bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Hidato Adventures

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jun 14, 11 12:14 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Hidato Adventures? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hidato Adventures

[Post New]by moonladydi on Jun 14, 11 1:18 AM
I was hoping this would be like Sudoku, but it's more like connect the dots with numbers. You can't even enlarge the view to Fullscreen to make it easier to see the gameboard. I uninstalled the Demo after 5 minutes.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 14, 11 3:15 AM
I don't like it. Small screen. Uninstall it after 3 minutes.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 14, 11 3:21 AM
The game has started in window mode, but I was able to change it via "options". But I dislike the gameplay. Its a no buy for me

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jun 14, 11 3:55 AM
I have only played for 15 minutes. I, also was able to get a stretch widescreen after choosing fullscreen under options and manually setting my display to 1280 x 1024.

The size is not the problem for me. It is the timer challenges that you cannot proceed past until you beat the time. In easy mode that probably will be fine but, in later puzzles, I am concerned that I may get stuck because of this and not be able to finish a puzzle or move on.

I know others may enjoy them but, I don't do well with timers. I don't like having to start my work all over again just because I run out of time.

I don't know how this is really an adventure as that part seems limited to jumping pegs on a map. Maybe it changes later.

I enjoyed figuring out the puzzles and I will probably finish until my demo time runs out but, I won't buy the game without an option to play untimed.

jenoz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by jenoz on Jun 14, 11 4:50 AM
I quite enjoyed it as a bit of a change it is a logic puzzle really.My understanding of the timer was that it if I beat it it rewarded me with an extra section of map with extra puzzles, and once I failed at one I went back to the original path I had been following.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 14, 11 5:00 AM

This game doesn't TO ME have any logic to it; I just can't seem to see how you can connect the dots when 1 number you place is across the board from another number.

This game is definitely not my

MEnr56

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jun 14, 11 5:03 AM
jenoz wrote:I quite enjoyed it as a bit of a change it is a logic puzzle really.My understanding of the timer was that it if I beat it it rewarded me with an extra section of map with extra puzzles, and once I failed at one I went back to the original path I had been following.

Thanks jenoz. I'll check into that!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 14, 11 5:10 AM
I gave this a good go, as I do like puzzles. Unfortunately, I found it to be too repetitive.
Very clear graphics.
The screen size changed when I took it out of windowed mode and filled my screen. I never like to change my basic system settings for any game, as that appears to be an ongoing change. All in all, some people will really enjoy this but not for me.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 14, 11 7:11 AM
I had never heard of a Hidato puzzle so I looked it up. From Wiki:

Hidato is a logic puzzle game invented by Dr. Gyora Benedek, an Israeli mathematician. The goal of Hidato is to fill the grid with consecutive numbers that connect horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

@MEnr56 - If you look it up in Wikipedia, they give illustrations of a puzzle and its completed version, and you can see how the connections are made.

Edited on 06/14/2011 at 7:13:45 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 14, 11 9:07 AM
I downloaded it and played it in Easy Mode. In that mode, the timer just runs, telling you how long it's taking you to play the game.

The game seems to be very well designed and the gameplay is smooth. Graphics and sound are excellent. Really looks like they put some time and effort into the design. There are hidden treasures you can win if you complete a perfect game with no mistakes or corrections - I haven't won any of those yet. The game allows you to Clear the board if you want to reset the puzzle to the beginning. There is also a Check button that allows you to see which numbers are correctly placed.

In the Adventure Mode of the game, the puzzles are set in various locations around the world; there seems to be 35+ of them. Each site has a postcard graphic that goes into an album when you complete the location; you can view the album (and the awards) page separately in the Award Room.

There is also the Puzzle Library that shows six "books" of puzzles: Level 1 Classics, Shape Studies Vol. I, Classics II, Advanced Shape Studies, Three Quest, and Master Works Book 4. The first two are were unlocked when I went to that section after playing the Adventure mode a while, and when opened, give me the choice of puzzles numbered 1-50, in each. I'm assuming the other puzzle books unlock the further I get into the game, or perhaps when the first two books are completed. So 6 books time 50 puzzles each is another 300 puzzles to play.

Options give you the adjustments for sound and effects, the choice of playing windowed or not, the choice of playing in Easy Mode, and the option to restore game tips.

The game is simple in that there are no hidden tricks, no math that has to be done. You are given the first and last numbers, and some of the other numbers are pre-filled in. It's just a matter of filling in the numbers in the correct sequence so that they flow one after the other and fill up the whole board. The difficulty comes in when the numbers have to be doubled back on one another so you're not just placing them vertically or horizontally - you're going diagonally, or in a zig-zag direction in addition to other patterns. As the puzzles increase in difficulty, the ending number is higher so there are more boxes to fill and more possible directions to go.

I've play a little over half of my demo time, and I'm really liking this game. I'm going to use one of my coupons on it.

[Post New]by Rooibos0727 on Jun 14, 11 1:02 PM
I loved the game for the first 60 minutes that it was free. I bought the game. Had to run to the grocery store. Came home and activated it and went to play and see I'm starting all over.

I hope that once I progress this time it will allow me to put in my name and save my progress. Otherwise I will never get to the end.

I am playing full screen and found that in options; however, am not finding an option to save progress or an option to put my name to save my progress. Puzzling....

kladoink
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by kladoink on Jun 14, 11 1:04 PM
ooh I love it! It's a decent size on my screen, no fiddling with size or resolution, and I find the controls pretty easy. I really like it but then I like logic type puzzles..

However I'm not sure I'd buy it. I've finished the demo hour and it's not an auto buy for me. I might buy it one day but not today.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jun 14, 11 3:34 PM
It's a Buy! A different type of logic puzzle, no math required.

After checking Full Screen in Options it did enlarge to fill the screen. Saved my progress in Adventure Mode just fine....although don't see any place to put in Player Name. There are some awards which I always enjoy collecting. I earned one for completing the optional Timed side journey.

Note regarding Timed versus Untimed Levels -- there are some of each, although it would seem majority of the levels are Untimed. When it offered the first optional side journey, that's the first series of Timed boards. Even for this Hidato newbie, those timed levels seemed more than generous.

There are 7 books in the Puzzle Library at start of game (see edit ** below) which you gradually unlock. The first 2 contain 50 puzzles each, all that I looked at were Untimed. Successful completion of that first optional side journey unlocked Book #7 the Book of Time -- 50 puzzles, all Timed. I played 5 puzzles from Book #7, all started 5 minutes counting down to zero. Did fine on 4 of them and flubbed up the 5th. Not bad. But with that Timer for Book #7, probably won't be my fav.

The Easy Mode versus Advanced seems to relate to whether or not it shows the pale green available squares for moves. There may be other differences, but that's all I've noticed so far.

Very happy to have a fun new type of logic puzzle to add to my collection.

**Edit to Add: After progressing a bit on the journey, Book #8 was added to the Puzzle Library. Called Line Styles, 50 more puzzles playing a variation of the game where no diagonal moves are allowed, untimed. Looks like room for at least 2 more books on the shelf so wonder how many more will be added as journey continues?
This is alot of bang for the buck, so far that's 8 books with 50 puzzles each. The puzzles increase in complexity, bigger boards of different shapes.

Edited on 06/15/2011 at 11:21:09 PM PST

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Jun 14, 11 3:39 PM
I love logic puzzles. It took me a bit before I recognized the name of this one, as I haven't played it in a while. This is very well-done. Unlike Rooibos0727, when I purchased and activated, it did not reset my progress, for which I am grateful. I did not have any trouble with window size - just went to "options" right away.

As for game play, there are directions for controls, though they are not entirely clear until you play a screen or two. I have finished 3 puzzles now, 2 on the hard difficulty level, and with "perfect" scores each time (no hints or mistakes). Like "Gemsweeper", another very nice computer adaption of a game I have played on paper, I am enjoying it very much.

That said, it certainly is aimed at those who enjoy logic puzzles to begin with. Yes, you can get a bit tired with the same puzzle type after a while; I don't expect to finish this in a couple of days, but I plan to just do a few puzzles at a time as I feel like it.

Happy gaming!

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Jun 14, 11 5:15 PM
I'd be happy to help, robinsegg, but maybe go ahead & start a new thread. What, exactly are you stuck on? Are you playing adventure mode and have no new places, or what?

At this point I have completed two of the bonus tracks - the timed levels, and the "Line" style puzzles, and my adventure mode map has me somewhere in the mideast, I think. I'd have to check. If you're ahead of that, I probably won't be much help.

KitSeason
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by KitSeason on Jun 14, 11 5:47 PM
I just finished my demo and have some reservations but only that maybe I'll go through the puzzles too quickly. Having read here though that there are additional books and timer paths to unlock, it looks like it can keep me playing for a long long time. This is a thumbs up for me, but it's true, you really have to like the sudoku type of puzzle. I may not get this one right away, but it's definitely on my "to get" list.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 14, 11 5:53 PM
i enjoy these types of puzzles, so i was looking forward to giving this one a spin...

i'm a little disappointed to find that it only plays well in windowed mode on my computer... this would be great, i suppose, if i spent a ton of time chatting online while i play or perhaps wanted to squeeze in a board or two here and there during my work day, but then why would i want to invest money in a game that i would only afford part of my attention to for little shreds of time throughout the day?

on the other hand, there are a lot of puzzles to solve... which is great for my brain! i unlocked the first 'extra' path and followed it to the end and was awarded a whole book of puzzles for my library, which as it turns out already had a handful of books waiting to be unlocked in it... in addition to more and more puzzles, there are other awards as well... like a huge golden statue of "hidatocles" and piles and piles of gold... yay!

for me, i would like something a little more immersive and i feel that this isn't the game to do that, so i will be passing on it... guess i like a little more adventure in my games at the moment

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 14, 11 8:26 PM
Played the hour demo. I haven't seen this puzzle type before. I think I like it. If it were a daily deal, I would definitely buy it. As it is, it may well be the next game I use a punchcard credit on.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 14, 11 8:44 PM
I had never heard of this type of puzzle but am disappointed. The description was perplexing puzzles and incredible gameplay. They don't tell you that it's the same puzzle in a different shape over and over. I was very interested for 15 minutes and got bored. They give you 600 seconds to complete a puzzle that I completed in 90 at an easy pace and never having done this type of puzzle before.
Sorry I just can't find the intrigue here. No challenge. No buy.

I did want to say that if you go under the options menu you have a choice to make it full screen. I read in reviews that some couldn't get it to go full screen. Worked fine for me.

Edited on 06/14/2011 at 8:46:40 PM PST

Go to: