crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

This game is propaganda

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jul 20, 11 6:46 AM
I started playing the trial version of this game. It was cute, with graphics and music designed to appeal especially to small children.

Then I reached the point where the little penguin of the storyline goes to school. His teacher is named "Uncle Mao" (complete with Chinese accent). I thought he would turn out to be a villain, but Uncle Mao teachers the little penguin how to "clear his mind," and the penguin is happy after this happens.

Today I ran across a fact I hadn't known before. During the Vietnam War, North Vietnam dictator **** Chi Minh was referred to by VC supporters (such as Jane Fonda) as "Uncle ****."

This is nothing but thinly-veiled propaganda to teach children about communism, when they are too young to understand what communism even is.

DO NOT GET THIS GAME FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Re:This game is propaganda

[Post New]by dmjones88 on Jul 22, 11 8:25 PM
Not sure I'd go that far but I was not happy with the stereotyped speech pattern of Mr Mao, the teacher, in fact I was offended by it. I had a hard time with the mammary glands on the female penguin as well. My son lost interest in the game after about another hour of play.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Aug 16, 11 12:22 AM

As a USA person who grew up and lived through the Vietnam years with relatives who served over there, I have to say that your information -- though probably fact -- is something that I was NOT aware of and personally, I thought of Mao Tse Tung, the communist Chinese leader of MANY years.

There is NOTHING in this game that refers to ANY political agenda and to say that ANYONE with the name Mao is AUTOMATICALLY a communist is stereotyping. I would find it EXTREMELY unlikely that ANY child growing up nowadays with NO reference to the Vietnam War other than in history books (is it in history books -- wasn't at the time that MY kids grew up), I doubt very much that the kids would even have an interest in the name Mao.

As to the accent -- why not? Mao is a Chinese name so why not sound Chinese? In the USA, everyone is considered a patriot (no matter the origin of nationality) UNTIL PROVEN otherwise in a court of law.

JMHO, but I think you're putting too much importance on a name ESPECIALLY since I would think that it's a common Chinese name just as David, Daniel, Linda, etc. are common Caucasian names.

MEnr56

[Post New]by 109500 on Oct 31, 11 10:49 AM
I agree with crowtrobot. I wish I had tried a little longer before I bought it for my 7 year old grandson. I am a 73 year old lady who remembers both Mao the Chinese dictator who brainwashed and killed thousands of his own people and the Vietnam war. I do not want my grandson exposed to the brainwashing ideas I saw after playing a little bit more of the game after I bought. I agree with crowtrobot. I am planning on uninstalling this game and never open it again.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! ! ! ! ! !

BJRC
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by BJRC on Dec 1, 11 3:19 AM
I kinda agree that adults put way too much hidden meaning in things. All I am looking for is a really good penguin game for my teenage daughter. One that is cute and not like the W.O.W, and all the other army type games. Sometimes you just want a fun game with as little violence to break up the manatany.

[Post New]by JaCkI19 on Jan 24, 12 3:50 AM
good

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Feb 22, 12 4:51 AM
wow.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 12, 12 9:43 AM
Like everything else in life, you can read something into anything. Given the entire context of the game, that it's fun and uplifting, I'm having a hard time beliving that it's goal is to subliminally plant communism into the minds of children (especially with a non-existing reference).

Conspiracy theories, anyone?

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: This game is propaganda

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 16, 12 6:02 PM
Ah, this rabid, strident anti-Communism makes me nostalgic for the Cold War.

NOT!!!

If there's any propaganda here at all, which I doubt, it's in fact anti-Communist. Just as Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator and Spike Jones' band going Heil, Heil, right in der Fuhrer's face were anti-Fascist, not pro-Hitler.

And yes, I'm as old as some of the rest of you. I was among the Vietnam antiwar protesters, in a mild way, tho I'd never have dreamed of spitting on a returning soldier, nearly all of whom were not Lt. Calley, any more than I supported Ho Chi Minh.

But if y'all want to get exercised about something the game actually teaches, other than the idiocy of avian mammaries, take at look at the "Warning for Arachn[oph]obes and Vegans" thread here at http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/175029.page. In it, the OP notes that "in several scenes you feed an animal, then feed that animal to another" which arrangement leaves another poster "irritated by the 'feed your friend to another friend for material gain' aspect".

Now that's something I'd hesitate to share w/ a young child unless I was around to deplore it.

Go to: