Please suggest BEST Nancy Drew game for me here!!!

[Post New]by ibjen1980 on Aug 2, 11 5:29 PM
Hi I'm play tons of hidden object/adventure games, but I've never played a Nancy Drew large file game because I can't play a trial first...so I wanted some opinions on which Nancy Drew is the best? I'm looking for one that offers well-rounded experience...good balance of hidden object and adventure, challenging but not impossible, and takes as long as possible to complete- want it to be worth my $$...any suggestions? All would be greatly appreciated!!! !

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

Re:Please suggest BEST Nancy Drew game for me here!!!

[Post New]by jenkast on Aug 2, 11 5:41 PM
The Nancy Drew adventure series does not have any Hidden Objects scenes in it. They are strictly point and click adventures/mysteries. There are a few with some tough puzzles and some with third person mini games. If you want a more casual game then maybe check out The Nancy Drew Dossier series. Those are pretty good too, but not as long as the original series.

There are 20+ Nancy Drew games so it's really hard to choose or say which on is the best. Opinions very.

My personal favorites are some older titles such as 'Treasure in the Royal Tower,' 'Message in a Haunted Mansion,' 'Danger on Deception Island,' 'White Wolf of Icicle Creek,' and 'The haunted Carousel.'

If you want to see how they play the developers (herinteractive) have some demos for the newer ones. You could even check out some videos or reviews on YouTube.

Good luck on your choice, most of the games in the series are worth the money!

Edited on 08/02/2011 at 5:42:26 PM PST

[Post New]by ibjen1980 on Aug 2, 11 6:47 PM
[b]Wow what a great reply!! Thank you so much for giving me a good, in-depth, serious answer to my Q....you Rock! Is there a way to add u as a forum friend or something if I have future Q's? I'm new to the forums so I don't know much about it...thanks again for the response - your suggestions & tips will be a big help im my decision! Thanks fellow-gamer!! [

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Aug 2, 11 7:18 PM
Your welcome, glad I could help!

I don't know of any way to 'friend' someone on here, but I know we can add other fishies to our 'address book.' If you click on my user name it will show a page with other posts and threads I have started/commented it. There is a purple envelope at the top right of the page for PMing and an 'add to address book' button next to it. I added you to mine.

Have fun on the forums and welcome to the Pond!

[Post New]by wcraig919 on Aug 5, 11 1:42 AM
Crystal skull was my favb

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 5, 11 5:13 AM
Hi and WELCOME to the pond!

I totally hate Nancy Drew games,because I found them all impossible to complete even using walkthroughs! I gave my 5 discs to my oldest daughter.

However I actually enjoyed Nancy Drew Dossier: Lights,Camera,Curses,so you might also. There are Loads of H0 you must find and interact with. I still had to have my son do the drink mixing puzzle,as my reflexes are not fast enough,and the one with the crows is waiting for him to do. Like all ND you cannot skip puzzles,ARRRGH!

Edited on 08/05/2011 at 8:42:50 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 5, 11 8:34 AM
Ibjen, I have written it numerous times, but I hope it's helpful for you too.

The two dossiers are a little bit easier than the normal series. It actually fits your description of a mixture between HOG and Adventure since you will have to find a number of objects in a scene and then logically link them together. For example you have to find a board with loose screws and a screwdriver, and then click the two objects to link them together. Repeat without mistakes to make a long chain that nets you the maximum of points. You can demo the first in the series, Lights, Camera, Curses either here or at the developer's page. Unfortunately, this series stops at 2 since HI seems to have scrapped it.

About the adventures, there are some issues to mind:

- There is no skip - if you are stuck on a riddle you are stuck.
- However, usually you can call either Ned, Bess & George or the Hardy Boys for help...
- ...which can or may not be useful.
- Also, there are a lot of walkthroughs around the net - just google the name of the game and add "walkthrough".
- If you like to take down notes, play the early games.
- If not, avoid anything up to "Secret of the Scarlet Hand" like the pest.
- Starting with "Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake" you have a mobile phone / task list that gives hints where to go next and what you still have to do.
- Mind that the earliest games came out in 2001 and 2002. So graphics-wise those are *really* outdated.
- Every game in the series that I've played until now had at least one "impossible" riddle in it. (Have been able to solve it with a walkthrough.)

My favourite:

Warnings at Waverly Academy. Liked the lunch minigame, the logic trainer puzzle, having to puzzle a USA map together and especially the school atmosphere. BUT: The two riddles in the basement are impossible - and nobody could ever explain the logic behind them to me.

For an easy entry into the series: Trail of the Twister
However: You *really* have to like logic puzzles. (Plus, it helps if you are into the stuff since the storyline is a tad flat.)

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 5, 11 8:41 AM
If like me you find the Nancy Drew Impossible to finish,several have said that the Agatha Christie games are much easier. I only have Agatha Christie: Peril At End House which I love and replay often,but it is a straight H0G with a few simple puzzles.

DutchJames
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by DutchJames on Aug 5, 11 11:08 AM
Here's how the developer helps to choose a game you want to buy:

Westerns? Then take a gander at the Game Reviews for The Secret of Shadow Ranch and Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon.

Spooky locations? Then pop into the Game Reviews for Message in a Haunted Mansion, Curse of Blackmoor Manor or The Haunting of Castle Malloy.

Historical stuff? Maybe stop by the Game Reviews for Treasure in the Royal Tower or Secret of the Scarlet Hand.

Outdoors stuff like the beach or snow? Then stop by the Game Reviews for White Wolf of Icicle Creek, Creature of Kapu Cave, Danger on Deception Island.

Are you interested in acting or drama? Then swing by the Game Reviews for Stay Tuned for Danger or The Final Scene.

How about Fashion? Then stop by the Game Reviews for Danger by Design.

Maybe you don’t have a whole lot of time and want to play a game that moves pretty quickly. So maybe read the Game Reviews for The Haunted Carousel or Secret of the Old Clock.

Is it a dark and stormy night out? In the mood for something kinda spooky? Give Legend of the Crystal Skull a try.

Maybe you find international crime of interest or learning a different language. Try reading the reviews on The Phantom of Venice or Shadow at the Water's Edge.

What about a tropical get-a-way? Check out the reviews for Ransom of the Seven Ships.

Do you enjoy the high school scene and the drama that can go on? Read the reviews for Secrets Can Kill where it all began, Secrets Can Kill (REMASTERED) or Warnings at Waverly Academy.

Are you fascinated by stormy weather and nature? Learn more playing Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake and Trail of the Twister. Or check out the reviews first.

DutchJames
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by DutchJames on Aug 5, 11 11:12 AM
soblessed57 wrote: If like me you find the Nancy Drew Impossible to finish,several have said that the Agatha Christie games are much easier. I only have Agatha Christie: Peril At End House which I love and replay often,but it is a
straight H0G with a few simple puzzles.

There is a difference between the straight HOG games like Peril At End House, Death On The Nile, Dead Man's Folly and 4.50 from Paddington and the more adventure type Agatha Christie games on here. The last ones are more like the Nancy Drew games. These are: Murder On The Orient Express, And Then There Were None and Evil Under The Sun.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 5, 11 11:23 AM
Yep I knew that but I've forgotten which ones players said are the easiest!

DutchJames
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by DutchJames on Aug 5, 11 12:29 PM
It's hard to compare a straight HOG to an adventure game though.

[Post New]by jaycsc1970 on Aug 5, 11 2:06 PM
The best nancy drew game is blackmoor manor. The best out of all the games.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 5, 11 4:56 PM
jaycsc1970 wrote:The best nancy drew game is blackmoor manor. The best out of all the games.

...but I also heard that it's one of the hardest. It wasn't that complicated for me during the demo, but i suppose that there are hard riddles later on in the game.

[Post New]by vickyshag on Aug 31, 11 6:47 AM
I think all the Nancy Drew series are worth the money but my favorites are: (if you like light and fun) Ransom of the Seven Ships and Secret of the Old Clock, (or if you like creepy) Curse of Blackmoor Manor, The Haunting of Castle Malloy and Shadow at the Water's Wedge. I like a good challenge and a long in depth game, though, so these may not be your favorites.

Also, I recommend doing the more difficult ones after you have gotten a feel for the games with some easier ones. That way you may not have to seek help in the forums or walkthroughs as much, and it will feel more like a success.

The easiest ones, I thought, were Creature at Kapu Cave (but this one is VERY short and may not be worth the money to you), The Haunted Carousel, The Final Scene, The Phantom of Venice, and Danger on Deception Island.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Watch out! They are addicting!

[Post New]by denisseerika on Feb 2, 13 7:25 AM
1.Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon-Nevada
This is the best ND game for me since it's challenging but solvable at the same time. Actually, this is the only ND game where I did not use any walkthrough so I've really enjoyed solving the puzzles. The hardy boys are also in this game! There are so many surprises inside the train like different dolls,secret rooms.

2. Tomb of the Lost Queen-Egypt
You're out in a dig site in Cairo to search for the lost queen:Nefertari. The hieroglyphs are really interesting and the secret areas are amazing! The graphics and gameplay were improved and user-friendly.

3.Danger by Design-France
You'll really feel really immersed in the French culture & people are also laid back and enjoyable (except your boss). The mini games are creatively unique from the other ND games.

4.Secrets at Shadow Ranch -Arizona
This is the one of my faves! You get to learn how to ride a horse and do some chores in the ranch like picking up eggs ang veggies, making horse food etc.
which is pretty homey though picking veggies is one hard task

5.Phantom of Venice-Italy
You'll be given a PDA which will help you track the "masked man" so you need to be super sneaky or else he might catch you too! There are great activities too like dancing in a studio, dressing up for disguise, and feeding a micro camera to a bird (it's cruel, yeah). Don't miss Scopa!

6. Message in the Haunted Mansion-California
You will need to hunt the ghost in a 19th century castle. The house is also filled with Chinese symbols & secret passages that'll let you peep around the whole castle without people seeing you.Sweet!

7.The Captive's Curse-Germany
If you're into card and board games, you'd really enjoy this one. This sure is one of the creepiest ND games. I just got dizzy roaming around the castle.

8.Waverly Academy-New York
In this all girls school, you need to uncover the black cat who's been terrorizing the students. I like the mini games better than the game. The place is just so boring but I will never get tired of serving food in the canteen.

9.Alibi in Ashes-River Heights
In this game Nancy was arrested for allegedly burning down the town hall. You get to play nancy,bess,george, & ned since Nancy's in jail but's really hard to switch among the characters though.

10.Shadow at the Water's Edge-Japan
This is the worst ND game I've played. For me it's just too boring with few people to interact,confusing train routes though you'll get a taste of Japanese horror.

Go to: