Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Comments for Vanessa Saint-Pierre Delacroix and Her Nightmare

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 8, 11 5:45 AM
I agree with bbeaver, I hate also to play without the mouse. No buy also for me

[Post New]by cloezoe on Jul 8, 11 7:39 AM
I totally agree with all of the above comments.

abitmore
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by abitmore on Jul 8, 11 9:08 AM
This game is NOT like Super Granny! I love the Super Granny games but this is nothing like SG. SG is a vvery fast-paced, action/arcade/puzzle type of game where you're running around trying not to get killed by monsters. Although you move around some, from what I've seen so far, the focus of this game is the puzzles. If you like puzzles, why not give it a go? I almost gave it a pass but I'm very glad I didn't. I bought it after about 20 minutes.

Microsoft XNA is just a runtime library. It's the framework the dev used rather than something like Flash. These types of games are usually fairly small, as far as taking up room on your computer. This one just requires 97 MB. That includes all of the XNA stuff.

I just love this game. I was afraid a lot of might pass it up thinking it's the fast-paced "action" type of game like Super Granny when it's nothing like Super Granny except they're both "platformers" and both contain puzzles. I usually detest not being able to use my mouse and I really, really hate having to use both hands BUT truly, you just don't move around enough in this game that it's a problem, even for me. You're mostly turning the box around - and things fall each time - rather than the fast-paced running, jumping, digging, shooting, throwing, etc.

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Jul 8, 11 9:08 AM
I'm just loving this, I played until the demo ran out which hasn't happened for years. Whilst I understand that many like using the mouse, since I've just been playing Landgrabbers and Mystic Inn I am enjoying the relaxation of not clickity clicking all the time, and the keyboard movements are not too fast, since you have to think what you are doing and plan ahead.

All I can say is try it for a few minutes, the voices are great (esp. the whiney school kids who didn't like Vanessa and now have to rely on her!).

As was said elsewhere, I'm just glad has the courage to bring out a quirky game like this rather than same old same old (not that I don't enjoy HOG and TMG).

When I searched to find out more about the game I found

"Winner, BEST DESIGN, (****)'s 3rd Independent Game Developers Contest*** Mario-meets-Rubik's-Cube game, coming soon to the PC and Xbox 360!"

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jul 8, 11 10:35 AM
nelliegemini wrote:I'm just loving this, I played until the demo ran out which hasn't happened for years. Whilst I understand that many like using the mouse, since I've just been playing Landgrabbers and Mystic Inn I am enjoying the relaxation of not clickity clicking all the time, and the keyboard movements are not too fast, since you have to think what you are doing and plan ahead.

All I can say is try it for a few minutes, the voices are great (esp. the whiney school kids who didn't like Vanessa and now have to rely on her!).

As was said elsewhere, I'm just glad has the courage to bring out a quirky game like this rather than same old same old (not that I don't enjoy HOG and TMG).

When I searched to find out more about the game I found

"Winner, BEST DESIGN, (****)'s 3rd Independent Game Developers Contest*** Mario-meets-Rubik's-Cube game, coming soon to the PC and Xbox 360!"

I would have liked to have tried this game also but like so many others have said the game doesn't work even after I installed Microsoft's xna file. The DOS command box that opened showed that the game did not install where Big Fish games are supposed to install and I still couldn't run it from the directory it did install to. I probably could have run it from the DOS command box (the black box others have written about) in Dos mode but I don't want to be bothered with that. It's too bad the game doesn't work. It looked like it would have been a good game to play. I uninstalled the game.

I'm happy for the people who managed to run this game successfully. I give this game

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 8, 11 3:03 PM
well, i'm looking forward to checking it out just because it's not mouse friendly!

yay! hope this one's a winner!!

monster2
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by monster2 on Jul 8, 11 8:26 PM
I think this game is really entertaining. I've enjoyed it a lot but I'm stuck on Level 14.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jul 8, 11 8:59 PM
This quirky little game is quite surprisingly a lot of fun. I didn't like that I had to start the game all over again (it may be because I left before finishing level 1), but it sure was faster playing most of that level over than it was playing it for the first time. I got stuck both times in the scenario where she has to avoid sharp stakes: I tried a number of different things (jumping, shifting the orientation mid-fall) in order to reach the door, but nothing seemed to work.

I probably won't buy the game, mostly because this is an austerity summer for me so I'm demoing many games but buying few of them. But I thought this one was fun--and it's a really good workout for your brain: you continually have to shift orientation as you spin the room! It's sort of like the penguin game on Luminosity, and may be just as good for keeping your mind young!

[Post New]by davidjsushil on Jul 9, 11 7:12 AM
Hello, everyone! My name is David J. Sushil, and I'm the developer behind Vanessa. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about my game.

I'm pleased to announce that yesterday, Vanessa was selected as one of ten showcase games for this year's Penny Arcade Expo! Between that, our launch on Big Fish Games, and all of your encouraging comments, there are plenty of reasons to celebrate this weekend.

I appreciate all of your feedback, so don't hesitate to reach out to me! Also, if you're experiencing technical difficulties, please see the "Technical Issues" thread in this forum, where I will attempt to put out as many fires as I can.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Jul 9, 11 11:25 AM
I was absolutely loving this game when the demo ran out of time, so it's definitely a buy for me.

The keyboard interface is perfect for this style of game play, so please don't give up on the game because of that - at least give it a try. You aren't out anything except a few minutes of time and you might find that you like this little gem.

I agree that this is nothing like Super Granny. I don't like the Super Granny-Mario style of games. Vanessa doesn't consist of running fast and dodging the monsters. In Vanessa, you take your time to figure out the best way to get the boxes moved around and to open the hallways where you need them while trying to avoid landing on spikes. Sometimes you have to find a key to the exit and sometimes you come across one of the mean kids whom you rescue in spite of their hurling insults at you while you do so. Personally, I would have left them there, but Vanessa is a much nicer person than I am.

Thank you, David, for creating this great game and for visiting the BF forums to listen to our feedback. Congratulations on your well-deserved recognition by the Penny Arcade Expo.

Happy Gaming, Fishies!

schubert2
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by schubert2 on Oct 3, 11 4:27 PM
I couldn't agree more with the last reviewer. The keyboard interface works perfectly, great music and lightning effects, great puzzles, fun humor. I love new concepts in a game; getting a little tired of HOG's and Match 3. I also think it's great when the developer pays the forum a visit. David, what about Vanessa 2?

[Post New]by mlhfishin on Nov 24, 12 8:12 AM
Great brain teaser puzzle. You need to be ready to use the little grey cells a lot to get this one. It is like Rooms on a basic level. But don't think that will make it simple. This is not a simple game.

If you were the kid that took things apart to see how it worked you will likely love this game. You have to think it through to get where you are going and not use up your turns or time.

Hope there are more coming David. As for the mouse - it is really great to use the keyboard instead. Keep it different from the rest - no mouse more brain power.

Thank you for creating something unique and addictive fun.

Go to: