snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Darkdisciple1313's spot

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 9, 11 11:04 AM
One thing I really appreciate about this story is the lack of "sexy". The vampire is terrifying (at least to the villagers so far) and he enjoys being a frightening monster. He's not a 'vegetarian' vampire, he can't daywalk, he's not pined over by the teenage girls in the village.

At this point in human civilization, there isn't much originality left. Fresh looks at old classics are always fun, though.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Jun 9, 11 11:20 AM
If you want a great vampire movie: 30 Days of Night.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Jun 9, 11 11:21 AM
No pretty boy vampires in that movie.

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Jun 9, 11 11:23 AM
I just love a game I can get me teeth into lol

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jun 9, 11 11:25 AM
stevieferr wrote:I just love a game I can get me teeth into lol

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 9, 11 11:26 AM
stevieferr wrote:I just love a game I can get me teeth into lol

Stevie - behave

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 9, 11 11:48 AM
DeadRiver wrote:If you want a great vampire movie: 30 Days of Night.

That was good! Kind of reminded me of the Kurt Russell version of "The Thing" since both movies had their victims trapped in a snowbound location without any way of escaping.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 9, 11 12:45 PM
Maybe I've got a hair up my but/t about this but I prefer to think of vampires more as seductive. They can be horrifying monsters that repulse normal humans but there's still some strange draw. "Sexy" implies something different to me.

If you've seen Nosteratu, I think you'll know what I mean. He's definitely NOT someone you'd want to be intimate with but he's still strangely seductive.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 9, 11 1:12 PM
snapnhiss wrote:Maybe I've got a hair up my but/t about this but I prefer to think of vampires more as seductive. They can be horrifying monsters that repulse normal humans but there's still some strange draw. "Sexy" implies something different to me.

If you've seen Nosteratu, I think you'll know what I mean. He's definitely NOT someone you'd want to be intimate with but he's still strangely seductive.

Ah...Nosteratu...an excellent old-time movie with a massive creep factor. Well done for those times indeed.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 9, 11 1:18 PM
Check out "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willem Defoe if you haven't seen it before. He's very good at being creepy in a "normal" part, he's amazing as Max Schreck.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 9, 11 5:49 PM
snapnhiss wrote:Check out "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willem Defoe if you haven't seen it before. He's very good at being creepy in a "normal" part, he's amazing as Max Schreck.

Will do. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm such a nerd, but I bought a collection of 50 of the oldest horror movies (cult classics) ever made. Some of them are sooooo bad they're good. Anyway, I enjoy those older horror movies. Anyway, Shadow of a Vampire might be somewhere in that collection depending on how old of a movie it is so I will check.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Darkdisciple1313's spot

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 9, 11 7:41 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I'll avoid the whole religious debate, since I find any arguments about religion to be as fruitful as trying to grow a cherry tree in the Sahara. Moving on...

I've stated elsewhere and often that I'm not a fan of vampire-themed games because they've been done to death. When I saw a seven-year-old girl wearing a Twilight T-shirt a few years back, that pretty much was the last nail in the coffin for me (pun intended). The genre has gotten beyond stale, even though I will give credit to the various writers who have at least tried to come up with a new spin on things. Other than that, though, there is about as much originality in vampire-based things these days as there is on most CBS shows.

As for the game, I give the creators kudos for sticking with the traditional motifs of the Dracula myth. Playing off Bram Stoker's original vision has also been done to death (or un-death, if you will), but at least the story has enough meat to it to allow for variations on the themes presented in the book of Dracula. For that reason, and only for that reason, I'll give the game a try. I doubt I'll waste money on a collector's edition, but I figure I can at least kick the tires a few times.

Ditto to the debate... beyond sick of the whole "evil game" stuff. Just don't play.

Now on to the REALLY important point... back off my Edward and Jacob!!! My daughter has a Twilight shirt but she's 11. And we'll be at opening day of the next movie.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 9, 11 9:46 PM
snapnhiss wrote:
DeadRiver wrote:If you want a great vampire movie: 30 Days of Night.

That was good! Kind of reminded me of the Kurt Russell version of "The Thing" since both movies had their victims trapped in a snowbound location without any way of escaping.

omg...that movies is a alltime fave of mine...seen it when it 1st camw out...(scared the heck outta me).still great by todays standrds

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by xssa on Jun 12, 11 4:32 PM
mycatluna wrote:
snapnhiss wrote:Maybe I've got a hair up my but/t about this but I prefer to think of vampires more as seductive. They can be horrifying monsters that repulse normal humans but there's still some strange draw. "Sexy" implies something different to me.

Ah...Nosteratu...an excellent old-time movie with a massive creep factor. Well done for those times indeed.

now i'm going to have to see the movie on netflix.

Go to: