bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for The Fall Trilogy Chapter 3: Revelation

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jun 24, 11 12:25 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Fall Trilogy Chapter 3: Revelation? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 3:02:27 PM PST

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

Re:Official Reviews for The Fall Trilogy Chapter 3: Revelation

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jun 24, 11 1:25 AM
Hi, fishies!

It's review time! I might be a touch biased, since I have the first two in the series already, but I will attempt to be honest and fair.

GRAPHICS: 4 out of 5. Mostly photo-realistic. There are a few places where it's very obviously not real life, but the backgrounds are very convincing. The major problem is that it can be rather dark and some of the objects that you have to locate, HOG style, are tricky to find, especially in the 360 degree rooms. (Instead of only one screen to find the missing items, sometimes you must turn to a new place in the room to look for them.) Note: Not all rooms or places are 360 degrees. A minor problem is the brilliance level of the Hint button in the lower right corner. It's so bright, it can be tricky to spot objects hidden near it.

SOUND: 4 out of 5. The music and effects can be turned on or off, up or down. The voice acting is fairly decent, though he can be a little tiresome after a while. The music itself is fitting for the atmosphere.

GAMEPLAY: 4 out of 5. The menu buttons are easily found, though if you have trouble with the puzzles and want to skip them, you must go from normal mode to easy mode, then you can skip. All this is done from a single, brightly glowing button in the bottom right corner. It must refill to use it. The "tutorial" is during play or easily skipped if you are a veteran of The Fall Trilogy series. Skipping the dialogue is also down to a single click of the space bar or mouse. Moving is a point and click method. Easy to use.

FUN FACTOR: 3 out of 5. This is where the bias comes in. I like this series. The puzzles are hard, but since you can skip them, it still makes the game accessible to those who just want to slide through and see the end. I have no idea yet how long the game is, but I do hope it at least comes in at the same size as its predecessors. There are HOG like scenes where you have to locate a certain number of an object or find things on a list. UPDATE: Had to drop a point for it being really short. Puzzles can be maddeningly difficult.

OVERALL: 15 out of 20. Recommended.

Enjoy the adventure, everyone!

UPDATE: Completed the game in just under 2 hours with only 3 hints and one Easy Mode activation. I've had to update the Fun Factor and Overall score to reflect this.

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 11:59:01 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 24, 11 1:31 AM
For those that haven't played the first and second of this triology or pure adventure games -

Don't expect the same kind of "play" as a hidden object adventure game without the hidden objects. There are a lot of similarities and this is a good bridge between both genres so it is a good game to start with.

You wake up in 1886, in a house as a doctor. You then as you go through the house, discover things you have to do and collect. There are a lot of 'find 15 same items' areas. There are not different scenes as a hidden object scene would be, but it is integrated into the areas you are.
You can play this game in 360 or by using arrows, you can go into the menu and change it there. You have a task menu to your left, and if you click on the ? beside it, it will give you clues to your task. The puzzles do have a skip button as well as the option to make it easier.

I think if you like more adventure games in the hidden object genre, but haven't played any pure adventure games, or if you did you didn't like them. I think this is a good game for you to try, not too different. And you don't need to play the other 2 in the trilogy for the story (and the game play is different).

For those that have played the other 2 - You may be disappointed. This has gone more 'generic', mainstream. It seems very straightforward even easy to me. There is a lot of 'find same items' areas. I really liked the first in the series, very complicated (to me) and the puzzles hard. The 2nd one I didn't like so much, but I found that hard. This seems so easy! Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it but it doesn't seem like a sequel to the other games.

edit - see other post for finished review.

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 5:15:11 PM PST

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jun 24, 11 1:44 AM
Good points, gingergal. You're absolutely right. Thank you for posting that.

I should have said that in the time that I played, I also found that it wasn't really as much like the first one as I would have liked. So far, I've only hit a few puzzles (mini-games), two of which were more of a challenge to figure out where to put something that anything else (spoiler: where to string a rope in order to move a shelving unit, then which object to move out of a pile of junk until the pile is gone). Most of the game (so far) is to find a bunch of this or find a bunch of that.

Even so, I really enjoy the graphics and very much want to know how the story ends.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jun 24, 11 3:52 AM
I'm getting so confused lately - and I official enough to post in the "official" review thread?? I'll just have to risk it. And praise the Mods for making a valiant effort in the forums lately.

Like Goofy, I love this series. I especially like the fact that I can actually play them, since the developers were kind enough to give you a CHOICE of whether you play in 360 degree mode (also known as seasick mode to me) or to navigate using arrows. I've missed out on several otherwise excellant games because the 360 panning was locked in, so I truly appreciate this extra effort.

I also appreciate being able to adjust brightness within the game, rather than having to change my computer settings. I'm capable of changing my settings, I just don't like to mess with things if I don't have to. I'm also lazy, and I forget to switch stuff back, so it's refreshing when a game developer put those controls where they belong, within the game itself.

Reading the other threads, I'm a bit worried about the length of this game, but since I will be using a free punchcard reward credit, I certainly can't complain about value for the money.

Overall, this is a great addition to an existing series. Give it a try yourself, and play the first two games in the series if you haven't done so before. The series isn't for everyone, but I think a lot of fishies will be very pleased with this game.

ETA: I forgot to mention that there were a couple of bright white flashes, for those who are sensitive to that kind of thing.

ETA 2 (Update): It does look like this game is considerably shorter than the 2nd one in the series, but if you play the minigames instead of skipping them, you should get a few hours of gameplay. As usual, play the complete demo then compare your progress to the walkthrough to get an idea of how long it will take you. I am guessing I should get about 3 hours based on my progress so far IN EASY MODE. But even if I had to pay full price, I think it would be worth it for me.

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 4:39:11 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 24, 11 4:35 AM
I found this game 'way too short'!! Only a few different areas to play in too! I couldn't play the other 2 on my old laptop, so can't compare trilogys, but if the others like this then I'm grateful I saved my money. I should have waited to see length when walkthrough available, but decided on reading the reviews on the other two chapters it was worth buying.
I really really enjoyed playing this chapter, but was so disappointed tht it ended so soon. Feel I wasted money buying this game!

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Jun 24, 11 4:40 AM
Like most people I was so disappointed at the length of the game and do feel that it could easily have been included at the end of the last one,

The game itself is very good though and certainly not as hard as the other two. Out of the three I liked the first one the best.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 24, 11 5:11 AM
belamba wrote:I found this game 'way too short'!! Only a few different areas to play in too! I couldn't play the other 2 on my old laptop, so can't compare trilogys, but if the others like this then I'm grateful I saved my money. I should have waited to see length when walkthrough available, but decided on reading the reviews on the other two chapters it was worth buying.
I really really enjoyed playing this chapter, but was so disappointed tht it ended so soon. Feel I wasted money buying this game!

I have played the other two, and the first game of this trilogy is superb. I would definitely recommend #1 to anybody. #2 I got bored with (and my pc crashed so didn't finish it). I have dl'd this one to finish the trilogy.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jun 24, 11 5:16 AM
The " two hidden object" games that I played involved finding 20 canes and 20 bars of soap. Three things that I noticed right away:

1) The objects are often small and/or hidden in shadows;

2) The objects aren't all placed at the beginning of the game. As you eliminate some of the objects, others will pop up--sometimes in places that you've already cleared. This is confusing.

3) Even if you click directly on the object, the game doesn't always notice if you've clicked on it. You may have to click in the same general area four or five times to pick up an object.

I then had to try to put a watch together. I'm not good at puzzles that call on me to build machines or clocks. Nevertheless, I tried it--both in regular mode and in easy mode. There was absolutely no difference, from what I could see; easy mode was in no way easier or more helpful. I got nowhere with both modes. So I skipped the watch construction.

Then I had to try to take the patient's pulse. Once again, the game refused to acknowledge that I was clicking on the required area. I had to use a hint to find the precise spot that the game wanted me to click on.

But...fine. At least now I had the patient's pulse, so everything was fine, right? WRONG! I had the patient's pulse...but when I clicked on the diagnosis sheet to record it, I got pulled away from the patient and ordered to repeat the whole thing all over again.

That was the point at which I decided I'd had enough--14 minutes in.

If I had to come up with one word for this game, it would be "maddening."

The game may possibly be fun for someone who is a fan of the two previous games--I don't know how ANYONE could enjoy this, but hey, YMMV--but if you're just a casual gamer who doesn't enjoy being frustrated, this probably isn't going to be your speed.

Don't waste your money or your credits.

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 5:20:30 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 24, 11 5:19 AM
I just played the demo for this and really enjoyed it.
You are given the usual choice of two modes. I played the easier one. I always do until I know what to expect.
The narrator has a very soothing voice and the background music is nice. I found the graphics pleasant.
The hidden object scenes are not the usual. You look for many of the same item. Nice change but on the easy side.
With the mini games you are given a choice again to make them easier. I did for time purposes and think that I would have any way. Some are rather difficult. You are allowed to skip them after a short wait.
I loved the interaction in this game. Such as diagnosing the patient. It makes you feel more a part of it.
I liked the hint system. Click on your task menu and it gives you your tasks and if you choose a task and click on it you are given a clue as to how to complete it.
There are some annoying things. I don't care for a hand showing every time I have found an item I am looking for. This game doesn't do it in every hidden object scene but some. To explain further may get into spoiler territory.
I found the map of little use.
Every time you supposedly have an idea or figure something out there is a bright flash. I see no reason for this but can live with it, although it does give you the feeling you are having a stroke
There are some scenes that everyone will say"Why did they do this?" Such as firewood laying all over the house. My husband knows better!
All in all I found this very entertaining and will be adding it to my list of games to purchase.
First I need to see a walk through and check the length. I never but with out that.
When I but this game I would play on the more difficult mode. In easy there times when it was to simple. Either way it's enjoyable but not up to par with past Fall Trilogies. They were more difficult.
I give it 4 out of 5.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jun 24, 11 6:01 AM
belamba wrote:I found this game 'way too short'!! Only a few different areas to play in too! I couldn't play the other 2 on my old laptop, so can't compare trilogys, but if the others like this then I'm grateful I saved my money. I should have waited to see length when walkthrough available, but decided on reading the reviews on the other two chapters it was worth buying.

I feel exactly the same - except I did have a Bonus credit so didn't actually pay for it.
I enjoyed the game but I was really shocked when I realised that I had reached the end!! It is far too short IMHO. I'm a fairly slow player but got through it in under 2 1/2 hours. Disappointing.

On the positive side, it certainly does make you think hard (puzzles difficult but do have an option for easy version). I think the first chapter was the best of the three but all had good game play and were quite challenging.

[Post New]by Lordshandmaiden on Jun 24, 11 7:16 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:more of a HOPA than it is an iHOG

For those of us who are not "in the know" on all the acronyms, what to heck is a HOPA? Hidden Object......?? iHOG?? interactive hidden object game?
Sorry I am not keeping up with the lingo.
Carol

WinonaCook
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,870 Posts

[Post New]by WinonaCook on Jun 24, 11 7:54 AM
HOPA, I am guessing, hidden object puzzle adventure???

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Jun 24, 11 8:37 AM
Lordshandmaiden wrote:
goofyduck77 wrote:more of a HOPA than it is an iHOG

For those of us who are not "in the know" on all the acronyms, what to heck is a HOPA? Hidden Object......?? iHOG?? interactive hidden object game?
Sorry I am not keeping up with the lingo.
Carol

WinonaCook has HOPA correct. Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

and you got iHOG is Interactive Hidden Object Game

jackryan
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by jackryan on Jun 24, 11 8:55 AM
Sorry, but this was a total rip-off ! I played the demo, bought the full game, and was only 15 mins left ! Not worth the cost at all. A complete let down compared to the others in the series. There was no thought needed, narator gave all hints, it was like having your hand held throughout the whole game. Wish I could get a refund !!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 24, 11 10:01 AM
i was on the way to buy when i saw the walkthrough,and my hour demo ended farther than 1/2 game!so i keep my credit punch card for better occasion;and having to find 15 logs,15 pin,15 ETC.....just boring and a lazy way to finish the trilogy

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 10:02:05 AM PST

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Jun 24, 11 11:07 AM
First off, I won't repeat anything about the game that is good (several people have already done that, and I agree with their assessments). As far as any negatives, they're relatively minor, IMO, and didn't detract, in the least, from my enjoyment of the entire game. The only thing I wished is that I'd played the first 2 games (I didn't and had a couple of confusing moments about "why is it doing that." All made sense at the end, and I may go back and play the first 2 installments).

This game is NOT an HOG; it is a casual, point and click adventure with some object searches in it.

Short? I don't think so, especially since I played the entire game in Hard mode without a walkthrough. The game has plenty of length. How much? I really can't remember, but it was way more than 3 hours, in Hard mode, for damn sure. For those complaining about it only lasting 2 hours or less...I find that nearly impossible to believe unless they skipped ALL the puzzles (and there were some fairly challenging ones, even in Easy mode) and/or played entirely from the walkthrough (figured out nothing on their own; they "solved" puzzles by using one of the 2 published walkthroughs).

Easy? Not even. Again, I played the entire game in Hard mode, without a walkthrough. The puzzles were nicely challenging, for the most part...I just wish there would've been a couple more sliders (my favorite kind of puzzles).

So, those of you who are choosing not to purchase based on "some" saying the game is too short or easy...take that information with a grain of salt, unless you're one who will only play directly from either one of the 2 the walkthroughs and let them tell you how to solve everything. If you do that, the game is sure to be too short and too easy because you will have paid for others to play the game for you (the walkthrough writers).

I rate the game 4 out of 5 stars. One star off for a little too much back and forthing, in certain areas; just a little. I really enjoyed it.

Edited on 06/24/2011 at 11:17:23 AM PST

tishythree
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by tishythree on Jun 24, 11 11:52 AM
well i gave it a good go but sorry
its almost entirely collect multiples of various objects very strange as the firsr two were reasonably decent games and i bought both of them but this is just babyish not for me

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Jun 24, 11 12:08 PM
tishythree wrote:well i gave it a good go but sorry
its almost entirely collect multiples of various objects very strange as the firsr two were reasonably decent games and i bought both of them but this is just babyish not for me
Actually, the game is NOT "almost entirely collect multiples of objects."

It's true that most of the object searches involve multiples of 1 item (I believe the first 2 did, too), but there are some other search types, plus there are a lot of great puzzles and true, point and click, figuring out what to do next mechanics.

I think the game leads you into the more challenging aspects by taking it easy in the beginning (perhaps, too easy, for some); there's lots more to do just a little ways into the game, IMO. Although, it may just not be your cup of joe.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jun 24, 11 12:43 PM
I have the first game in this series, which I enjoyed very much. I didn't like the second one and this one totally bored me. I am way past finding 20 bars of soap in a H0 scene. The graphics were nice, but this game is just not for me. To all who like this game, enjoy. Just my comments and not a review.

Go to: