What about the gold, silver and bronze . . . .?

[Post New]by triazzledan on Aug 9, 11 10:46 AM
The best I can tell you is that to get gold you must meet the time challenge presented at the start of the game. Bronze is a beginner score and silver is in the middle. I am the inventor of Triazzle and have been playing it in numerous forms for 20 years. Without practicing a level my normal score is Bronze - so don't feel bad if you don't get gold - it just takes practice like any game. HOWEVER . . . Triazzle Island is all about relaxing and using your head to solve puzzles, so I ignore the scoring and just play! If you want an objective, let it be to build your skills and get through the whole game! Happy Triazzling . . .

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,755 Posts

Re:What about the gold, silver and bronze . . . .?

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 9, 11 12:18 PM
According to what we read on the internet and what BFG has said in the forums, most casual gamers are older women. Women often play games because of the feelings of fun, adventure, challenge and accomplishment and also to relax. I know the timer should not bother me but it is there and it reminds me after each puzzle how much time it has taken me to complete the puzzle. Then it compares me to some arbitrary time and says that I could get that time if I would only try harder.

I understand that I can play and ignore the silver or gold achievements. I can play a level and it takes 4 to 5 minutes to complete, even when I have replayed it several times. The game then tells me that I should be able to complete it in 40 seconds to get the gold. So even though I have tried my best I am so far off the mark that it is embarrassing. The game has hurt my feelings. Even though those feelings are not logical, they are still there. It’s not a big deal. It’s only a game. But if you want to sell more games perhaps you would consider making the game kinder. Of course that is totally your choice but I just thought I would throw out there why I haven’t purchased the game.

I love puzzle games and I purchase most of the puzzle games that come to BFG and often get other puzzle games elsewhere. I have done lots of walkthroughs for puzzle games and posted them on youtube.

On August 2, 2011 BFG posted an editorial on their blog titled The Psychology of Gaming. Here is an excerpt from the article.

“Developers need to be careful to balance game difficulty with player skill level and introducing more difficult challenges as game play progresses. If the game is too challenging and frustrating too soon, players will disengage and give up.”

Here is the link to the complete article.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/the-psychology-of-gaming/

I imagine that you have made this game easier in the early levels and more difficult in the higher levels. Unfortunately for me the skill needed to get the gold jumped to a much higher level of difficulty at such an early stage that I felt too discouraged and gave up on this game.

Now on the logical side, how did you test and assign the times to the levels? Did your beta testers play all of the levels? Were they able to get gold on all levels? Were your beta testers of various age ranges?

I hope this game and your future games do well. The concept, graphics and game play are wonderful.

[Post New]by triazzledan on Aug 9, 11 12:37 PM
Hi Lizzie, yes we did thorough testing but your comments are all very valuable and we are certainly aware of all of these issues regarding our market and the levels of frustration versus reward. We are looking to player feedback to refine Triazzle Island and will be considering all of this in forthcoming updates! Thanks!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,755 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 9, 11 3:28 PM
Gold - Use no hints or the number of hints allowed on that puzzle and beat the time challenge shown at the beginning of the puzzle and at bottom of the screen.

Silver -Use no hints or use the number of hints allowed on that puzzle and solve the puzzle in an unlimited amount of time. You can take 5 minutes to solve a 30 second puzzle and you will still get silver as long as you don't use hints.

Silver - Use hints or more hints than allowed on that puzzle and beat the time challenge. If you beat the time challenge but use more hints than allowed you will only get silver.

Bronze - Use hints or the number of hints allowed on that puzzle and solve the puzzle but don't beat the time challenge.

When you replay a Triazzle puzzle the layout of the triangles stays the same, but the animals change and also the formula of the arrangement of the animals changes. So you can't try to remember how a certain combination works and replay the puzzle over and over because the combinations of how the animals are arranged are random.

On the Trilink puzzles the layout and pieces stay the same on replay. So you can improve your time on those puzzles by remembering the arrangement that worked.

Edited on 08/10/2011 at 4:29:53 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,755 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 9, 11 3:30 PM
How did you test and assign the times to the levels? Did your beta testers play all of the levels? Were they able to get gold on all levels? Were your beta testers of various age ranges?

[Post New]by triazzledan on Aug 9, 11 4:40 PM
LizzieK wrote:How did you test and assign the times to the levels? Did your beta testers play all of the levels? Were they able to get gold on all levels? Were your beta testers of various age ranges?

The game was tested on a variety of ages. Some players were able to get gold on all levels. That said, we welcome feedback on how to make Triazzle Island better and take all your comments seriously!

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Aug 13, 11 5:47 PM
Boy you need to really get rid of that timer. I remember playing the cardboard kind of your puzzles. The kids I take care of still do. No timer in real life why in the computer game. I really think you would have sold alot more here if it wasn't for the timer.Also the side puzzles need hints like in the other part of the game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,439 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 13, 11 6:02 PM
I bought it and I'm enjoying it!

The timer doesn't make you lose and have to start over from the game beginning. I especially love the "rewind" function that undoes your last move.

The time is just there for your own information if you want to compete to increase your own time score. If not, just ignore it. I do.

I don't mind not having the answers to the puzzles available because that is the challenge - not the time.

You might not be able to solve a given puzzle today but just come back and try again.

Go to: