moaner1
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

bento boxes

[Post New]by moaner1 on Jul 20, 11 10:58 AM
I must be really thick but for the life of me I just can not understand the instructions on how to fill the boxes I am going dolally can any one help?

safetykim
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Re:bento boxes

[Post New]by safetykim on Jul 20, 11 1:10 PM
You have to fill the bento boxes so that they match the layout hints you're given. For instance, if one of the hints is a row of three boxes with a cat, a cat AND a bowl of rice, and a pig, you know that one of the rows will have one of the cats on the left, the rice cat in the center, and one of the pigs on the right. Say you also have a column with a rice cat on top, then a pig and a bear. Then you know that the row I just laid out is the TOP row, and the column is the middle column.
Combined, all of the hints are supposed to give you the layout of the box. That being said, some of them are really hard and take some trial and error. Good luck!

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Jul 20, 11 3:53 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself. Many people had trouble with this part of the game. I looked at two walkthroughs and had to have people break it down for me in another game forum.
Unfortunately I can't be of any help to describe how to do it.
I just wanted to lend some support.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jul 21, 11 8:33 AM
I'm loving this game but the bento boxes were agravating to me also. I looked at every walkthrough available and still didn't get it. I finally finished them 'by accident'. Loving the sudoko and other puzzles though! Good luck Moaner1!

hobokin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by hobokin on Jul 25, 11 11:15 AM
this is one of the hardest puzzles i have ever done. no matter what i do it wont work. i thought you couldn't have 2 of the same animals in a row or column ? is that right

Gamin_Mum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Gamin_Mum on Jul 25, 11 12:16 PM
You can't have more than one of each combination (rice/cat, egg/pig, etc) but you can repeat animals and/or food types in any given column or row.

The key is lining up two of the clues. Sometimes it will be obvious (two clues will include a rice/cat) but sometimes you just need to experiment a little and try "if this is a cat, will it work" type exercises.

katkarman
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by katkarman on Jul 25, 11 8:27 PM
I just figured out the potrait thing. Now I am stuck on this bento box... ugh! lol Im still trying... tbc

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jul 26, 11 11:32 AM
hobokin wrote:this is one of the hardest puzzles i have ever done. no matter what i do it wont work. i thought you couldn't have 2 of the same animals in a row or column ? is that right

I thought the same thing hobokin! Alas, this is not the case and I am so stuck on the second set of these stupid boxes it is driving me insane! I have to say this is the HARDEST ND I have every played. Got the first box done "by accident" but this second box has me so totally flummoxed it is unbelievable. I have checked all my usual sites for the walkthroughs only to find out that the stupid boxes are RANDOM! Yikes, I have been stuck for 3 days now. I can't believe you cant even exit out and come back later you just have to save in the Bento screen Yiieeeekkkkeeess! Come on Dev's HELP US OUT!

JMHO

Lean

wwax
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by wwax on Jul 27, 11 7:03 AM
How hard was this! U Tube has some very helpful instructions/examples

kateinaz
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by kateinaz on Jul 27, 11 11:22 AM
For some reason, I didn't have too much trouble with this after reading the help at the "?" mark on the screen TWICE...CAREFULLY lol. It might help to lay out a grid on paper, then place the overlay "templates" (the hints to the right of the grid on the screen) into the grid you drew. As others mentioned, there can be duplicates of a food type and/or an animal type in any given row or column, but different food/animal types cannot overlap in the same box. So, for example, if the template has a box with a cat in it, a box from a different template with the "rice cat" in it can overlay the box with the cat in it, but a template box with any kind of bear or rabbit or any kind of egg or sandwich cannot. If you place all the templates in the grid so there are no incorrect overlaps, you should have most or all of the boxes correctly filled in.

If less than all of the boxes in the grid are filled by the templates, or if some boxes still only have one thing in them (like a cat or rice), you should be able to fill those in by process of elimination from the bento that remains. For example, if the templates show you where the rice bear and the rice cat go, the remaining rice rabbit must go in either a box with only a rabbit in it; a box with only rice in it; or in an empty box.

oh boy, my explanation is probably more confusing than the puzzle!!

embersob
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by embersob on Aug 12, 11 5:34 AM
I don't have any bears to use. how do I get them

DutchJames
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by DutchJames on Aug 12, 11 9:18 AM
You don't have to get them probably. There are four types of bento: bear, cat, rabbit and pig. Each puzzle uses three of those four. So there will always be one that isn't used. If you do another, bears might be used and there will be another one of the four not being used.

embersob
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by embersob on Aug 12, 11 5:35 PM
I got the portrait puzzle now stopped by these darn boxes. I don't know where the clues are. I need someone to go step by step.

DutchJames
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by DutchJames on Aug 14, 11 1:55 PM
The clues are on the right hand side. They show a certain amount of squares and contain one of the symbols or a combination of them (so it could show a cat which means one of the three cat figures will be placed there, it could show the symbol for cat/sandwich or it might for instance show a sandwich, which means one of the three sandwich figures in the puzzle). There are different clues and they all will have to fit correctly into the puzzle. Check out some of the other posts in the thread, which also explain how it is done.

embersob
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by embersob on Aug 17, 11 5:23 PM
I'm too thick headed to get these boxes therefore I won't be finishing this game and I have never given up! I watched you tube read all notes and nothing clicks. Can I get a refund?

juhuwoorps
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by juhuwoorps on Oct 27, 11 1:27 PM
Here is a youtube video that might better explain how this game works...It helped me...The designs at the side...are actual shapes..Similar to what u might see in TETRUS..

And you imagine fitting those shapes inside the box...They can only fit in certain places. Take one of the finished pictures..For instance--Bear/Sandwhich..and..imagine where it should go...Then from there, the other shapes..go ..You can't overlap..

So if the Bear/Sandwhich goes in the middle of the box..Another finished picture..can't replace it...

If you see a BEAR..in any of the other shapes..It might be that one..But not something that is a finished picture..For instance a RABBIT/SANDWHICH.

.Once I understood that the shapes themselves...like a tetrus game...Then i got it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhaEj4ibGqA

Although the video is long...
You'll only need to watch..maybe a few seconds of this video..to understand the game..

Edited on 11/02/2011 at 7:27:29 PM PST

[Post New]by baglady725 on Oct 27, 12 1:15 PM
Thanks so much for the youtube video tip. I was tearing my hair out over the bento boxes (like so many others) and was ready to throw in the towel. After the video, I not only understand and can do them, but I am enjoying them. They are still not easy, but at least they are not impossible! Thanks again!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 29, 13 2:27 PM
I'm trying to get all the achievements and one of them is to do loads of these boxes I found out by accident that if you don't like your box, if you back out and go into it again (ask her to do another one) it resets with a different set of pictures.

Sometimes they are very hard, others not as much depending on the clues of the pictures. For example if you get a middle square and you know 100% it has to be a middle square then you can put the ones in first that you know have to be it 100% (if it has a two pictures on each square PLUS a set location).

Sometimes it has a strip (3 boxes in a row) or even a 3 boxes that look like a corner but it doesn't have to be and those are the tricky ones and take more working out.

So just keep backing out till you like one and try it- sometimes you even get a picture with the whole grid, with a couple of set pictures in it and not just 2 or 3.
So some are harder than others.

Go to: