phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

One of my pet peeves is poor grammar and spelling.

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 16, 11 3:00 PM
I already got a dose of that in one of the screenshots - the one with the scepter, knife or whatever it is. I'm sorry, but while that kind of poor localization might pass with me in a low budget game, it is totally unacceptable in a CE. No, no, no.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

One of my pet peeves is poor grammar and spelling.

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 17, 11 2:42 AM
phatkhat wrote:I already got a dose of that in one of the screenshots - the one with the scepter, knife or whatever it is. I'm sorry, but while that kind of poor localization might pass with me in a low budget game, it is totally unacceptable in a CE. No, no, no.

Thanks phatkat - I saw that as well in the screenshot, but thought it was just these poor old eyes couldn't see properly (as it was so very tiny!)

Kel

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:One of my pet peeves is poor grammar and spelling.

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 17, 11 3:39 AM
I have not noticed one instance of poor grammar or spelling in this game.
I also saw those screen shots, but if this occurs in the actual game, I have not come across it yet. So far, it has been perfect in that respect. Just thought I would let you know this.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 17, 11 3:57 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I have not noticed one instance of poor grammar or spelling in this game.
I also saw those screen shots, but if this occurs in the actual game, I have not come across it yet. So far, it has been perfect in that respect. Just thought I would let you know this.

I agree. I have not seen anything wrong with either the spelling nor the grammar.

Boomer47
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Jun 17, 11 4:06 AM
Good Morning,

I also notice the errors in many of the games that are released, however, I take into consideration the fact that most of these games are not produced in English speaking countries.

While one would imagine that a developer who is planning on realeasing a game in English speaking countries would ensure they have a enlisted the services of a competent translator, this does not always happen.

Rather than take offense, if the game is fun and engaging I simply overlook the errors, if they negatively impact the game play I delete the game and move on.

Peace

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 17, 11 5:28 AM
There was a scene with the doctor that had rather elegant dialog involved, probably better than I could write on a good day. I haven't noticed any glaring spelling or grammatical errors at all.

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Jun 17, 11 2:54 PM
yeh I once spent ages looking for a CLEAVER in a HOG pile and eventually used the hint to find they meant CLOVER of the 4 leaf variety lol

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 18, 11 5:04 PM
Well, maybe the screenshot was done before localization was complete. I know the developers who are working with BFG are limited in what they can do - secrecy and all, but after working on some closed betas with another developer who makes sure EVERYthing is right before release, I just don't have much tolerance for poor production values of any kind anymore.

I rarely download the CEs. I just wait for the SE to come out. We'll see then...

geobabe1
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by geobabe1 on Jun 18, 11 7:20 PM
stevieferr wrote:yeh I once spent ages looking for a CLEAVER in a HOG pile and eventually used the hint to find they meant CLOVER of the 4 leaf variety lol
I think I remember that one, though I forget what game it was. That's the kind of error that obviously does affect gameplay, but otherwise, as Boomer47 points out, many of these games are developed by non-native English speakers, so I'm more tolerant of more minor spelling/grammar mistakes.

Go to: