Nightowl33
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

What's your fav strategy?

[Post New]by Nightowl33 on Jul 7, 11 3:33 PM
I like the wild lore, stun, and double-spins, Also like the badger for the rabid bites that can ping away at your opponent.

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:What's your fav strategy?

[Post New]by peutetre on Jul 14, 11 5:42 PM
I like Fleet of Foot, Wild Fire, Provoke, Plague, Dark Knight filling in with Backstab and weapons that will work in that area (like ice weapons when they are fire based creatures)

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: What's your fav strategy?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 14, 12 9:14 PM
See also in this forum (so Moderator, leave these links alone!):
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/196484.page#3998170 , "Giant Octopus" and
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/171591.page#3368249 , "clockwork man mark II"

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Jul 4, 14 12:52 PM
I've found this setup so useful, winning the game is too easy:
(This is for level 25)
Spells:
Plague
Blizzard
Fleet of Foot
Attacks:
Revenant
Sword of the Apocalypse
Sunder
Rapid Strike

Runes:
Cheagle rune
Ice Mage
Ice Wizard
Ice Arch Wizard
Rune of the Warlord
(The ice runes add 30% to your ice damage, extremely helpful with blizzard, the Warlord rune adds 15% stab damage, useful with sunder.)

Symbol: Ent
Ally: Bleninja

The cheagle rune lets you use fleet of foot right away. Then you can usually get revenant by the 2nd turn. The 3 ice wizard runes allow over the top max damage with your blizzard spell.
Use plague, then save up until you can get sword of apocalypse and blizzard back to back. You can then do around 130 damage with those.
Use Rapid Strike as needed to shut the bad guy down, and Sunder if you cant get the apocalypse/blizzard thing going, or use sunder with apocalypse in effect.

The ent stuns way better than the phantom, bleninja does decent damage as it is, with apocalypse, it's way better.

Believe me, this is a winning set up!

Edited on 07/04/2014 at 12:55:51 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Dec 25, 14 9:03 AM
I don't see the point of Sword of the Apocalypse. It's the one that costs 125 AP* and reduces enemy resistance by 99% for all of 4 spins. And then you have to have an attack ready to use. [EDIT: See partial rethink in post after next.]

Backstab costs 90 AP and reduces resistance to 0% all by itself! I've never had a game yet where it didn't show up by the time I was high enough level to use it--I think level 20 at the highest, but certainly long before the Level 24 required for the apocalyptic sword. And if you've got the Runes of the Warlord and/or Warrior--+15% and +10% Stab damage each--you do more than the baseline 26 damage. (Or the Rune of the Fighter's +5% until it's crowded out by Ease*, Extreme Luck, the cheagle's Readiness rune, Good Luck, and/or Luck.)

I recently discovered that if you don't have the Stab enhancers, the Blunt-enhancing Runes, of Basher, Smasher, and Crusher (+5%, +10%, +15%), increase Spudbucket's effectiveness by a point or more per hit.

Poison, which you can buy at Wind's Shelter, also always ignores resistance, and has the great advantage of costing only 50 MP to do 25 damage. The only spell that's an even slightly better buy is Plague, at 125 MP for 65 damage, which I've also always picked up before it was available for use at level 20.

Yes, both Plague and Poison spread their damage out over the next 5 turns.That's rarely a problem. Most of the time I don't spin enough MP or AP above their requirements to leave me antsy. And when I do, I've got the wondrous Flame Dagger (see my post at http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/221258.page), some offensive spell that costs no more MP than a single successful spin provides (unless I'm still holding on to Cleansing; see below), and another that costs fewer AP than Backstab does, preferably each taking advantage of some vulnerability (negative resistance) that's frequent in the current foes and/or of a Wizard rune.

And almost always Electrocute, 35 MP for 14 Magic, rarely resisted.

I never sprinkle Wilds. When they don't end up in totally useless positions, they're likely to give me XP or $ I don't need to survive.
---------------------------
* All prices before 5% reduction by Rune of Ease, which often makes the difference between available now and spin again.

Edited on 05/03/2015 at 12:48:44 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Dec 25, 14 9:34 AM
Dropping back to early on, let me mention that until I reach high enough level not to worry, I keep Cleansing on hand and save a reserve of 20 points for it against nasty stuff like disease, long reel paralyses, just about anything containing the phrase "for the rest of the battle", etc.

Now let's talk about Symbols.

As soon as possible, I replace the gold-grubbing Ferret symbol with the Phantasm, which stops the foe spinning for 1, occasionally 2, or rarely 5 of my spins--a slightly weaker version of the Ent that zulx likes, which stops 1/3/8), or the Fawn, which cuts all costs by half for the same intervals, depending which shows up. (I've gone whole games with only one and not the other.) The latter is fun, but often not much use; like the Wilds placement, you can't control its timing. And I'd rather damage the foe than stop them spinning, when half their successful spins merely produce XP or $ that doesn't help them and I'll pick up at the end!

I've tried adding a blocker with the Fairy queen, but it suffers from the same randomness, as does the Zombie's 50% increase in resistances for 2/6/14 spins. Stealing AP (Ghoul) or MP (Dryad) is fine except there's often little or nothing to steal--certainly not always the 5-symbol max of 65 AP or 50 MP.

So as soon as possible, I slot in something that does damage. In order of strength and therefore preference:

* Death Knight, -12/24/60 Magic--also the element least likely to be resisted
* Earth Elemental, -9/17/45 Blunt
* Centaur, -7/14/36 Blunt
* Fire Mephit, -6/12/30 Fire--up in the north of the board with Fire vulnerability, sometimes better than the Centaur but not usually better than the Elemental, who rarely runs into more than 25% resistance and often none
* Ice Mephit, -4/10/20 Cold--similar for warmer climates; with enough 50% resistances to cold, inferior to Badger
* Badger, -1x3/2x4/4x5 damage--bypasses resistance
* Skeleton, -2/6/15 Stab--tho I've not yet had it before getting something better

The Unicorn, which grants +6/14/35 Health, isn't bad. But again, it'll show up when you don't need it and lie doggo when you do. Whereas the only time extra damage isn't useful is when you're still plenty healthy yourself and just mopping up the foe.

On the same principle, whenever I don't need somebody else for a particular task I travel with Spudbucket--particularly useful against all those Blunt-vulnerable skeletons--until Bleninja arrives.

Edited on 05/02/2015 at 3:52:21 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Dec 25, 14 9:52 AM
Admittedly, if the Sword of the Apocalypse's application happens to coincide with your ally's attack or when you're getting automatic damage from spinning AP points, that's a definite bonus. But I still don't think it's worth anything like 125 AP for only 4 spins at a time.

Regarding automatic damage that shows up in the Slotsmith view as just "dmg", here's something I didn't notice my first half-dozen times thru: Those numbers are resisted by Blunt or Stab/Pierce resistance just as spells are, with a minimum of 1 always getting thru. Which resistance applies depends on the weapon. If it's called any kind of "sword" or "axe", or is depicted as one, any Stab resistance the foe has will light up briefly. If the weapon's named a "hammer" of some sort (including the Flail), it's been Blunt for all those I've noticed to check.

BtW, the Justice Defender and the Spiked Mauler, each with a functional-looking spike at the front of its ball, is nevertheless assigned Blunt resistance against their 5/6/9 dmgs.

Edited on 03/13/2015 at 9:05:56 PM PST

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Mar 11, 15 10:52 AM
To each his own, George. I use Revenant and Sword of the Apocalypse to great effect, every time. The point is, with the spells/runes I have described, you get plenty of magic/attack points to make this all work well.

I don't like any of the other wilds, but Revenant is awesome.

I win the game with ease every time with my combos.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 27, 15 11:22 AM
A while ago I, GeorgeTSLC, wrote:* Skeleton, -2/6/15 Stab--tho I've not yet had it before getting something better.
This has since changed. I've gotten and used that symbol early, and it's more than once made a definite difference in reducing the opponent to 0 before they could do the same to my character.

Edited on 03/27/2015 at 12:57:07 PM PST

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Apr 10, 15 3:48 PM
Hi George,

I just played the game thru again and paid better attention to the effectiveness of this set up. With the Cheagle Rune, I get fleet of foot on the first turn, and revenant on 2nd or 3rd turn. With revenant, I can usually get sword of apocalypse and at least one but often 2 blizzards off for the kill. With Rune of the Ice Arch Wizard, the blizzards do 119 damage a pop, so the bad guy is dead very quickly

Glad you tried the set up and liked it too!

Also, I've discovered and like the Ent symbol guy. He freezes reels only for 1, 3, or 6 turns and I find he helps a lot more than a direct damage guy.

Edited on 04/10/2015 at 3:50:17 PM PST

Go to: