bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Crop Busters

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jul 5, 11 12:34 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Crop Busters? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Crop Busters

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 5, 11 1:44 AM
The game is very similar to Farmscapes, Gardenscapes and also similar to yesterday's Tales of Lagoona but that one is HOG this one is Match3! When the dev decided to make the best selling TM series Farm Frenzy into Match3, its a great idea. The graphics are colorful as usual, there're many helpers and bonuses but i think when you swap the tiles you have to wait for a while before you can swap the next set of tiles, quite annoying. Because i'm not Match3 fans and also the game is repetitive and annoying so i will pass this one off!

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: C
Music: B
Bonuses: B
Gameplay: C
Overall: C

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 5, 11 1:53 AM
Devs: Melesta Games/Alawar. Options: Sound, Music and Full Screen. I don't think there is a timer, I'm not the quickest M3 player, but I finished all the levels I played with no rush or hurry.

Gameplay: Upgrade your Farm by buying various Farm Animals, Sheds, Crops etc. You start off with the basic game play of any M3 game. There are 'Locks' on the board area, make a match next to them to break the Lock and show more of the Board. The tiles can be matched whilst the rest of the board is dropping.

There are 'Brown Boxes' to be matched on, break the boxes to proceed to the next level. You get little 'Trucks' which when dropped to the bottom of the board, you fill up by matching the produce on the truck to get extra money. Also 'Gold Bars' to drop to the bottom to earn extra cash.

In time the brown boxes turn to Metal ones - so you have to double match to break these. You get Power Ups for matching 4/5/6 tiles in a row (Bombs, Lightening Rods etc). Also 'Power Ups' The Chicken will break any tile on the Board (Level 2 will break 2 Tiles on the board), And the Bee Power up will Shuffle the Board if you run out of matches.

You don't have any option of where to place your Hen House, your Cow Shed, or even your dog kennel. It's all laid out for you. I did get to choose which Cat or Dog I wanted to buy, but for the Hen House, Cow Shed etc, there is no choice. After My hour was up I had upgraded to Level 2 Hen House, but it was getting a little bit boring.

All in all, it's a Match 3 game, there's nothing really special about it and it just didn't 'grab me' enough to want to rush to buy. It would however be a very pleasant little game for children.

Kel

Edited on 07/05/2011 at 1:58:20 AM PST

duchesse67
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by duchesse67 on Jul 5, 11 2:20 AM
Love it just as much as Gardenscapes and Farmscapes. Its a bit different and if you like to build the farm??

txtabby
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by txtabby on Jul 5, 11 5:39 AM
Yes this is a match 3 and it's great. You make matches to break locks which opens more of the game board this is on top of dropping trucks and gold off the board. You get to fix up a farm and I like it there's no choice in decoration, you just pick it and up it goes so you can get to the next board. I really like the chicken power up which is like a hammer but a lot cuter. Just a nice relaxing game that's not going to warp your brain cells, thank you alawar.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Jul 5, 11 7:39 AM
Very simple game that would be great for a child or someone who doesn't want any challenge in a game whatsoever. This reminds me of some of the early M3 games, no glitz or glitter. Cute concept of building your farm. Hmmm, there was a game a while back that had the same concept, excepting it was a little more involved. Don't remember the name, but remembered it took forever, FOREVER, to go from the farm to the M3 board. This one doesn't have that problem. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give this one a 2. It's just too simple and no challenge whatsoever for anyone over the age of 10.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 5, 11 8:31 AM
from the minds that brought us the crazy antics of farm frenzy comes a M3 that qualifies as one of the most lackluster games i've played this year

similar to farmscape - except you don't have people passing by making cute little comments, except you don't have a choice about what kind of look your "farm" should have, except it's more like an industrial complex than a farm, except for the real lack of fun and imagination...

this M3 is slow and easy... the boards change up a little, but the method is the same... make matches over tiles to clear the board... there a couple of extras, wherein they add shipping trucks to drop to the bottom of the screen and fill them with goods to sell or gold bars to drop down to put money in your pocket... there are no mini-games or quirky letters or any other distractions - this IS match-3 [period]

with no timer and no worries if you clear all the tiles before the trucks fill up, there is little to drive you crazy in this game until you get further into it and have rows/columns/both filled with chained steel boxes... now, the steel box is the upgrade from the wooden one, so it takes two matches to clear... then each chain is another match... that's when you really start to appreciate that there is no timer

according to the progress bar at the bottom of the congrats screen, i made it a quarter of the way through the game by the time my demo was up... with all the difficulties i had - my hand brace makes it difficult to click just right sometimes, and in this game that meant that i had to stare at the screen while pieces randomly swapped themselves back and forth again and again before i was able to make another match - i'm surprised that i made it that far... and like i said, it's more like an industrial complex that you're building... a bakery, a sweet shop, a yarn factory, and a weaver's shack... the chickens and cows must love all that noise!

in the end, i just wasn't happy with this game... it didn't have enough of 'the stuff' to hook me in... and since i already have the best game for exactly this kind of fun... i will be passing on it in a big way...

happy busting!

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 5, 11 8:39 AM
I've been waiting for a really good match 3, but this isn't it. As others have said, it's very similar to Farmscapes, but it doesn't have what the other game has, namely the ability to choose what your upgrades look like. You get to choose the look of your cat and your dog, but that's about it. I've been playing match-3 games for a long time, and so maybe I'm a bit jaded, but in my honest opinion there's nothing in this game that makes me want to buy. It's definitely one of the easier match-3's I've played. I didn't need to use any of the power ups I was given after purchasing the hen house and apiary.

It's a light game and while it started out being fun to play I kept comparing it to the other game which I have and thoroughly enjoy replaying from time to time. I have no complaint about graphics or music. The game ran problem free the full hour and as always I play on my laptop running windows 7 hp 64bit. I'm sure there are those who will enjoy the game, just not me.

Have Fun Y'all

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 5, 11 9:24 AM
I agree, this game is similar to Farmscapes. But it liked Farmscapes much more. I miss the charme and beautiful gameplay in this game. No buy yet, buy surely if we have the next deal or if its become avaiable on day as a Daily Deal.

CirceMoon
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by CirceMoon on Jul 5, 11 9:48 AM
I'm really disappointed in this game. I would love another game like Simplz Zoo, where you get to fully customize the things you build and there is strategy in planning what to build and when to build it. Crop Busters doesn't even come close. As others have said, you have very little choice or control, and the game is just too easy and repetitive. Does anyone know of a match-3 game that is similar to Simplz Zoo? I have played that one so many times it's ridiculous. I would really appreciate any recommendations!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 5, 11 11:57 AM
I've played about half of the game, and it does get harder, but not that much. It's a cute game, and I actually like the fact that building the farm is a quick process. The bear powerup is a lot of fun, and I like unlocking the board and dropping the trucks.

The description says you must fill the truck before time runs out, but I have seen no timer.

There are 100 levels, and in the higher ones there are chains and double chains. Might be something worse in the second half.

No, it won't be my favorite match-3 ever, but it's not boring.

sstevens
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by sstevens on Jul 5, 11 12:48 PM
GRRRRR!

I feel robbed! I saw the picture of Scarlett and thought "YEAH! A new Farm Frenzy game!"

But, it's a match 3 game and I hate match three games.

At least I still have some goals to achieve in YoudaFarmer3.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 5, 11 2:14 PM
ecblisa wrote:I've played about half of the game, and it does get harder, but not that much. It's a cute game, and I actually like the fact that building the farm is a quick process. The bear powerup is a lot of fun, and I like unlocking the board and dropping the trucks.

The description says you must fill the truck before time runs out, but I have seen no timer.

There are 100 levels, and in the higher ones there are chains and double chains. Might be something worse in the second half.

No, it won't be my favorite match-3 ever, but it's not boring.

For me, there are only 2 good features in this game: the bear power-up (very entertaining when you first see it) and the unlock feature (unlocks more puzzle area).
Unfortunately, I bought it.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jul 5, 11 4:24 PM
sstevens wrote:GRRRRR! I feel robbed! I saw the picture of Scarlett and thought "YEAH! A new Farm Frenzy game!".

If you purchased the game by mistake, you could click on the at the right and request a different game. Big Fish has the best customer service!

Edited on 07/05/2011 at 4:25:18 PM PST

zbox12
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by zbox12 on Jul 5, 11 7:10 PM
I'm a big FF fan and also M3 but I don't like the mix. I played through the demo. If it is ever a DD then I'll probably buy it but not until then. My trouble is that it respnds slowly and can get frustrating.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 5, 11 8:40 PM
It had look promising before I've tried the demo out. The match 3 graphics looks great but the farm itself doesn't. Farmscape is much better game than this one.

I've to agree, Farm Frenzy and M3 doesn't mix well together.

I'll be passing this game. No buy.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jul 6, 11 1:59 AM
It's a plain and simple little M3 game. It was fun to play though, fairly easy and fun. I would rate it a 7 out of 10.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Jul 6, 11 10:01 AM
This is a cute little game but I don't like it as well as Gardenscapes and Farmscapes. Those both had entertaining characters, quirky comments, choices to purchase and opportunities to interact with the environment. This game is pretty straight forward and simple, at least as far as I got. I did like having to open the locks to change the game board. And I enjoy games where I have to drop items off the bottom and accumulate specified goods. It was fun listening for the "toot toot" of the truck as it drove up. I might consider it as a DD, but until then I'll pass. I have other M3 games that I like so well that I'd rather replay those than settle for just an average new game like Crop Busters.

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Jul 6, 11 4:41 PM
My review after 1 hour demo:

Level: Easy

Playability: Fair - no major glitches but levels load slow like most of the games by this maker. Also cannot click off a piece if you mistakenly click it. You have to click somewhere else on the board then go back - annoying!

Likes: Can't think of too many. I do like M3 games where you get upgrades and get to purchase things (build a farm, for instance). Not a lot of flexibility here, though. You do get to chose what dog or cat you get - don't know if you can change your mind later.

Dislikes: Where to start? First of all, not much in the way of a tutorial - some hints on how to use power-ups would have been nice. Bombs earned for 4-matches were basically useless - all they do is clear out tiles in a very small area. You don't get power-ups for chain-reaction multi-matches, just the ones you make yourself with the cursor. Special power-ups were few and far between and the two I earned (chicken and bees) weren't very helpful, not that I needed them - the game is so easy. There doesn't seem to be a timer, therefore, no time bonuses for finishing quickly. No challenge in that In later levels, you have to play many levels before you get enough money to buy stuff for your farm. You have no choice where to put things in your farm.

Will I buy it? Only if I'm having an incurable bout of insomnia They should stick to the Farm Frenzy TM games or play a few more challenging M3 games before trying to design one.

sstevens
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by sstevens on Jul 8, 11 4:52 PM
MarkAlan wrote:
sstevens wrote:GRRRRR! I feel robbed! I saw the picture of Scarlett and thought "YEAH! A new Farm Frenzy game!".

If you purchased the game by mistake, you could click on the at the right and request a different game. Big Fish has the best customer service!

You're right, BF does have excellent customer service.

I didn't buy it though. I felt robbed in the emotional sense. I was happy as a clam thinking it was a new FF game.

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 4:53:29 PM PST

Go to: