Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

Re:Comments for Golden Trails 2: The Lost Legacy

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 3, 11 1:32 AM
Well, I'm going to give this version a try. I had problems with the CE and just wondering if the same thing will happen with the SE version.

I'll let you ALL know if that happens

Kel

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jul 3, 11 1:35 AM
Ooops, I started one while you were typing CasualGran, just deleted my comments thread

Hi Kel, hope you have more luck with this one.

Hello all! Happy holidays to our US friends.

I played the CE of this and enjoyed it immensly! I did not like the first one in the set at all. The CE had good bonus levels and was long, I do not know what sort of length this one will be...............

Have fun all.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jul 3, 11 1:44 AM
CasualGran wrote:There's a sale going on and what do we get today? The SE of Golden Trails 2: The Lost Legacy. Man! Talking about a disappointing choice! Yesterday's game was a waste of money, to me anyway, today it's the SE of a CE that many of us already have, and what will it be tomorrow? Another SE of a CE? Or another new game of cheap quality?

Sale is nice, really. If... ALL customers would get something worthwile for a reduced price.

Bummer, BF. Missed chance for gaining sympathy.

LOL! Good point well made

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Jul 3, 11 1:52 AM
Gosh! I was delighted to see it. I am one of those who can't afford CEs (yep there are a few low income gamers).

One I've been waiting for and a sale price to boot. Thanks from me anyway BF.

Can't please everyone.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jul 3, 11 2:26 AM
moonlightgrey wrote:Gosh! I was delighted to see it. I am one of those who can't afford CEs (yep there are a few low income gamers).

Can't please everyone.

I also can't afford CEs any more either, but I think the point that the CE buyers are making is that in the last three holiday weekends (two in the US and one abroad) the only new games that were offered were SEs that had already been released as CEs and that many people had already played. In other words, people who paid $13.99 for games were left on long holiday weekends with no new games to play, which is a disincentive to purchase CEs.

I don't think that those who buy CEs begrudge those of us who purchase SEs the
"new" games; I think that they are addressing the problem that BFG is not spreading out the game offerings to give everyone some new games to purchase on long holiday weekends when we have the time to spend on gaming.

This recent BFG practice seems to me like a violation of capitalism 101, which would seem to advocate that, if you want to make money, you should try to satisfy the maximum number of customers--that is, to meet the needs of both those who purchase CEs and those who purchase SEs.

Edited to add that Golden Trails 2 was offered several weeks ago as a CE and has ample reviews on the GT2 CE thread. I apologize to the moderators if my response to another post on this comment thread didn't directly address the content of the game, but the comment didn't either. In terms of content, I frankly didn't much like the game when I played the demo a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't afford to purchase a CE and I'm not interested in purchasing the SE.

Edited on 07/03/2011 at 2:38:49 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jul 3, 11 2:34 AM
Good point Lucy, I did not mean that people should not have their SE's, sorry if it looked like that. I am very pleased that the SE's are coming out at last. BF only seem to have a sale, when they know that all the best games have already been bought. AND NO, they cannot say when the 4th. July is. LOL! It would just be nice to have a choice of new games in a "sale"!
Everyone who has waited. WELL DONE and enjoy the sale.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 3, 11 2:46 AM
Well, I WOULD have loved to have purchased either this game (or the CE) but as BOTH of them don't seem to like Windows 7, I don't know if it's ever going to happen!

I still have the most annoying Screen Flicker that makes both version unplayable on win7! And as I have ALREADY sent in a Dr Felix report for the CE, I really don't feel like repeating the same process for the SE just for NOTHING to happen yet again

Kel

I am downloading (yet again) to my XP PC to see what happens on that one.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jul 3, 11 2:55 AM
That is so odd Kel. I have Win7 and had no problem with the game at all.
It must be some problem other than the OS. Are you sure your DirectX and everything is current? I know that sounds like a pat answer but ???

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Jul 3, 11 3:01 AM
Well if we're going to talk marketing strategy, the whole CE/SE question isn't going to die, and now by bringing out 2 CEs a week Thurs and Sun
--now be gentle here, I had a mild stroke last week and my brain isn't back on all thrusters--

that makes a goodly number of days (somebody else do the math) number of days where BF doesn't bring out a new game at all but just does a repeat.

I'm not griping at BF, since they sell whats there, and as a non-hoggy, I've been quite wallowing in another pen this month and have had plenty to add to my collection during the sale.

But the SE reruns do get boring and I was so thrilled with my own finds, that I honestly didn't notice that all that the sale was dry for you on the other side of the pond. And I apologise.

Just one more comment about marketing strategy--I live totally on SSA/SSI. If I have treat money I have it on the 3rd 4th and maybe the 5th. After that and bills there isn't anything.

Most BF sales come at the end or middle of the month. I can't be the only one who is broke after the SoSec check get divvyed up.

Just a few more thoughts to toss in.

See ya 'round the pond

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 3, 11 3:13 AM
CasualGran wrote:
moonlightgrey wrote:Gosh! I was delighted to see it. I am one of those who can't afford CEs (yep there are a few low income gamers).

Can't please everyone.

Hello Moonlightgrey, I see why you're writing this but you know, I can't afford CE's either, let alone a new game every day. And still I think about it the way I wrote, that a SALE should be really a sale for EVERYONE, meaning a chance to buy something good and new for a reduced price.

Just saying.
I agree with you. It's nice to have a Sale, but I can't buy anything, because I bought the CE.

Hello fishies!

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Jul 3, 11 3:15 AM
I, too, have Windows 7 and have yet to buy or trial a game that doesn`t play properly, whether it be from BFG or elsewhere.

Warrington16
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Warrington16 on Jul 3, 11 3:37 AM
i like that they have a sale that is at the beginning of the month. lots of sales are at the end of the month when i don't have any money. so now i can get some games i've been waiting for

Edited on 07/03/2011 at 3:38:20 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 3, 11 3:53 AM
I wondered how come I don't have the CE, until some fishie mentioned the shootings!!! I hated them!

Won't buy it even as DD...

chicobird
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by chicobird on Jul 3, 11 4:37 AM
Kelvarda

You mention screen flicker. Do you have a laptop doing this?

I also had a problem with screen flicker and come to find out it was wires broken in the hindge of the laptop. Just thought I'd say something.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 3, 11 5:12 AM
chicobird wrote:Kelvarda

You mention screen flicker. Do you have a laptop doing this?

I also had a problem with screen flicker and come to find out it was wires broken in the hindge of the laptop. Just thought I'd say something.

It's a new Pavilion dv6 Notebook (about 1 month old) if anything's 'broken' already somebody (manufacturer) will get it in the neck!

@ shadowfax - DirectX11 installed. And all other updates done regularly.. PC also gets 'regular maintenance' of de-fragging and cleaning up of old files! If this game requires an earlier version of DX it ain't getting it! All my games also go on a 2TB Ext HD, so they don't take up room on the installed HD.

More problems: I've also had to re-start the download as I got the message 'Download Failed!'

All other games (except one) play perfectly well.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 3, 11 5:19 AM
CasualGran wrote:There's a sale going on and what do we get today? The SE of Golden Trails 2: The Lost Legacy. Man! Talking about a disappointing choice! Yesterday's game was a waste of money, to me anyway, today it's the SE of a CE that many of us already have, and what will it be tomorrow? Another SE of a CE? Or another new game of cheap quality?

Sale is nice, really. If... ALL customers would get something worthwile for a reduced price.

Bummer, BF. Missed chance for gaining sympathy.

Hey CasualGran--I get such a kick outta your way with words! But a "fin-slap" to for offering the SE of a CE "that many of us already have"? Maybe a little bit harsh. I think that happens all the time (3 or 4 weeks down the road, usually). I suspect that there are a lot of non-CE gamers who would enjoy the SE of Golden Trails 2--had I not bought it (the CE) from the developer's site the day it came out (at a discount, BTW--couple of bucks more than the BFG price), I'd probably get it (the SE) today for $4.99.

I'm guessing that TM/M-3/LFA/Arcade/Card/Mahjong gamers aren't very happy with any "worthwhile" new choices during the sale, so far, either. The Golden Trails 2 SE obviously won't have some of the CE "bells & whistles" (find at least 150 golden clovers to unlock bonus stuff?), but, for $9.00 less, it's a pretty good deal!

Edited on 07/03/2011 at 5:22:32 AM PST

hookt
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by hookt on Jul 3, 11 5:58 AM
I enjoyed Golden Trails: The New Western Rush, so will be giving this game a try.

I never buy the CE versions, as I don't think I'd get my moneys worth out of them. I'm not really into the wallpaper, soundtrack, concept art, etc. and these extras just take up more room on my computer.

All I really care about is the gameplay and I doubt the CE bonus gameplay would equal the extra money spent. I prefer to take the extra money I would spend on the CE version and put it towards a new or different game.

Maybe BF could try releasing both the CE and SE versions on the same day and just see what happens?

That way, all the fishies are free to choose either version and it's a new game for all the pond.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the sale this weekend!

praireraven
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,707 Posts

[Post New]by praireraven on Jul 3, 11 5:59 AM
the first Golden Trails was a western,,Iplayed this game {which Ienjoyed}
thinking I was going to wind up in the old west ,but no way.
why name it Golden Trails ??????

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 3, 11 6:57 AM
Hello Everyone,

Hey Kel, sorry you're having rough luck with the games. I went ahead and got the CE when it was out. I used the sale to buy two games I had tried out based on a comment of yours from a while back.

It's a great game and I know there were several comments in this thread as well as the review thread complaining that the game offered the exact same extras as the first Golden Trails, but that's not so. In addition to what the first game offered, the CE also offered as they usually do, a bonus game that you play after completing the secret mission. It took me quite a while to complete the game, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how long as it's been a while since I've played.

I'll find something else to play today.

Have Fun Y'all.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Jul 3, 11 7:05 AM
Personally, I don't which is greater ... my delight at being able to buy a Collectors Edition on the day of release; my disappointment (three weeks later) on dashing here first thing on morning and finding said game (in the SE) is 'Tomorrows Game Today'; OR my self-satisfaction that a Collectors Edition I couldn't afford, has been released as a Standard Edition.

It's all roundabouts and swings really.

Go to: