bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Nightmare Realm

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jul 29, 11 12:33 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Nightmare Realm? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Realm

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 29, 11 1:12 AM
I copied this from the CE version Forum. I absolutely loved this game and would recommend it to any one

Developer: LESTA Games. Options: Sliders for Music, Effects and Environmental Effects (Background noises); Also tick boxes for Custom Cursor, Aspect Ratio and Full Screen. Text to read. It would have been absolutely brilliant had the developer made use of Voice-overs. I really think it would have added to this game a lot. I’m using Win 7 HP 64 bit. No glitches or Technical Faults, and my screen was ‘Full Screen’. I also played in 'Expert' Mode. Sparkles at H0 scenes only. Only room for 7 letters of your name!

Artwork: Clear and beautifully done. At times, shades of Dali surrealism, at others reminiscent of the fantasy artwork of Rodney Matthews. And I loved it.

Story: Father, 4 yr old daughter and Uncle travelling in car, rock slide caused by a malevolent being called an Extractor! Car ends up on edge of cliff, and the Father dies! (Extracted perhaps) and now, four years later ‘they’ want Emily! Mother and Uncle go ‘into the picture’ to get her back.

Do not ever leave a 'Man' just standing there! They will always find some dumb way to get into a 'fix' and expect a woman to get them out of it! The couple of mini-games I played were quite easy, and I had no problem working out what to do. I just loved the extra inter-activity of the H0 scenes, and also finding and collecting the ‘Origami’ figures

I absolutely wanted this game after playing the demo. It drew me in from the start, and I exited from the demo with 10 minutes ‘left on the clock’, not because the demo finished and my time was up, but because I didn’t want to carry on playing and then be unceremoniously dumped out of the game in a place where I would be unable to resist buying it immediately, as I didn't want to start a new Punch Card at that moment.

I did buy it the next day as it was the start of the month and I am so pleased I did. See for yourself, get drawn into a different world and a different reality. Superb, definitely a 5X game

Kel

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 29, 11 1:20 AM
This is such a cool game. The graphics are amazing. The story is fantastic and kinda different from what we've seen. There is no voice over which would have made it a top game. But it's still a great game. It might be kinda easy for some, but it plays so well it doesn't matter. I just love this game. It is a buy for me and for sure should be a try for everyone. I guess everyone bought the CE from last nights game. But I really love this game. I have to give it my best rating even though it doesn't have voice over. Has widescreen and and expert mode with now sparkles. I know this matter's to people the most. This is a great game! Don't pass this little beauty up. Enjoy!

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

P.S. I don't buy CE's but I think I might have to buy the CE of this game. It seems like it might be worth it. This is one awsome game and a must have no matter CE or SE.

Edited on 07/29/2011 at 3:07:16 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 29, 11 1:22 AM
Purchased the CE version and love it. Fantastic graphics and storyline, great great gameplay, decent length, cool puzzles, good HOG scenes, very good music, overall i really really love this game, will recommend it to any HOGfans.....

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A*
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 29, 11 1:31 AM
Hi there,
If you haven't read Kel's review of this game, please do so.
This is a great game, and apart from being "dark and mysterious", there are also some glorious whimsical moments when "situations" are resolved.
I would highly recommend that if you like this style of game that you at least trial it - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers

Edited on 07/29/2011 at 1:33:12 AM PST

loudlife
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by loudlife on Jul 29, 11 1:31 AM
I really looking forward to playing it, thanks for the reviews!
(If I can get past the horrible new game manager.)

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Jul 29, 11 1:59 AM
I remember playing this as a CE and really enjoying - unfortunately, I didn't have the to buy it I've just checked the size of the CE to the SE - 453 to 217! That seems to me to be a big difference in size. Can anyone tell me whether the CE is bigger because of the extras or because there's lots more story than the SE? Thanks

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Jul 29, 11 2:56 AM
tatsu1952 wrote:I remember playing this as a CE and really enjoying - unfortunately, I didn't have the to buy it I've just checked the size of the CE to the SE - 453 to 217! That seems to me to be a big difference in size. Can anyone tell me whether the CE is bigger because of the extras or because there's lots more story than the SE? Thanks
Thanks for bringing that up Tatsu1952 I was curious too about that now that there have been so many discussions on the endings and so forth on some odf the other games.Fishies will have to help each other with this subject Doof

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 29, 11 2:58 AM
tatsu1952 wrote:I remember playing this as a CE and really enjoying - unfortunately, I didn't have the to buy it I've just checked the size of the CE to the SE - 453 to 217! That seems to me to be a big difference in size. Can anyone tell me whether the CE is bigger because of the extras or because there's lots more story than the SE? Thanks

I copied this from [removed by moderator] which is a casual games review site, it says

[removed by moderator]

They've give this game a 4 and a half out of 5 stars rate and i agree with them all the way. If you're currently looking for good CE because you have a limited so this is the one!!!

Happy Gaming

Edited on 08/09/2011 at 11:39:19 AM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jul 29, 11 3:03 AM
I bought this game when the CE version came out, and I can highly recommend this game!

Kelvarda already gave an excellent description of the story line, and I agree that the graphics are just gorgeous! There is a delightful transformation that takes place fairly early in the story that is breathtaking. Very creative work from this developer.

I found myself smiling, no... grinning, through much of this game. Don't pass this up if you like what you see in the demo. I usually delete games when I'm done, and keep only 4 or 5 of the very best games on my game manager. This is one of them! It's probably the 3rd best game of the year, in my opinion, a 5 star game!

maryerbe
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by maryerbe on Jul 29, 11 3:04 AM
this game is ok i think the graphics could be better i did not care for it ,for me it moved to slow a no buy for me .enjoy your day

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Jul 29, 11 3:10 AM
TeamSD wrote:

I copied this from [removed by moderator] which is a casual games review site, it says

[removed by moderator]

They've give this game a 4 and a half out of 5 stars rate and i agree with them all the way. If you're currently looking for good CE because you have a limited so this is the one!!!

Happy Gaming

Thanks for that TeamSD, seems like it's worth buying the CE after all. Should I buy it now and be 2 games short for my punch cards credits or wait until the 1st of the month? Oh decisions, decisions, decisions Trouble is, patience was never my strong suit

Edited on 08/09/2011 at 11:41:13 AM PST

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Jul 29, 11 3:28 AM
OK, I think I lasted about 5 minutes before I relented and bought the CE I'll work on my patience tomorrow

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jul 29, 11 3:33 AM
TeamSD, are you confusing this with another game perhaps? The CE version that I played does NOT place the bonus in the middle of the game. The bonus game is after the regular game, and is played through the eyes of a completely different character than the main game.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 29, 11 3:36 AM
TeamSD wrote:

[removed by moderator]

Happy Gaming

Their review seems unnecessarily harsh, I found the story pretty straightforward and I didn't find it confusing at all. And I played the main game for much longer than three hours... maybe that's why I didn't find it 'convoluted and confusing.' I also didn't find anything unpleasant about it but then I guess I'm biased since I like this game so much.

In any case, I highly recommend this, I think it's one of the best I've ever played.

Edited on 08/09/2011 at 11:41:46 AM PST

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Jul 29, 11 3:51 AM
Lady_Cav wrote:TeamSD, are you confusing this with another game perhaps? The CE version that I played does NOT place the bonus in the middle of the game. The bonus game is after the regular game, and is played through the eyes of a completely different character than the main game.

I just read the review that TeamSD quoted and it does say that the bonus bit appears midway thru' the game. It'll be interesting to see just where it does fit in. Now I'm off to spend a couple of hours happily gaming Cheers.

jyannis
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by jyannis on Jul 29, 11 3:59 AM
Got the CE for this one, and I definitely think it's a great buy. If the CE price tag is a bit high for some and you have a spare game credit lying around AND you're a HOG/adventure fan - get this game. It has gorgeous graphics - ranging from surreal, fantasy-like realms to the more gothic/dark settings, a good, solid story (even if it's heavier and deals with rather serious and real issues as compared to other HOGs) and gameplay that is integrated, smooth and mostly makes sense.

This is definitely one of my top games for the year so far. I haven't heard of the developer before though - if this is their debut (HOG) game, it's certainly a bang!

The bonus chapter is another POV of the main story - a good addition but definitely not integral as the storyline goes, so you won't be missing out a lot with the SE.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 29, 11 4:06 AM
Lady_Cav wrote:TeamSD, are you confusing this with another game perhaps? The CE version that I played does NOT place the bonus in the middle of the game. The bonus game is after the regular game, and is played through the eyes of a completely different character than the main game.

Umm..you're right, the bonus chapter isn't in the middle of the game (That is Voodoo!). I think the poster is confusing LOL

Edited on 07/29/2011 at 4:13:19 AM PST

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Jul 29, 11 4:10 AM
jyannis wrote:

The bonus chapter is another POV of the main story - a good addition but definitely not integral as the storyline goes, so you won't be missing out a lot with the SE.

Thanks jyannis - This is the information I needed to hear.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Jul 29, 11 4:19 AM
game resembles the CEquite a bit. this demo was really short. 15 min. of play.

Go to: