bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Val'Gor: The Beginning

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jun 22, 11 12:30 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Val'Gor: The Beginning? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Val'Gor: The Beginning

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 22, 11 12:48 AM

Very nice functioning M3 but its too similar to the play of alot of others.

ValGor (the original) is an older game available here on BFG and I am satisfied with it - I purchased as a DD.

I might purchase this as a DD.....

Lule68
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by Lule68 on Jun 22, 11 1:28 AM
Nice match 3 game. I liked the gameplay, releasing bubbles on top, turning the board to let pieces of gold fall out the bottom. You can also continue to make matches as the tiles fall which to me is a must in M3. The money earned is used to buy power-ups and artifacts from the shop. The game is timed but you can finish even after the time runs out. For me, the tiles were a bit too bright (maybe just a little too childish?) and while I enjoyed the demo, it’s not a must-buy for me. Maybe as a DD.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jun 22, 11 1:56 AM
Wondering why there're so many Match3 games lately???

This game is actually very cute and original! Great graphics and effects with some enjoyable plot and well designed characters. Match3 fans should be happy about this game but not for me cuz i'm not a big Match3 fan!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jun 22, 11 4:06 AM
I do not really review games, I just put my comments so I am not sure if I should post here or in the other thread. If I get yelled at by anyone then I know I am in the wrong place. I played about 10 minutes of the game and deleted. The music was nice to listen to, but I just didn't like the game play. It is the same as most of my other Match 3 games. I do not like rotating game boards. I felt like I had to hurry because of the timer, even though the game would continue if the time ran out. The graphics were nice to look at. Just not a game for me.

txtabby
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by txtabby on Jun 22, 11 5:41 AM
I think it's wonderful a new m3 came out today. You can see the boards that flow nicely. I've only played about 30 minutes of the demo and I will buy. No paths to follow to be hearded like sheep and there's a timer but it doesn't kick you out and tell you you failed if you go over the time limit. There's not a lot of stuck in to break it up but this will be challenging and I like bring the bubbles up also. We have been in a m3 drought for soooo long that it's really nice that 4 or 5 pop up in a row that you have a choice or if you're like me you have to buy most of them. The games seem to go in cycles and you can never please everybody so I try to like all games and at least give them a try without downing it because it's not my favorite. To all m3 lovers please try this, not that fancy just fun to play.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Jun 22, 11 10:20 AM
angelfishp wrote:I do not really review games, I just put my comments so I am not sure if I should post here or in the other thread. If I get yelled at by anyone then I know I am in the wrong place. I played about 10 minutes of the game and deleted. The music was nice to listen to, but I just didn't like the game play. It is the same as most of my other Match 3 games. I do not like rotating game boards. I felt like I had to hurry because of the timer, even though the game would continue if the time ran out. The graphics were nice to look at. Just not a game for me.

Angelfishp, that was a good review - it gave a good quick idea of the game.

No yelling here

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 22, 11 11:36 AM

Thanks, Goofy...
Your review convinced me to give this another try. And maybe buy.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 22, 11 12:11 PM
This is an average match 3 game. Graphic are so-so, gameplay is a little bit to easy for me. I might buy it as a Daily Deal, but not for the full price.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jun 22, 11 2:18 PM
sheilamilo wrote:
angelfishp wrote:I do not really review games, I just put my comments so I am not sure if I should post here or in the other thread. If I get yelled at by anyone then I know I am in the wrong place. I played about 10 minutes of the game and deleted. The music was nice to listen to, but I just didn't like the game play. It is the same as most of my other Match 3 games. I do not like rotating game boards. I felt like I had to hurry because of the timer, even though the game would continue if the time ran out. The graphics were nice to look at. Just not a game for me.

Angelfishp, that was a good review - it gave a good quick idea of the game.

No yelling here

Thank you Sheilamilo. You are very kind

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jun 22, 11 4:04 PM
I posted this in Comments and Other Chaos thread since it seemed it would be helpful for that thread to have at least have a handful of posts actually related to playing this specific game. But since it's much more of a review, decided to copy it over here too.

As to this game, I like it well enough to use a coupon to get it.

It has varying types of tiles, some have said childish, but I say fun and pleasant enough! While I'm not exactly the biggest fan of rotating boards, I found myself using it alot to get the special pieces in-line to drop off the board.

It does have its fair share of bright flashes, so if a visual concern, I say try before you buy.

Wizards, spells, mystical stuff -- but all in good light fun, nothing serious or dark IMO. It has a sorta retro feel. But I don't have anything quite like it and that's what made it a buy for me. Oh, and the music isn't bad. Plus you earn all sorts of awards.

Goofy's excellent review mentioned importance of tutorial. Agree! Although usually I leap right in, then realize oops, how 'bout that tutorial now LOL.

Once you're in play mode, where the book is sparkling on the desk, click on that thing to the left and you'll see Profile. That's all your awards and your standing as to Wisdom, Popularity, and more. There's stuff to buy, most beneficial, but some seem to have warnings too. hmmmm.

Bet there's some tricks coming to this possibly deceptively simple M-3. Looking forward to finding out.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 22, 11 7:01 PM

Thanks, kdubs and Goofy...
Both of your reviews have FURTHER convinced me to give this another try. And maybe buy.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jun 23, 11 4:31 AM
This is a light-hearted M3 with good graphics, music, sound effects and a wide variety of game play. I bought it.

The levels vary in challenges. Sometimes you can rotate the board. Sometimes you have to move certain pieces off the board.

And there are lots of different things to do. When you hear an audible signal, you can earn bonus points by matching a specific object. Special power-ups appear as if by magic (!!!) if you make a large match. There's one object that will give you $$$ to race around and pick up.

The shop is very Harry Potter-ish. You can buy not only power-ups, but artifacts that increase your character's profile characteristic.

There's a timer, but it doesn't really matter. You don't have to replay a level if you don't finish in the time allotted. You just don't earn extra bonus points.

You can also replay prior levels if you'd like. Hint: if you're low on $$$, just replay the very first level until you build up your cash reserves to buy power-ups (AKA spells) and artifacts.

The only con is that some of the objects, to me, are dark. It can become hard to see which areas still need to be cleared--then again, they will give you a little discrete sparkle.

I didn't play the first game, and now I'm gong to go tryit out.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 23, 11 4:43 PM
I really enjoyed the demo for this. the graphics are bright and fun. The board changes symbols so you aren't looking at the same pieces time after time. You can earn cash to buy power ups that automatically go into your board. You don't have to complete in a certain time. it just gives you less points.
Unfortunately from the hour I played I think it may become to repetitive for my taste but would be great for some players.

[Post New]by wcptink on Jun 24, 11 10:46 AM
Am I the only one that had the game come through in Greek or ancient Hebrew. Or maybe it was just some other language. Anyway, Cant even read the play button so no play for me. Bummer, I wanted a new match three.

[Post New]by Serf2CavSpaniel on Jun 24, 11 1:25 PM
Val'Gor gets my punchcard credit. I'm a fan of the M3 genre and found this one a blast to play. The thing I liked most was the variety offered between boards. No two were alike throughout the hour sample played. Layout, tiles, tokens, purchased 'spells' (power-ups) and 'artifacts' that increased the player's wisdom and popularity (these factors help power-up your power-ups) helped fuel my interest in the game. Most M3s are not that addictive, but this one really piqued my curiosity as to what new thing the next board would throw at me and kept me playing.
Graphics were attractive enough, cute rather than gorgeous and the sound effects kind of reminded me of a Vegas video slot machine, LOL.
Everything ran seamlessly on my laptop ported thru a 21" display- Win 7 Home Premium 64.
BTW, normally, I will pass by any M3 with a timer. Instant delete if there's no 'relaxed play mode'. There's enough stress and pressure in the world...rushing to beat the second hand is just not my idea of fun. (and why there aren't any TM games in my BFG Game Manager- LOL) This timer works out ok for me, though. It's not that punitive. As others have said before, you get a choice to continue or start over. And if you DO continue, you still accrue points, awards and ,just no bonus points for coming in under the time limit. Plus there's a spell you can buy that adds two extra minutes to the timer, heh heh heh...
Anyway, if you like M3s, give this one a test drive. You may find it worth adding to your collection. Happy matching!

[Post New]by gamerkitty on Jun 28, 11 5:30 PM
I just finished, and I LOVED this M3. The original was a find the differences, and I liked that one, well. I liked the diversity in game play with the new one, and I never knew which level was going to be easy and which one was going to kick my ****!
M3 lovers need to try this one out

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Jun 30, 11 7:42 PM
This is a very BUSY game! So much going on, and it seems like you just jump in with both feet and hope you'll be able to swim. Goofy mentioned not bypassing the tutorial, and I thought I hadn't, but I still didn't know where all those little critters on the board were coming from and what they did. Maybe I should start over with a new profile and see if I missed the tutorial the first time around. Right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of direction here for me.

I do like the variety. Raising the bubbles is certainly a new twist, and while I'm usually not a fan of rotating boards, it was kinda fun in this game. I also liked the fact that you could choose to keep playing even if you ran out of time.

I love M3 games, and it's possible that this game could grow on me, but I don't think I want to spend a credit on it at this point. I think I'll just wait to see if it becomes available as a DD.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 1, 11 10:16 PM
I'm somewhere around level 130 and I've come to love this game as my go-to when I need a boost to my spirits. As some have said before me, this is a game where you never quite know what's coming at you -- an easy level, or a super-hard one. And the different game modes (including a turning board) keep me interested.

I much like the "cauldron" levels, where you have to move the bubbles up while the tokens move down. Very counter-intuitive and therefore great fun.

One thing I really like is the fact that many of the power-ups have some very specific uses aimed at specific levels. One example: the power-up that removes chains and ice for a few seconds. Seems not that important until you get a level where all the upper rows are chained and iced, so tokens won't drop. Using that power-up (I think it's either the lantern or the harp) clears the board briefly so it refills. Some of the other power-ups are similarly targeted. Not at all the same thing as just buying a big bang!

I particularly like the levels where you have to gather specific items (like spiders or acorns). Very appealing and calling for some strategy.

Lovely game, which was against my expectations when I started it. If you are a match-3 fan, keep at this one. The early levels don't really do it justice.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jul 2, 11 2:12 AM
Reviews for Val'Gor: The Beginning
by bfgImbrium on Jun 22, 11 12:30 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Val'Gor: The Beginning? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Well, the reviews are all so detailed there is nothing left to say but a few comments and my opinion.lol I played for 59 minutes and enjoyed every minute of it, which is a little unusual for me since I don't like timers . But, as one Fishie said this is sort of a hybrid M3 (timed/relaxed but without choosing one or the other in the beginning) since you have a choice of finishing after the timer has run down or replaying the level. The one thing I don't think it will be is boring since you never know what it will throw at you next. This made it a buy for me(and a treat as well with the sale this weekend). So I urge all who like M3s to give it a try .
Happy Gaming Fishies And thanks for the sale!

Go to: