have a large area, with arrows on the edge to scan further into the room, right? The arrows don't work. At least I couldn't get them to work. The only way to get to these areas was to use a hint.

The first game was, put the camera together. That didn't work either. maybe it's my PC, but this is a "no way" for me.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 5, 11 12:36 AM
It sounds quite bleak. Thank you gamergirl!!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,154 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 5, 11 12:38 AM
Tam5115 wrote:It's a stinker. It doesn't work, for one thing. You supposedly have a large area, with arrows on the edge to scan further into the room, right? The arrows don't work. At least I couldn't get them to work. The only way to get to these areas was to use a hint.

The first game was, put the camera together. That didn't work either. maybe it's my PC, but this is a "no way" for me.

You don't actually click the arrows on the screen... you use the arrow keys on your keyboard. HTH.

But yeah had the same problem with the camera mini-game... this game is in dire need of some beta testing for issues before release. Oops! Too late.

cedo
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by cedo on Jun 5, 11 12:39 AM
i would have to agree...i lasted 10 minutes, and bailed

i, personally, do not care for this type of graphics, but i could overlook that if the game play was decent...i am afraid in this game it is not, it is clunky and not intuitive, in the least...the characters are not engaging, and what little story i stayed around for was not that interesting, at least, not so far...the UI is cumbersome and takes up too much room....there is no choice of tutorial, but ..perhaps...that is a good thing, as one might not be able to figure out what to do without it....

the one puzzle i played was frustrating, and not because of difficulty, but because things did not 'place' where one would think they should have...

i just found it boring and less-than-engaging

the music was 'ok', i guess

the game says it will only save at predetermined places...i, probably, will not even bother going back to check

i am sure some will find it tolerable, if not satisfying

if this is a new developer, i wish them much luck next time

i did manage to complete the camera 'mini-game'...as i said, they do 'snap' into place, just not where one might think they would....

also, i found that right-click rotated the pieces, and left-click dropped them

as for scrolling in a scene, if one holds down the mouse button and scrolls (the arrows are useless, as far as i could tell), the screen will scroll

sorry for the edit, just addressing some previous comments...with my take on the issues at hand

=) hope this helps

Edited on 06/05/2011 at 12:44:36 AM PST

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
505 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Jun 5, 11 12:39 AM
I agree with gamergirl675 and I'd like to add that this game was just too "busy" for me. I don't particularly like having to pan, but with this game it was just irritating. Don't remember if I've seen this developer before, but I'll be leery next time unless they really improve the graphics, and leave out "stomping" mice.
Happy Sunday all!

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
921 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Jun 5, 11 12:43 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:
Tam5115 wrote:It's a stinker. It doesn't work, for one thing. You supposedly have a large area, with arrows on the edge to scan further into the room, right? The arrows don't work. At least I couldn't get them to work. The only way to get to these areas was to use a hint.

You don't actually click the arrows on the screen... you use the arrow keys on your keyboard. HTH.

But yeah had the same problem with the camera mini-game... this game is in dire need of some beta testing for issues before release. Oops! Too late.

Yeah, okay. Still, that's stupid, IMO. I lasted all of 5 minutes in this game and truly hated it.

MarkAlan
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jun 5, 11 12:48 AM
There's no video posted on the game page? And I see two different titles. The icon has "Mystery" and the the other "Adventure". There's a foreign trailer on YouTube, that probably explains alot...

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Jun 5, 11 12:52 AM
Okay, I only made it through 3 minutes. Having to pan right and left is annoying enough, but also having to pan up and down is too much. I hope there are some better standard HOGs coming this month.

Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Jun 5, 11 12:53 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:Ok I'm done. Five minutes and I thought even that amount of time was being generous. Tons of instructions that for some irritating reason repeated in a pop up side bar thing every time you did something. But the final straw in this games coffin was the first mini-game (if you can call it that!!!) which was one of those grab the pieces, rotate them and assemble the item. Ok I suppose you could call this a spoiler so fair warning... but... considering I only lasted 5 minutes it's not much of one.

You start by finding camera parts (all four of them) then the "mini-game" (their words certainly not mine!) is to assemble the camera... click on the pieces and rotate them but is putting a camera on a tripod and then adding the lens and flash REALLY enough of a puzzle to be called a mini-game??? REALLY???? So dumb. Then to top it off you click the piece to "stick" it to your curser and then click to rotate and click to drop it in place... first of all there is no "click" into place so I have no idea if I ever actually got it on the exact pixel the game wanted but worse was that you click to rotate AND click to drop and no matter which mouse button I clicked the game didn't seem to know whether to drop or rotate so it did them at random. SO STRANGE.

This did have a panoramic or fullscreen view... I played fullscreen and the game forced me to use the keyboard arrows to pan right, left, up and down... all in one room just to find four camera parts. Maybe it is used to better effect later in the game but I couldn't take it anymore.

The graphics are ok and the main character, a girl, is unique so that was a big plus and I really wanted to like this game based on her alone. But the rest of the graphics were just ok. So add that in with the panning and the huge black boxes with instructions or your item list covering parts of the screen and the effect was just clunky and not fun.

As I said I could only give this 5 minutes... if braver souls are able to stick it out and post that it suddenly morphs into a wonderous thing later I'll try again otherwise this will stay in the round file... aka: delete.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,154 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 5, 11 1:17 AM
MarkAlan wrote:There's no video posted on the game page? And I see two different titles. The icon has "Mystery" and the the other "Adventure". There's a foreign trailer on YouTube, that probably explains alot...

Maybe they were afraid if they posted a video then no one would even try it let alone buy it.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,093 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 5, 11 1:33 AM
havasulady wrote:Nine minutes...all I could give this lemon.

i made it twelve and said - that's it! what a joke?!

game is clumsy and graphics are poor and music is trite and i just don't like it more work than play

and never saw any vampires or any mansions

Go to: