ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

BING Warning!!

[Post New]by ajuma on Jun 13, 11 12:15 AM
Just letting everyone know that you need to uncheck the box if you don't want to install the "Bing" toolbar when the Direct X download comes up!!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:BING Warning!!

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 13, 11 12:26 AM
Hi there ajuma,
As I posted in CCC, I would also add that before any of you get your nickers in a knot about this, you are probably being asked to upgrade DirectX. This is a Microsoft product, so of course they are "encouraging" you to also install/upgrade to Bing.
If you think you have the most recent version of DirectX, cancel the instalment, the game will probably run OK anyway.
This is not a BFG promotion.
Cheers

pecabo1338
Clownfish
Clownfish
549 Posts

[Post New]by pecabo1338 on Jun 13, 11 7:01 AM
Bing has utterly messed up my computer. It took days to get rid of it. Bing is malware that hijacks your computer browser and homepage.

It will disappear google for you.

Every stinking page I opened gave me this god-awful bing. And is it ever ugly.

There is no delete for BING in the remove program lists.

BING IS INSIDIOUS!!!!!!!!

Edited on 06/13/2011 at 7:05:37 AM PST

parriepenn
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by parriepenn on Jun 13, 11 2:53 PM
Bing isn't malware, just a pain in the ****. If you are running Vista or Windows 7, you should be able to remove the Bing toolbar this way.

1. Click Start button.
2. Click Control Panel (far right) or on desktop.
3. Click Programs and Features. (If you just have a few icons showing, go to far right where it says "categories," and click one of the icon choices.)
4. Select Bing Toolbar (or something like that).
5. Click Uninstall.

You may have to restart.

If you want to use Google to search beside your address bar, follow these steps.

1.Go to the box beside the address bar and click the down arrow. A list will drop down.
2. Click Find More Providers...
3. Search for Google.
4. Click Google Search (3rd over).
5. Click to Install.
6. Add.

Aamaretto
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Aamaretto on Jun 14, 11 10:24 AM
I was confused from reading these posts, so I'm going to post my own input on this:

Edit: This is my experience with Windows XP.

After your BFG game manager finishes with the "Install" of Farm 2, you'll get another window that starts to install DirectX. You have to accept the install or your game will not run; the game manager will finish everything up, but when you try to "Play" the game, you'll get an error and it won't play.

While you're installing DirectX, one of the screens will ask you if you want to install the Bing Toolbar. There is a checkbox that says something like, "Install Bing toolbar." You click the checkbox and click the Next button. Directx will install, your game will finish, and you'll be able to play.

Although from my experience and the other reviews on the site, why you want to play Farm 2 is beyond me But I digress.

Edited on 06/14/2011 at 10:25:14 AM PST

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Jun 14, 11 12:35 PM

Some additional information for those who are using Internet Explorer and may have unintentionally downloaded a toolbar/search engine. After uninstalling the toolbar/search engine via add/remove programs, you may still notice the toolbar/search engine, or remnants thereof, showing up in your internet browser (IE). To remove these remnants, do the following:

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options

Click on the Advanced tab and then click Reset (Warning: This procedure will remove all add-ons and completely reset IE to it's default settings, so any changes you made to IE will be gone. You'll just need to set up your IE preferences from scratch)

Edited on 06/14/2011 at 12:36:25 PM PST

parriepenn
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by parriepenn on Jun 15, 11 1:08 PM
DirectX setup comes up whether your computer is up to date or not. If you have the latest version, you can cancel out of it and the game will still run.

Go to: