bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Foreign Dreams

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jul 8, 11 12:18 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Foreign Dreams? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 12:28:55 AM PST

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

Re:Reviews for Foreign Dreams

[Post New]by geniegal on Jul 8, 11 12:46 AM
I have played for 16 minutes. **** scenes are cartoonish and things so far have been easy to find. No polar bears in a snowstorm or black cats in an unlit corner. An unusual wrinkle - while completing a **** scene, you usually get more things to find along the way - you start out looking for 5 items and end up having to find 15.

First minigame is a jigsaw. The second one is a polyhedron with letters on it. You need to rotate the polyhedron to find specific letters. I never did figure out what I was supposed to do with them and when the "SKIP" bar filled, I bailed out.

No voice overs, you have to read the conversation.

Gist of the story, your friend is having nightmares and you have to get inside his mind to sort things out for him. Where have I heard this before?

I am too tired right now to make a snap decision on to buy or not to buy.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 8, 11 12:47 AM
Another IHOG from GFI, tge developer of Treasure Hunters and Mystery of the Missing Brigantine. Sorry to say that I never like games from this dev and so this one. I like the story, graphics are sort of good but sone kind blurry. I don't like the art work of the game (personal!). The game is also boring play for only 5 mins and deleted it!

Grades

Graphics: C
Story: B
Music: C
Puzzle: C
Gameplay: D
Overall: D

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Jul 8, 11 12:54 AM
TeamSD wrote:Another IHOG from GFI, tge developer of Treasure Hunters and Mystery of the Missing Brigantine. Sorry to say that I never like games from this dev and so this one. I like the story, graphics are sort of good but sone kind blurry. I don't like the art work of the game (personal!). The game is also boring play for only 5 mins and deleted it!

I totally agree. Sets games back eons. C'mon Bigfish.

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 12:55:28 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jul 8, 11 1:18 AM
Good Morning all.

Well this is an odd game.

I got to 76% download, then it errored & I had to re download, but it didn't take too long.

On the options there is a choice of sound, music, full screen curser and difficulty level. although it doesn't actually tell you how the levels differ.

The full screen option is a joke. You end up with a small box surrounded by black stripes & your playing screen is actually smaller than if you choose windowed mode.

The graphics were rather poor through out but if you hovver your curser over the shape of what you are trying to find it will tell you what it is.

There was far too much needless backing & fro ing and too be honest I was soon incredibly bored.

The few puzzles I did were easy enough but monotinous.

A no buy from me.
Jojo

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jul 8, 11 1:25 AM
Wow... I guess I am the lone ranger here. I liked the graphics, story, eh..., so-so but I want to know if my ideas about what happened were right or not, so I guess they hooked me with the story despite myself. LOL I was having fun when the demo ended and I most likely will use a punch card coupon code for this one...

ETA: I had no problem with full screen and didn't have to adjust anything, it just played right. No tech issues whatsoever here... Win7 64bit.

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 1:26:33 AM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 8, 11 1:26 AM
oh, what this could have been...

i think that the occasional single trip into an unknown psyche would be enough to drive some people bonkers, but it seems that our heroine does this for kicks, for thrills, for a living - ??? maybe she's just really nice, or maybe she has no imagination to fill her own dreams... whatever the case, she delves into the dreams of 'victor' repeatedly in an attempt to figure out what has him so screwed up...

i mentioned elsewhere that when this premise comes up [as it sometimes does] my immediate thoughts are of 'the cell' and the absolutely splendid shots that film brings to life... this one... not so much... the scenes are very third rate, cartoony, dark, and reminiscent of those games where you can tell what you're looking for because it's a shade brighter than the rest of the scene or has a thicker border drawn around it... there is very little sophistication brought to bear for all its promise...

i have to say that i was excited to see difficulty settings - more for the engaging puzzle difficulty than for anything else... as for the tutorial, well, i think i can figure out how to use a hint on my own and that the speech bubble means i can talk to a person and the magnifying glass means i can get a better look... really nothing we haven't seen before, folks!

a few of the scenes are a little interesting, a little disturbing, a little 'oh, so that's what's going on in this guy's head' but i don't think any of them would be worse for sound - the silence is like being in someone else's head, alright, if that person doesn't have a way for you to jack in so can listen while you watch... i would've been glad for a more noteworthy soundtrack and maybe even the occasional 'internal monologue' from the lead...

BTW - eventually she does leave victor's and goes to visit someone else... that weird little girl shows up every time, though, and i never figured out what she had to do with anything...

better graphics and sound would have made the game at least engaging to some, but as is - great for putting you to sleep!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 8, 11 1:58 AM
This is a weird game. Not to say that I don't like it, but I can't say I do like it. I had to adjust my screen setting to get full screen, that's always irritating for me. The graphics are dark and foggy. It's simplistic in it's game play and yet difficult also. I'd say give this game a try. I think it's a mediocre game. I don't think it's for everybody. I would only buy this game at DD,COTW. I wouldn't pay more than $2.99 for it. I wouldn't even use a punch card. But I will get it one day, just not today. It's kinda depressing. But like I always say, it's always good to revisit a game another day as our moods change.

I rate this game: "PORK BELLY"

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 1:59:31 AM PST

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Jul 8, 11 3:14 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:This is a weird game. Not to say that I don't like it, but I can't say I do like it. I had to adjust my screen setting to get full screen, that's always irritating for me. The graphics are dark and foggy. It's simplistic in it's game play and yet difficult also. I'd say give this game a try. I think it's a mediocre game. I don't think it's for everybody. I would only buy this game at DD,COTW. I wouldn't pay more than $2.99 for it. I wouldn't even use a punch card. But I will get it one day, just not today. It's kinda depressing. But like I always say, it's always good to revisit a game another day as our moods change.

I rate this game: "PORK BELLY"

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.
‘ ‘
(o)

Miss Lisa, I couldn't have said it any better then you did. I agree with every thing you said (except I didn't have to adjust my screen). lol

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 8, 11 4:29 AM
I love this story! Very different. The game play is even a nice change.
When I first started I thought it would be another one that I wouldn't even be able to finish the demo on. I was wrong again

I played in easy mode and for the demo purpose am glad I did. I had to use the skip button a few times. It recharges rather slow but that makes you do your own work.

In this game you analyze a mans dreams (nightmares). You are given items to find and projects to fix. Since you are working in more than one area you have to try and remember what you see in each scene because you may need to come back for it. Some items are on the small side but I found the graphics clear enough and very little clutter so it wasn't a big deal. The item list is shadow pictures and if you mouse over it tells you what item is. Some can be tricky.

I read that some people didn't care for the mini games. I found them very unusual and just difficult enough to make them a lot of fun. You are able to skip them.

The one problem I have is the absence of a walk through. I made it into the third dream I believe. How many dreams are there? I like to take a look at the walk through just to get an idea of the length. If I knew it would be a definite buy for me.

I have played better games but this one did hook me. It's going on my list.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 8, 11 4:56 AM
5;there is five dreams!fishes,you don't know what you want!no witches,no devils,no vampyre,no flashing lights,no spiders,worms or bugs of all sorts,original story,and with my mathusalem computer,not any issues:graphics are what is on dreams,so not realistic at all and it is good that they become more and more realistic as we are near of the end!not a great game but i played it 3 hours with pleasure and bought it with a punch credit;some objects are hard enough to find and with more length would have 4 stars for me:some puzzles would need more explanations,but none are too hard,and the end is surprising enough!
if they think about a sequel:
1/more puzzles and harder
2/more dreams with other people acting with the hero needing help

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 8, 11 5:14 AM
I am beginning to feel about GFI the way I feel about HdO - not worth to even demo the game.

I have bought the last 2 games from GFI, and funnily enough enjoyed the 1-hour demo. But then the games just got tedious and repetitive. Also, their last game "Missing Brigantine" had some stupid translation errors, and I didn`t even finish the game, because it got so mind-killingly boring and repetitive.

I will play the demo, but unless this game is top-notch and can compete with, say, ERS games in graphics and story, I won`t be buying this game.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Jul 8, 11 6:47 AM
I am in the minority also as I enjoyed this game. A little dark and hard to see the objects at times but it's different! I also have not figured out what the little girl is for but I rather liked seeing her tiptoe through the game.

Did not have any problems downloading but it would not work in hard mode for me. I went back and played it in easy mode and that solved the problem.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 8, 11 8:03 AM
I played about 15 min. and by then I'd had enough. This is a dumb game and I won't be buying it. The reviews above say it all.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 8, 11 9:37 AM
I'm afraid I Have to agree with the reviewers. The second puzzle was especially frustrating. he objective was ambiguous at best and I rotated the letters for 10 - 15 minutes trying to get anthing to happen. Finally skipped the puzzle and I'm also skipping the game

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Jul 8, 11 10:43 AM
hannah57 wrote:I played about 15 min. and by then I'd had enough. This is a dumb game and I won't be buying it. The reviews above say it all.
Not my cup of tea.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Jul 8, 11 11:43 AM
No buy for me. I couldn't even get through the demo. The music is repetitive and seems to only have about a 30 second loop. It stops, is silent and starts over. Art is cartoonish, not always bad, but coupled with dark and objects that look one way in the window and another in the scene turn this into a thumbs down for me.

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Jul 8, 11 12:27 PM
I was playing the demo, when I reached the point where I transferred the letters to the books, the screen went black, never to recover.

I'm beginning to think that the only kind of HOG's developers can envision is one where the objects are hard to find only because the screen is dark as are the objects. This game carried that idea one step too far. A no-buy for me.

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Jul 8, 11 12:33 PM
Just another hog that tries to be spooky but fails.

Enough ghosts and vampires and time travel and REDRUM already.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Jul 8, 11 2:12 PM
I downloaded and played about 40 minutes and then thought I would like to see what other's had to say
As I was reading everyone's comments I had to mostly disagree - I found the full screen to be clear and no bars - the music was bad so muted that - the drawings were interesting and different - no idea what the little girl is all about but I figure somewhere near the end of the game it would be clear - she is a little creepy and an odd color [purple?]

The back and forth to find objects was not bad only three scenes to backtrack - I finished the first dream in about 35 minutes - there are supposed to be five dreams so that would be 2 1/2 - 3 hours of play

And the mini games are not hard - somewhat different - the cube [second mini puzzle] had [spoiler - highlight to read]
the cube lights up when the color matches the book - so roll cube around see the hightlighted color then center and repeat until book is clear
Overall an okay game - I would pay DD for or perhaps a credit but not full price
This game would have been better with an introduction and the characters present in the beginning - the man and an empty chair had me going with a "What??"

I think I will put on list to buy at a future time

Go to: