bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Astroslugs

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 2, 11 12:39 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Astroslugs? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for Astroslugs

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 2, 11 2:37 AM
Pros:
You can choose between different screen solutions, that a big plus for me
You can choose between different languages in option

Contras:
I don`t like the gameplay very much - its a nice puzzle game, but a little bit too easy for me.

Happy gaming everyone

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Aug 2, 11 4:03 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:
- its a nice puzzle game, but a little bit too easy for me.

Happy gaming everyone

I agree. I played about 10 minutes of the game and plan to go back and play more...but it does seem pretty simple.

Actually, this is the type of game that I really like. It's untimed (I think! I didn't notice a timer!), I have to think, and it's a bit different than the run of the mill games. When I finish the hour I'll be back with more info.

perrik
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by perrik on Aug 2, 11 5:52 AM
The graphics and music are fun (if you like slugs, anyway), and the gameplay itself is simple to learn. I don't see this game having any real replay value unless you wait until you've forgotten the puzzle solutions.

I might pick this one up as a Daily Deal, but not as a regular purchase.

jlanger78
Marlin
Marlin
9,474 Posts

[Post New]by jlanger78 on Aug 2, 11 7:51 AM
I have played this game for a few days now online at a different site, I really like the concept. you have to fill in a pattern using the provided shapes, I also didn't see a timer for it.
I found that once I got past the opening levels (the learning the basics ones) maybe level ten or so, our space ship had taken off for the third location... of all the levels available at the third location, I could only EASILY complete one, and I replayed a few of them a bunch of times. So for those of you who gave it up as too simple after ten minutes I urge you to try it again.

I personally can't wait to see what LizzieK has to say about this one

I will try BFGs version to make sure they are the same, as I will most likely buy it from here as it's a cute game

Edited on 08/02/2011 at 7:53:10 AM PST

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Aug 2, 11 10:59 AM
Love it!
Nice graphics, fun music and sounds effects, a good challenge! Wakes my brain up

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 2, 11 12:02 PM
jlanger78 wrote:I personally can't wait to see what LizzieK has to say about this one
As soon as I get home from work I will give it a try. I love puzzle games so I hope this is a good one!

[Post New]by Serf2CavSpaniel on Aug 2, 11 8:17 PM
Don't be fooled into thinking this is some easy-peasy kiddie game that stays at the same level of non-challenge throughout. I stuck it out until the end of my hour trial and found this was one fun little puzzler. It starts out very elementary to show you how to play and the various shapes you use and then goes on from there. The puzzles are worth "points" depending on their level of difficulty, beginning with 1. I saw (but didn't try to play) puzzles that went as high as 8 points before my trial ran out. I had to redo the 4 pt. puzzles a couple of times before arriving at the correct solution.
It'll certainly be worth spending a punchcard credit to put Astroslugs into my collection, since this sort of untimed brain-teaser is exactly my cup of Earl Grey with honey and cream (served quite warm in a flowery bone china cup. pinkie up!).
The whole idea is to fit a number of straight and angled linear shapes into a matrix or group of matrices perfectly. It will remind some seasoned H0G and FR0G players of those mini-games where an object must be reassembled from it's gathered parts into a frame. You have the ability to rotate and mirror the shapes to fit. You can also right-click to remove an object and a reset button to start over completely, both without penalty.
The artwork is bright, engaging and cartoonlike. The SFX are appropriately goofy and fun. All in all, a lot of enjoyment for this puzzle-lover. I'd say give it a try. Best of all, these slugs won't eat your petunias!

EmmaLynne
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by EmmaLynne on Aug 2, 11 10:09 PM
Yes, this gets much more difficult as the levels progress, don't be fooled by the first few levels! I'm having a lot of difficulty at the +4 puzzles. I mostly enjoy hidden object adventures, but get bored with the super easy puzzles the offer, so it's nice to wrap my brain around something like this from time to time. And I think there may be some good replay value in this as there often seem to be multiple ways to solve the boards.

Fun game, just not sure about purchasing yet....

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 11 11:14 AM
I really like this game. It is challenging for me. There are 44 levels in the game so it should be a good bit of entertainment that will last a long time. If you think it is too easy just keep playing, it definitely gets harder.

The puzzles are not timed so you can take all the time you need and then some to work out the puzzles. It looks like there are four areas to explore in the game. Each area has 6 to 9 regular puzzles and when you complete them you can go back into that area and play 2 more bonus puzzles. You can go to the next area when you complete the regular puzzles and come back later to play the bonus puzzles if you like.

The only problem is that there are no hints and no skip option. You can’t go forward in the game if you get stuck. I have uploaded videos of the solutions to youtube. The music and graphics are good but I could have done without the fireworks after each puzzle. It also takes a bit of time for each new puzzle to load.

I'm glad I bought it.

Edited on 08/07/2011 at 5:29:41 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 6, 11 3:47 AM
I just finished playing the hour demo. I like the overall game graphics and aesthetics. And the gameplay does seem different from any other game I've played, and I appreciate that.

The worst thing for me was how much time I spent looking at the end of round graphics and the loading screen between rounds. It's a no buy for me, based on that. Whether that's just how *my* computer acts, I don't know.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 7, 11 5:28 AM
The "You got energy" graphics bugged me too in the beginning but I got used to it and it didn't bother me anymore. Also, the game doesn't do those graphics again when you replay levels.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Aug 7, 11 11:07 AM

I get to dip my fingers in multi-colored slug goo and make cool shapes while sipping a margarita? I gotta have this game.

Go to: