bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Review for Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 28, 11 12:28 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Review for Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 28, 11 12:38 AM
New game manager from BF. Not sure if I like it better but it is different. Here are the facts as I have been able to assess.

Game is about a girl who is in quest of finding what happened to an opera house somewhere in Europe. For those of you who do not like ghost, ghoulies and creepy environments, this is NOT for you. However, if you do like the above, this is an absolutely fabulous game. I have already bought it and I haven't bought a CE in awhile. Worth the price.

Size: 485,000 mb. Large game.
Graphics: Clear and easy to find items Beautiful graphics.
HOGS: You need to find parts of items to combine in this puzzle.
Voice and Music. There is voice and the music isn't annoying for a change.
Puzzles: Haven't encountered any as yet, but you do have to use inventory.

Made by Blue Tea Games. Not familiar with them, but this seems like an excellent one. Grade: A+

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 28, 11 12:41 AM
Wonderful game, i have a very high expectations on this game cuz it's developed by Blue Tea Games the developer of Enlightenus and Dark Parables series and i really love them. Yes, this game has manage to reach my expectations and maybe above my expectations! Graphics are truly enchanting, fantastic - i really love the music of the game, FROG scenes are not hard most of the objects are easy enough to find, animations and effects are gorgeous and the story of the game is really entertaining. Every single scene are well-made,very detailed and super beautiful! This game is surely one of the best game this year, maybe not the best HOG ever (but nearly) but definitely the best FROG ever! This is a MUST HAVE!!!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
FROG Scenes: A*
Puzzles: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Warrington16
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Warrington16 on Jul 28, 11 12:48 AM
I liked this game, nice graphics, and the story was okay. It had all the stuff I like about these kind of games, except ... I don't like frogs. So maybe later but not CE.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 28, 11 12:51 AM
I enjoy voice over games and this one has great voice over. Great controls and nice graphics. Althought the graphics are so similar in color it is sometimes hard to find items. We've seen the story before. Not a big fan of the time period. The animations are very well done. Overall it's a nice game. But I will wait til the SE comes out. I will hold out til they release the SE's of all these CE. lol It's a must try for sure and I'm sure it will be a buy for many as it will for myself when it's released as a SE. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

P.S. The only reasone I didn't give this my best rating of "Fine Swine", is because of the sparkles. We like to have the option of turning them off. But this is a beautiful game and I'm sure everyone will like it.

Edited on 07/29/2011 at 11:15:03 PM PST

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Jul 28, 11 1:04 AM
Beautifully done game. Nice voice overs, lovely music and spooky story. What more can a fishie ask for? Definite buy here.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Jul 28, 11 1:08 AM
I've played for 40 minutes and am still in chapter one. H O's are all pictures and the colors of gold and silver not always representative of what you will find. It has a quick recharge for the hint system. The map will tell you areas where there are things to explore but you can't use it to move there. The story is unfolding nicely and is interesting. The guide shows 6 chapters plus the bonus. At the rate I'm progressing this looks like a buy for me. Happy Day Gaming!!!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 28, 11 1:09 AM
Wow, what a beautiful game! I love it and bought it. It's spooky and it gives me goosepimples.

I like the games from Blue Tea.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jul 28, 11 1:13 AM
This is an absolutely beautiful game! Good voice-overs, intriguing story (although we've seen similar ones before), clear and fabulous graphics and a spooky atmosphere.

A 5 game from Blue Tea, worth the CE price.

Thank you developers, for this attractive game!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jul 28, 11 1:14 AM
The developer is Blue Tea Games, one of my absolute favorites. Its an iFrog and I usually cannot stand iFrog's but when it comes to Blue Tea Games, I LOVE them so don't be afraid to try it, at least. It has the same set up as the Dark Parable games. It has voiceovers, beautiful graphics, a new plotline we haven't seen before, beautiful iFrog scenes but there is no choice of difficulty that I could find. That being said there are sparkles but they are unobtrusive to the point I didn't care they were there but at the same time for me to buy a CE, I want to be able to choose my level of difficulty, to be blunt, a hard level. There are 6 chapters and a bonus level and the usual things we see like a widescreen option & you can get rid of the custom cursor if you feel like it. IF its anything like their other games, you can expect it to be worth the value of a CE as it will be a good length but I can't get over the no difficulty choice. IF the developers put one in, I will buy the CE otherwise I will be waiting for the SE. Also, I absolutely LOVE developers who release their games on mac the same day as pc. It is absolutely awful having to wait 4-6 months for other developers to release to mac therefore since I have both, I generally just buy it on pc but I love the option of having it for the console I play most (mac). Overall an awesome game.

edited to make sense. leaving out words lol

Edited on 07/28/2011 at 1:15:22 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 28, 11 1:32 AM
Blue Tea Games brought us Dark Parables the Exiled Prince, which was a CE and very nice as I remember. This looks to be just as excellent. I also noticed the new stub that BF downloaded for me. It's so they can do more advertising. Made for those of us who don't come to BF every day to check and see if we have a new hidden object game and always going away disappointed.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 28, 11 1:34 AM
Everything has been said pretty much already (good reviews!), so I just have to add: holy guacamole, this game isbeautiful! The artwork is really amazing. I loved previous games by this same developer, but the artwork on this one is even better than their other games.

I really like that the game is a mix of traditional hidden object scenes, fragmented object scenes, and adventure. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Blue Tea Games has made the FROG scenes harder than in their previous games, which I like! The pieces of items don't really stick out as much as in other FROG games. The music is pretty good, and I really like the voiceovers. The storyline is actually interesting, despite being another game where you explore a creepy, rundown building. Like others said, I'm really glad that they put out the Mac and PC versions on the same day!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 28, 11 2:04 AM
CasualGran wrote:This is an absolutely beautiful game! Good voice-overs, intriguing story (although we've seen similar ones before), clear and fabulous graphics and a spooky atmosphere.

Thanks, Casual, join the club...

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 28, 11 2:21 AM
Imberis wrote:Everything has been said pretty much already (good reviews!), so I just have to add: holy guacamole, this game isbeautiful! The artwork is really amazing. I loved previous games by this same developer, but the artwork on this one is even better than their other games.

I really like that the game is a mix of traditional hidden object scenes, fragmented object scenes, and adventure. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Blue Tea Games has made the FROG scenes harder than in their previous games, which I like! The pieces of items don't really stick out as much as in other FROG games. The music is pretty good, and I really like the voiceovers. The storyline is actually interesting, despite being another game where you explore a creepy, rundown building. Like others said, I'm really glad that they put out the Mac and PC versions on the same day!

Totally agree! I don't usually like FROGS - but like you say there is a mixture. Loved the other games by this developer.

Loved the HOG dini portrait!! And love all the little animations. AND there's morphing objects!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 28, 11 3:03 AM
CasualGran wrote:This is an absolutely beautiful game! Good voice-overs, intriguing story (although we've seen similar ones before), clear and fabulous graphics and a spooky atmosphere.

I'm in a hurry so pinching your review Gran to just say I completely agree with you . Their attention to the tiniest details in the FROG pieces that you have to find is absolutely wonderful and thus this game is worthy of the CE price IMO without any extras whatsovever. It's a top quality game

Cherb

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 28, 11 3:32 AM
TeamSD wrote:Wonderful game, i have a very high expectations on this game cuz it's developed by Blue Tea Games the developer of Enlightenus and Dark Parables series and i really love them. Yes, this game has manage to reach my expectations and maybe above my expectations! Graphics are truly enchanting, fantastic - i really love the music of the game, FROG scenes are not hard most of the objects are easy enough to find, animations and effects are gorgeous and the story of the game is really entertaining. Every single scene are well-made,very detailed and super beautiful! This game is surely one of the best game this year, maybe not the best HOG ever (but nearly) but definitely the best FROG ever! This is a MUST HAVE!!!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
FROG Scenes: A*
Puzzles: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Didn't need to read any further than the developer's name to convince me. Good review, thanks!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 28, 11 3:39 AM
Game is excellent BUT why no casual or advanced option? Too much hand holding as well. And those 'sparkles'...I hate sparkles. Do not like to be thought of by the devs as too stupid to fathom it out by myself!
Superb graphics, music, HOG scenes etc.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 28, 11 3:56 AM
I really love this game. Its one of my favourite developers and a great game. Graphic is really good, gameplay also, storyline too. Its a buy for me

Terrenis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Terrenis on Jul 28, 11 4:12 AM
I've now played 20 minutes of the game and I must say it's really beautiful. But I will wait for the SE. Can't afford the CE now...unfortunately.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jul 28, 11 4:29 AM
I love the game, but that new Game Manager is going to take a lot of getting used to. It's too "in your face" and I can't find anything yet - I'd rather spend my time playing the games than figuring out the new GM. It's too big, I hit "install game" twice because I didn't relaize it was already downloading (THAT part is tiny) and I'm just having an unreasonable hissy fit about the whole thing.

OK, got THAT out of my system.

So far, the only thing I don't like about the game is that you control the ambient sound and the music with the same slider in Options. I usually turn the music down but I like to hear the birds chirping and the ghoulies screaming.

Heck - it's got morphing objects!!! What else does it need? I even found one so far!

Great graphics, suitably spooky music, lots to do and lots of wandering around trying to figure out where you need the stuff you collect in inventory.

And to top it off, this completes another punch card for me! If (by some mirace) BFG offers 3 great SE H0 games by Sunday, I'll buy one of the other CE games I've been waiting to buy, but at least for now I'm happy to find such a great game to fill out my card.

Go to: