TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 14, 11 12:27 AM
Umm....the screenshots and video are attractive so how about the game???

I know i'm minority here but to be honest i don't like most of the games from BFG studio I don't like the whole series of MCF and also Hidden Expedition series. However, i really love Drawn, Life Quest and Fairway Solitaire (will try Azada soon!) But this one seems to be much better, after about half an hour of gameplay, i bought it!

Cause i don't like all of the rest HE series so i don't know anything about the end of Devil's Triangle as other people said! Graphics and animations in this game are really fantastic, there're no voice overs for dialogues but there're voice overs for cut scenes I like the music in the game and i really love the puzzles - really creative and fun! Not many HOG scenes (i think there're more and more towards the end - saw in the guide!) but most of them are difficult I also don't like the finding 29 related pairs......very confusing! If the items are not super tiny, they will be blend into the background. Not the best HOG for sure, but it seems to be a long game so hope it will worth the CE price!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A
Puzzles: A*
HOG Scenes: D
Fun: B
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/14/2011 at 2:34:48 AM PST

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by grannyq on Aug 14, 11 12:51 AM
I couldn't find the strategy guide in the demo. I don't know if I missed it but I thought I looked everywhere. I also noted that hints are limited and I don't like that. I'm not a heavy hint user but I hate restrictions. I'm not crazy about this game and I'm not sure why. I think I'll sleep on it and try it later.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 14, 11 12:52 AM
grannyq wrote:I couldn't find the strategy guide in the demo. I don't know if I missed it but I thought I looked everywhere. I also noted that hints are limited and I don't like that. I'm not a heavy hint user but I hate restrictions. I'm not crazy about this game and I'm not sure why. I think I'll sleep on it and try it later.

To access the guide, you have to click on the Menu button on the bottom left! Hints are limited but can be recharge quickly - i love the idea of the hint system but it gives no help during the adventure bit

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Aug 14, 11 12:53 AM
OMG, it's HERE!!! It's HERE!!!!

I've been waiting for this one since I did the beta back in February. This is by far the best of the Hidden Expedition series (this is number 5) and is stronger on the story than any of the previous episodes.

Stunning graphics, innovative gameplay, I can't WAIT to play the full version. One of my favorite things in the beta was a box on the cliff - you'll know what I mean when you get that far.

Ooooooh, I'm SOOOOO excited!!!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 14, 11 1:41 AM
sinshack wrote:
One of my favorite things in the beta was a box on the cliff - you'll know what I mean when you get that far.

Ooooooh, I'm SOOOOO excited!!!
I know what your mean. That part was very long to play. I used the hint button very much. But it was fun!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 14, 11 1:45 AM
I have been really fed up with games on this site lately and have been thinking I need a break n then this game comes along. I own all the Hidden Expedition games so Im no stranger to them but this is by far the best one. I was playing in expert mode and it was SOO hard that I couldn't figure out where to go and I couldn't find the strategy guide because I think its only available after you buy the game as some others have said SO I had to figure it out myself. It felt like the old days on this site when walkthroughs were rare and there weren't built in guides. I was LOST! lol & I loved every second of it! Its more adventure than Hidden Object which I like and its beautiful. You are outside in creature land looking for a pirate ship but it picks up right where devil's triangle takes off and even fills you in, in case you missed it. People will definitely say this game is too challenging but i LOVE a good challenge especially in a land that is so beautiful

Since there wasn't a strategy guide I could find, I have no idea how long it is but honestly its so breathtaking that it ended in an hour and Id be okay with it because if a game is good it doesn't matter how long it is, just that its worthwhile. This game gives me faith that there are still creative game developers. Its completely out of the box and there is one hidden object puzzle scene that took me most of the demo to complete and it was probably the hardest Hidden Object scene I've ever played and thats what I am looking for. A Challenge. Thank you BFG for renewing my faith in your website & it downloaded super quick too!

My only beef is that it wasn't released on mac the same day because this is the type of game that will look EXTRAORDINARY on a mac because of the graphics factor so now I have to be patient until it releases for mac too. but very well done developers. Thank you for something new and refreshing and not the same old formula.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Aug 14, 11 2:03 AM
TeamSD wrote:
grannyq wrote:I couldn't find the strategy guide in the demo. I don't know if I missed it but I thought I looked everywhere. I also noted that hints are limited and I don't like that. I'm not a heavy hint user but I hate restrictions. I'm not crazy about this game and I'm not sure why. I think I'll sleep on it and try it later.

To access the guide, you have to click on the Menu button on the bottom left! Hints are limited but can be recharge quickly - i love the idea of the hint system but it gives no help during the adventure bit

Okay, maybe I'm dense but after reading this post I re-entered the game to re-check as I had clicked on the menu several times while playing the demo looking for the SG. Still could not find it . Do you have to purchase the game before the SG is available or what? Thanks, BK

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on Aug 14, 11 2:09 AM
sinshack wrote:
I've been waiting for this one since I did the beta back in February. This is by far the best of the Hidden Expedition series (this is number 5) and is stronger on the story than any of the previous episodes.

Stunning graphics, innovative gameplay, I can't WAIT to play the full version.

Definately agree. Glad to see some of the errors found in the BETA version have been fixed, making the game playable for me.

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on Aug 14, 11 2:11 AM
PS: I've also found that if I uninstall the trial version BEFORE downloading the bought version of a game, it generally installs without errors.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 14, 11 2:14 AM
I like this game very much! Some HOG scenes are very different. And when you play the game for the second time, it's different again. I know that, because I must play with anorther name. Suprise!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 14, 11 2:19 AM
The last production of the BF game studios named: Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition I rated 5 stars out of 5. I really like the work of these devs.

This new production gets 5 out of 5 also, just from playing the demo. It has an interesting, nicely thrilling story, that picks up where the last Hidden Expedition left off, it has excellent graphics and the first minigame, a puzzle/hidden object game was so much fun that I absolutely had no intention to skip it.

Furthermore you can choose either to play this game in casual or in expert mode and the background music is enjoyable.
Okay, there are no voice-overs and that's a bit of a pity. But then again, you can't always have it all, can you?

A HIT this game, if you ask me!

Enjoy!

CasualGran

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Aug 14, 11 2:21 AM
Irisblues wrote:I think it has dark scenes and hard to see items , but most of all the sound track drove me insane , horrible drum like sounds had my leg shaking and I became aware I felt rushed and on edge, so before screaming ... sigh... stopped playing ! Peace

I always turn of the music in Options because I usually have the TV or radio going on in the background when I'm playing a game. If you don't like the music, then it's quite easy to turn it off so that it doesn't put you off the game completely.

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 14, 11 2:36 AM
Hi TeamSD,

thanks for starting this thread. I've gone ahead and stickied it for you.

Hey Fishies! What do you think of Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

KatzRKaren
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by KatzRKaren on Aug 14, 11 7:08 AM
I want to thank all the fishies who post here. I always read the reviews before even trying a game. Ya'll pretty much make the decision for me, especially you, Casualgran. I feel like I need to claim Big Fish on my income taxes, what with all the games i have purchased over the years. Again, thank you, and keep on playing!!!

Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Aug 14, 11 7:10 AM
WOW BF thanks for a great game It's looooooonnnnnnngggggggg over due and it works good on my old computer!!!! Definitely one to add to the list!!! Oh and the box on the cliff that was a BLAST....if your not there yet you will be soon and it was totally different and alot of fun. Have a great day everyone!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 14, 11 7:25 AM
I really liked the first in this series and was happy to see this come out.
Unfortunately it has me so stressed right now I won't purchase till I have had time to read more reviews.
The graphics and story are great and the play is right level of difficulty.
It seemed a bit scattered at the beginning but I was immediately sucked in. Wish there were voice overs but that is not a deal breaker for me.
The puzzles are very unique, fun and skippable .
The hidden object scenes would be very difficult if they didn't offer the option to see outline of items. Some are very small.
Since they only offer the guide with the purchase i was stuck for the last fifteen minutes of the demo. I think that was a bit of a cheap trick. I played the trial in casual not advanced mode. Where would I have been if I had played advanced with no guide? I play all my games in advanced after i buy so the guide better be there when I do.
The demo froze up twice in the first 30 min. I had to completely reboot each time but because I was enjoying it so much I came right back for more. Then getting stuck with no guide really got the tension going.
It is a fantastic game and I will be purchasing. Just not right now.
1/2 out of 5

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 14, 11 7:28 AM
I wasn't all that impressed by this game to be honest. I thought it was all mixed up like a dog's breakfast as if the developers couldn't decide between a kid's game and an adult game. There were voiceovers in some places but not others and some HOGs and some puzzles but I found the puzzles were more at the juvenile level than adult. I think if they had just left out the puzzles, they would have had a decent game.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Aug 14, 11 7:57 AM
Well I really liked Devil's Triangle so I thought I'd try this game. The graphics are great. I could do without the cut scenes and voices because I'd rather read through it faster than they're talking. The game itself is plenty challenging. I thought I read that there were no hidden object scenes but to my relief there were. I won't play a hidden object game with no hidden object scenes. Anyways, a nice game to get as a SE.

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Aug 14, 11 8:03 AM
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! this game ! I'm playing in the expert mode and taking my time. At times, I feel like tearing my hair out, but it makes me think, and I'm also smiling and laughing a lot. I've seen some "old friends", and it kind of takes me back to another time when I totally loved playing the games. I've become so bored with the games lately that I had planned on discontinuing my membership until Nov. Lately, it seems like all the games are the SOS--same stories, same puzzles, etc.

I think the best compliment I can give this game is that I just don't want to quit playing . I haven't felt that way about any game since Dire Grove.

Kudos to the devs!

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Aug 14, 11 8:09 AM
This game is great! I think it rates up there with Amazon.
The puzzles are unusual and fun.
The hidden object scenes can be tricky and some are just downright frustrating (yet fun).
I love the artwork too!
This is just an all-encompassing level of fun.
The developers really deserve a round on the house for this one!
I daresay I don't think that MCF could touch this.....or could they???

Go to: