bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Jigsaws Galore

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jul 12, 11 12:42 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Jigsaws Galore? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jigsaws Galore

[Post New]by QEIII on Jan 10, 12 4:08 AM
This is a really good jigsaw game imo. You can arrange pieces randomly or round the edges. There are trays for those of you who like those. There is a "ghost image" on the screen if you need it. I played 1 jigsaw which took me about 40 mins. Didn't need to rotate pieces either although I believe there is that option. There are loads of other options as well which I didn't have time to explore in demo.

Unlike the awful jigsaw game that came out a couple of months ago (sorry, can't remember name!) the whole screen doesn't move when you go to pick up a piece.

The picture I did was beautiful. This is definitely going to tempt me!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 10, 12 11:35 AM
I only played a few minutes of this one. I uploaded one of my own photos. I'm not that computer savvy, and it was still real easy to do. There seemed to be lots and lots of options, I like the one where you can have fun shapes, like the old time puzzles. The only trouble I had was that I couldn't figure out how to exit and had to close it from the desktop. I don't own any other jigsaw games so I don't know if this one is any better or worse than others. I tried the Ravensberger one last month and I had a hard time with the controls, with this game I had no problem. I think I will be buying it.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Jan 10, 12 11:44 AM
When this first opened up on a puzzle and I saw a large group of puzzle pieces I said to myself, this isn't for me. But then I saw that you could change the size, style and number of pieces and I gave it a try. You can make up your own puzzles. I used my desktop picture of the 5 Colorado grandkids jumping in the sunshine and it was really great! I also checked fun pieces and had a bunny, butterfly, star and other identifiable shapes in this one.

You can also change the size of the puzzles themselves and there are about 8 different shapes for the puzzle pieces. I tried the stars and bubbles in addition to the regular pieces. With only 4 minutes left to test I'd have to say I really liked it.

Now I know what to spend one of my punch card rewards on for sure. Great game with hours of puzzling fun.

There are so many possible variables I'd suggest giving it a try.

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 12:23:30 PM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 10, 12 1:17 PM
I have just played a puzzle called Gateway to the Mountains and in the middle of the conventional shaped pieces were pieces in the shape of a ... highlight below to read ...

dog
shamrock
bear
turtle or cat with arched back
noah's ark
t-shirt
train engine

at least that is what they looked like to me although I might be wrong on a couple.

Thanks for noticing the other features Purr, I was too busy having fun to try any of them out and I am glad to see that there are definitely more fun shaped pieces to find too and, purely because of them and the fact that there are some nice scenic ones (which are my favourite puzzle type) means that I have bought it .

For those wanting to know there are 200 puzzles and they are in the following categories ...

Animals ... (including gorgeous german shepherd & malamute s and cute kitty s too)
Buildings
Outdoors
Scenic
Miscellaneous

What is not to like ... have fun everyone, I intend to .

Cherb

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 2:38:44 PM PST

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Jan 10, 12 1:30 PM
I haven't tried this yet but am going to in just a few minutes as I like jigsaws. However, I am really curious why this was issued as a soft release today when it came out in July 2011. Anyone know? I've never seen this happen before. Not complaining, just wondering.

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 1:31:08 PM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jan 10, 12 2:25 PM
Looks like this might have come out first in the Mac version. I wouldn't have thought about that, but I just came across another game, Jewel Quest Solitaire III, that is only available in the Mac version here.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jan 10, 12 2:34 PM
I bought this program from the developer years ago and he has made some improvements over the years. The other reviews describe the basics of the game. Besides being able to change the size and shape of the pieces the player can use trays to keep parts of the game together like jigsaw puzzlers use the box top and bottom to do. Only the player has more trays to use. The player can also name the trays so you can remember what each tray contains.

You can see the completed picture as you go along as well as see a ghost picture in the work area where you can see if the piece goes where you think it does. Pieces also lock into place when placed correctly.

The biggest plus about this game is you can have as many pieces or as few pieces as you want to use. I haven't tried a thousand piece puzzle yet as I have so many other games but I like to do the 400 piece jigsaws just to relax awhile.

Since I didn't download this from Big Fish (I wasn't sure if it would interfere with my installed game ) I'm not sure if all these features are in this version.

Whether they are or not, the basic game is well worth the money.

This is the utimate in jigsaw puzzling

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jan 10, 12 5:54 PM
I just finished playing the demo and I like this jigsaw puzzle game.

I apologize up front for forgetting the name of the Fishie, but a Fishie in the pond had previously come up with an excellent idea for using all the wallpaper that comes with the CE games: turn the pictures into jigsaw puzzles with the "create your own puzzles" feature of the jigsaw puzzle game. I'm sure that there is a thread about it somewhere in the pond.

This game would be a good one to try it with, and I am thinking about using a punchcard for this game.

[Post New]by bailey11140 on Jan 10, 12 7:15 PM
Love it alot of fun for jigsaw lovers

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Jan 10, 12 8:49 PM
Review for Jigsaws Galore
Jigsaws Galore is a Straight Jigsaw Puzzle game (ie - no story, music, other kinds of puzzles, etc) with a very comprehensive set of features and 200 included images.

The Good:
Extremely feature rich. These include:
- The ability to change the way the target image (some programs call it the 'top of the box' is displayed or even to *hide it all together* (Mystery Mode)
- Fun puzzle shapes (and the ability to add new ones or turn them off completely)
- The ability to customize the piece shape or number of pieces
- Autosave
- The ability to cheat if one customized the puzzle and made it far too difficult

Options are easy to understand and can be changed in a logical manner

Comprehensive help section

Runs in full screen Window mode so that users can do other things (like work) without having to close the jigsaw puzzle.

The indifferent:
No native music player or soundtrack. (Probably not a big deal since I suspect most folks have something for this already)

The Bad:
Some of the included image names are misspelled

No way to configure Mystery Mode to display the puzzle images in the main selection screen but hide the images when actually putting a puzzle together. One can keep turning Mystery Mode on and off when selecting a puzzle but it still would be nice to be able to see the thumbnails.

Who will love this (aside from the obvious "Folks who like jigsaw puzzles" ):
Folks who like to have an activity in the background while they work

Karolyneb's sandbox:
I generally don't write reviews anymore since I no longer have the time available to do a good job on them but, honestly, this program so totally blew my old fave out of the water that I really wanted to let folks know about the featureset. My old fave had almsot all of the same features but it was quite difficult to configure and use them. Also, it was a bit too easy to make a puzzle too hard and not be able to complete the image or re-edit the puzzle to make it easier.

Karolyneb's notes:
I have found jigsaws to be a great way to refresh one's brain when doing creative work. Ages ago, I almost always had a jigsaw puzzle set up in my cube - it made me more productive and co-workers really enjoyed meeting with the puzzle also.

Auto-save is set to 'off' by default. I'd recommend enabling it.

The developer's web site has free images to download as well as lots more to purchase ($15 for 50 images). Try doing a web search to find it.

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Jan 11, 12 7:57 AM
I am a jigsaw fan and like very challenging puzzles, which this offers. I don't even like to see the picture unless I'm really, really, stuck, and this one allows for that, which I haven't seen anywhere before. I haven't investigated this, but it would be nice to see if the completed picture could be saved as wallpaper as some of them are really beautiful. (When the puzzle is completed, it blows up into a full-screen picture without the puzzle piece lines.)

Reviews for Jigsaws Galore

[Post New]by RealOcean on Jan 11, 12 8:46 AM
This is the first jigsaw game I have purchased from Bigfish and I love it.
This game could easily be played for 1000's of hours using different pictures. We all have many pics we could upload and puzzle with and you can change the pieces in a bunch of ways. The puzzles can be difficult or easy, whatever you choose.

Real puzzles take up too much room and who wants to keep a 100 finished puzzles somewhere LOL.
Treat yourself to this game if you love jigsaws, its nice to not worry about losing the pieces.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 11, 12 9:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the great reviews, and very positive reviews too, so I am excited to try the demo.
I am a HUGE jigsaw fan, for those times when I just want to relax and unwind, and from the reviews, this has everything anyone could want in a jigsaw.
I tried the one that came out a while back, but didn't care for the game controls, so I didn't buy it.
Does anyone know if this one has a feature were you can just place the edge's first?
Well off to try the demo, hope I love it and can figure out all of the directions, which I find confusing sometimes, in jigsaw games

lildkrose
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by lildkrose on Jan 11, 12 1:32 PM
This is one of the best jigsaw games I have ever played on a PC. The pictures are beautiful, and being able to add your own pics is great. On the developers site it says you can make puzzles up to 64,000 pieces, lol! Also thank you to karolyneb for mentioning the free puzzles on the developers site, there are loads of them and they go right into your game!

Game is now bought and enjoying it immensely, thanks BFG

yodelrags
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by yodelrags on Jan 11, 12 5:06 PM
this is a nice relaxing game. I used a punch card and it is worth it. The fun shapes are great and I like that I can have as many trays as I want. I put different colors in each one. This is the best way to do jigsaws!! No table needed.

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Jan 11, 12 8:52 PM
Great jigsaw game! I was actually wishing for a game like this, and I am super happy with all the nice features! Lots of jigsaws to play, lots of options, just really good!! Yay!!!

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Jan 11, 12 10:28 PM
Last night i tried to download this game for Trial. It seems like a game i would like. Near the end of the download a Message popped up to install a program. I did NOT want to do that. I don't want to run the risk of damage to my computer programmes. The Game downloaded and i got a Desktop icon of Jigsaws Galore, but I can NOT play it. It says: Cannot find import: DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version. File "openall 32dll" error 126.

Has anyone else had the same problems? I don't know what to do. If Big Fish can guarantee it is absolutely safe then i will first delete and then re-install "Jigsaws Galore".

Thanks in advance for any help.

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Jan 12, 12 1:32 AM
Love this game!

This game has the most features I have ever seen in a puzzle game. It does everything! Yet is manages to stay simple to use. I was pleased to see the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, so if I need to do something else, there is no need to exit the game first.

This is the "puzzle game" I have been waiting for!

Thanks developers!

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Jan 12, 12 1:36 AM
Oh! And I just discovered that there are more jigsaw pictures on the developers site. (So excited right now.)

Go to: