bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Jewel Quest Mysteries: The Seventh Gate

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jul 13, 11 12:27 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Jewel Quest Mysteries: The Seventh Gate? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jewel Quest Mysteries: The Seventh Gate

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 13, 11 4:01 AM
I never like Jewel Quest series because i don't like Match3, surprisingly this one is a HOG (with a mix of Match3!). Story is normal, nothing special. Graphics are very good but i don't like the music.... This game is similar to Allora and the Broken Portal, some kind straight HOG and the objects you need to find are very tiny,, no **** scenes just finding given objects in every places you travel to, with few puzzles..... It's boring for me but don't know what others will think!

Grades:

Graphics: B
Story: C
Music: C
**** Scenes: D
Puzzle: C
Gameplay: D
Overall: D

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jul 13, 11 4:39 AM
Most of the reviews seem to be in the other thread, "Jewel Quest Mysteries:The Seventh Gate." Here's mine:

There is a "Mild Blood / Mild Violence" warning at the beginning.

Options are buttons for full screen, mute all sound, and system cursor. Sliders for Sound, Music, and Voice overs. It's nice to have a separate slider for the voices, because often I can't hear the voices if I turn the background sound down.

If you don't like Hidden Object scenes, don't bother playing this. It is a Hidden Object game, and there are H0 scenes, lots of them. Many of the complaints in the other thread are about how many H0 scenes there are - if you don't like them, why download a game that has them??

There are coins, jewel board shards, and jewels to collect. Keep an eye out, because there are usually more than one of each per scene.

If you like H0 games, give this one a try. It is not high on adventure, but it isn't advertised to be. The graphics are superb, but you do need to be extremely patient and take your time looking for the objects. Some have said the objects are tiny, but I don't find that to be the case - but then, I'm using a desktop monitor. The objects are very well hidden, however, so they don't jump off the screen for you, you really need to look carefully to find them. Objects are kept pretty well to scale, so a hammer is hammer-sized, not as tall as a column in the room, and they are appropriately colored.

The scenes that I have encountered so far are well-lit, so I didn't get my usual eye strain trying to find a black hat hidden in a dark corner. Hidden Object scenes are only slightly junkpile, but it's hard to avoid that unless they only put in the objects in that you are looking for.

No click penalty, as far as I can tell. Big plus for me. I only had one object that was hard to click on (an arrow) but it only took me a couple of clicks to grab it. We've all encountered games where the click area was so small that it took a dozen clicks to grab something, so I appreciate the reasonalbe click area size.

Voice overs are well-done and a great addition to the game.

One warning - in the beginning of the game, while the tutorial is going on, if you try to grab an item and it won't work, look for a dialog box. I was trying to click on a coin, then I tried to click on a list item, and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Then I noticed the dialog box, closed it, and I was able to go on.

If you like Hidden Object games, give this one a try!!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 13, 11 5:43 AM
I love this series. You can nitpick the hidden objects if you want, but I *love* the ambient sounds, music, locations/scenes, and the match-3 jewel boards for mini games. Also love the extra coins and gems you can look for. Mostly straight HOG with a few IHOG items in your inventory to carry around till needed.

I enjoyed the hour demo without any tech issues or slow load times.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Jul 13, 11 8:33 AM
I really enjoy the game to a point. I just cannot truly enjoy a game 100% when it is timed. Please, devs, couldn't you make a game with a relaxed mode for those of us who like to take our own good time to play? This game was difficult enough just trying to find the objects!

Chamana
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Chamana on Jul 13, 11 8:47 AM
I love JQ game series. I love the ambient sounds very relaxing music, locations and scenes, but could not play the match-3 jewel boards because my comp freezes. Also love the extra coins and gems you can look for.
Voices are a great addition to the game. I really like the voice addition it makes it very interesting.
Hope they fix the game soon so I can keep playing the game.

[Post New]by suchar on Jul 13, 11 8:59 AM
I think I would get the game if it had a relaxed mode. I want to relax and not worry about the time. Other than that I had no problems and like the graphics and all the rest. Too bad, so sad.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jul 13, 11 9:16 AM
Thanks for the prior reviews. I will not purchase a game that has a timer that cannot be cancelled. I like to relax and play a game, I do not liked to be rushed. If the game is re-released with the "timer Option", I will purchase it.

cjmajor49
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by cjmajor49 on Jul 13, 11 9:42 AM
This could be a good game , except for the lousy timer. A game should at least be a little relaxing. Timed games just put pressure on a person and that's where the fun disappears. If a game has a timer as it's only way to play, it is definitely a no-buy for me.

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on Jul 13, 11 11:40 AM
jinocchio49 wrote:I really enjoy the game to a point. I just cannot truly enjoy a game 100% when it is timed. Please, devs, couldn't you make a game with a relaxed mode for those of us who like to take our own good time to play? This game was difficult enough just trying to find the objects!

I completely agree with this comment! I love the Jewel Quest games but am so frustrated at the higher levels with timed mode! These games usually have great tropical music and 'could' be so fun and relaxing, but the timer makes it too much pressure for my mindless escape needs. If I want to be in a high pressure situation, I would go to work or at least play a time mgmt game. Most match 3-type games and HOG's have a relaxed option, why not Jewel Quest?

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 13, 11 11:56 AM
This is probably the ONLY game thats not a CE I will use a on!

I was hearing "Oh happy day" in my head and shocked it was a soft release.. I LOVE their games. I also hate timers but the timer in this is so generous (you can always get more by being careful what you buy with gems and finding them all.. I LOVE looking for them too) that I don't even think about it,nor does it stress me out like all others do for some reason.. I hope they do give it a non timer option in future games, so more people will buy/try it. I'm glad to see finally got those one.. its been out for quite some time now.. so long I forgot to wish for it!

5 s, 5 I hope this series never tries to be anything else because they have it perfect as far as I'm concerned! It made me find a new game style I would have never tried, M3s.. now I LOVE them too!

The only bad thing I can say it.. Did you have to release this game when I broke my finger??!!!

ETA Wow color me and and ! The game was waaay shorter then the previous ones, they totally changed everything I loved about them and it felt older than the first 2! definitely a step back, Spintop got very lazy with this one, I feel ripped off that I used a credit for it! Maybe worth it as a DD, but too short and badly done for the full price. I change my rating to only 2 1/2 s and feel very different then when I trialed it for the 1st chapter! See my after review on page 2, since we can't make "Finished threads" anymore.

Edited on 07/28/2011 at 11:24:15 PM PST

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Jul 13, 11 12:34 PM
WiccanWoman530 wrote:This is probably the ONLY game thats not a CE I will use a on!

I was hearing "Oh happy day" in my head and shocked it was a soft release.. I LOVE their games. I also hate timers but the timer in this is so generous (you can always get more by being careful what you buy with gems and finding them all.. I LOVE looking for them too) that I don't even think about it,nor does it stress me out like all others do for some reason.. I hope they do give it a non timer option in future games, so more people will buy/try it. I'm glad to see finally got those one.. its been out for quite some time now.. so long I forgot to wish for it!

5 s, 5 I hope this series never tries to be anything else because they have it perfect as far as I'm concerned! It made me find a new game style I would have never tried, M3s.. now I LOVE them too!

The only bad thing I can say it.. Did you have to release this game when I broke my finger??!!!

Except for the broken finger I so agree w/WiccanWoman530 about the Jewel Quest game.
Devs, don't fix what isn't broken. They are so clever at disguising or hiding in plain sight those friggen coins.
Thank you for a great soft release!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jul 13, 11 2:12 PM
5 out of . Why you might ask?

1. Graphics are great. Which is to be expected for JQ games. And yes, items are difficult to find, which makes this a buy for me. I don't believe they are too small, just well hidden. Which supports that this is a hidden object games PLUS M3.

2. I've played most of the JQ games and some of the games are just M3, others have a little hidden objects, and some, over time have just become too boring. This game has a lot going on -- find map pieces, find jewels, find coins, and find the scenes hidden objects -- I love it!

3. Picking up on my number 2 above, some of the JQ games try to do a combination of hidden objects and M3, but I don't think they did as good a job as this one.

If you like challenging hidden object games with a touch of M3, I believe that you might like this one. If you don't like hidden object games, you might want to pass.

I'm off to purchase!!

Happy Gaming --

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Jul 13, 11 2:45 PM
I already bought this because I love the entire series. This one is a little different from the first two. Hints are harder to come by and I find some of the objects a little too well hidden. Timer: well, yeah, I'd rather it wasn't there too or that you could at least have the option of untimed. The graphics are, as usual, terrific. Sound doesn't bother me as I rarely have the sound on anyway.

SpinTop makes great games and I'm glad Big Fish picks them up. This one is a winner as far as I'm concerned. Happy Gaming.

For Wiccanwoman: Merry meet!

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Jul 13, 11 6:55 PM
I was very disappointed in this game. Played 30 minutes and uninstalled.

I wanted the old match-3 Jewel Quest, but this is just a lot 'o H0G. Very hard to spot the objects--just too much stuff.

I was not sure about finding the match board pieces. I only found one by the time I quit, after doing three H0 scenes. I felt like I was doing something wrong. Had a hard time finding hint pieces, and jewels. Bleh. I got tired of looking all over the place.

Oh yeah, it's timed. Even though they give you a lot of time (at least in the beginning scenes) I don't like it. What's the point?

I wanted to buy this, but it was just not an enjoyable game, so a no-buy here.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 13, 11 9:52 PM

I bought this game some time ago from another distributor but then, like when I buy Spin-Top H0 games, I knew exactly what it is, a straight H0 interspersed with M3.

I enjoy it for what it is: a straight H0 interspersed with M3.

machamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by machamc on Jul 14, 11 10:11 AM
I don't post very ofter but in this case, I felt it necessary to vent. I love the Jewel Quest series and have bought every one of them, even though there are a few I have been unable to complete. I feel completely ripped off as this game is so short I was able to complete it in 3-4 hours and it is not the type of game I would like to play over again as except for the few jewel boards, it would be completely boring and repetitive.

Developers, how could you do this to those of us who love this series?.

Tootlestwo
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Tootlestwo on Jul 14, 11 11:05 AM
I don't get it! I played about 3 hours and that was it! There has to be something amiss here as one would think there would be more levels. I got all the way to the "Gate" and that was it. Come on developers where's the rest of the game???

Ourself94
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

Too short

[Post New]by Ourself94 on Jul 14, 11 1:26 PM
I purchased this game this morning, after playing for an hour. I liked it. I've played around 4 hours, and it's over. I did not skip any puzzels. This game feels like it's lacking parts of the game. Was it supposed to be a collector's edition? I don't know just seems too short.

lovetoocraft
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by lovetoocraft on Jul 14, 11 10:24 PM
This is a NO BUY for me. If the game companies want my money, they need to give me the option to be timed or not. It just does not make sense to me why the option is not offered.. Oh well...on to the next game that will allow me to sit back, relax and just enjoy the game at my pace and not the devs.

Go to: