Reviews for Bus Driver

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Bus Driver

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 3, 11 12:45 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Bus Driver? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:Reviews for Bus Driver

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 3, 11 12:51 AM
This game looked fun - the graphics are great BUT

no way can I drive on the right hand side of the road. My brain is not trained for this lol-

Good going to any LHS driver that can manage

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 3, 11 1:06 AM
I downloaded it to see if it would work (sorry but I'm having problems).

It did work but it's not for me. I'm driving a bus, on the wrong side of the road, picking up children!!! lol!

The controls seem to be by keyboard, arrows are fine and understandable for faster, slower, left and right, but when I saw I had to press a square bracket to indicate (blinkers), I realised that I would never get it.

I picked up a whole card full of penalty points just pulling out of the bus station, and it looks like in later levels you get to drive round mountains, without crash barriers!!

I think it will be a whole load of fun if you like this sort of thing, and especially if, unlike me and govegirl, you can cope with the rhs driving.

[Post New]by Holkis on Aug 3, 11 1:18 AM
I have tried to play this this morning but when the game came on the picture is that spread out on the screen so effectively i am only shown half of the screen. If i were able to access the options screen and take full screen off i am sure this would work. I gather the basics of the game are keyboard commands, does anyone know how to get options up or if there is a solution to this.??

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 1:18:55 AM PST

eluvre
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by eluvre on Aug 3, 11 2:26 AM
I love driving games and was very excited about Bus Driver. After 30 minutes of play time, the game became just too complicated to dive into. Therefore, Bus Drive is a bust for me. I had the toughest time navigating the bus and picked up TONS of penalties in the process. Several years ago, this game would have been easy peasy for me and keeper because I had a surplus of patience then. But now that I'm older I no longer have said patience to learn and play such a complicated game. So, I'm going to pass on it.

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 9:46:46 AM PST

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Aug 3, 11 3:07 AM
Here is my review of "Bus Driver":

GRAPHICS: 4 out of 5. Very nice, older 3D graphics. Not the bright and shininess of today's big name hits, but crisp and clean. Everything is easy to read. The bus looks jerky around corners, but that could also be my driving.

SOUND: 4 out of 5. You can adjust the music and the effects for whatever you prefer from full sound to nothing at all. I prefer no music and full effects. The vehicles sounds and noise of the passengers was very well done.

GAMEPLAY: 2 out of 5. This is where the game really slips. You need to use the keyboard to play the game. There are settings for an external controller, which I don't have so I couldn't test. I am very familiar with the alternative set-up for the keyboard, so I had little trouble, but non-keyboard users will have it really rough. You can, however, set what keys you'd like to use for each bus function. There are a lot of them to learn, so make crib notes on paper. You can hit Esc and F1 for help if you need it. That said, it's still hard to control the bus when it's in motion, even harder to stop it.

FUN FACTOR: 4 out of 5 (or 2 of 5). A bit of a guilty pleasure if you like to break the rules and not play seriously. I had a great time smashing cars and traffic lights and hearing the passengers panic. If you don't care that you get a really bad score, this can be great fun. If you really want to be a good bus driver, though, you must behave and drive nicely. Which is not so easy and might bring the Fun Factor down to 2. /

OVERALL: 14 out of 20 (or 12 out of 20). Depends on how serious you are about your driving.

Have fun, everyone!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Aug 3, 11 3:09 AM
Holkis wrote:I have tried to play this this morning but when the game came on the picture is that spread out on the screen so effectively i am only shown half of the screen. If i were able to access the options screen and take full screen off i am sure this would work. I gather the basics of the game are keyboard commands, does anyone know how to get options up or if there is a solution to this.??

Hi, Holkis! Welcome to the Pond!

You can access the keyboard controls (and change them to what you would prefer) from the Main Menu screen under Options. Choose Controller and it will show you what the current main set and the alternate set of keyboard controls are. If you have an external controller, you can set it as well.

Hope that helps!

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 3:12:56 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 3, 11 4:06 AM
I think if you like this type of game, its maybe the right game for me. But for me its a little bit too complicated and a no buy.

ultravl
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

MUSIC

[Post New]by ultravl on Aug 3, 11 6:56 AM
I could never get the hang of keyboard control games....more complication than "fun" so it is not a purchase for me but i give points for the soundtrack !! Quite enjoyable.

[Post New]by Revengeroxy on Aug 3, 11 7:00 AM
I really liked it, i think there should have been an obvious tutorial, if there was one i couldnt find it. I dont normally post reviews but i think if i had the money it would be a buy. Also i was wondering if there was more driving simulations...

SAN8402
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by SAN8402 on Aug 3, 11 8:05 AM
Have to agree with ultravl. Never could get into games using keyboard commands. Too complicated. Even though I turn off the music when I'm learning to play so it's not a distraction, I must say I really liked this music. Has more of a rock edge too it. I prefer games that allow me to use my mouse to control them. I couldn't even get the bus out of the starting point. A no buy for me! Hope all you other fishies enjoy it!

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Aug 3, 11 9:54 AM

Adorable game.
While l very slowly started to get the hang of driving the bus at the end of the demo, l bought it.
And l don't regret it.

There are 6 'chapters' and every chapter has 6 different buses. You have to drive the bus from A to B with a variety of challenges for all 6 buses.

The graphics are fantastic.

Using the keyboard is not too hard. How otherwise can one make speed, use ignition and look left or right at the same time?

Tip: try - by clicking the C while you start the game - for a different point of view: the busdrivers seat. Might make it easier.

Tip: drive slowly; slow down upon getting to a red traffic light or a bus stop.

The more l try to play as driving in real life, the better l get.
l do not drive as if l'm drunk, as what it looked like at the start.
l do have still trouble though with sharp curves, let alone: go around the corner turning left or right.

l'll continue my driving lessons.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Aug 3, 11 12:29 PM

Ok, so I'm driving along and I come to a red light. I got a little confused with the controls and I hit the gas instead of the brakes and I inadvertently ran the red light, side-swiped another car and slammed into a gas station. My bus then exploded into a huge, magnificent fireball. Is this supposed to happen? I mean, it would have been nice to be able to get out and use the restroom first.

SeaDreams
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by SeaDreams on Aug 3, 11 3:54 PM
Was not even going to try this game as this is too much like work for me!!!! I am a bus driver. But to be fair to the creators of the game I did try it. First the graphics are great!!! The use of keyboard is not that easy and steering from the back of bus view makes it harder to stay in the lane, as any passenger who" backseat drives" can tell you it distorts the perception of the lane. So now we as players are already at a disadvantage just trying to stay in the lane! To make it more realistic it would have been better to drive from the Drivers Seat and had the inside rearview mirror show the passangers acting up, moving seats, throwing things at each other and telling the bus driver How to drive! Also the cars, trucks ect. should change lanes directly in front of the bus cutting it off and changing lanes without signals,running red lights, speeding up and cutting in front and stopping in front of the bus for no reason. Don't get me wrong I love my job, every day is an adventure! But this is just an example of what it is really like to drive a bus, so if your going to make a game realistic, I say go all the way put in more distractions but make it mouse controlled and from the driver seat perspective. To me it would make a more interesting game to have that "real world" feel to the traffic and passanger behaviors. Also the traffic lights were so tiny it was very difficult to tell if they were red or green, so running a red light was so easy to do. So no buy for me, maybe you could make it in a roller coaster! Now that would be a fun change for me! I do wish others happy gaming, just try it for yourself, if you can master the keyboard controls you might like it.

Gemcats
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Gemcats on Aug 3, 11 3:54 PM
Re eviews for Bus Driver
by TuffTadpoles on August 3, 12:29 PM

Ok, so I'm driving along and I come to a red light. I got a little confused with the controls and I hit the gas instead of the brakes and I inadvertently ran the red light, side-swiped another car and slammed into a gas station. My bus then exploded into a huge, magnificent fireball. Is this supposed to happen? I mean, it would have been nice to be able to get out and use the restroom first.

LOL love it! I felt the same way... still can't decide if I want the game or not though lol!

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Aug 3, 11 4:15 PM
This reminds me of a game I acquired years ago of the same name (maybe an update of said game as I can't recall the developer). At the time, my virus software gave me a false positive and I didn't understand those so I deleted the game. Really pleased to see something similar here as its a surprisingly fun game.

Driving a bus is nothing like driving a car (at least on a computer, and I imagine IRL). Buses are very heavy, turn slowly, and are generally less responsive to acceleration and braking. Trying to negotiate cliff curves and other drivers requires a lot more anticipation and forethought. You really get a sense of how heavy a bus is and your overall control is hampered.

This is the kind of game that is potentially fun for people, even if they don't normally play arcade/action type game. It's something you can put on for 15-20 minutes and enjoy as a break in a busy schedule, or a spend an evening on to forget the worries of the day. It gets progressively harder and requires a good deal of concentration but isn't overly taxing on the brain.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Aug 3, 11 10:44 PM
I lasted less than 2 minutes. I just don't have any skills at controlling a keypad. I hope the rest of you have fun. BTW the only reason I tried this game out at all is my sister is a school bus driver.

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Aug 4, 11 1:37 AM
Not much fum.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Aug 4, 11 10:40 AM

SeaDreams wrote:
The use of keyboard is not that easy and steering from the back of bus view makes it harder to stay in the lane, as any passenger who" backseat drives" can tell you it distorts the perception of the lane. So now we as players are already at a disadvantage just trying to stay in the lane! To make it more realistic it would have been better to drive from the Drivers Seat...

Put the Cheetos down, lick your fingers and press the "C" key on your keyboard. The "C" key toggles the camera between a behind-the-bus view and a driver's seat view.

[Post New]by gyoung33 on Aug 4, 11 12:31 PM
you can not play it on your laptop.

Go to: