rdrhea
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Strategy

[Post New]by rdrhea on Jul 22, 11 1:00 PM
Do not read this if you want to figure it out on your own.
Have been reading lots of posts about this game here and on the net. There is a lot of viewpoints on the gameplay but bobody is posting "How" they are winning or losing. After beating the Governor on day 165, and playing on for trophies it seems to me that the game has been programmed to give you the opportunity to prove just what the game is about. That winning takes skill, not luck.
Is it an absolutly random deal each time? No, it does not seem to be. I base this on the observation that the cards you are dealt are usually better if you play agressivley. Fold and skip hands and you will see endless 3-7 types of cards. Stay in hands, raise instead of calling and your cards and opportunities start improving.
Is there a predetermined winner before the deal? If you played poker in real life and simply layed out the cards on the table there would only be one winner and that winner was predetermined before you started to deal by the order of the cards in your hand. Think about it kids.
Does the computer player know its going to win the hand? No. It does however calculate odds of winning and will call or fold based on whats on the table and its pocket cards. Example, If there is a pair showing on the table then three of a kind is a possibility for someone, so bet or raise, if called dont push but check and conserve chips. When a computer player is low on chips they will go all in on any cards. You can usually beat them and its always worth the try. Look at their chip count and decide if staying in will kill you if you lose.
There are personality types that are predetermined and they always occupy the same seat at the tables. For instance the person just to the left of you on the screen raises wildly. If its less than half of his/her chips its almost always a bluff and simply raising back will cause them to fold.

rdrhea
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Strategy

[Post New]by rdrhea on Jul 22, 11 1:17 PM
Tournament Strategy
Here is how I play a tournament. It does not always work, because the hands dealt are unpredictable. But it does work a majority of the time.

First hand, go all in before the flop. No matter what has been bet.
Most of the time everybody folds. Sometimes 1 or 2 call. You have about 50/50 chance if this happens.
You need to get ahead quickly and this works.
From here on play as many hands as you can using the money you won on the first hand. It is better to raise than call as you earn more money. This thins out the players in each hand. If you let all the players stay in there is little chance of winning in the long run. Raising will usually get you down to one to three players. If a lot of them call and your cards are bad check and conserve. You can not win every hand, but you can improve your chances by playing aggressive. Stay in hands and others will fold. If you want to know how good another players hand is then check. If he checks its a good sign that he has average cards. This is NOT aways the case. I have seen them check with pocket aces.
Check the leader board and watch your position. If you are in the lead fold when you get trash cards. Unsuited and not within a straight. Always play card pairs of 10 or better such as 10/Q. I will always play a 9/K as its a straight possibility.

chazzer47
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by chazzer47 on Dec 24, 11 12:51 PM
Other readers of these posts should not pay attention the above mentioned "strategies" They are wrong. I don't have the answers to winning this phoney and monotonous card game, but what is listed above will not win it for you either.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Feb 21, 12 7:46 PM
sorry read reply below

Edited on 02/21/2012 at 8:08:44 PM PST

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Feb 21, 12 7:47 PM
sorry again...accidently posted same thing

Edited on 02/21/2012 at 8:10:06 PM PST

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Feb 21, 12 7:48 PM
chazzer47 wrote:Other readers of these posts should not pay attention the above mentioned "strategies" They are wrong. I don't have the answers to winning this phoney and monotonous card game, but what is listed above will not win it for you either.

Gee chazzer47, you have 29 posts and I bet most of them are trash talking this game!

Not to mention, being a little "mean spirited" to others. rdrhea said, at the beginning of this thread, that the strategy does not always work. I wonder how many times you have tried it. Can you, without a doubt, prove the strategy is wrong? I used a similar strategy and beat the game! Come on! We know it,s not real poker but, if some have fun playing, didn't they get their "moneys worth"? You act as if you are really losing your own money when you lose a hand...

I posted a simple review that stated the game was fun, and your reply was...

"Wait till you've played it awhile and see just how phoney the game is, then decide how "fun" the game is. If you still think it is a good, fun game then I'd hate to see your idea of a truly bad game."
The last line of your reply was an insult to me, not the game!

sewbizzy
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sewbizzy on Mar 13, 12 9:22 AM
I've played the 'old' version of this game for a while now and I have beaten the governor and thus 'won' the game...using a completely different strategy, but it takes a very long time to do it.

Just a couple days ago, I downloaded the upgraded 'premium' edition. So new persona, starting all over from Amarillo...oh yay...I forgot how much different the game is when you aren't collecting much rent. Thus, I came here looking for a different take on the strategy of the game and found this thread.

I just tried the OP's strategy and walked away with a second place win in the tournament. Now, having played all the way through, I cannot say that this particular strategy will work in some of the tournaments later on in the game as I think the opponents are tougher the further into the game you get, but in Amarillo, it seems to work quite well. Even when I was dealt bad cards that I would normally have folded, I called if I was first to bet then waited until someone else raised, then went all in before the flop. Only once was I called on it, and I won the hand. I got at least 6 sets of 'pocket pairs' in the tournament - far more than I normally do.

My old strategy was to 'play safe' and only call, never raise before the flop, and I frequently folded if I didn't have a face card. This strategy can work, but I'd say that over 50% of the time it does not...so it's nice to know that aggressive playing is an alternative - but I'll add a caveat - play smart and aggressive, not just aggressively.

If I can add one additional piece of advice to this strategy thread it's this: When you're playing the 5-player non-tournament games in the towns (the ones you can play once your reputation is high enough), don't be afraid to walk away from the table while you're up. Sometimes it's enough to win a couple hands and walk away with $100 or so - it keeps you from losing reputation in town and keeps feeding your coffer instead of draining it. It's not necessary to be the last person left at that table...the important thing is to leave ahead (and I frequently would leave the table immediately following a hand where I won a house from another player).

The big thing to remember is that you should be having fun...it's a game. If you're playing and you're frustrated and upset...it's time to quit.

edited to correct typo.

Edited on 03/13/2012 at 9:24:25 AM PST

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Mar 31, 12 5:22 AM
chumface wrote:
chazzer47 wrote:Other readers of these posts should not pay attention the above mentioned "strategies" They are wrong. I don't have the answers to winning this phoney and monotonous card game, but what is listed above will not win it for you either.

Gee chazzer47, you have 29 posts and I bet most of them are trash talking this game!

Not to mention, being a little "mean spirited" to others. rdrhea said, at the beginning of this thread, that the strategy does not always work. I wonder how many times you have tried it. Can you, without a doubt, prove the strategy is wrong? I used a similar strategy and beat the game! Come on! We know it,s not real poker but, if some have fun playing, didn't they get their "moneys worth"? You act as if you are really losing your own money when you lose a hand...

I posted a simple review that stated the game was fun, and your reply was...

"Wait till you've played it awhile and see just how phoney the game is, then decide how "fun" the game is. If you still think it is a good, fun game then I'd hate to see your idea of a truly bad game."
The last line of your reply was an insult to me, not the game!

I agree, if he hates this game so much why does he waste so much of his time on this blog writing about it and being so mean about his comments. If you are not having fun playing a game, I think its time to find another game

[Post New]by laurieplayer on Apr 10, 12 10:03 AM
chazzer47 You just cant play . your a sore loooooser.

Go to: