thistle809
Clownfish
Clownfish
655 Posts

Bonus Game: Cannot get grappling hook to work on beam

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 10, 11 8:10 PM
I have tried repeatedly to use the grappling hook to anchor myself to the attic beam in order to get the photo fragment, but I keep getting one of two messages; "This item will not work here" or "Try something else". I do not know if this has any bearing on the fact that I was able to complete the mini-game which gave me access to the attic without pouring water on the coals. (I was able to get the correct pattern; and only realized that I was supposed to use the paper from the bedroom and charcoal from the brazier to copy the pattern from the garden, when I resorted to the Strategy Guide when the grappling hook would not work on the beam in the attic ceiling.) If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,145 Posts

Re:Bonus Game: Cannot get grappling hook to work on beam

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 10, 11 8:15 PM
Hi there thistle809,
SPOILER
You need to click on the window and use the grappling hook on the top of it - not the obvious beam in the ceiling!! .
This had me going for a while too!!!
Cheers

thistle809
Clownfish
Clownfish
655 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 10, 11 11:24 PM
Thank you so much, DragonLadyOz! I feel so foolish. You are simply amazing!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,145 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 10, 11 11:48 PM
Hi there thistle809.
I am not amazing and you are not foolish - as I said I tried the beam myself many times!!
I just finally noticed a message regarding what I could do when I clicked on the window!!
Hope you enjoy the rest of the game.
Cheers

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
549 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jul 11, 11 10:38 AM
Dragon Lady Oz what pleasure to have you here in the forum you susre were able to help more than one person. Thank you again.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,145 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 12, 11 12:38 AM
Hi there VTCT,
On behalf of all of us who try to help out in the games forums it was nice to have some positive feedback.
Thankyou,
Cheers

pgillenw
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 12, 11 4:42 PM
I too struggled with the grappling hook. I'm pleased that the SPOILER has already been posted. Perhaps I can help at another time.

Nice game!

nyyykfan
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by nyyykfan on Jul 13, 11 8:55 PM
Dragonlady, I have read your solution for the grappling hook. I have tried over and over clicking around the frame of the window. I have tried above the window and still didnot work. This is the last part of the puzzle for me. I have a HP laptop, would that make any difference???

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,145 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 13, 11 10:49 PM
Hi there nyyykfan,
I too play on a laptop and I am sorry you have had trouble with this.
If you still haven't had any success, step back from the window in the attic room, try the grappling hook on the beam in the room to get the the message about it being incorrect, go to the window again and click on the window frame first (near the top). You should get a statement about this being a useful place (or something like that), and try the grappling hook again.
If you don't get the second message, maybe you have missed a planned "step" in the game so this has not yet been activiated and it might be time to resort to the Strategy Guide!!
Cheers

nyyykfan
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by nyyykfan on Jul 14, 11 6:22 PM
Thanks, will try your suggestion. I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. That didnot work. Will let you know.

nyyykfan
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by nyyykfan on Jul 14, 11 6:22 PM
Thanks, will try your suggestion. I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. That didnot work. Will let you know.

nyyykfan
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by nyyykfan on Jul 14, 11 6:41 PM
I played all of the steps and have the hour glass in my invantory. Clicked on the picture and it said to use the beam.. Tried it and got the message to try something else. Tried several times around the window without any luck. For whatever reason I think it has to do with the game........................

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,342 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jul 14, 11 8:04 PM
Hi all- not sure why it is not working. Make sure that you look at the close-up of the window first. Try to get the photo fragment using nothing to learn you need some sort of tool- then use the grappling hook.

It is also possible that you have not triggered something in the game. Try visiting each location to see if there is something more to do.

If you are still having trouble, you make want to consider updating your video card drivers, flash and reinstalling the game.

I hope this helps!

Game on!

PrplDva

Go to: