bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Jessica Secret of the Caribbean

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 10, 11 12:50 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Jessica Secret of the Caribbean? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jessica Secret of the Caribbean

[Post New]by sinshack on Aug 10, 11 1:10 AM
Well, all I can say is give this one a try, it just might suit you. I don't expect it will suit most of the fishies, but some might actually enjoy it, so please do not order anyone not to even give it a try. Go ahead and hate it if you must, but let those who do enjoy it have their say, too.

It is a very simple game, so experienced players will probably not enjoy it unless they are looking for light entertainment. The cutscenes are cartoons, but the H0 scenes are more photo-realistic, which is a sharp contrast.

The music was extremely annoying, and it takes a lot for me to say that (I've lived through 3 kids learning musical instruments, and 2 are still in high school orchestra and band....) I usually turn down the music so it doesn't wake up the kids (it's 4:00 am here now) but this time I actually had to turn it down completely after only a few minutes.

There is certainly a lot of variety in the H0 scenes and puzzles, and that is probably one of the drawbacks for me. First finding from a list, then shadow outlines, then the dreaded STD (Spot the Difference), then regular puzzles, the game never really settled down into a comfort zone for me. It seemed like I was franticly trying to play as many games in as short a time as possible. This feeling was enhanced by the story jumping forward far too quickly.

The hint recharged quickly, only about 20-30 seconds. I didn't need it much because the developers must have listened to complaints about junkpile hidden object scenes. Virtually anything that isn't part of the room is on the list, so there isn't a lot of challenge there. Some of the objects are very small, though (not many, but some) so I needed a hint to locate them.

The only "hard" puzzle I encountered was a guess-the-number puzzle, and it was only hard because it doesn't play out quite like we are used to. HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILER <<numbers repeat, and the correct numbers are not indicated in their current positions. As an example, guess "1234" with the 4 correct, and the result will be "X000" instead of "000X">> so it was a bit more difficult.

Overall, I'd buy it as a DD just as a way to while away a rainy day. It's not a bad game by any stretch, certainly not as bad as an HdO or Oz, but it isn't a great game, either.

Edited on 08/10/2011 at 1:12:44 AM PST

lynn009
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by lynn009 on Aug 10, 11 1:11 AM
May have been a good game but items are so small on some scenes, will wait for more reviews.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Aug 10, 11 2:03 AM
Excellent review Sinshack!

I agreed with your point of view that
"It is a very simple game, so experienced players will probably not enjoy it unless they are looking for light entertainment."
Definitely a probable DD for me, especially as it was first released in 2009, so really it should be a DD today and not the TGT! LOL!

Edited on 08/10/2011 at 2:05:23 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 10, 11 2:46 AM
I don`t like this game. Many items are very tiny, it isn`t interactive and also not really interesting. Its a no buy for me.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 10, 11 3:05 AM
This is game OLD but NEW to BFG! The plot and the concept is pretty simple, easy and boring...graphics are average, puzzles are just normal puzzles. There're variety of HOG scenes in this game, word list, shadow or spot the differences - most items are hard to find - super tiny! Music is the drawback of this game, it's annoying and I mean very very annoying! I gonna leave this one, no buy!

Grades:

Graphics: D
Story: D
Music: F
Puzzles: C
HOG Scenes: E
Fun: D
Gameplay: E
Overall: D

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

[Post New]by goodwinalana on Aug 10, 11 4:27 AM
I have never finished a game before the free trial ended but this one I did and still had 11 mins left in the free trial.I'm not a quick player nor a slow player (LOL)
I found it very easy so a no buy for me but like the other fishes say try it out.
So I give this game 5

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Aug 10, 11 4:45 AM
This is a game that has very simple game play, low quality graphics and music that becomes annoying. That's the bad news. The good news? I actually found it very relaxing. I'm the type of person who enjoys games that have a variety of hings to do, so I found the hour trial went very quickly. Although I don't think this is going to appeal to a lot of people, there is an element that will probably enjoy it. True it is not the most sophisticated thing to ever come along, but I had fun so I used a game credit to get it. Incidentally this is the first game I've got since the beginning of July.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 10, 11 5:40 AM
They really should put this in the kids game genre. It's not a bad game but VERY simple. I played the whole hour demo just for something to do before I leave for work.

The hidden object scenes are not hidden at all. You really don't even need to read the item list just click on whatever is just laying around because you will need them all. The only problem I had was that some scenes had very teeny tiny little objects that would have been hard to find if there were any thing else in the picture.

The jigsaw puzzles are no brainers.

Find the difference? One side has objects laying around the room and the other doesn't!

The Swap the tile pictures can be a bit tricky but solvable. Most everything you can skip if you don't want to play it.

I skipped the story for the simple fact that I passed the comic book stage a few years ago
I knew when I saw such a small download it was that there couldn't be to much to this game.
Big Fish gave us a long run on CE's and I bought a few and am waiting for the others to come out in SE. For the last couple weeks though? WOW! For the poor souls that are addicted to Adventure/Hidden Object games? We are going cold turkey here!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Aug 10, 11 6:19 AM
I don't do reviews but I will comment. This is the cheapest looking game I've seen in along time. I couldn't believe how boring it is.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Aug 10, 11 6:21 AM
peglegann wrote:Excellent review Sinshack!

I agreed with your point of view that
"It is a very simple game, so experienced players will probably not enjoy it unless they are looking for light entertainment."
Definitely a probable DD for me, especially as it was first released in 2009, so really it should be a DD today and not the TGT! LOL!

Thanks, Pegleann.

On the Old/New issue, it was discussed in an older forum, but NOT because it was released at Big Fish, which is where the confusion (and hoopla) are coming from. If BFG only released games that had never been released anywhere else, it would be more like "a new game every month" than every day, because developers usually release on their own sites first, then at a pre-determined date or when the sales start slumping they offer it to other game portals so they can reach a wider audience.

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on Aug 10, 11 6:30 AM
hannah57 wrote:I don't do reviews but I will comment. This is the cheapest looking game I've seen in along time. I couldn't believe how boring it is.

I agree..Music was awful and annoying..items were extra tiny but not difficult to find if you just clicked on everything..it was usually on the list.

This is a "no buy" to say the least.

Iris for short

beentheya
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by beentheya on Aug 10, 11 8:27 AM
Wouldn't buy even at $2.99.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 10, 11 8:33 AM
After five minutes of play it went into the trashcan. I won't go into a complete review as the other little fishies have done it quite well. I would like to say that this game is probably the worst game BF has offered lately and certainly not up to their standard of games regardless of type.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 10, 11 8:44 AM
I agree.... very very easy.. no need for the hint button because all the items to find are in plain sight. no buy for me - too boring.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 10, 11 8:47 AM
Too Short finished it less then 45 min. I believe in the comments above & why did you put out. This isn't even worth a free credit. UGH! for this developer put it in the place for children.

Edited on 08/10/2011 at 8:48:50 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 10, 11 8:54 AM
Yes, extremely simply. Would be a very nice game for a beginner or a child, but not for seasoned fish. Very cartoon-like, few items hard to see, but mostly very easy. No buy for me.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 10, 11 8:58 AM
Oh my... this is such a simple game it's almost unbelievable. It starts with a wafer-thin storyline in cartoon-style and in the first room you have to 'search' for objects you just click on every thing lying around and you're done. Wow. Even my grandchildren would yawn within a minute. I didn't bother to go on playing.

No buy. Oh no.

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Aug 10, 11 10:43 AM
dancemom1 wrote:Yes, extremely simply. Would be a very nice game for a beginner or a child, but not for seasoned fish. Very cartoon-like, few items hard to see, but mostly very easy. No buy for me.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Aug 10, 11 11:37 AM
As I mentioned before,because I was actually enjoying this game , I used a credit on it. Big mistake. After I used the credit, I came across several tasks that I ended up skipping. The result was I maybe got another 30 to 40 minutes of game play before the game was over. I am outraged and I plan on lodging a complaint. It may not do any good, but I still feel that informing Big Fish of my dissatisfaction is the responsible thing to do.

Go to: