bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 23, 11 12:18 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition?
We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 12:34:23 AM PST

Slowpokie
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

Re:Review for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by Slowpokie on Jun 23, 11 12:34 AM
Yahoo!!! I got a special invite demo for this a while back and I LOVED it!!! I swore that when this came out I would get the collectors edition. I only own one other collectors edition so that is saying a lot about this game. The graphics are great and I love the story line. I just don't know what to say other then try it! I hope you find it as good as I did

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Review for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 23, 11 12:38 AM
This is a long game, 657 KB and it will take you some time to download - it took me 15 minutes. The graphics are beautiful and it displays the scenery of Venice. So far, I haven't played very much of the game, but the hidden object scenes I have played are very clear and it is easy to see the items. This game so far has fewer HOG scenes and you must watch out for needed inventory items which appear at random. You have the option to play the game in the casual mode or in the more advanced mode. I am not having much trouble navigating in the advanced mode. The game seems easy enough and the puzzles don't see terribly difficult. There is voice and the music is melodic and not terribly irritating. Looks like another winner for BF. Although it deals with a kidnapping, it seems more like a mystery and not terribly frightening or dark. Also, you earn hints by collecting fans so be on the lookout for them
Grade: A

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 12:39:40 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 23, 11 12:38 AM
Oh goody!! Downloading now...

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jun 23, 11 12:54 AM
So far I downloaded half of it in 3/4 of an hour, I'm on a 20MB connection and it would normally take maybe 10 minutes. I clicked pause and it went straight to 100% then sits there. I have uninstalled it and am trying again.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 23, 11 1:01 AM
Every ERS HOG is a honored member in my game library. These developers just aren't able to create a bad game - no matter which genre it is...

The Adventure Mode is more active than the HOG scenes, and sometimes without Strategy Guide you can walk in circles quite a long time. It has the Agatha Christie plot aura - I hope that the butler didn't do it...

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by geniegal on Jun 23, 11 1:09 AM
Ohhhh!! I have played it for about 40 minutes and am just getting the hang of it. There is an interesting story line that draws you into the game. Hints will recharge over time and you can get extra hints by finding fans.The mini-games so far have been unusual, but not difficult. An interesting twist - there is a merchant you run across that will sell you stuff you need to progress. You need to be on the look out for gold coins (called ducats) so you can buy items. This is a definite buy for me, but my pillow is calling me right now. I wonder if BFG will take ducats? <jk>

HOGs are the usual junk pile and nothing has been hard to find. Occasionally you have to open something to find items listed in blue font.

You are going to go back and forth, so be sure to wear walking shoes.

I dislike music, so I cannot comment on the type or quality of the music.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 1:10:52 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 23, 11 1:15 AM
Story is set in Venice druing the plague, some masked 'leery' man seems to have stolen away 2 ladies and you are looking for one of them.

Playability is the same as any standard adventure interactive hidden object game. advanced mode no sparkles but sparkles on the few H0 scenes. It is heavy on the adventure, interactive and light on the hidden object scene
You collect gold coins during the game and fans for hints in the hidden object scenes.
Graphics, nice but still that faded look which I don't know why they do.
:
Hidden object scene - Only 2 scenes in my demo hour, both junk pile and you had to play both twice. Also I found some items to be the small/fade background hard to find, especially on one of the scenes but not the teeny obscure kind. All 3 points are a BIG to me.

Strategy guide is standard but only showed me one chapter, which looked quite long but have no idea how many chapters there are in the game. So far there was no "occult" or anything like that.

I will buy the SE 100% (I don't buy many CE). This is a good example of this kind of genre and to those that buy a few CEs I am sure will buy this one, once they know how long it is!

B+ so far, as I like the story and setting, but repeating junk pile hidden object scenes for me brings the mark down.

edit - got it to work in widescreen thanks to vervaine.

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 7:41:37 PM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jun 23, 11 1:21 AM
Its an ERS game so of course the quality is there. If its like their other games, I assume there are 8 chapters plus the bonus play but hey they could have changed their formula and I could be wrong. I liked the overall premise of being in a different country (than mine obviously lol) and there was a guy in a shop you buy things from so you need to be on the lookout for coins. You get hints by finding fans in the hidden object scenes. IMO, it was kind of too hidden objecty for me as I stumbled on 3 different spots that I had to play twice on each. This will go on my buy list but I can't get myself to buy a collector's edition for ERS games. Even though their quality if flawless and their games are usually good length wise, they are just missing that special element I look for when purchasing CE's. Happy gaming

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jun 23, 11 1:38 AM
FANTASTIC game, worth the wait. The plot is great, really interesting - scenes, backgrounds, graphics, musics are all great! This is another CANT MISS HOG!!! Bought it after 5 mins into the game!!!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzle: A
HOG Scenes: A
Gameplay: A
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 06/28/2011 at 2:01:17 AM PST

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Jun 23, 11 1:50 AM
I played the full demo and it was okay for me. I was looking forward to this game...BUT...I think I'm going to have to wait for a full walkthrough to be posted. I don't really like all of the secrecy that surrounds the Collector's Editions. I feel like I should be able to preview the WHOLE strategy guide if they're not going to tell you how many chapters there are in the game.

****SPOILER**** (highlight to see text)
I liked the graphics and the atmosphere. But the story about a "secret society" kidnapping the bad people didn't quite appeal to me entirely. I was hoping for something a little bit different based on the screenshots. I kind of felt uncomfortable playing the whole time. Sometimes the game just felt strange and weird, albeit intriguing. So that's why I'll have to wait for a full walkthrough.

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,711 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on Jun 23, 11 1:59 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Oh goody!! Downloading now...

Me Too

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on Jun 23, 11 4:44 AM
Download took 3 minutes. It's full screen, music is not intrusive or annoying, just kind of blends in. Graphics are clear and lovely. What is that masked guy from the Redemption Society up to anyway? Nothing good, of course. The Hidden Object games are clear and full of interesting items with some interaction. Thanks ERS and BF, this is a great way to start my day.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Jun 23, 11 4:59 AM
Beautiful, just beautiful. Fullscreen. Soothing music as in a musical and great sound effects. I loved the theme and its easy to follow as you keep meeting up with the main character. Items are easy to find and the puzzles are both easy and different than most games. There is a way to obtain extra hints if you need them. I havent run into a click penalty. Fabulous Game. Thanks to the developers and Big Fish Games.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jun 23, 11 5:02 AM
CasualGran wrote:This new CE looks so absolutely great ( I Venice ) that I've used 2 credits to buy it right away!

What can I say... it's an ERS. Quality guaranteed.

What catched my eye is that the lipmovements of the characters are very good synchronized with the spoken text. Compared to how that was done in Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night this job has been done perfectly!

Furthermore I just the scenery of Venice. AND there's a thrilling story AND good and newly composed music. Gee, I really can't ask for more!

5 out of 5 with an exclamation mark. Just PERFECT.

Enjoy!

I agree you, Casualgran, when I saw it was an ERS you can not go wrong.with their games.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 5:03:38 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jun 23, 11 7:41 AM
I had to purchase this game. ERS super graphics as usual, ok storyline could have been a little spookier lol.

Voices were pretty good in this one and artwork outstanding. I thought the bonus chapter was way to short. Good game length think it took me about 5ish hours but the bonus was super short.

Happy game day fishies

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 7:44 AM
I've gotten leery of ERS games as their quality has declined over time in their rush to produce quantity. I used to be a huge fan but I am a bit cautious about this one. Will it be the same old same old or perhaps they have gotten back to some of their previous creativity? I'll demo and then wait for others to review it once they've played through for a few hours. I just don't trust ERS games anymore...been disappointed with the last three.

For those that are still happy with their games...happy gaming! Fingers crossed on this end that they produced a quality game after several 'so-so' ones.

Cheers

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jun 23, 11 7:58 AM
Like others have said it's a game by ERS. For many of us that's all we need to know to know we will have quality game should we choose to purchase. For those unfamiliar with ERS, It is a game developer with a great reputation for consistently putting out well crafted games. As usual when it comes to CE's you play a sample version of the game, so if you finish the chapter (am assuming it's only one based on the fact that the SG only showed 1) before 60 minutes is up the demo is over. You could certainly go back and start all over again if you wanted to use the full hour, but I didn't. I only had 15 minutes left. Several fishies have mentioned the lack of music. I found I had to turn the music up in order to hear it at a level I wanted. Normally one of the first things I do is turn the music down so that was different. It's definitely a well crafted game. The graphics are beautiful, the voice overs well done, and as Causal Gran said, they did a great job syncing the lip movements to the speech/text you're reading. In the H0 scenes I played it appears that the objects were period appropriate ( or very close too), in other words no digital cameras or blenders to muck up the scene. The sample does not seem to be nearly as dark theme/moodwise as some of the other ERS games I've played, but looking back that developed as the game progressed and things got creepier.

SPOILER: Highlight to read I was creeped out having to use a mouse to chew through a rope while the plague is running rampant.

I also like the fans-very pretty. Overall though the game did not thrill or excite me enough to want to by the CE. I will, when it comes out, buy the SE. This is definitely I game I want to play all the way through.

Have Fun Y'all

ETA: As Always played on laptop running Windows 7 HP. No tech or downloading issues experienced.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 8:43:10 AM PST

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Jun 23, 11 8:43 AM
Love ERS games! Thanks BFG and ERS I am so happy!

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Jun 23, 11 8:55 AM
I love ERS, but I didn't, in the end, love this game. I bought it, played it to the end, and found it just didn't have the spookiness, interest, and well-developed story line of others. This continues a trend I have noticed in their games-the earlier ones were amazingly complex and well done as far as storyline, but that has gone by the wayside.
The graphics were amazing as always, the music was nice if unexciting. The HOG scenes were fairly easy, the puzzles didn't require a lot of thought for me, and the adventure part of it was easy to figure out as far as where to go, and where found items went.
If I had to sum this game up, I would say markedly uninspired for an ERS game.

Go to: