bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Tales of Lagoona: Orphans of the Ocean

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jul 4, 11 12:27 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Tales of Lagoona: Orphans of the Ocean? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Reviews for Tales of Lagoona: Orphans of the Ocean

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 4, 11 12:48 AM
Hi there,
I was given the opportunity to have a final "beta run" of this game and if you are tired of "dark" games, then maybe this one is worth a try.
It has a feeling of Gardenscapes about it, and has lots to do - items to find, achievements to be earned and an orphange to save and restore.
Graphics are crisp and it played on my widescreen monitor without too much distortion.
Not an in-depth review, but a start for those of you wondering about this game.
Cheers

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 4, 11 12:53 AM
Another Straight HOG that i really enjoy! Great graphics, cute characters and storyline and fun gameplay. The game is pretty similar to Gardenscape, Farmscapes but just that this is HOG and those two are Match3. The game is also quite similar to Dream Inn but with clearer graphics and better gameplay (for me). You have to find objects in the selected rooms and sell them, once you get the money you can buy decorations (that you can choose the styles!). There's also puzzle at the end of each levels, you can replay puzzles! There're also wallpapers including in the game as extras so the game pretty worth the price

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: A
Music: B
Puzzle: B
HOG Scenes: A
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jul 4, 11 1:22 AM
This is a really fun, cute game in the same vain as Gardenscapes, you have to save an orphanage from purchase by a wicked fishie

The graphics are crisp & pretty enough; there is the option to have 4:3 screen or the game will play widescreen. You can also de-select the custom cursor, the in game one is a lovely little shell with a point & worked fine for me.

As a room opens you have a H0 scene within which you can find things to sell & gems which are scattered throughout, the more gems you find the more rooms are opened up. You also have to find a very pretty little fish in some scenes for extra points, as you earn points you can upgrade items around the orphanage, there are a choice of 3 styles for each upgrade (like Gardenscape)

There are also quests to find certain items for different fishies who pop along to see you; the objects will come up within a scene & once you have found all you can tick the quest as complete & earn points. By the way if you are short a few gems to open a room you can always buy some more.

There are 47 trophies to collect such as findng a certain number of objects in 30 seconds, opening a room from within a H0 scene, etc.

The mini-games after each level are very easy & there are a very few (not easy to see) sparkles.

There are 20 rooms to explore & I had opened 5 during the demo hour, one of which I played twice, so I assume there are more than 21 levels to play as I don't think only one room would be played more than once.

Although on first impression this game seems really simple there is a lot going on & the objects are not always easy to find. Give it a try, it is definitely worth today's sale price

ETA just to add the hint refills after about 40 seconds & there is a misclick penalty where you get a 'stop' icon on screen for a few seconds & that I was right about the rooms; after two hours I now have 7 rooms open with 13 still to go as I have been back to several rooms more than once. Obviously hours of play for me

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 3:06:06 AM PST

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Jul 4, 11 1:41 AM
I agree with everyone's comments! Fun game that does'nt strain your brain too much!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 4, 11 1:51 AM
this is a very cute game, you are helping to repair an orphanage so that it won't get torn down and in order to protect it you are selling some things that are laying around the house, you also get side quests to do as well and it is just finding certain things for different amounts of money. you collect gems to unlock rooms.

gameplay is very similar to gardenscapes and farmscapes as well as dream inn driftwood, where you make improvements to the property.

graphics are crisp, music is so so. i would say this will be a good long game.

i give this game 4 out of 5

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 4, 11 2:12 AM
This game is completely charming! It reminds me of "Steve the Sheriff". So adorable, and a real delight for a change to the dark games. It's a straight hog with remodeling. The story and character's are so sweet and positive to follow. Widescreen with 2 modes of play. This little gem is definitely a good game to add to your library. It will be a buy for me. It's a must try for sure. Enjoy

I rate this little charmer: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jul 4, 11 3:45 AM
Love this game. Bought it after 20 mins of demo. I also have Gardenscapes and replay it about twice a year. I agree with all favorable comments and at the special price you can't go wrong in purchasing this fun game today. Thanks BFG!

Faylyn

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 4, 11 4:20 AM
Devs: JoinDots. Options: Music, Sound, Ambient Sound, Full Screen, Custom Cursor, Show Tutorial, Mode of Play and 4:3 Screen Ratio. There are no voices, only text to read, but it is nice and clear, and you can speed it up by clicking on it if your a quick reader. The Custom Cursor is a nice little shell with a nice sharp point.

Enter your name after the Intro Screen has finished and choose mode of play. Relaxed or Timed.

There are trophies to collect, and hidden gems to find. Also the bonus of a lovely little Rainbow Fish that swims on screen at times.

You are helping Islabelle the Mermaid save her Orphanage from the Coral Bay Beautification Society run by Bill Barracuda and his henchman Salvator Snipetooth, who wants to build a Mall by condemning your Orphange and tearing it down. You decide to 'sell your treasure' at the Market to raise funds to repair the Orphanage. You also accept Side Quests to help you on your way.

When I first saw 'Bill and his henchman' I was waiting for the Chainsaw to appear (shades of Autumn Leaf here ) and I must admit - I laughed so much I was hooked!

This is a fun, light, nice game, and I surprised myself for liking it so much. You don't really man the stall in the market, it all happens without you being there. The items you find in the H0 scenes are dispatched and sold, and a total is shown in a little box at the bottom of the screen. You get the fun of deciding the 'upgrades' to the orphanage.

Take advantage of this one whilst the Sale is on, I will.

I'd give it 5 x

Kel

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 4, 11 7:04 AM
This is a colourfull game, similar to Gardenscapes. Very charming. You can also choose between timed and untimed mode, thats a big plus for me. For me its a little bit to easy and not interactive enough, but I wish everyone Happy Gaming with this game.

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Jul 4, 11 7:16 AM
Thank you all! I didn't realize so many people enjoyed Gardenscape like I did! Sometimes you just need a relaxing game! I just finally got all gold on Royal Envoy, so after all your great reviews I will try this game. Relax now, play Royal Envoy when it comes out soon!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 4, 11 7:26 AM
Good review Kel .

I would just like to add that this will be a reeeeeally long game to play if you do not use the "Purchase Gems" option because you can only unlock the different rooms by collecting the required number of gems ... at least one of which requires 300 and there are only 5 gems in each room each time you play it.

You do revisit the rooms because of the time it takes to amass enough gems to unlock another one and, sometimes, some of the objects you have to find are ones you have already found but not all.

To unlock the upgrades for your Orphanage you need to find an "Oasis Monthly" catalogue but I didn't notice them in all the rooms.

Each time you upgrade something you are given 3 choices and they all cost the same amount. Not only can you hover your mouse over each of them to see what it would look like but, once bought, YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR MIND at any time and with just a click can alter it to one of the others.

Clicking on the Eye in the top centre of your screen will give you an overview of your property .

There is also a Bonus section with this game ... each room you unlock can be set as your wallpaper so that is a nice little extra for those who like to have their wallpaper set according to the game they are playing.

Even more of a bonus is that you can replay the minigames separately of the game and as you encounter a new one so it gets unlocked in the Puzzles section . There are memory, minesweeper, slider, one like the world mosaic games etc so there really is a good variety .

This game is really excellent value for money but even more so at the sale price .

Cherb

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 4, 11 8:07 AM
Great reviews, y'all. I'm going to add that it's a lovely little game and the hour flew by for me. Yes, there's a lot of dialogue to read, but one can click through it quickly enough. It seems mini games one can skip the mini games/puzzles from the start unless I missed something somewhere. I think that's cool if you don't like or have trouble with certain types of puzzles. I really enjoyed it and will be using punch card credit to buy.

As always I played on my laptop running windows 7 hp 64 bit. I didn't experience any tech issues at all and it downloaded quickly. I use Chrome as my default browser.

Have Fun Y'all.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jul 4, 11 9:05 AM
In my hour I opened 5 rooms, collected 23 gems,two magazines that unlocked,front steps and forgot the other item,plus I did one quest finding two wrenches and I'm working on 3 more quests now.

This is an attractive game,,and fun,and I bought it!

Thank You for a good *Lighter-Themed' H0G BF!

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 9:06:01 AM PST

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jul 4, 11 9:17 AM
I enjoyed this game very much and have used a game credit to buy it. It is uncomplicated without being boring. There is a choice of playing timed or relaxed, hints are unlimited and the background music is pleasant. Of all the mini games I have come across so far I only skipped one,only because I didn't want to take a lot of time to finish it. I did not come across a misclick penalty although I did misclick several times in a row so it doesn't seem to be overly sensitive. The theme is a light happy one that could be played with children so it's a good family game.With all the games out there with dark themes, this is a very welcome find for those of us who like gentler games.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Jul 4, 11 9:30 AM
Based on the Demo, it's a nice game I did skip the puzzle because I wanted to see more af the game before I decided on whether or not to buy it. The graphics are really clear. It's not challenging, which I really like challenging games. However, sometimes it's nice to play a game that's relaxing and not challenging, but still a good game. There's only one NO-NO so far! My greatest pet peeve. If you leave a scene with some items you still need to find, when you go back in, it takes you back 0(zero) items found. I hate that. So you either have to leave at the very beginning of a hidden object scene or wait until you're finished with that scene. Sometimes I need to leave in the middle of a scene and can't wait until I am finished finding the objects.

So saying that, I'll have to think about it since I can get it on sale. today

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 9:33:27 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jul 4, 11 9:54 AM
Not for me. Too much like Gardenscape.

PerfectSecty
Stingray
Stingray
4,983 Posts

[Post New]by PerfectSecty on Jul 4, 11 10:33 AM
A very relaxing and enjoyable game.
I didn't buy Gardenscapes or Farmscapes or Dream Inn: Driftwood. (all similar types of games) Although I enjoyed the demo hour for each of them, I just didn't like them enough to buy them. It was the graphics and humor that put this one over the top for me.

There's a lot going on but, it isn't complicated. Good mini games, side quests, fixing up the orphanage, looking for gems and a fish that will find an object for you.
You can skip or reset a mini game. When you play in timed mode, if you find an item quickly, you get a little bonus money.

The dialogue was making me smile and laugh out loud sometimes.
I just liked everything about it and wanted to keep playing after the demo ended.
You can play timed, which gives you more money and more of a challenge, or totally relax and take your time. It's great to have the choice. Three different styles of decorating also give it some good replayability.
A good game to have when you just want some light-hearted fun.

lynn009
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by lynn009 on Jul 4, 11 10:58 AM
A good game to keep the grandkids out of the way today they play as teams and for $4.99 how can you beat that. Thanks Bigfish

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Jul 4, 11 11:20 AM
Looks like a game for me to try

btw Farmscapes is match3 with some HOG scenes inbetween levels. Gardenscapes is HOG (yard sale style) in both games you get to fix/upgrade a garden or then a farm....

Go to: