shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dreams of a Geisha

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 12, 11 12:35 AM
I will take a chance of getting in "dutch" with the mods and start the comment thread for you Match 3 fans - it is getting quite late and.... So, here you go!!

Edited on 06/12/2011 at 2:29:50 AM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dreams of a Geisha

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jun 12, 11 12:48 AM
I only played a little because it is after midnight here, and I am very sleepy. But I just had to download and look at this promising new Match-3, since there has been a drought in that area. So far, this looks like a very nice Match-3 game, with all of the bells and whistles we expect from a good one -- untimed play available, different game modes (at least 4), and nice art. I'll pop up again after I've gotten some sleep.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jun 12, 11 1:13 AM
Kudos for the great and extremely detailed review, Goofyduck77
I can't think of a thing you did not cover and I have no "cons" so I'll only say that I it and it is a buy for me. If you like M3 games or even if you don't usually, I would urge give this one a try! Thanks and Devs I've been waiting for a great M3 to play between HOGs. Happy Gaming All

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jun 12, 11 1:22 AM
Nice graphics, cute story, good music, colorful scenes and fun gameplay. I will buy it if I'm Match3 fans but because I'm not personally like Match3 I will have a think about it. However, this is the best Match3 I've played this year!!!

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Jun 12, 11 1:32 AM
I will probably buy it as it has a combination of other elements. I enjoy moving keys along paths by rotating the boards. I enjoyed the graphics and the music.
So although I am not a fan of ordinary match 3's this one I do really like.
My only hesitaion is that I had to restart the game. First time of play, the message kept popping up about rotating the board to move the key, but nothing was happening when I clicked on the arrows or right clicked the mouse. It was on the 2nd or 3rd board - cannot remember. I clicked to not show the message again but it would not disappear of the screen. So before I buy, I will play it on my laptop to see if it happens again.

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 12, 11 2:32 AM
Thanks shadowfax44 for starting this thread! I've gone ahead and stickied it for you.

Fishies, what do you think of Dreams of a Geisha? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 12, 11 2:37 AM
Personally, the sparkles were too shiny for me, and made my eyes tired, even though I tried messing with my monitor's brightness and contrast settings.

During the demo hour, the only story I saw was the intro one (- I hadn't quite got all the puzzle pieces to do a puzzle, so I don't know if there's story with those...). Lots of good gameplay options like timed and untimed, and 4 modes. But I was annoyed to keep finding the hammer in my "hand" repeatedly when I did not intend to pick it up.

I prefer the aesthetics of Age of Japan, which this seemed to me to resemble from the gameplay video, but that game is lacking the gameplay options that this one has.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 12, 11 4:41 AM
I am not an expert when it comes to match 3 games but like them to break up my Hidden Object / Adventure addiction. I am very picky about match 3's and really enjoyed the demo for Dreams of a Geisha.
It has 3 different play modes that you have to earn your way into and a some point after you collect all the pieces you have a puzzle to solve. I didn't get far enough during the demo to get a puzzle. I may have if I had just played in the match 3 mode but had to try the pop it mode to. It also has a chain mode but i hadn't earned that yet.
I like that you can flip the puzzle when you need to and you can earn power ups.
You can play timed version or relaxed. I chose timed and it really gave me a run for my money.
If you run short of time you can use earned points to buy more time to finish that particular puzzle. I had to use that option once because I forgot you could shuffle
I loved the background music. It keeps with the style of the game and is very relaxing.
I do think this would have great replay value or play against someone to see who can get the highest score.
I seldom actually purchase Match 3's but I think I will get this one.

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Jun 12, 11 5:14 AM
I beta tested this game and liked it a lot. My only suggestion was to darken the gold tiles because these old eyes, or the bright Florida sunshine, make it hard for me to distinguish the colors. Looks like they didn't really darken them a bit. Still, I'm going to buy it. Definitely try it!

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on Jun 12, 11 6:13 AM
I found this a lovely relaxing game. The music is very atmospheric & as with most M3's that I like it's drawn art is pleasing to the eye
I will wait to see whether it's a buy what other goodies are available this week
boots

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Jun 12, 11 8:13 AM
I beta tested this game. It is definitely a match three type game. Beautiful graphics, interesting storyline, and the match three has a twist here and there. I am more into the hidden object genre, but this one was fun. You open the gates with the gameplay and if I remember correctly there are about 40 levels which you get to a certain point and you can advance or continue to rack up points. Nicely done. I believe it is a sequel to another geisha game recently released on BFG. Those who played the first one will enjoy the continuation, and those who are hooked on match three will love it.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jun 12, 11 8:37 AM
I'm back as I promised, having now opened all the game modes except whatever we do with the puzzle pieces (If I wasn't too sleepy last night, I think they said you get a puzzle after 9 levels.)

I can't add much to the detailed reviews, except that I very much like rotating boards, and this one has the extra that you can rotate it one quarter-turn to the right with a right-click. Very convient compared to using the arrows.

Another technical hint. If you play untimed (I don't play timed, so I don't know about that) you earn a shuffle after a relatively short time of play. There is no downside to using it and letting it refill. This is particularly helpful in the group mode, because the field can get very fragmented. Also, the dragon power-up seems to defragment the board some. The hammer can be very useful for positioning the key in difficult situations.

Well, I lust after more levels and finding out about those puzzles. Under my old rating system, this one gets the highest rating of .

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 12, 11 8:57 AM
YIPEE....I have been waiting so long, for a good M3 game, and it looks like it is finally here !!
My M3 addiction, is going to get it's fix, I can hardly wait, now I just need to get my coffee, and I am off for the day in M3 BLISS .
Thanks for the great reviews everyone, I thought this was going to be another let down on a M3 that wasn't my cup of tea, but after reading the reviews, its a M3 that I have been waiting for...SO HAPPY :-)

Well I played the demo and got to do the first puzzle, in swap mode, loving this game !
I also like having to move the key, to the right portal, usually it does it by itself, so getting to see it move, is an added bonus and original.
Plus moving the board with the right mouse button, is very helpful and adds flow, making the game play very smooth..THANKS developers .
Love the different icons used in the playing field, very pleasing to the eye's, and the bombs and cages are fun to set off and open.
Of course my favorite is always the swap mode, WISH the entire game was in this mode, but that won't stop me from buying this gem, just wish the developers would listen to that small tibet of advice, when making a M3 game .
All in all, GREAT job developers, I just LOVE M3 games, so I do appreciate all of your hard work and effort, that went into making this, and for giving me my FIX, believe me I was in M3 withdrawl, and we all know withdrawl is not a pretty site or feeling...lol!!
I'll give it 4 ...If the entire game would have been swap mode, it would have had 5 stars, now off to purchase .

Edited on 06/12/2011 at 12:18:29 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 12, 11 9:05 AM
This is a really good match 3 games. I am off to buy now lol

RU14ME2C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by RU14ME2C on Jun 12, 11 9:22 AM
There has been a drought as far as Match 3 Games goes lately, and this one seems rather nice, but I am really only a fan of the SWAP mode for Match 3's. The other modes (group, chain, in hand replace) are not really my cup of tea. This game seems to copy a few others before it with the 4 modes & the drop key to chest formulas; and if only they would allow you to pick whatever mode you want to use on any level; this game would be a definite buy for me. Went throught the first 5 levels of swap and was really loving the game, and THEN ... random clicking on group mode for a few levels (hard to tell if there are any match 3's left, and the game takes it's time to tell you there aren't). Don't think I will continue on to the other levels. Close BFG, just not quite.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 12, 11 9:28 AM
As always, there's not much to add to Goofyduck's thorough review, but I thought I would post because I don't usually play Match-3 games and because of the options (power-ups, flipping the board, making matches and finding matches, as well as the mini-game) this game kept my interest for the whole hour.

Edited on 06/12/2011 at 10:03:27 AM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jun 12, 11 9:32 AM
Coming back again to report on the puzzles. My foggy memory was correct that you get the first one after nine levels in the same temple. It is a fairly simple 9-place square-piece jigaw, and you get to see the picture before it scrambles. The second puzzle will be a 16-piece jigsaw, and I don't know about the third yet, since I don't want to play all of one game type at one time.

Oh, for those of you who are quicker on the uptake than I am, the number of pieces neded for each puzzle is posted on that sign above the two dragons. And if you're wondering how there can be three puzzles if the second one needs 16 pieces, well, wait for the levels with two keys to unlock two boxes.

And yes, whoever wondered long ago if the puzzles maybe continue the "save the Geisha tradition" story, that seems to be the case. But no more narration so far .

jocarl17
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by jocarl17 on Jun 12, 11 9:37 AM
I also like Match 3's as a break from ****'s, and this one is very relaxing. It took me a few minutes to realize what was missing, though. It is too quiet! I like the crazy noises when a chain (or cage) breaks or a bomb goes off. This one is very muffled. Give me the noises from "Paradise" anytime.

Geisha will be a good one to play right before bed, I suppose. Very soothing. Hmmm, have to think about this one.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Jun 12, 11 9:38 AM
Glad to hear they next puzzle will be 16 piece - the 9 piece was just too easy and I was beginning to regret buying it. I do prefer being able to change the type of match 3 mode myself as I was finding it a bit boring especially where you click on the groups, needed to shuffle far too often.

Minxiepieces
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by Minxiepieces on Jun 12, 11 9:58 AM
This lovely Match 3 begins as deceptively easy and becomes a fun challenge. The rotation feature becomes essential. I agree that the delay is too long in some instances, but this did not detract from the game for me. Have fun!

Go to: