Hello from developers!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Hello from developers!

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 3:31 AM
Hello fishes!

My name is Danny and I'm representing the dev team behind Nightmare Realm on the forums. I never posted here before, but i’m a local . I’m following lots of threads on different games hoping to understand what you like in games and what not, and how we can make better games for you!

Just wanted to let you know that we are here, and we are listening to what you are saying!
In case you have any thoughts or ideas on the game, any feedback (both good or bad) please share with us!

Cheers,

Danny

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Hello from developers!

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 4, 11 6:30 AM
Hi Danny, always nice to see one of the developers here.

BBL, I'm going to check the game out.

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 6:34:06 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 4, 11 6:40 AM
Hi Danny,

The only thing that I can say is: This is a wonderful game! I like it very much. From the beginning til the end was great. Never boring.

I hope you make more games like this.

Kudos to you all.

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 7:02 AM
Hello dobbiemijnboekje and snapnhiss!

Thank you for stopping by!

Always a pleasure!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 7:04 AM
And yeah! Happy 4th!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 4, 11 7:55 AM
Ooooh, I'm so excited! I beta tested this a while ago and really enjoyed everything about it but the game froze about 40 minutes in. I had forgotten the name of this and was looking forward to seeing it offered here after some of the problems had been ironed out.

Beautiful artwork, intriguing story, creative game play and it looks like one of the best games so far this year. Big thumbs up.

Going to buy it now, thanks!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 8:29 AM
Hey snapnhiss!
Hope you would enjoy the game!

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 4, 11 8:35 AM
I loved this game, Fantastic story which is very interesting, beautiful scenes, gorgeous fraphics, fun puzzles and cool HOG scenes. The game length is also quite long This game is now one of my all time favorite, hope to see sequel or more HOG from your company soon! I love collecting origami! The only bad points I would make for this game is that there should be voice over, it will make the game more interesting and excited! Also I think there're too many cut scenes at the start of the game but the rest of game is excellent!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 9:20 AM
Hey TeamSD!
Thank you very much for your awesome comment! !!

Speaking about cut scenes – I agree we may have overused those in the beginning of the game a little bit. Our main goal for this title was to try to bring the storytelling aspect to a new level, at first cut scenes seemed like an only way to go, but we’ve learned a lot as we moved further into the development, and recognized that there were other nice ways of conveying the plot and information about different events without overusing the cut scenes.

Voice overs – we are certainly considering using voice overs for our future titles!!!
But these are very tricky. It’s very hard to find the right talent, especially when you are thinking about fantasy themed game like Nightmare Realm with so many different characters. As a player I remember a lot of games where I had to switch off the voice overs, because the character had a completely different voice “in my head”.

Once again thank you very much for your great comment!

Cheers!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 4, 11 9:26 AM
I thought the cut scenes were fine. I like being drawn into the plot which is precisely what happened. Nothing's more annoying for me than being plopped into the middle of a weak story and having no idea what's going on or why I'm doing something.

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 9:39 AM
snapnhiss,

Nothing's more annoying for me than being plopped into the middle of a weak story and having no idea what's going on or why I'm doing something.

Right to the point! I can't agree more!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jul 4, 11 10:39 AM
Dev_Danny wrote:Hey TeamSD!
Voice overs – we are certainly considering using voice overs for our future titles!!!
But these are very tricky. It’s very hard to find the right talent, especially when you are thinking about fantasy themed game like Nightmare Realm with so many different characters. As a player I remember a lot of games where I had to switch off the voice overs, because the character had a completely different voice “in my head”.

Have to agree with you there Danny; I love voiceovers but if the actors aren't talented with just the right timbre for the character it completely ruins the atmosphere. It must be so hard to find someone; and at the right price, after all they don't work for free.

I loved the story although I know some of the gamers here were uncomfortable with the idea of child kidnap but I didn't really read it as quite that sinister, Sometimes H0Gs are just one hidden object scene after another but this felt more like an adventure game. Interaction in a H0 scene is always a plus for me as it adds to the enjoyment. Also enjoyed going back to scenes as it made me appreciate the look of game; it really was beautiful, an interactive map would be nice though so that I could move from one scene to another without quite so much 'walking'

The graphics & the artwork are amongst the best I've seen & I really liked the fact that you put in a little extra.. collecting the origami.

BTW well done for getting BFG to let you play with their logo at the top of the game, it was brilliant

I should say that I have written this based on the hour demo as I rarely buy collectors editions; even though they are not hugely expensive I am on a tight budget. Really looking forward to the standard version as this in on my definite buy list.

Thanks to you & the team that put so much effort in to making Nightmare Realm

ysgol
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by ysgol on Jul 4, 11 11:47 AM
love this game thanks.

sportygal2009
Salmon
Salmon
2,503 Posts

[Post New]by sportygal2009 on Jul 4, 11 12:08 PM
Hello Danny:

I must say it sure is nice to see someone from a game posting as it shows me that you care about what the game players think.

I just came by to post that I really enjoyed this game and got hours of game play out of it. I also tend to be one of the slower game players especially if I find a lot of time/thought was put into the game which I feel was the case here.

I pretty much knew this would be a buy for me right from the get go cause I LOVE the dark/fantasy type of games.

As for the cut scenes I enjoyed them and thought it really added to the game/story.

The only one little downside I found with the game was no voices as others mentioned.

I sure hope to see more games like this one.

You and everyone involved with this game and for bringing the game to the site here just ROCK! Awesome!

Cheers

ETA: I never did find all the origami. so that means I will have to play it again.

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 12:10:04 PM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 4, 11 12:10 PM
Hi Danny - so nice to see a Developer in the Forum. Can I just say I loved this game. Started it again cos I missed TWO Origami.

Pass on my compliments to the Graphic Artists for the quality of this game. Absolutely beautiful - were they influenced by Dali and Rodney Matthews?

Kel

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 1:29 PM
Hi SeaBamboo!

Also enjoyed going back to scenes as it made me appreciate the look of game; it really was beautiful, an interactive map would be nice though so that I could move from one scene to another without quite so much 'walking'

We actually had the map being interactive at some point but had to remove this as some gameplay related isseus came up, which we didn't know how to solve, but we'll see what we can do in our future titles! Thanks for bringing this up!

The graphics & the artwork are amongst the best I've seen

Thank you for this great comment! I will surly pass your words to the artists team (who are all girls by the way, i guess that's why this art turned out to be so colorful, bright and crisp even though the story itself is a bit sppoky)!!!

BTW well done for getting BFG to let you play with their logo at the top of the game, it was brilliant

When the BF guys said that we can do something like this we were really enthusiastic about it! By that time we knew we had something on our hands

I should say that I have written this based on the hour demo as I rarely buy collectors editions; even though they are not hugely expensive I am on a tight budget. Really looking forward to the standard version as this in on my definite buy list.

Well, budgeting is important! I'm very happy to hear that you are planning to give this game a go when the SE goes live! Thank you very much for your kind words, appreciate that a lot!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 1:31 PM
ysgol, thank you very much!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 1:50 PM
Hello sportygal2009!

I must say it sure is nice to see someone from a game posting as it shows me that you care about what the game players think.

To be honest, after spending so much time working on the game on the daily basis I LUST to hear what people think of the game! The whole team put a little piece of their heart and soul into that game and we all want you to enjoy playing it as we enjoyed making it! The first day after the game's release all we've been doing we've been monitorring the forums refreshing the page every 5 seconds and reading aloud every new comment to each other. With every good comment we yelled "Hooray! They like it! They really like it! We actually made something good!" Every bad comment was like "Oh no! How did we miss that! This is so obvious! Oh no... they are going to hate us!"

So... this first day was very thrilling but very nervous

I just came by to post that I really enjoyed this game and got hours of game play out of it.

Thank you so much!

You and everyone involved with this game and for bringing the game to the site here just ROCK! Awesome!

*bows*

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 1:55 PM
Hi Kel!

Thank you very much for telling us that you liked the game! We are really happy you enjoyed it!!!

Pass on my compliments to the Graphic Artists for the quality of this game. Absolutely beautiful - were they influenced by Dali and Rodney Matthews?

I'm afraid I can't answer this question right now, but I will ask the artists tomorrow, I bet they have something to say! Stay tuned i'll post their answer as soon as I have it!

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 4, 11 1:59 PM
Yeiks! I'm a Jellyfish now!

Go to: