bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Silent Evil: Kate's Rescue

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 7, 11 1:29 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Silent Evil: Kate's Rescue?
We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 07/07/2011 at 5:30:38 PM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Review for Silent Evil: Kate's Rescue

[Post New]by sinshack on Jul 7, 11 2:23 AM
I kind of did a Review in the Comments thread (sorry, it's after 5:00 a.m. here, and I haven't been to bed yet.)

This is a game that you need to try for yourself, and give it at least half the demo time. The gameplay is very different, and changes slightly as you progress in the game.

On my desktop, it filled the entire screen. There is minimal instruction, and the graphics can be dark - especially in the Hidden Object screens. It does have an interesting storyline and unusual puzzles, but I found myself getting easily confused about what I was supposed to be doing several times during the trial.

Different and interesting - but certainly not for everyone. I'm going to hold off buying for now, but I know I will eventually buy it. Try it yourself.

Mauvina
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Mauvina on Jul 7, 11 2:38 AM
Again another game with a very bad english translation. Graphics are poor and dark. Almost no instruction. Difficult to navigate. There have to be better games being developed out there.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 7, 11 2:53 AM
This game gives me the impression that they are a new developer, sorry missed the name, and I will try and be kind in a bid to encourage them.

The graphics in this game are a real mix and I think they picked the three best scenes for the screenshots. If all the scenes were as clear as those the game would be better. Some of the others, especially the outside ones, are really dark and fuzzy and it is a job to see some of the objects you are looking for.

There was also an inside scene where you had to find an object and it was dark brown on top of dark brown (I thought I was looking for a rolling pin as that was my interpretation of the clue but I was wrong ) and I couldn't see it at all even with the hint circling it. There were also a couple of other objects that I was unsure of as to what they wanted me to find, thank goodness for hints. The hint button is the bloody hand and it recharged but I am not sure whether it will recharge all the time or just the amount of times that I was told I had found a hint in the first few scenes .

I found the story a bit confusing and the game a bit disjointed one minute I am inside in a nice bright corridor facing a door with a combination lock on it and I am expecting to use the code I had just found on it but one click was all it took for me to find myself outside in the fuzzy dark again looking for scraps of paper.

Following that there is a letter puzzle where you just find the right coloured letter to spell out a name and there is a mistake in this puzzle as they have the colour wrong for the letter O but if you click on the grey one it will accept that and you can continue.

There is a spot the difference but only 7? to find and they were all items that had been added, not altered which made it less painful to do.

My favourite minigame was the jigsaw type one , I really enjoyed those as they were different to the norm and I discovered that if you know what the next piece should be just click it and it will insert it and thus I whizzed through some areas of those .

A valiant first attempt devs but I can't see myself buying this game unless it is on sale or as a DD due to the areas of dark fuzziness.

Cherb

ETA

Highlight the gaps to read the spoiler bits.

Edited on 07/07/2011 at 2:53:55 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 7, 11 3:22 AM
Another bad IHOG with some kind of confusing English! Graphics are just OK, HOG scenes are too hard, difficult to find stuffs, story is quite good actually but overall i didn't enjoy the game.

Grades:

Graphics: C
Music: B
Story: B
Puzzle: C
HOG Scenes: D
Gameplay: D
Overall: D

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Jul 7, 11 3:58 AM
What an annoying game! I played the whole Demo, and it just got worse. Way too many STDs and Junkpile H0 find several of same item scenes. Really dark graphics and no flow to gameplay. I didn't even like the tile puzzles. I love Jigsaws, but not when they tell you the next piece to select every time. I wouldn't buy this as a DD or Catch of the Week, not even to fill a Punchcard. Yuck.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jul 7, 11 4:15 AM
I’m a lover of a good story. This story sounds intriguing enough but, the only thing I know so far, is that I have received 2 distress calls from Kate. That’s not a lot of information to help me decide on the story.

I loved the spooky voice. Music and sound effects were good but, did get a little annoying when repeated too often.

The H0 scenes were very murky for me. My eyes were definitely straining in some scenes that were way too dark and required hunting for nearly impossible to see items. I will need a lot more hints to get through the game and that takes away some pleasure for me. I like to at least feel that I have a chance of finding it myself.

I liked the way the items animated after you clicked on them but, it was a bit sluggish waiting for it's execution. Oddly enough, the item collected from the scenes sometimes wasn’t even one from the list. I ended up asking myself, “Am I on an adventure finding these clues or is the game just showing them to me?”

Action elements from inventory items were not played as usual, either. You merely have to click on the task and it automatically takes them and completes it. I prefer to feel involved in the adventure more by having to think, select and take the action myself.

The Mini Game/Puzzle instructions, as written, were a little confusing to me. These consisted of assembling puzzles by clicking on the next piece and waiting for the game to add it. So here again, I felt less involved as I was not able to move the pieces into place, myself. It even tells you what the next piece looks like if you fall behind so, I will call these Spot the Similarities puzzles. There are also some Spot the Differences puzzles. Every game that I came across in the demo was basically match this exact or see what doesn’t match. I would have liked more variety.

Despite saying all of that, I do feel that it’s a good game idea with possibly a good story. The design of the game play itself, managed to deplete nearly all of the fun out of it for me, though because it made me feel like more of a spectator than a participant. Still, it is playable and if the reviews on the story are good, I will add it to my DD list.

Edited on 07/11/2011 at 8:28:25 PM PST

mdcrab13
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by mdcrab13 on Jul 7, 11 5:45 AM
what a stupid stupid game! What are you guys doing. really seems like you are grasping for straws! Get with it!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 7, 11 7:13 AM
This is a really bad game. The graphic is bad, very fuzzy, gameplay is bad, navigation isn`t good. A definete "no buy" for me

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Jul 7, 11 8:07 AM
Don't bother, its very bad.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jul 7, 11 9:40 AM
I just did not care for this game (or the part I played in the demo). Some scenes so very dark, easy puzzles (see no reason at all for the "jigsaw" type puzzles - if you don't select the correct piece soon enough the game shows it to you), everything lights up in red to show you what to do, inventory items you need are immediately put into the correct place once you click.... Sorry, just not for me.

bigpescador
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by bigpescador on Jul 7, 11 9:53 AM
CasualGran wrote:
To begin with the 'devs' seem to have copied the characters from another game, and use these faces here and there as to make us think this is a good game, which is all but the case.

Respect! Talk about the game.

The Characters are not from other game, They are from DAZ studio.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 7, 11 11:17 AM
Lasted 3 minutes. Hated the graphics/font/audio. Horrible.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jul 7, 11 12:50 PM
Hello folks,

Just popping by to get things back on track with Reviews for the game. If you would like to have a one-on-one conversation with another user, please feel free to PM that user. If you have any issues about a post, please PM a Moderator.

We encourage everyone to share their thoughts about the game and ask that all users please follow our #1 Forum Rule:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish Games employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Thank you.

-bfgArnoStyx

vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Jul 7, 11 1:13 PM
cherbtoo wrote:This game gives me the impression that they are a new developer, sorry missed the name, and I will try and be kind in a bid to encourage them.

The graphics in this game are a real mix and I think they picked the three best scenes for the screenshots. If all the scenes were as clear as those the game would be better. Some of the others, especially the outside ones, are really dark and fuzzy and it is a job to see some of the objects you are looking for.

There was also an inside scene where you had to find an object and it was dark brown on top of dark brown (I thought I was looking for a rolling pin as that was my interpretation of the clue but I was wrong ) and I couldn't see it at all even with the hint circling it. There were also a couple of other objects that I was unsure of as to what they wanted me to find, thank goodness for hints. The hint button is the bloody hand and it recharged but I am not sure whether it will recharge all the time or just the amount of times that I was told I had found a hint in the first few scenes .

I found the story a bit confusing and the game a bit disjointed one minute I am inside in a nice bright corridor facing a door with a combination lock on it and I am expecting to use the code I had just found on it but one click was all it took for me to find myself outside in the fuzzy dark again looking for scraps of paper.

Following that there is a letter puzzle where you just find the right coloured letter to spell out a name and there is a mistake in this puzzle as they have the colour wrong for the letter O but if you click on the grey one it will accept that and you can continue.

There is a spot the difference but only 7? to find and they were all items that had been added, not altered which made it less painful to do.

My favourite minigame was the jigsaw type one , I really enjoyed those as they were different to the norm and I discovered that if you know what the next piece should be just click it and it will insert it and thus I whizzed through some areas of those .

A valiant first attempt devs but I can't see myself buying this game unless it is on sale or as a DD due to the areas of dark fuzziness.

Cherb

ETA

Highlight the gaps to read the spoiler bits.

I so agree with your review.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 7, 11 1:56 PM
Not even as a DD. Poor graphics and even worse game play. Not worth a coupon

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jul 7, 11 3:51 PM
This game needs a lot of tweaking. I played it over twice and still was lost as to what was expected of the player to do. I clicked on the hints and nothing happen. A picture would pop up and note that you had the right hint and that was that - nothing . . . . . . Going to try it again, thrice and if nothing happens, I am threw.

Well, I tried to play the game with a different profile. Followed the "How to play the game" HOG 101 instructions and nothing happens, you cannot interact with the game, nothing moves, except locating the key and opening the room. I am finished. Will check back for an update of this game. Bye . . . . . :

Edited on 07/07/2011 at 4:12:10 PM PST

BlueLena
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by BlueLena on Jul 7, 11 4:26 PM
Oh Dear, ! "Played for 4 minutes, truly awfull.

bigpescador
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by bigpescador on Jul 7, 11 5:18 PM
KimiKanda wrote: This game needs a lot of tweaking. I played it over twice and still was lost as to what was expected of the player to do. I clicked on the hints and nothing happen. A picture would pop up and note that you had the right hint and that was that - nothing . . . . . . Going to try it again, thrice and if nothing happens, I am threw.

Well, I tried to play the game with a different profile. Followed the "How to play the game" HOG 101 instructions and nothing happens, you cannot interact with the game, nothing moves, except locating the key and opening the room. I am finished. Will check back for an update of this game. Bye . . . . . :

Hi, this game gives you a chance to think, use your imagination...

SPOILER
In the room, turn on the lights, click at the pictures, think... the combination is 1920.
Find the red highlighted parts, go to the safe area, click at the safe and use the password 1920, get the key....

END SPOILER

Edited on 07/07/2011 at 5:22:43 PM PST

mplskate
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Reviews for Silent Evil: Kate's Rescue

[Post New]by mplskate on Jul 7, 11 8:36 PM
Sorry but this set a new record time for me. 2 minutes into the demo and I had to exit. Even the tutorial/orientation would be confusing for a new game player. I respectfully suggest the developers spend a little more time with games that have stronger support on here to find out what makes them special.

Go to: