DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for The Missing: A Search and Rescue Mystery

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 24, 11 12:16 AM
Hi there all.
Wow, this is a "fast" release. The CE version was only released on July 8 and here we have the SE!
Don't those of "us" who are waiting for the SE versions of games wish it was always as fast as this (OK, probably faster or at the same time, but hey, this IS better)?
Well, I have to admit that I did not purchase the CE and thought I would opt for the SE as it just didn't seem to offer the challenge etc I expected. Now that it is here, guess I had better give it another chance.
Cheers

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Comments for The Missing: A Search and Rescue Mystery

[Post New]by grannyq on Jul 24, 11 12:50 AM
I thought the same thing DragonladyOz, but as I tried it again it's not grabbing me. I,ll try again later after I judge the length. I may be bored because I,m having to start over.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 24, 11 1:03 AM
@gellyitaly, wouldn't it be a real feather in BFG's cap if this was to be the standard time for SEs in the future?

@grannyq, yes, it is more than a nuisance when the CE and SE versions of games are treated as different when it comes to having to play them again. But I suppose you could get further in an hour trial rather than a CE Sample!!

Edited to note: Hmm a post has been deleted here!

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 1:44:20 AM PST

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Jul 24, 11 1:04 AM
No buy or even try for me. Screen is practically taller than it is wide. Maybe a res change would fix it... but I'm not going to do it for a game.

I just tried the other games mentioned in the "more" section of this game. All work okay. But, they have the original Felix logo.

Edited on 07/24/2011 at 1:35:59 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 24, 11 1:10 AM
Hi there SoozUSA,
I seem to remember having problems with the screen settings which did not enable me to access the lower part of the screen. Changing the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 worked then.
Usually games automatically reset your screen resolution to enable you to play.
There was a new build for the CE, but I havn't checked to see if this was one of the problems fixed.
Please make sure that you post this in the official Technical Problems forum when it is available.
Cheers.

Edited on 07/24/2011 at 1:17:28 AM PST

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Jul 24, 11 1:48 AM
@ DragonLadyOZ Thanks for the tip. I tried it and it worked. But I didn't play the game.

I always have my res at 1600 x 900 (recommended for my monitor.) I don't care if games play or not. If they do play then maybe I'll buy them otherwise nope. I refuse to change the res just because some stupid game developer messed up. I might post in tech thread later.

DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there SoozUSA,
I seem to remember having problems with the screen settings which did not enable me to access the lower part of the screen. Changing the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 worked then.
Usually games automatically reset your screen resolution to enable you to play.
There was a new build for the CE, but I haven't checked to see if this was one of the problems fixed.
Please make sure that you post this in the official Technical Problems forum when it is available.
Cheers.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 24, 11 2:32 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:@gellyitaly, wouldn't it be a real feather in BFG's cap if this was to be the standard time for SEs in the future?

@grannyq, yes, it is more than a nuisance when the CE and SE versions of games are treated as different when it comes to having to play them again. But I suppose you could get further in an hour trial rather than a CE Sample!!

I have just played the SE version and I did get a lot further this time and have now found 2 of the students and am perhaps on the verge of discovering the professor but decided to explore upstairs before looking downstairs for some strange reason. Anyway I am going to do what my original notes said and that is to buy but not as a CE.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Jul 24, 11 2:49 AM
Having tried the CE version, I was able to skip the cutscenes and race through the puzzles, H0s, etc. I got to the Professor's Mansion, and my "Hero" spoke to him, as well as having a look around before the time ran out. The game gets progressively better, and the puzzles are interesting. I have now purchased the game, and am happy to recommend it. My only complaint is yet another THE title. As I'm sure many do, I list my games in alphabetical order, and there are way too many T's. Please BF, can't you make your Game Manager ignore the prefix THE? Scrolling through them all is a nightmare!

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Jul 24, 11 2:51 AM
WOW ! SE is released a week or so after the CE? I had to double check, I wasn't imagining things. CE was that great, huh? No takers? What happened? ??? Everyone finally got burnt out on seeing/playing another game about "how many groups of students can get lost"? I hope this is a sign we can move on to a new creative storyline. Thank you.

Hopefully someday will release CE/SE's on the same day, so all can participate in the excitement of a new game everyday.

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Jul 24, 11 4:02 AM
Hi everyone,

Just played demo for 30 min, enjoyed game just fine, only found one problem I can not play in full screen mode so I will not buy it, to bad because I really like the game, but I hate changing my resolution, and I should not have to. It is only a buy for me if they fix this. If you do not mind changing your resolution or playing in the smaller screen mode than I think you may enjoy game. I wonder if this is why they released the SE so soon, maybe not enough people bought the CE.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 24, 11 4:40 AM
I had already decided to wait for the SE to come out and was happy to see it so soon, but here I am again with black bars on the sides. I have probably 100 games that do not do this, and this is the second one within a couple of weeks that does. I have to think about it. I'm not changing my screen resolution for every game I play.

lyn58
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by lyn58 on Jul 24, 11 6:08 AM
I managed to dl but nothing happens when I click on objects in the **** scenes. Happened in the ce also. So disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Jul 24, 11 6:10 AM
Really surprised to see this released already. Never tried the CE version so I guess I'll try this now. Wishful thinking that will ever release both CE's and SE's at the same time but it would be nice if they shorten the day's between releases to even a week....

Happy Gaming All

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 24, 11 6:46 AM
i think that the game was released faster because it is not as good of a game. the better games wait awhile to make more money.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 24, 11 7:29 AM
Didn't try the CE but am enjoying the SE quite a lot. Two games (not CE's) worth buying in two days? That's not happened for a while! Story is interesting, graphics not bad, plenty to explore and find, can't wait to find out who or what the 'creature' is, so overall worth a credit.

I never change the res on my monitor. If the game adjusts to widescreen or has an option for it, all well and good. If it doesn't, I live with the black bars. Royal Envoy has bars down the side, albeit patterned ones. Imagine missing that because it didn't fill the screen!

I always assumed the release of an SE depended on sales of the CE. If it doesn't sell too well, put out the SE. I do wonder though why Collector's Editions are never sold at a lower price. Why not have a 'CE Of The Week' selling at standard game price?

praireraven
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,707 Posts

[Post New]by praireraven on Jul 24, 11 9:08 AM
i have come to the conclusion that i do not like games set in modern
times, I like the gothic games,so no more games set in todays time

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 24, 11 10:48 AM
This is a really good game! I'm not sure why I didn't even try the demo when it first came out as a CE but I'm glad I waited. I'm sure the CE version is very nice but I'm having a good time playing the SE. Very nice graphics, excellent music, good story, and the hints recharge quickly and give you just enough info to gently pull you in the right direction. Definitely a nice way to pass a lazy Sunday afternoon.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 24, 11 11:17 AM
I played the Demo and loved the game,Thx so much DEV's and BF, I can't afford CE's anymore so I will have to wait for SE's to come out..The price of living has changed so much, I always love standing behind BF If and when I could..
This game is a buy..

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 24, 11 1:39 PM
I wonder when 3hrs became an OK length for a SE?

Not that long ago - before CEs, adventure hogs usually took about 5-6hrs and that was the acceptable length. Now it seems some CEs are the original SE game length, and cutting the game play for the SE version.

5-6hrs gameplay is what I look for in a SE! If it's an excellent game at 3hrs length I may buy it as a DD.

I just hope this isn't a trend.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 24, 11 4:55 PM
gingergal wrote:I wonder when 3hrs became an OK length for a SE?

Not that long ago - before CEs, adventure hogs usually took about 5-6hrs and that was the acceptable length. Now it seems some CEs are the original SE game length, and cutting the game play for the SE version.

5-6hrs gameplay is what I look for in a SE! If it's an excellent game at 3hrs length I may buy it as a DD.

I just hope this isn't a trend.

heck, a lot of ce,s are that short, its why i stopped buying them, i fear it is a trend...

Go to: