bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 17, 11 2:31 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 17, 11 2:44 AM
I don't like Amelia but this one seems to be much much better, seems like a long game too. Fantastic, clear and crisp graphics, good hog scenes and puzzles. Nice voice over and music but I found the pointing curser noise really annoying. Bought it

Time Played: 25 Mins

Grades

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A
HOG Scenes: A
Puzzle: A
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 17, 11 3:05 AM
I liked the intro with the planets passing by and by the time I was in the boat I was hooked and wanted this game not only because of the story but because of the beautiful graphics .

Those of you that have Widescreen monitors will be pleased to see that there is a option for this. The custom cursor is nice and slim but you can change it if you need to which I didn't.

There are two modes of play and I chose the Expert and I used one hint ... it took approximately 3 minutes to refill so this long a time encourages you to go find the answer for yourself like I did because I got fed up of waiting . I guess it will be about 5 minutes if you need to skip a puzzle but luckily I didn't need to find out the hard way as they were doable .

The hidden object scenes seem slightly less crisp than the other scenes and some of the objects are not easy to spot intially and I incurred the wrath of the devs by doing either 2 or 3 wrong clicks and the screen shook and the cursor spun in circles . I do like that there is an interactive bit in those scenes as well as finding the objects .

I still had the music on quietly when the time ran out at the end of the second H0 scene and, as I hadn't found the first explorer let alone all 5 of them I am assuming that this will be a nice long CEworthy game.

Cherb

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 17, 11 3:52 AM
First of all, why are there TWO threads with identical topics? Is there a "front-door" one and a "back-door" one? Oh well--here goes--

(My remarks (OK--review--based on about an hour of gameplay.). I am WAY impressed with this one, especially compared to its "Amelia Earhart" sibling! BIG D/L, so I expected BIG things, and I'm not disappointed so far. As Cherb noted, the intro is an eye-catcher--sort of a 3-D flight through our Solar System, ending up at the UMC warehouse (Area 51, maybe?). Professor/Dr. Hudson is there to greet us and explain our mission--to rescue 5 archaeologists who've gone missing while investigating possible "Ancient Astronaut" visits. That's the storyline--travel the world!

The Options menu has all the right goodies (cursor choices, screen choices, SFX sliders, and game-play modes). As with most quality games, the tutorial can be skipped. The voice acting is pro-caliber; the sound effects are "close-your-eyes-and-you're-there" effective; the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen! This is a totally-interactive H0G, with emphasis on the "interactive." The hint system is effective, but slow to re-up; the built-in Strategy Guide is, in a word, AWESOME--one screen at a time, and guess what?--it admits to 570 screens! Kinda gives me an idea of the game's length! (No wonder the D/L file is so huge!). One BIG drawback, though (and why developers do this is beyond me)--misclick penalty--SO WHAT if I wanna "click" like there's no tomorrow? Games could do without that!

I thought the CE on Thursday was a goodie; this Sunday one could be even better! For folks who want the SE versions, please, --don't make anyone wait too long!

Regards, and Good Gaming, elldee

Edited on 07/17/2011 at 3:58:30 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 17, 11 4:00 AM
YAY! This is a good CE game- fantastic graphics and atmosphere- lots of Adventuring-
as well as the Strategy Guide there is a progressive hint system

If anything to find fault- puzzles a bit on easy side, but no biggie!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 17, 11 4:06 AM
Yes, this is a great game! And I bought it. No sparkles and nice puzzles. The hint and skip are slow.
I played for 1 hour and still on the island. Sure this game is 6 or 7 hours to play.

Thanks BF and developers!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jul 17, 11 4:40 AM
THANKS 4 the reviews and taking ur time and posting them.

i am off to DEMO but I had to stop and say I AGREE about the clicker I want to click for an hour OK...I feel like a school kid getting my fingers in trouble with teacher .

I think we are finally having a GOOD week..BFG must figure with all the HOT weather most will b here playing games... I AM

C YA L

PEN

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Jul 17, 11 4:42 AM
Well, there is a lot of deja vu in this game, so far. Starting out on a boat with an owner whose words need translation, animals "guarding" something, a window on the boat that needs opening (in the same place as the window in the last iteration), hungry beastie in the water...all the same. I, too, don't like the click sound effects and all the "mechanical" noises and I really hate that each H0 item's name is spelled out when you click on it. Lots of people hated that in the last game by these devs...don't they ever read the forums? If I click on a frog, I don't need typing noise and letters telling me it's a frog! I know that or I wouldn't have clicked on it.

That said, will I buy it? In a heartbeat! Others have pointed out the good points of this game so I'll just mention that, only partly into the demo, I already want to find the lost explorers. I'm drawn into the story, something that has been missing, for me, of late. I was beginning to wonder if I was just getting tired of casual games so I'm happy to find that's not the case. And, for the benefit of BFG's bottom line, I'm sure they're happy, too.

Off to buy.

Hi, Dobbie! Good to see we still like the same games.

maryerbe
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by maryerbe on Jul 17, 11 4:48 AM
wow i think BigFish did a great job at this game i just love it ,so much to do very clear ,it seems to be more adventure story line is good graphics are great the guy on the boat looks realistic a buy for me

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jul 17, 11 5:11 AM
elldee2728 wrote:First of all, why are there TWO threads with identical topics? Is there a "front-door" one and a "back-door" one? ....................Regards, and Good Gaming, elldee

There are two "Review threads because Flounder didn't start the "official" thread until 2 and a half hours after the game was released, so another Fishie started one. If anyone wants to see the early posts, just look for the other one.

On-topic, this is a great game and I've already purchased. You can read my full review in the other thread, but in a nutshell it has great graphics, good Options choices including widescreen and cursor, and the storyline is interesting.

At the beginning there is a message that this is a fictionalized story based on actual events. Occasionally in the story they show photographs of real archeological finds and there was a video of a native ritual being performed. So you can not only enjoy a great game, you get a bit of education at the same time!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 17, 11 5:12 AM
tredzwater/ wrote:
Off to buy.

Hi, Dobbie! Good to see we still like the same games.
Ofcourse we do!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jul 17, 11 5:18 AM
Regarding the "spinning cursor" and slow hint refills -
I really have no idea as I know nothing about computers except point-and-click, but is it possible that by clicking too fast that the game needs to "find" where we are and this slows us down until it catches up? Or maybe the slow hint refill is needed for the game to - again - find where we are and catch up?

This may be the wrong place to post, but I was commenting on the relevant (and wonderful) posts about the game. I am getting ready to play the demo and the game sounds like a winner!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jul 17, 11 5:30 AM
Masterful Game! The developer pulled out all the stops on this one!

The story line could have been a yawner, but with all the mix of fact and fiction, great gameplay etc..it is the opposite. The demo time flew by..so it's definitely a buy.

Nice flow of gameplay..lots of head scratching. There is assistance if you need it, try not to need it.
H.O.G. scenes are actually fun..I'm not a straight H.O.G. fan..but these scenes are not junky with silly things (like irons or cell phones in old africa) but are all theme based and more head scratching.
I love the sounds in this game, the music is appropriate and the language situation is fun.
Great game,,it has so many depths!
kris

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Jul 17, 11 6:56 AM
I agree the hidden object scenes are ok, I usually hate them but not too many in this one, it took me about five hours altogether to play the game so quite a pleasant way to pass a boring Sunday

[Post New]by baglady159 on Jul 17, 11 7:02 AM
tj1147 wrote:Regarding the "spinning cursor" and slow hint refills -
I really have no idea as I know nothing about computers except point-and-click, but is it possible that by clicking too fast that the game needs to "find" where we are and this slows us down until it catches up? Or maybe the slow hint refill is needed for the game to - again - find where we are and catch up?

This may be the wrong place to post, but I was commenting on the relevant (and wonderful) posts about the game. I am getting ready to play the demo and the game sounds like a winner!

I don't think it means we're actually clicking non-stop, just not finding the object in the required number of clicks. I know some games only give you...say, 3 to 5 clicks before you get penalized. We just want to be able to click without a penalty at all. I know sometimes when there are dark areas that I can't see into very well, I wil click around the dark area and occasionaly I find something hiding there. So a game with a "no-click penalty" is nice to come across.
Hope this makes sense...

brightone2
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by brightone2 on Jul 17, 11 7:40 AM
I WILL be buying this game. Great graphics and storyline. Thanks for a great game

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Jul 17, 11 7:55 AM
I am not much of a reviewer or writer that being said this is my first time posting in the review thread so please be gentle,

I was expecting this game to be somewhat like the first Unsolved Mystery Club and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. I liked the first one but this one well this is a great game! I like that there is more interaction, The voiceovers are good was there music? I didn't even notice I must have zoned it out. I try not to use the strategy guide but if I start going crazy and don't know what to do I use it I like this strategy guide not too many words it jut shows you what to do. The items in the hidden object scenes are fairly easy to find some you have to look harder for and the scenes are not too dark that you cannot see in the corners. I still had 20 minutes left when the demo finished I didn't want it to end I was just so into the game so of course I am buying this one it seems like it is a long game too. As far as everything else goes well Cherb said it all. So I am off to buy and play have a great day!

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jul 17, 11 8:16 AM
Well here's my review even if it's rather short. There was a volume control for sounds and music but not voice so I turned up my computer to hear the voice and then the sounds were so loud so had to turn all that down. I was in easy mode and after 5 clicks I got the crazy cursor penalty. Hints still took a while to recharge. I didn't time it but it had to be about a minute or so. I lasted 20 minutes before deleting. I encountered one hidden object scene, 7 puzzles and a whole bunch of tediousness. This is an Adventure Puzzle game and even though it had a hidden object scene it's really not a hidden object game if you consider the ratio. No buy for me but for all the fishies who love these types of games I hope you enjoy and have a happy Sunday.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jul 17, 11 8:33 AM
Played 30 mins of demo and loved it! Interesting story, good voice-overs, wonderful graphics, no tech problems, wide-screen choice all make this a "must buy." I am looking forward to purchasing this game in August. Wish I could do it now!!! I agree with all the favorable comments and thank everyone for their thoughts.

Faylyn

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Jul 17, 11 8:37 AM
I liked the game up and to the point where the snakes appeared. I HATE snakes . Period, no discussion. Game was really great and I got to the point where I got access inside the temple and game ended. This will be a definate buy for me.

PS: Get rid of the snakes or give me a shotgun so that I can.

edited to remove words: I can. were used 2x. so I can that I can. short night I guess.

Edited on 07/17/2011 at 1:49:27 PM PST

Go to: