Reviews for Art Mogul

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Art Mogul

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 3, 11 12:36 AM
The game concept is interesting and entertaining. It's a straight HOG with some adventure! The game is somewhat similar to the Tycoon game "Chocolatier" except that this time you need to buy and sell pictures, make profit instead of chocolate! You need to find the objects given in the pictures before you can actually buy it! Graphics are nice and clear but the music sounds silly.... I will be thinking of buying it later, have to save my money for tmr's CE!

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: C
Music: D
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: B
Gameplay: B
Overall: B

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 12:40:23 AM PST

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Re:Reviews for Art Mogul

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 3, 11 12:41 AM
Hi fishies,

This thread has now been stickied. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

sct1968
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sct1968 on Aug 3, 11 12:49 AM
hmmm (rubs eyes) i must have fallen asleep. this game was so boring.
ironically i had canceled my club membership around 1:30 a.m. and then got to playing a really good game and decided to reinstate my membership. then 3:00 rolls around and BFG puts out this garbage,to remind me why i want to cancel.

please note that i do realize that this game would appeal to some art buffs and so it's not garbage to everyone

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 12:59:02 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Aug 3, 11 12:58 AM
I love this game. Did not even play into the demo five minutes before deciding to purchase! I love historical art, so right off the bat, it was a buy. The graphics are gorgeous, and the game play thus far seems interesting enough, but story or no story, for me, just give me the art!

Addendum August 3, 2011

After purchasing and playing this game for a little while, I can only say, that I'm still enjoying it very much. It is unlike a previous art game offered on this site (? I forget the name of it) awhile back, which I really hated.

In this game (Art Mogul), as someone mentioned elsewhere, it is very similar to Chocolatier games, which I also love. No it is not fast paced action, but instead all about wheelings and dealings, to earn more money in your business, and I have to admit, that purchasing and trying to sell the counterfeits is perhaps not ethical, but fun! It is a great alternative way to making some extra money, and see what you can get away with. Try selling them at any gallery, and you will be denied.

I must say too, that I usually hate spot the differences in games, but for this one, it is quite fun... perhaps because there is a real purpose to it, as in getting more money for the art you sell, or paying less for art you purchase. None of the objects are difficult to find, but may take a few minutes to spot. I think the scroll feature back and forth is nicer then the usually side by side, because it helps in seeing the color or movement change in the scenes to spot the differences easier. Anyone who tries the game out, will understand what I'm saying here.

In this game, you travel around the world buying and selling art at galleries, cafe's, and in auctions. It will be fun to see just how much money I can make or not in the business of art.

So far I have not experienced any technical glitches in the game, and the music is nice and intermittent. It usually plays between location scenes, but when you are working... finding hidden objects or STD's, then the music is minimal if none at all. You can also turn it off. Also, when you begin the game, there is a slight learning curve, but once you get going, it becomes easy to understand. There is a slight tutorial, but not really needed. Basically, it is just traveling around to buy & sell art for the most profit.

There is definitely replayability factor here in this game as well, which is always a plus when you spend your real hard earned cash.

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 9:35:12 AM PST

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Aug 3, 11 1:38 AM
Have only played 1/2 hour of demo & find the concept quite interesting. Have two "Hidden World of Art" games that I keep going back to so this will probably be a good addition. Will probably buy with a punch-card. Like games you can do different things. This looks like one. Wonder what happens if you buy a forgery! Lose your bucks I suppose. What happens if you go broke???

Wicked500
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Wicked500 on Aug 3, 11 2:35 AM
Played the full hour. I was just beginning to understand the buying and selling aspects of the game. The game is by FUNZAI, never heard of them. I liked the art work, but I won't be buying it. This game is just not my cup of tea. I probably will recommend it to my sister to try, she is an art buff. To all you fishies that enjoy this type of game - happy gaming

dazzer109
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by dazzer109 on Aug 3, 11 2:40 AM
yeah agree with the previous post. think i will cancel my membership now as for me this is just a hidden object game site now. never any decent time management games anymore, just the same old dirge

[Post New]by heatherington on Aug 3, 11 2:55 AM
I lasted until I got to the first STD. How many times do we have to tell the developers that we don't like those things? Especially since I cannot compare side by side. Other than that they had a great idea. I would have loved to bought it just for the art, but they messed it up with their dumb idea of what a game should be. And where are the hidden objects? One or two items in a picture does not a hidden object game make.

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Aug 3, 11 3:11 AM
whoa...what a bunch of garbage...definately not a **** game...would not buy ...could not even get passed two minutes of the trial...
Sure hope Big Fish starts getting better **** games or I am cancelling my subscription...

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Aug 3, 11 3:41 AM
I actually enjoyed the 40 min. I played. I think it all boils down to what you consider fun. For me, not enough to buy the game now, maybe as a DD down the road. Seems more of a strategy-type game than H.O. Not enough adventure (or creepiness) for my taste. I did like the artwork, the music didn't bother me (soft jazz more than anything), and the actual gameplay wasn't bad. Could do with a little less clickity in the navigation, but it was ok all in all.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 3, 11 4:12 AM
This is a straightforward-hog with also strategy parts. I will put in on my "games for later list" now (I will buy it, if we have the next sale or if it becomes avaiable one day as a Daily Deal).

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 3, 11 4:15 AM
heatherington wrote:I lasted until I got to the first STD. How many times do we have to tell the developers that we don't like those things? Especially since I cannot compare side by side. Other than that they had a great idea. I would have loved to bought it just for the art, but they messed it up with their dumb idea of what a game should be. And where are the hidden objects? One or two items in a picture does not a hidden object game make.

There are a few of us that like find-the-difference games.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 3, 11 4:16 AM
So disappointed. I saw a preview for this game and thought it seemed interesting. It's not for me. The graphics are pretty terrible, except for the actual pieces of art. The music isn't bothersome, but it isn't great. The gameplay, like others said, is somewhat like Chocolatier. You buy art, you sell it. You get a discount for finding the hidden objects in a piece of art. I found a couple of really terrible sentences, like, "The travel is made!" I feel exactly like I did about yesterday's game! I applaud their efforts to do something different, but the game just does not grab me at all.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 3, 11 4:47 AM
I wish I could review this game, but unfortunately, as soon as it downloaded, I received the message that my time was up. Really? Was I in a fugue state when I played the game? Oh well, obviously this game is not for me because I'm certainly not buying it when I can't try it out.

maryerbe
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by maryerbe on Aug 3, 11 5:02 AM
hello,well i havent played the game yet because i always come here first to see every one elses reviews,That is what this Thread is right?I really dont want to read about how much you think Bigfish is doing a bad job or your going to Cancel your Membership ,im pretty sure there is some where else you can write that or complain ,As far as i knew this is for comments about the game you just played .thank you sorry but i happen to like it here very much and Bigfish is doing a great job .Have a nice Day

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 3, 11 5:18 AM
This is really different! I agree with some. It will only appeal to those that really enjoy art. I am one of them and did like the trial that I played. Don't know if it's something that I will purchase though. It's a bit confusing till you get rolling so give it a chance.
You buy and sell art. Find forgeries and travel to different cities.
Very hard to give a review on. It's to technical I guess Either that or I am not fully awake yet!

I did have the same problem as jennsmom. I downloaded once and got a message that said the game manager could not activate. Downloaded a second time and it said please purchase as I am out of time. The third time was a charm! Then I got to play.
Seems that foe me this has been happening a lot since the new game manager.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Aug 3, 11 5:37 AM
This is definitely a demo before you try game. It's a tycoon type game I guess, with hidden object elements. In my case I loved it.

What I love:

1) Art!!! Love art, wish I were an art dealer IRL
2) Similarity to Chocolatier but different at the same time, both in good ways
3) Freedom in how you approach the game/achieve goals.

You can play this any way you like: if you like hidden object solving, buy and sell art. If you like spot-the-differences, deal with fakes and sell them in cafes. If you like beating a clock/timer, attend the auctions. If you like traveling around acquiring specific pieces, undertake requests for particular art. When you open your own gallery, you are able to choose your preferred theme and then travel to acquire art for display within that theme.

I used a punch card on this.

ETA: minor gripe, when I activated the game, it did not save my profile and I had to start from scratch.

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 5:40:38 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 3, 11 5:39 AM
bratzgram wrote:This is really different! I agree with some. It will only appeal to those that really enjoy art. I am one of them and did like the trial that I played. Don't know if it's something that I will purchase though. It's a bit confusing till you get rolling so give it a chance.
You buy and sell art. Find forgeries and travel to different cities.
Very hard to give a review on. It's to technical I guess Either that or I am not fully awake yet!

I did have the same problem as jennsmom. I downloaded once and got a message that said the game manager could not activate. Downloaded a second time and it said please purchase as I am out of time. The third time was a charm! Then I got to play.
Seems that foe me this has been happening a lot since the new game manager.

I'm glad I read your message, bratzgram. I'll try downloading it again.

[Post New]by 70summerfield on Aug 3, 11 5:53 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I found this game confusing. It's unclear how to begin, and trying to exit the game is a challenge in itself. The art work is gorgeous, but playing the game was a bit difficult for me. Based on my demo experience, it's a "no buy". If I've missed the point here , somone help me out!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 3, 11 6:02 AM
I was finally able to download on my second try. However, as much as I wanted to love this game because of the art, I didn't. Handholding isn't really necessary, but some direction would be nice. Also, while I rather like StheDs, I want both pictures on the same page. I do not want to have to go back and forth. Exit? One must search for that. All in all, nice idea, lovely artwork, not terribly annoying music, but the game itself did not enthrall. I'm disappointed.

Go to: