Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

Reviews for Love Chronicles: The Sword and The Rose

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 2, 11 2:45 AM
Developer: Vendel Games. Options: Sliders for Music and Sound. Tick boxes for Full Screen, Custom Cursor and SNOW. I haven’t used this but if yours is an older PC, you could try clicking this and see if it helps with any game or cursor lag you may experience. Two Modes of Play: Regular - Quicker recharge of Hints/Skips, and active zones are indicated and Expert - Slower recharge of Hints/Skips and Active Zones are not indicated, but ‘Sparkles are present to show H0 scenes. Cursor changes to the usual Eye, Hand, cog wheel to show something must be done. Overclick Penalty: Happens quickly - The Screen and Cursor will 'Freeze' for a few moments Graphics: Beautifully drawn. No Voices but text can be hurried along by clicking on it. And any boxes on screen can be closed by clicking outside them

The Sword and the Rose carries on after The Spell (number one in this ‘series’) but this is different in game play in that this is an IH0G not a FR0G and there is no Map to help you around.

You need to collect 33 Rose petals in order to access the portal to free Rose, and the Rose flower you pick up at the start will do a little dance when you need to use it to unfreeze further petals. H0G scenes are slightly different in that you collect ‘pieces of Machinery’ to build something that will enable you to progress further in the game.

There is a Diary to record your progress, and I would say consult this often. If there is a missing blank space with a question mark this is where something needs to be done, so you may have to ‘back-track’ to do other things in order to move forward. Any information you collect that you need to refer to is also saved in the Diary (Recipes, instructions etc).

* * SPOILER - Hilite to read * *

If you are playing in Expert mode PLEASE pick up everything you can, when you find it, some players of the CE didn’t, and your game can be stopped ‘Dead in it’s tracks’ if you don’t collect something NOW that you need LATER

I purchased the CE of this game, and loved every moment of play.

Edited on 07/02/2011 at 12:05:11 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Re:Reviews for Love Chronicles: The Sword and The Rose

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 2, 11 5:54 AM
I liked the Spell Collector edition of this so I knew i would like this.
Unfortunately it's is an over used story. I witch put a spell on the area and you have to save them. Still it's a great game.
You are offered casual or expert modes. I played expert and was very happy. I turned the custom cursor off because it wanted to float.

You do need to completely search each scene and make sure you pick up anything you can because it will be used later. Every time you pick something up a box comes up to tell you that "you have found". That I could have done with out.It seems that it would be simpler just to have it go directly to inventory and tell you what it is as you scroll over.

You are given a rose at the beginning that you must find petals for along the way There are also the usual hidden object scenes. They are easy enough and very well done. No teeny tiny items to find. The hint recharges quickly. You can also use the hint if you don't know where to go next. It will give you a picture of the area you need to visit.

The mini games are rather original and range from very easy to rather difficult. They may be puzzle type or assembling a device. Nice variety.

I found the music and graphics great. Not the dark scenes that have been coming out in this type of game. I like the dark games but this is a nice change. There are no voice overs. Wish there were. The reading is limited and you can go at your own pace by clicking thru.
I completed about a quarter of the game during the demo so the length should be good.

I am off to buy and play more.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jul 2, 11 7:54 AM
Hello Fishies,

Swimming by to sticky this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you are experiencing technical issues with the game, please refer to our Technical Issues thread LINK.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Thanks!

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Jul 2, 11 9:01 AM
@ kelv....thx so much for the 'insightful' notes ... it is greatly appreciated....i luv my h0g, ih0g,fr0g and h0ag to the 'max'...but sometimes i get flustrated to the 'max'....and put them to bed in purchase history...i have 'the spell' and was biting at my fins until the SE of 'the sword' arrived... the grahics, music o.k., storyline will do and glad not the same as first, mini games interesting...well all in all rate this game as i have the first....

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Jul 2, 11 9:48 AM
Have you noticed how the funs gone out of the forum nobody seems to be talking much lately

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Jul 2, 11 9:48 AM
Have you noticed how the funs gone out of the forum nobody seems to be talking much lately

[Post New]by fairieartist on Jul 2, 11 11:06 AM
Just finished my trial and I'm off to buy, especially with this weekend's sale. Found the graphics a bit grainy, but I suppose that also adds to the difficulty in finding some of the hidden objects. Wish there were voice overs, but music is pleasant. Hoping it gets a bit more difficult as have found some of the puzzles and "things to do" somewhat easy. (I was playing on "expert mode") Looks like I got about 1/3 of the way through on the trial; so doesn't seem to be a very long game.

Yes, I agree...there isn't a lot of "fun" in the reviews forums anymore. Guess it's because some fishies complain about the chit chat and want "reviews" only. Personally, I like the humour and bit of chit chat...as it gives the reviews a bit of personality, makes it interesting and amusing to read and even more insight on peoples views of the game....kind of read between the lines, etc. SO, in my opinion....keep up the great reviews fishies!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 2, 11 12:56 PM
I have bought the CE before a few weeks and liked it very much. I think the first game is better. The second one is also good, but I have missed the "special feeling". If you are a lover from hogs, you should try this game, its a good one.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 2, 11 1:37 PM
stevieferr wrote:Have you noticed how the funs gone out of the forum nobody seems to be talking much lately

I'm having fun; I come to the Game Forums to find out about the games not to chit-chat - I go to the Chit-Chat Corner for that - and I'm enjoying not having to wade through pages and pages of conversational digressions when I'm trying to get the information needed to make a purchase decision. I'm enjoying going through this thread and finding information easily.

If the people who are still in a snit and are currently staying away never return to post in the Game Forums, their places will be taken by others and the posting numbers will increase once again. It's the reality of forums and of nature - both abhor a vacuum. Besides, this is the Fourth of July weekend in the USA, there's a decrease in posting in all forums as people go on vacations, to the beach/pool, and to barbecues.

I have the first game in this series, so I went back and played it a bit, and I do like it, so this game, based on the reviews, will be a "buy" for me.

DarleneO
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by DarleneO on Jul 2, 11 1:55 PM
Hi, all!

Just finished the demo. Did enjoy it very much but, according to the walk-thru, looks like I'm almost half through. Are you finding this game on the shorter side? Ooops! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread...

Edited on 07/02/2011 at 1:56:48 PM PST

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Jul 2, 11 2:29 PM
please bring the laughter and liveliness back to the fish pond.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Jul 2, 11 3:16 PM
Vaguely recalled the CE version demo so I went to look at my comments after playing it. I said:" if you're going to spin the "village captured/frozen/changed into crows by witch/demon/insert your satanic being here" tale, you'd better throw something original into the mix."
Hmmmm.... are we allowed to disagree with ourselves? Maybe it was because it wasn't at CE price but was in fact below retail, I bought this game after 25 minutes of play.
Off to play again!

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 2, 11 5:16 PM
I loved this game, purchased the CE version month ago and would like to said this game is AMAZING! Great sequel (don't quite like the first one), great graphics, good storyline, not too many HOG scenes, cool mini puzzles, fun assemble machines mini game....if you enjoy princess or witch, enjoy dark curses, enjoy fantasy HOG, this is another game i would recommend for you!

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: B
Music: A
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Jul 2, 11 8:48 PM
Bought the game this afternoon and just finished it. Thought it was good except for not very clear instructions on some of the mini-puzzles.Even after looking at the walkthrough still took a bit to figure out a couple of them. The only other complaint is the down arrows trigger too often when near bottom of screen. Great buy for this weekend, (thanks Bigfish) Am off to buy another game.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 4, 11 8:33 PM
This game has everything I look for in an adventure HOG. The graphics are great. The story is engaging and kept my attention. The puzzles are intelligent and varied. The adventure from location to location did not leave me lost and wondering where to go.

The hint system is excellent and the puzzles can be skipped. I did not skip any because they were just my cup of tea. The length of the game was good and I think it is well worth the $6.99 price (althrough I got it on sale at $4.99).

Overall this is a 5 star game for me.

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Jul 5, 11 9:51 AM
Wow! Is this the same game I just played? I found this game just so-so. The story wasn't anything out of the ordinary, graphics were fine...but I did think that some of the hogs were a little "cheaty" (stuff REALLY hidden), some of the puzzles were too easy and the ones that were hard, (2 that I can remember) didn't have a reset button... I got really tired of putting things together...and the rose petal thing was just a bother. Well, I've noted on my "list of Bigfish games"..."good for the grandkids."

gum_nut
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by gum_nut on Jul 7, 11 6:50 PM
Just finished playing this game and loved it,I thought the 'cross stitch mini game'was cute,was a new idea for me,never seen it anywhere else.Hope there is a follow up game.Good gaming to all fishies.

[Post New]by Tennie_Frog on Jul 8, 11 3:16 PM
I just finished this game, and really liked it. I'm always looking for games that will be challenging, but LOGICAL!!! This took me a couple of days to finish, and was worth the money. Enjoyed!

ManuelCalavera
Shark
Shark
12,542 Posts

[Post New]by ManuelCalavera on Jul 8, 11 7:44 PM
This one just didn't live up to the wonderful game play of Vendel games of the past, namely Magic Encyclopedia 1 and 2 (3 was not done by Vendel and it showed) and the first Love Chronicles. Those games were perfect FROGs, beautiful to look at, clever, and were entertaining to replay. I guess Vendel decided to join the crowd and make this sequel dumbed down, muted in color with a more decrepit feel and lose the interesting interplay of fragmented objects for straight hidden object scenes - and throw in some goofy contraptions ala Mishap to boot. A real pity, since their concept was so fun and original that Digital Quarter decided to copy them more than once.

Please, Nikolay, go back to the old format.

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 7:47:06 PM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Jul 10, 11 2:59 PM
Truly a delightful adventure game, with many interactive scenes, lots of interesting puzzles and engaging game play. You may play in “Regular” or “Advanced” mode. Regular mode identifies active areas in scenes and has faster clue recharging. You can set the game to run with or without Snow, advising that older, slower computers should be run without the snow. You can also set music and screen size.

There are a few hidden object screens, but not so many as to convert the game into an interactive hidden object game. There are also a few screens where you find a given number of the same item, but not so many as to become tedious and none of the objects needed are too small or obscured to find.

Overall, a very entertaining game, with good graphics, mood-setting music, no boring dialogue (actually no dialogue…thank goodness) and a very nice variety of places to explore and puzzles to solve. Hints are available to identify and locate objects and/or active areas, and puzzles may be skipped, but I found all solvable with either the clues collected in the notebook, or by logic. A true adventure game, which gave me about 7 hours of game play on “Advanced” mode. I highly recommend this game. One of the better I’ve played in a while.

Go to: