bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Battle Slots

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jun 10, 11 12:15 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Battle Slots? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Battle Slots

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 10, 11 12:19 AM
RPG + Slots = SOLD!!!

So glad I noticed this soft release!!!!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jun 10, 11 12:46 AM
I'm with gamergirl675! This looks awesome! Something like a cross between Puzzle Quest and Slot Quest! I love RPGs and It's been a long time since there was something innovative around. Can't wait to try it! *soooo excited!*

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jun 10, 11 2:14 AM
Oh my gosh..... It IS very much like playing Puzzle Quest (a Match 3 game) with slots! I have bought it after a short demo. *happy fish!*

GRAPHICS: 4 out of 5. Stunning. Beautifully done. I'm not entirely crazy about the character style, but that is a very minor quibble. Excellent movement on the reels, crisp clear lettering in the written dialogue. Just a touch small on the Items, Abilities, and such which is not the best thing to have when you're in mid-battle and need to know what something does. In full screen mode, it's good enough to read. In Windowed, I couldn't make it out.

SOUND: 4.5 out of 5. Very good music, very fitting for the game. You can adjust the sound, both the effects and the background music. There are no voice-overs.

GAMEPLAY: 4.5 out of 5. Very easy to get right into, especially if you've played Puzzle Quest before. Otherwise, as long as you read through the instructions, it's fairly easy to pick up. Basically hit SPIN and go! The early stages act as a tutorial to get you started. The Main Menu is easy to find, so you can get to a help screen easily. You can also toggle between full screen and windowed, thought I personally think it looks best filling the screen.

FUN FACTOR: 4.5 out of 5. Slots and RPG mixed. What more can you ask for? There is strategy in picking your moves, but the slots are totally random, so you never know what will happen. You can upgrade your "reels" and effect the outcome of battles against your enemies by customizing things as you would prefer. Need more cash? Put the emphasis on gold. Want to be more magical than brute? Change it to reflect that. All the different things that you can do make this a great, fun game.

OVERALL: 17.5 out of 20. Highly recommended, especially for those who love the Puzzle Quest series.

Enjoy!!

Edited on 06/10/2011 at 2:14:57 AM PST

TroyeMB1
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by TroyeMB1 on Jun 10, 11 2:38 AM
It's funny that I should find this game right now --- I've just started replaying Puzzle Quest... (and hope to play Puzzle Quest 2 when I'm done...)

This game is so much like Puzzle Quest, but the slot machine angle adds so much fun! My husband might be missing me for a while as I work my way through both games... (oh well, guess it's a good thing I've gotten him addicted to Fairway Solitaire!)

I've only played half the demo time, but that was enough for me to decide to buy the game... After I've played more, I'll try to give a review --- don't feel I can do the game justice with as little as I've played so far...

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Jun 10, 11 5:28 AM
Time flew and my demo ended right as I was FINALLY about to win a hard battle...so off to buy, and highly recommended to Puzzle Quest fans. Was concerned the slots would be too random, but love the ability to configure the machine's odds of what types of payouts will come up and how often etc. Really fun!

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jun 10, 11 6:11 AM
Hello.

I am sorry. I hate to dislike a game, but need to add my bit.

I have tried it & given it a really good chance, but I just don't get it at all.

There is no skill involved, just pushing a button & depending on luck, you decide how to attack your opponent. Am I missing the point of this game or is there not one?

Having said that, I am so glad this game has had some great reviews before me. We don't all like the same genre's & this obviously appeals to some. Either way, love it or hate it, you can tell the devs put some time & thought into it & have hit gold with its fans.

Just because I didn't enjoy it, it does not make it a bad game. i think we should all expose ourselves to different genres from time to time just incase we miss a real gem along the way.

wunder
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by wunder on Jun 10, 11 6:42 AM
Well said, jojo! Although I really like this game (I'm an avid slots fan), I enjoy reading everyone else's comments, likes or dislikes. That's the only way to get to know other fishies in this huge pond!

The option to "change" your odds according to frequency or rarity is a nice change to just hitting the "play" key, and having different types of opponents makes you think about what you need to do to stay alive.

I recommend if you are a fan of RPG's and slots.

Happy gaming all!

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Jun 10, 11 7:00 AM
I agree with jojo the joy. very repetitive.........not a game 4 me.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Jun 10, 11 12:45 PM

I'm really impressed with the attention to detail in this game; especially the sound effects. I was fighting a barracuda, and every time he attacked me he'd make a splashing sound. I recognized that sound right away. It's definitely authentic. It's the same sound I make when I'm splashing around in the bathtub.

I wonder if the barracuda has his own personal tub? They didn't show it on screen, because that would be kinda personal, and I bet the barracuda would be rather embarassed if they were to show his tub to the general public (snicker). You know, being a barracuda and all, you sorta have to keep a toughguy image. I mean, what good is it being a barracuda if you can't scare the pants off people? I was scared, which is why I fled the battle. I did get a scratch on my cheek, but at least I came away with a couple of gold coins and a beer stein with a pewter lid. I'm giddy.

I agree with the others, though. If you like Puzzle Quest and/or slots, you'll probably like this game as well. The graphics look great, there's plenty of explanation on how to play it, There are quests to undertake, and different towns and venues to visit. The game has a lot of variety and the slot machine can be upgraded and customized to your liking with various runes and slot tokens, which will keep it interesting in the long run. I recommend this one. I like it.

Edited on 06/10/2011 at 6:21:05 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 10, 11 2:07 PM
I have also tried this game, but didn`t like it really. But I wish everyone "Happy gaming" with this game

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jun 10, 11 5:25 PM
Based on the positive reviews, I decided to try the demo. The graphics are superb.I was pleasantly surprised by the combination of RPG and slots and really enjoyed playing the game. I like Battle Slots better than Slingo Quest and will probably check out Puzzle Quest. I can see getting a lot of play out of this game, and plan on using a credit to buy it.

Ibid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Ibid on Jun 10, 11 8:34 PM
Wow, Phantom really outdid themselves with this slot game!

I was expecting the same ol', same ol' slot quest type game where I just mindlessly hold down the space bar to complete quests, not even paying attention to the reels, but this game really throws all that out the window.

I consider it more RPG than slot game. And Phantom really goes out of the box to provide a very unique RPG battle system/xp/upgrades to RPG's by using slot reels.

Some reels grant xp, others money, while others grant attack power for physical attacks, or mana for spell casting. And it throws in some nice strategy with allowing the players to use sliders to create unique battle strategies, such as using the sliders to generate more mana icons than attack icons, and visa versa, or increasing the odds of either money or xp per battle. Even deciding to either select whether to go for rarer combinations for powerful attack or common icons for more numerous winning combinations at less power.

Can either do the quests or go out hunting on your own to find different reel icons and special attacks.

Can't say enough about this game, and I just hope that it doesn't get too buried by being a soft release or in the Card and Board games section when it is as much an RPG adventure and a very solid one at that. It should have recieved top billing in my opinion. It's a very solid RPG with a very unique combat/xp/upgrade system that is very refreshing to see.

Definitely a solid choice for any RPG adventure fan. Don't let the slot machine aspect fool you. It's as solid an RPG as they come, both in gameplay and difficulty balance.

Tried it, loved it, bought it. Thanks BF for bringing it to us, but shame on you not giving it a top billing release.

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Jun 11, 11 11:16 AM
Been playing for hours and hours now. The early part where you learn the game is deceiving - this is not really a regular slot game, but an RPG with slot mechanism for battle. You gain many options of what to have on your battle slot machine, how to jigger the odds of what comes up, what type of scatter bonus help you get, who your companion will be. Quests, monsters, different personalities throughout the lands.

So RPGers, don't miss this one!

kna123
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by kna123 on Jun 11, 11 10:06 PM
I decided to put my 2 cents in on this game. I decided to demo the game based on the reviews. Normally I'm not too keen on slot games as I find them too mindless. This game happened to catch my interest. The battles: I enjoyed the luck aspect of the slots to determine what powers/skills I would gather during battle. Then, it was up to me to determine how to use those points against my opponent. I also enjoyed picking and choosing which quests to go on and finding out whether I could defeat each opponent.

By the end of the demo, this was a definite buy for me.

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Jun 12, 11 9:26 AM
This is definately more like "Puzzle Hero" than it is like any of the "Slot Quest" games.

I LOVE RPG aspects in games... but I don't like the multi-person parties that most RPGs use. I want ONE character to level and involve myself in and tweak every little aspect of their "leveling up" and this is the closest thing to my prefered RPG style that I've seen in the casual game market (ok, Puzzle Quest was pretty involved but there is only so much M3 battle I can handle... and those can be pretty "luck based" too!). And I've always loved slots... just not enough to collect all the varied slot games (I did that 12 yrs ago... I don't need any more!).

IMO, this is the best of both worlds. There is some strategy to choosing your spells, runes, how to spend your gold, and adjusting the sliders on the slot machine. Do you want more Mana bases spells and the ability to heal yourself? Then you have to give up some Attack spells. Do you want to "farm gold"? Then you will "level" slower... And you have to choose your spells with the slot payout in mind... because if you went for "heavy mana" then having a 30 attack power spell doesn't do you a lot of good! On top of that, you still get the "joy" of having a payout of 5! woo hoo jackpot! Now, how best to use that jackpot...

RPGs have always had an element of "randomness / luck" to them, they were orginally based on the roll of a die! How you respond to your luck is what matters... and if you lose a battle here, there really aren't any harsh consequences.. you just lose the gold and exp that you aquired in that ONE battle. And the game immedeatly gives you the chance to try again (or flee, go back to town, and rebalance your spells).

All in all, way more enjoyable than expected and I blew through the whole demo hr without noticing the time! Off to purchase... hope you give this a chance and enjoy your gaming!

Edited on 06/12/2011 at 9:29:50 AM PST

SillyName6
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by SillyName6 on Jun 12, 11 10:09 AM
I have been addicted to Puzzle Quest for ages and when I saw that the Battle Slots gameplay was a lot like it, I couldn't wait to try it.
I wish I hadn't!!!
I have never played a more ridiculous and pointless game in my entire life ... and mind you, I've played quite a few!!!
I think this game is a complete waste of time!!!

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Jun 12, 11 10:34 PM
I am a slots fan and was looking forward to this game but the file was corrupt

saram50
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by saram50 on Jun 13, 11 11:00 PM
I have been playing this game almost nonstop for two days. It is not a slam dunk, in that you have to make decisions on what attack/magic combination that is more effective for specific monsters. I love this game. More like it please!

littletanpom
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by littletanpom on Jun 14, 11 5:50 AM
I love this game!!! I have been playing it more or less non stop since I bought it. I had tried Puzzle Quest but couln't get into it. Vezzettj gave a great review and there is a lot of strategy to this game. I am at a point right now where I am stumped because I have having to fight a monster that is much more powerful than I am. However, there is one thing I don't understand - how Ruins work. I don't really understand how they really influence the game. Adjusting the slots looks easy but when you get into a battle you begin to wonder if you placed they correctly. A lot going on in this game and I am really enjoying it.

Go to: