bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 11 12:55 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 1:01:34 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 4, 11 12:58 AM
Played for 15 mins and bought it! It's from Elephant Games so the game is great as usual! Graphics are nice, well-made but not as great as Mystery Trackers or Hallowed Legends. Story is great, interesting but i think it's not detailed enough. Puzzles are good, fun and challenging, HOG scenes are also easy to find. There're 3 modes you can choose from, good music but no voice overs This is not the best game from this dev and also not the best HOG in these few months but i still love it!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A*
Fun: A
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Aug 4, 11 1:01 AM
I'm excited to finally see this game here. I haven't had the time to play the sample version so I can't leave a review yet. Looks great and I'll be back after I play.
Happy Gaming

Thanks TeamSD for your review.

After playing: I liked that the game has 3 playing modes, first time I've seen this but it's a no buy for me. The colors are beautiful, had no problem with the dl or the black bars others have noted. However, I'm still looking for a different theme and this game is like so many with the "dark" theme and a demon. Hat's off to all who enjoy.

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 7:40:09 AM PST

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Aug 4, 11 1:18 AM
This game does not work in full screen mode.

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Aug 4, 11 1:40 AM
This game was a bit more challenging than the last few Adventure-HOGs released, which was a nice surprise. I loved that this one gives you 3 difficulty options, I hope that becomes standard. I thought it was a nice touch that the inventory items aren't always used in the most obvious ways, there's a bit more thinking involved, a bit more frustration, too, but it makes success all the more rewarding.

My hesitation to buy comes from how slowly the demo ran on my computer. Using the non-custom cursor helped speed things up a smidge, but it made maneuvering through the town a bit more complicated. This game requires A LOT of retracing steps and moving around, so my speed issue weighed negatively on my experience.

Overall: A-

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Aug 4, 11 2:10 AM
Just played a few minutes of the demo, and when I found out there are the dreaded black lines on top, bottom and the sides of my screen, I exited the game. I'll wait to play the game when it comes out in SE, and then maybe buy it then, but it's a "no buy" for the CE price when the actual game screen is so small. ( yes, I know I can manually change my resolution, but don't feel I should have to, especially for a CE)

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 4, 11 2:18 AM
This game is wonderful. Its by Elephant Games, one of my favorite developers. It has 3 modes, casual, advanced and hardcore so plenty of replay value. I, myself, played on advanced and it was pretty tricky. I actually missed a lot of places. It doesn't even show you where hidden object scenes are. The premise of this game is you are trying to figure out what happened to your sister many years ago and if you can figure it out, the demon will release her back to you but if you do not then the demon will take you as well.

The hidden object scenes are very nicely done. Tasteful, wonderful graphics. There are no voiceovers but it doesn't matter because the way the dialogue boxes are, it completes the story perfectly. The chapters appear to be linear although you frequently return to the same place to find pictures and they are what advance you forward. I haven't seen any snakes or spiders except in hidden object scenes but there are evil clowns which personally creep me out. There is a lot to discover in each chapter. The mac version is released the same day as pc, always a plus and the mac version gives you an entire hour of time to play so in an hour I reached chapter 2 out of 6 (could be 5...I don't have minutes to go check) and a bonus game however I skipped a few games because I wanted to see what this had to offer. The music wasn't bothersome at all.

My only huge beef with this game is, I never understood what people talked about when they had black bars on the side of computer. I've bought n played hundreds of games and I've never once had that problem but I do with this game. However, that being said, I totally forgot about the bars and I didn't notice them while playing this game because it was so intriguing so its not something that would deter me from buying it. This is the first CE without voiceovers that I would consider buying. Usually thats a dealbreaker for me but this game is tremendously awesome. Thank you elephant games

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 4, 11 2:18 AM
Of course this is a "Fine Swine". Most of the CE's are. The graphics in the game are really pretty, but a little grainy. But very beautiful. I had to adjust my resolution for fullscreen. I wish it had voice over. That would have really added alot to this game. We've seen the story before. A little dark, but I'm sure many will love that. I'm not a big fan of the darker games, but that doesn't stop me from buying them.

There are so many great CE's it's hard to decide which one's to get now. I want them all. But all in time. Of course this is going to be a big hit. This one is very challenging in it's game play. It's not a simple hog. It's an adventure game with strong challenges. I wish there would have been a longer opening for the story. But I'm sure you'll all love this one.

I would like to say, be sure to check out the soft release today, it's a good game. Don't pass it up. It's worth checking out and a buy for me.

I'll be getting this one in time. Enjoy!

I rate this game "FINE SWINE" of course. looks like the CE's are were the great games are now. Very few SE's of the CE's.

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 4, 11 2:37 AM
Elephant Games, I quite like these.
Graphics are really good.
3 different modes to play, casual, hard, advanced.
Music is nice but no voices.
Nicely creepy ( the priest !!!)
Puzzles are good.
There seems to be a lot of things to do and items to find (I have quite a few which I haven't used yet but you use some of them straight away), the story is good but it reminds me of something, another game as I didn't beta tested this one, but can't remember which.
A buy for me and another CE

(only played 20 minutes).

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Aug 4, 11 3:10 AM
I like the game so far, and even though the **** scenes seemed small I had no issues finding the items.
I also have the bars top and bottom, but I rarely do not have them.

Depending on length I just might buy this ce, but it has to be long for me to consider buying it.

So far I give this game 4 out 5 depending on length.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Aug 4, 11 3:25 AM
I don't get it. Why is a full screen such a big deal for some?

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Aug 4, 11 3:31 AM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS WAS SENT TO US AS A TRIAL VERSION TO TEST, I KNOW I HAVE PLAYED IT BEFORE. I KNOW WHERE TO GO ON THE GAMES AND WHAT TO LOOK FOR CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE.NONE OF THE REVIEWS SEEM TO HELP ME

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Aug 4, 11 3:31 AM
To Miss Lisa: I'm glad someone liked today's soft release but it drove me crazy. You must have young eyes!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 4, 11 3:47 AM
grannyq wrote:To Miss Lisa: I'm glad someone liked today's soft release but it drove me crazy. You must have young eyes!

I understand, I said the objects are hard to find, but I thought it was an o.k. game. Glad you tried it. I like to at least see people try a game. You never know what works for someone.

menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by menora on Aug 4, 11 4:37 AM
I really liked this game. Lots of going backwards and forwards as you finally work out how to get the items you need and then have to remember where you needed them but that was part of the fun.
I found the HOG scenes very clear and not too frequent (which is another plus for me). I played at the hardest difficulty level which meant basically no hints at all so I actually had to find all the items and I never once strained my eyes trying to do it (again another plus).
I don't buy CEs usually so will probably hold out for the standard version but I'm tempted with this one

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 4, 11 4:47 AM
I am happy to see a game offer three difficulty levels! It makes replay an option.
Really enjoyed the demo.
Navigation was quick and easy which is a good thing because you have to move from scene to scene a lot.
The graphics and soundtrack were fine.
Hidden object scenes were very well done. No teeny tiny objects! Hint refills fast.
The mini games were just difficult enough to give you a good challenge and could be skipped quickly if needed.
You may want to keep a list of what is needed and where! I am going to.
The strategy guide was very easy to use. I finished the first chapter with 6 min. left. I believe there are 6 chapters so if they are all the approximate same length it should be great. Especially with the bonus play.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 4, 11 4:47 AM
This is a great ihog/adventure game from one my favourite game developers. Graphic is great, also the gameplay and especially the storyline for me. Its a buy for me - as the CE

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Aug 4, 11 4:59 AM
glb613 wrote:I don't get it. Why is a full screen such a big deal for some?

I don't get it why would a developer charge CE price for a game and not provide a full screen for a game. It's a big deal for me so I can find the hidden objects.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 4, 11 5:02 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:Well I enjoyed it, at the puzzles took a bit of thinking not like STAN where you could have been blindfolded and done them.

quote]

STAN??

Ourself94
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by Ourself94 on Aug 4, 11 5:05 AM
I beta tested this game, did not have a single issue with it. I have been waiting 6 months for this game!!! I even emailed the developers to ask when it would come out!! I can't wait to play it. The beta version was awsome!!! However, it looks like there are alot of technical issues other people are having, so I'm holding my breath. If there are issues I hope the developers will fix quickly. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS GAME!!

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 5:12:15 AM PST

Go to: