bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Review for Escape the Emerald Star

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 23, 11 12:44 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Escape the Emerald?
We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 2:07:30 PM PST

Re:Review for Escape the Emerald

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 23, 11 3:17 AM
Thanks CasualGran, for your review, knowing the developers of this game also made, Escape Rosecliff Island and Escape Whisper Valley, I know this is going to be one that I wil enjoy .
Downloading now to check it out, but I have high hopes, that I'll have a great game to play today, thanks for the info .

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Jun 23, 11 3:38 AM
I love these kinds of hidden object games. It's relaxing and refreshing. I anxiously await any game made by these makers.

It seems that each game gets a little trickier with their clues. I spend more time scratching my head and trying to understand what they mean. But, I love it.
I also loved the awards you can earn. It was such fun trying to win them all.

I really enjoyed this game and am glad that Big Fish has offered it!

ChocCherry
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by ChocCherry on Jun 23, 11 6:53 AM
Great graphics, crisp sounds, good games so far, definitely a good buy. Thanks.

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Jun 23, 11 7:02 AM
Great game! This is the kind of game my 84 year old Mom loves! Made her day to see this game today! Thank you ! Great reviews also!

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 7:02:34 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jun 23, 11 7:34 AM
Straight up-and-down hidden-object games just don't get any better than the ones from these folks--this is no exception. Got this one from the developer's site a few days ago--glad to see it's here at today as a soft release.

There's absolutely nothing new or inventive with this one, but that's what makes it so classic! Sound effects are soothing; graphics--primo; hidden objects are crisp, colorful, but sometimes challenging to find (the "word-play" occasionally needs some thought); the end-of-episode puzzles are what we've come to expect, and the final "put-it-all-together" adventure is really good! Once again, two "secret" items per scene (50 in all) to achieve bonus stuff! Spoiler -- Anchors

Relaxed and Timed modes should appeal to just about all gamers. Lots of laid-back enjoyment in between TM and M-3 games, and moody, broody HOGs!

(Hey bfgFlounder--It's "Escape The Emerald Star, not "Escape The Emerald.")

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 4:36:30 AM PST

NanaLoona
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

[Post New]by NanaLoona on Jun 23, 11 8:24 AM
I'm doing the happy dance today!! I almost bought this from the developers site this last weekend, but I'm glad I held off.

Straight HOG with wordplay clues and some interactive clues. Very relaxing game. Soothing music. Similar to other games by the same developer, but that's good news for me. This game has a new feature. You are able to win Achievements for various things like finding 25 of the secret item, 15 perfect searches and finishing a screen in 2 minutes or less. I was worried I wouldn't be able to win the achievement for finishing a screen in 2 minutes but I was awarded that trophy on Level 3, so it isn't impossible.

All in all it is a great game for those of us who like straight HOGs.

Nana

tehi
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by tehi on Jun 23, 11 10:20 AM
Hi everyone

I agree with all of the other reviews:

Very basic straightforward HOG. No gripping story to pull you in...BUT...very good graphics and HOG scenes that remind me of why I fell in love with this type of gaming. The items to find all actually look like they should, although well hidden. No dark backgrounds or teeny tiny objects. The scenes are "junk pile" style and some objects are not proportionate to their size, but when you are searching for a "bullet" (example only) you actually can find a bullet in the scene...not a blob that might sort of resemble one.

At the end of each scene you do a puzzle and it breaks up the monotony of 1 HOG scene after the other. There is also the extra fun of finding bonus objects in each round. (I always search for them first...as the time is ticking and I'm playing in 'timed' mode) and of getting bonus points for finding several items in a row quickly.

All in all, I prefer story related HOG games that grip you and pull you in to find out what happens (related to the plot of the game) but this is a great have on hand HOG game to pass the time. It also has re-play value as you can try and beat your previous score.

For those new to HOG (*hidden object games*) I suggest you try this. It's fun.

Terri

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jun 23, 11 11:04 AM
This is a straight HOG. There is no story or adventure at all. There is also a timer which causes me stress instead of enjoyment. The graphics are clear and the HOG's are not terribly hard to spot. I just didn't enjoy it. It's a quality game from a good developer if you like this sort of thing. I prefer a little wandering around and like a good story to go with it. I won't be buying it.

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 23, 11 1:01 PM
Hi Hydrogibbon, there is also untimed which is the way I play these......enjoy!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jun 23, 11 1:11 PM
The Escape series from [removed by moderator] are among the very best in the straight HOG category. You get many, many hours of gameplay, special bonus items to find to unlock the Unlimited gameplay area, excellant graphics, and a reliable game that won't crash on you.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 2:06:56 PM PST

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Review for Escape the Emerald Star

[Post New]by brookings on Jun 23, 11 2:12 PM
I have 2 other games from spin top like this. I wanted to like this game, but....I found the scenes to be to dark in many cases, the graphics not as clear as they could be, and 1-3 objects so well hidden I had to use the hint. This is a no buy for me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 23, 11 2:56 PM
If you like "straight-forward-hogs", this could be your game. I prefer ihogs at the moment. A definete good thing is the "untimed mode". The graphic is not very good. Happy gaming everyone

darcikirk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by darcikirk on Jun 23, 11 3:03 PM
what are ihogs? How are they different from hogs? thanks!

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 3:04:36 PM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 23, 11 3:09 PM
No buy from me though I agree with everyone these games are very well done. Just not enough for me to buy now. IHOG means interactive hidden object games- a story and a bit of wandering around - as apposed to hog which is simply finding objects.

Kizmit
Clownfish
Clownfish
585 Posts

[Post New]by Kizmit on Jun 23, 11 3:24 PM
This developer is very good at hiding large items right out in plain sight.
It inevitably leads to a 'slap to the forehead' when it finally pops out at you! LOL
I Love these Games!
I think these HOGS are "Fine Swine" indeed!
Kizmit

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Jun 23, 11 5:01 PM
I really enjoy the SpinTop games - the graphics are crisp and colorful, the music is okay, and the entire game is just a relaxing bit of seek and find with some neato little puzzles. It's no Mystery Case Files to be sure, but, if you're looking to relax with a fun game that isn't too taxing, or if you're looking to try your first hidden object game, this would be the one. You can choose a relaxed option as well as a generous hint system...I, for one, just don't like timers. It's fun!

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jun 23, 11 5:05 PM
Fun game! Yep! you guessed it. I a good HOG. Nice grapics, does not have to have a critical story line. . . . . . . like how many times we have found some brother, sister, father, etc. and it's all good. Variety, I am lov'in it!

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Jun 23, 11 9:34 PM
I love this series of games. Lots of replay value and some of the clues make you think outside of the box.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 23, 11 11:05 PM
I really enjoyed this one. It reminds me of the old Mystery Case Files and Mystery P.I. games that my DD and I first started on a few years ago. Since it is the same developer, that might be why

It is a straight HOG which is a nice change sometimes from the interactive HOGs. The minigames are the same as what we have seen for years, but again, they are a nice change from what has been the norm lately. I wasn't able to see how long the game is, but games from this developer are usually really long. I liked the background music and there was a nice mix of easy, medium, and hard to find items. Even the storyline is interesting. Defintiely purchase for me. Thanks BF!

Go to: